Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1095419408762179586

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
How long are contracts in the AAF? Is every team just going to be rolling a new roster every year?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I think all players are on 3 year contracts to start. I believe that's deliberate, to keep them from defecting to the XFL when it starts next year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DariusLikewise posted:

How long are contracts in the AAF? Is every team just going to be rolling a new roster every year?

3 year $250k contracts.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Garvin!

https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1095422786133057536

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
im absurdly enthused about this. it's something different, and after having to watch the patriots win again in one of the worst super bowls ever I feel like football really needed something different

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think someone mentioned it here earlier but I'm starting to think ESPN might be doing something with the XFL. They've hardly acknowledged the league and on Around the Horn and PTI yesterday they pretty much trashed it. Wilbon seemed disgusted to even have to talk about it.

As usual, ESPN continues to be the worst.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

wandler20 posted:

I think someone mentioned it here earlier but I'm starting to think ESPN might be doing something with the XFL. They've hardly acknowledged the league and on Around the Horn and PTI yesterday they pretty much trashed it. Wilbon seemed disgusted to even have to talk about it.

As usual, ESPN continues to be the worst.

from the people who brought you "Jason Witten, MNF commentator"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
ESPN is trying to appease the NFL anyway they can and have for ~5 years so it wouldn't surprised me if they are working as a 3rd party mouthpiece to trash the NFLs competitors

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The XFL doesn't have my favorite team the *checks writing on palm of hand* Apollos so I don't care what they do

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DariusLikewise posted:

ESPN is trying to appease the NFL anyway they can and have for ~5 years so it wouldn't surprised me if they are working as a 3rd party mouthpiece to trash the NFLs competitors

This might make sense if AAF games weren't being aired on the NFL Network. The NFL seems to have a good relationship with the AAF.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

3 years 250k non guaranteed and if you are called up to the nfl it simply suspends then rolls until your rights are available again.

So if you retire, you done. If youre cut you automatically go down! But then you can be waived the next day so... you likely won’t be. They’d likely cut a fringe guy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

This might make sense if AAF games weren't being aired on the NFL Network. The NFL seems to have a good relationship with the AAF.

It’s supported by the nfl.

ESPN is working with XFL at least in the sense of gently caress the nfl

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah the AAF is the NFL-approved d-league possibly made specifically to strangle the XFL in the crib.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I heard some talk about the AAF on local radio that was positive (the host also trashed the original XFL) so I’m hopeful that it will succeed in spite of ESPN.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i like football and hope they all succeed :shrug:

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
ESPN promotes the sports and leagues they have a contract with and ignore/poo poo on the ones they don’t. It’s why they talk about women’s basketball more than the NHL and they care about the UFC all of a sudden.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

oldskool posted:

Vince McMahon and his carny bullshit do not deserve to succeed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Vince McMahon and his carny bullshit do not deserve to succeed.

You're right, but Vince McMahon has repeatedly claimed that his new iteration of the XFL will contain 0% carny bullshit

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

oldskool posted:

gently caress Vince McMahon and gently caress the xfl.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Apollos WR injured.

https://twitter.com/_BraceYaself/status/1095411530202529793?s=19

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

You're right, but Vince McMahon has repeatedly claimed that his new iteration of the XFL will contain 0% carny bullshit

No when I meant carny bullshit I was referring to everything in this thread

Basically,

nerve posted:

gently caress Vince McMahon and gently caress the xfl.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Lot of talk about championships in here by fans of teams who are not the Birmingham Iron. Let me clue you jokers in on a fundamental law of football. Defense wins championships, and there's only one team in league history that has never given up a point. #ForgeOn #IronCurtain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As a lifelong Memphis Express fan, what the gently caress is a championship?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mega64 posted:

As a lifelong Memphis Express fan, what the gently caress is a championship?

It's tough my friend, it is tough. When we've been fans for as long as we have the level of heartbreak day after day has been astounding.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hackenberg will lead the Express straight to Hell in a massive spectacle of failure and molten rock the likes of which cannot be properly depicted outside of one’s own imagination.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Obviously the correct pairing was Hackenberg + Martz

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

Obviously the correct pairing was Hackenberg + Martz

But then we wouldn't have had Mike "No Pocket Awareness" Bercovici getting obliterated by a front-side pass rush and I don't want to live in that world.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Gonz posted:

Hackenberg will lead the Express straight to Hell in a massive spectacle of failure and molten rock the likes of which cannot be properly depicted outside of one’s own imagination.

The XFL will draft Hackenberg.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dango Bango posted:

But then we wouldn't have had Mike "No Pocket Awareness" Bercovici getting obliterated by a front-side pass rush and I don't want to live in that world.

That's going to be the play of the AAF for the rest of its life

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

That's going to be the play of the AAF for the rest of its life

It really is probably the defining moment of this league. It had that 'welcome to the aaf' feel to it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Good to see my man Younghoe Koo found a crash landing spot after he farted himself out of the big leagues

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pakled posted:

Yeah the AAF is the NFL-approved d-league possibly made specifically to strangle the XFL in the crib.

Why does the NFL care so much about the XFL?

Anyway, can we just skip to the part where the XFL and AAF agree to have an end-of-season championship game?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Lot of talk about championships in here by fans of teams who are not the Birmingham Iron. Let me clue you jokers in on a fundamental law of football. Defense wins championships, and there's only one team in league history that has never given up a point. #ForgeOn #IronCurtain.

Know what else wins championships well I'll tell you what its Steve Orr Spurrier let's go the Orlando apollos baby woo

I don't know if the apollos have cheers or hashtags.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

General Dog posted:

They probably feel the ratings hit would concuss the league.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

XFL branding itself as the no thugs, stand for the anthem MAGA league would breathe new life into that shitstorm, if the XFL actually comes to be.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

General Dog posted:

Seems smart to squash it like a bug before it has a chance to do anything impactful

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jeremor posted:

Know what else wins championships well I'll tell you what its Steve Orr Spurrier let's go the Orlando apollos baby woo

#TakeAim

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Jeremor posted:

It's 2019 everything has a hashtag :cmon:

It was nice of the AAF to have a week 1 game with the 2 teams I was torn between and since I don't begin my fandom cheering for losers i'm all aboard the Hotshot's train. Toot, toot motherfuckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dango Bango posted:

Was there ever any reason given for the Hotshots game not having all the extra mics like the others?

They’re doing 3 broadcast tiers.

The A game on CBS is all-out, everything. Bigger crew, more toys, extra day of setup.

The B game on NFL-Network has a much smaller footprint and budget.

C and D are offsite productions where individual cameras and mics are beamed to a studio to be assembled into a show.

This is all standard. I’m not saying which tier I might work on.