Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
gonna hold my water in like I'm Gunga Din

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I insisted on using Waterfox Classic because of the "tab mix plus" thing not working on modern Firefox. I finally gave up because I was getting ads on Youtube, so I installed the modern Firefox.

It turns out some crazy hacker figured out how to get multi-row tabs back! You have to use Firefox Nightly for god knows what reason, but it works! Only took 3 years!

Here's the add-on:

https://github.com/numirias/paxmod

Now my tabs look like this in Firefox:

instead of this worthless poo poo Chrome does:

hope this helps someone else out there! :tipshat:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's fine but Chrome does that poo poo if you have like fifteen tabs open

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

honestly if a person has more than five or so that arent pinned i just write them off entirely. no one whos that broke brained has anything useful to offer

I'd argue that people who actually give a poo poo about what other people do with browser tabs, are worthless miserable weirdos with literally nothing going on in their lives, but that's just me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I keep a lot of tabs open for various reasons. For example, there's this guy who is reviewing every single hip hop album from the 80s and 90s, one by one, track by track. He does one a week. (here's the link for any hip hop nerds in here: https://timeisillmatic.me/page/40/)

That's an example of a tab I keep open forever. I want to remember to check out the site once in a while. If I saved it as a bookmark, I would never see it again.

Another good example is I have a bunch of tabs of news stories, usually from crime stories my wife and I saw on Dateline, 20/20, or 48 Hours. A decent amount of the time on those shows the cases are pending and you don't find out if they were found guilty or what their sentence was. So I will find a news article on the person, and leave the tab open, to remember to find out the outcome of the case. A good example of this is the story of Chad Daybell, who killed his girlfriend's two young kids as part of some religious ritual in Idaho last year. The story obviously pissed me off, and I eventually want to know what happens with the case. Without a tab of the story kept open, I would never find out. I guess I could save it to a text document called "READ LATER" but if it's not in my face like a tab is, I will probably never see it again.

Other tabs are things like stuff I might want to buy but want to think about it, or projects I want to start but can't start yet.

I don't like having 300 tabs open but the alternative (forgetting all of them) is just worse in my head.

LastInLine posted:

lol i dont care what people do with browser tabs but if i see it then i know its a sign of mental illness same as if i happened to see their kitchen filled with dirty dishes or their car filled with trash with just enough room for the driver

its an outward manifestation of something wrong and theres just no reason to bring that kind of energy into your life if you can avoid it

red flags exist for a reason

I'm just busting your balls. I actually think my computer hoarding can be funny sometimes.

To be honest, I feel like if I didn't hoard stuff digitally, I'd be one of those people who would have stacks of old newspapers that would eventually crush me to death, or I would have an entire home full of empty reusable plastic Chinese food containers. But my OCD and hoarding tendencies are satiated digitally, so it doesn't manifest itself in the physical real world for me, at least. So I actually kinda like it!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

rss is a thing, and it's right there on the page!

I legit have no idea how to use rss lol

I'm I suppose to use a browser extension for it or something? How does it help with my use cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've used the Feedly app before. I just don't see how it helps me with that guy's hip hop blog. I don't see the term "RSS" on his site anywhere at all.