Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

did you know that webpages still exist after you close the tab?

otoh did you know that the marginal cost of an open tab is $0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i like keeping everything related to one project together in one window, then i close the window (and with it the 9999 related tabs) when the project is complete

i could probably do bookmark folders and accomplish the same thing, but then its out of sight and ill immediately forget that it exists

i might not be working on whatever project right now, but when i remember to do that all the stuff will be right there where i left it and not disappeared away :unsmith:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you don’t have a ton of tabs open its becausw you’re refreshing the same 2 websites over and over and you’re bored but you can’t bring yourself to do something else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive been meaning to switch to bitkeeper or whatever the password manager is called but i havent been assed migrating from last-rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
things last pass does that I like : it tends to work

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Jonny 290 posted:

To be fair, so much poo poo is dynamically generated these days that I could see a particularly dim bulb keeping that one special version of a webpage open, not knowing they can just save it. think pre-deletion tweets and whatnot

maybe just chill and get off the web for a bit at that point

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'd argue that people who actually give a poo poo about what other people do with browser tabs, are worthless miserable weirdos with literally nothing going on in their lives, but that's just me

lol i dont care what people do with browser tabs but if i see it then i know its a sign of mental illness same as if i happened to see their kitchen filled with dirty dishes or their car filled with trash with just enough room for the driver

its an outward manifestation of something wrong and theres just no reason to bring that kind of energy into your life if you can avoid it

red flags exist for a reason

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hi i’m a miserable worthless weirdo and i also don’t care about browser tabs

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
last in line used to get mad in the grey forums when people would figure out how to block ads/turn their screens off in youtube so he's definitely some sort of weird combo of bootlicker and/or concern troll

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

carry on then posted:

i would prefer not to give a poo poo but it's hard watching the idiot presenter bumble through 230 open tabs in one window to find the one he wanted to show on webex

it looks like with the paxmod add-on for firefox, this isn't a problem! see the previous poster:

you can actually read the tab titles now!

Sweevo posted:

did you know that webpages still exist after you close the tab? crazy right! you can just visit them again and they're still there.

closing the tab doesn't work either because i believe chome only keeps your history for 90 days which is just lol. i'm guessing because they're a search company and they literally want you to forget the website you were trying to find so you actually use their search engine to find it.

Sweevo posted:

did you know that webpages still exist after you close the tab? crazy right! you can just visit them again and they're still there. you can even bookmark them if you want. you don't have to keep 200 tabs open just in case you want to read something again in eight months time

i kinda get it though. i can be a bit of a tab hoarder sometimes because there's something i would like to read later, but i know if i put it in a bookmark i will literally never visit it again.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chome added the reading list feature which is kind of like a bookmark but it has a different name and it gets cleared once u have read it... interesting feature that ive never used.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I'd argue that people who actually give a poo poo about what other people do with browser tabs, are worthless miserable weirdos with literally nothing going on in their lives, but that's just me

you can not care about people doing something while still being of the opinion that it's stupid

is having 900 browser tabs open stupid? yes
do i personally care if someone has 900 browser tabs open? no

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
never used a bookmark or tab group or whatever either. da fuk? bookmark folders are about as advanced as i get.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tree tabs ftw

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh did you know that the marginal cost of an open tab is $0?

well the bartender is gonna make me pay the tab eventually

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I keep a lot of tabs open for various reasons. For example, there's this guy who is reviewing every single hip hop album from the 80s and 90s, one by one, track by track. He does one a week. (here's the link for any hip hop nerds in here: https://timeisillmatic.me/page/40/)

That's an example of a tab I keep open forever. I want to remember to check out the site once in a while. If I saved it as a bookmark, I would never see it again.

Another good example is I have a bunch of tabs of news stories, usually from crime stories my wife and I saw on Dateline, 20/20, or 48 Hours. A decent amount of the time on those shows the cases are pending and you don't find out if they were found guilty or what their sentence was. So I will find a news article on the person, and leave the tab open, to remember to find out the outcome of the case. A good example of this is the story of Chad Daybell, who killed his girlfriend's two young kids as part of some religious ritual in Idaho last year. The story obviously pissed me off, and I eventually want to know what happens with the case. Without a tab of the story kept open, I would never find out. I guess I could save it to a text document called "READ LATER" but if it's not in my face like a tab is, I will probably never see it again.

Other tabs are things like stuff I might want to buy but want to think about it, or projects I want to start but can't start yet.

I don't like having 300 tabs open but the alternative (forgetting all of them) is just worse in my head.

LastInLine posted:

lol i dont care what people do with browser tabs but if i see it then i know its a sign of mental illness same as if i happened to see their kitchen filled with dirty dishes or their car filled with trash with just enough room for the driver

its an outward manifestation of something wrong and theres just no reason to bring that kind of energy into your life if you can avoid it

red flags exist for a reason

I'm just busting your balls. I actually think my computer hoarding can be funny sometimes.

To be honest, I feel like if I didn't hoard stuff digitally, I'd be one of those people who would have stacks of old newspapers that would eventually crush me to death, or I would have an entire home full of empty reusable plastic Chinese food containers. But my OCD and hoarding tendencies are satiated digitally, so it doesn't manifest itself in the physical real world for me, at least. So I actually kinda like it!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I keep a lot of tabs open for various reasons. For example, there's this guy who is reviewing every single hip hop album from the 80s and 90s, one by one, track by track. He does one a week. (here's the link for any hip hop nerds in here: https://timeisillmatic.me/page/40/)

That's an example of a tab I keep open forever. I want to remember to check out the site once in a while. If I saved it as a bookmark, I would never see it again.

rss is a thing, and it's right there on the page!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

rss eliminated a big bunch of bookmarks, tabs, and site checking it's been great

feedly works with a ton of clients and has been good since google reader was murdered for not making enough ad dollars, or you can install ttrss and watch what happens when a dev loses their mind and fights everyone on their forums whoa i think they quit whatever job was driving them insane or something got better, the discussions are way nicer and helpful

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I legit have no idea how to use rss lol

I'm I suppose to use a browser extension for it or something? How does it help with my use cases?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
rss stands for really simple security. you use it to manage your passwords. you can download rss at download.com

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've used the Feedly app before. I just don't see how it helps me with that guy's hip hop blog. I don't see the term "RSS" on his site anywhere at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its tough to imagine but somehow a bunch of nerds has made this thread terrible. keep your dirty underwear (tabs) to yourself