Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
PC Gamer: Paradox ARG hints at Vampire: The Masquerade-related announcement in March.
https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-continues-vampire-the-masquerade-teases-in-dating-app-arg/

PC Gamer posted:

The memo, send to Tender's chief technical officer, says: "We must be ready for San Francisco on March 21st. 300 Tender users will be invited to a private party, some of them flown from around the world...This will be the biggest announcement in the history of my company." As GameInformer notes, this year's Game Developers Conference takes place in San Francisco, March 18-22. 

So we'll more than likely see a game rather than a supplemental to the books.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Now, I'm starting to wonder if the new game is going to be a MMO. The level of marketing seems to be more than you would expect for a sequel(?) to a game that didn't sell very well.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whatever it is, its water looks loving incredible

quote:

To: Jobe Preston, CTO
Date: FEbruary 16, 2019

Subject: Regent Dashboard - Control Group New York

My patience wears thin. When I ask something of a thrall, I expect it done. The feature should have been rolled out weeks ago. Quicken pace, Jobe.

I will allow one week of testing in New York. Gather as much data as you can, because I will personally do whatever it takes to see the Dashboard activated for our hunter before March. Think on what you've witnessed in your short time serving me. I invite you to contemplate my methods of motivation.

We must be ready for San Francisco on March 21st. If you think the New yourk Event was big, 300 Tender users will be invited to a private party. Some of them flown from around the world. Get it done, Jobe, or I will empty your head of ever simpering thought and fill it with so much fear that you beg permission before pissing yourself.

Mark that date. This will be the biggest announcement in the history of my company.

tithin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 25, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Is that the pier from the first level, by the beach?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Iymarra posted:

Is that the pier from the first level, by the beach?

I don't know Santa Monica too well, but I don't recall such a prominent city-line being in the background across the water.

I would be completely satisfied with a remake however!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's what most people are coming away from it with yeah - the Santa Monica Pier.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

This is the invite sent out to specific players of the ARG, no guarantees it'll allow anyone else in if you email:

Also, low-quality water.gif for those who missed the twitch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is going to be more disappointing than mobile Diablo and people will actually die.

If Chechnya taught us anything, it's that a fuckup involving White Wolf can make Fallout 76 and Diablo Immortal look reasonable.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

This is going to be great ether way though, either we get another vtm game, or we get to watch a poo poo storm sweep across the internet with a fury not seen since people found out tracer was gay. It shall be glorious :allears:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i wish theyd make a game about requiem instead

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

That's a reboot yeah? Could be interesting, and a good way to move on from the VtM:Whatever games.

What's the difference though? Wikipedia just says they borrowed bits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Requiem was kind of a parallel, remix game.

The biggest difference IMO was that instead of Camarilla / Sabbat / Anarchs, vampires had five different Covenants and none of them were as overarching as the Masquerade ones.

Similarly, there are only five Clans, and some were remixed Masquerade ones.

So instead of 13 clans (and default Cam) to define your character, you now had (5 x 5) 25 archetypes to draw from, which eventually included dozens of additional Bloodlines.

It was all confusing AF for my younger self, but eventually I warmed up to it and appreciated what they did with the setting.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Tetrabor posted:

I don't know Santa Monica too well, but I don't recall such a prominent city-line being in the background across the water.

I would be completely satisfied with a remake however!

Yeah the Pacific Ocean is kinda wide.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Email invites are going out for the Tender event happening during GDC. Those who are interested need to have a Tender account. They give you three options on how to view or join the event: Online, In-Person, or a chance at being flown to the event for free.

Invites can also be shared with a friend if anyone didn't get the email.

Hoping this ends up being a true sequel or remake!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Lightningproof posted:

Is there any good, comprehensive read about all this stuff? I know Parawolf was absolute trash (but is less trash now?), but frequently hear dark murmurings about Onyx Path and sometimes the authors of the old White Wolf stuff like Mark Rein-Hagen. It's always insinuations and implications, though, so I never know what to make of it.

I've looked around for this too, without success.

This is the best I can find. It takes a long time to get to the point, was written before the Chechnya thing, and strays into straw-grasping territory a few times, but it at least covers the background and some of the details of why people were upset:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180708153619/http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

The thing you said about insinuations and implications is how these things go, by design. Neo Nazis can't walk around wearing Swastikas and shouting about how great Hitler was without losing their job at Pizza Hut or getting beaten with a rubber hose, so even on the internet, they find ways to wink at each other and test the water on what they can get away with saying.

Anyone who seizes on one of these "unfortunate coincidences" as proof of Nazism gets met with a lot of eye rolls.

I'm inclined to think that they were more trying to be edgy and, in a perverse way, inclusive (of the alt-right) rather than usher in the Fourth Reich, but who knows.

Then, after 6 months of skating on increasingly-thin ice, they printed a book saying that the ongoing Chechnya LGBTQ torture/murder campaign is fake news to distract people from vampires.

Even if not for that bit of career suicide though, they deserved to fail for being impressively bad at managing the PR fallout. After someone posted on Twitter a preview passage describing a player rolling "1,4,8,8", the company apologized for the unfortunate coincidence, then publicly haggled on what would be an acceptable edit ("What if we made the roll 8841?"), rather than just picking any 4 digit number that's not a Neo Nazi icon.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thread title owns :five:

I kinda hope that they try their hand on doing their own thing rather than an imitation of Bloodlines, but taking from the ARG at least they certainly know the atmosphere of a World of Darkness game. I am very curious to see how they are going to make a game that was Peak 90s Alternative Culture into something proper for 2019 or the new decade.

Like, "Brujahs for Bernie" and the Baronies of Avalon facepalming themselves into dust because of Brexit, poo poo like that haha

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

dead comedy forums posted:

Thread title owns :five:

I kinda hope that they try their hand on doing their own thing rather than an imitation of Bloodlines, but taking from the ARG at least they certainly know the atmosphere of a World of Darkness game. I am very curious to see how they are going to make a game that was Peak 90s Alternative Culture into something proper for 2019 or the new decade.

Like, "Brujahs for Bernie" and the Baronies of Avalon facepalming themselves into dust because of Brexit, poo poo like that haha

I feel like they're going to produce a game in conjunction with new tabletop material. I've read a mention talking about one of the books referencing Tender as a tool developed by Nosferatu to find willing blood donors, so it fits right in with what the ARG is implying.

On top of that, there's the video of the Santa Monica Pier, and a few pictures of rainy avenues from the Trust No More arg website implying that digital content has been created.

And I took the title from the last thread, old threads die hard!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1107311009021288449

Despite replaying the game several times, I still have no idea where most of the shots are from. The burning hallway is from the hotel, I guess? I mean, it certainly doesn't look like the asylum. And the ruins next to it are Andrey's Sabbath lair?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 17, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That first one might be the Giovanni mansion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Xander77 posted:

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1107311009021288449

Despite replaying the game several times, I still have no idea where most of the shots are from. The burning hallway is from the hotel, I guess? I mean, it certainly doesn't look like the asylum. And the ruins next to it are Andrey's Sabbath lair?

I don't think they are areas from the first game. The cafe was definitely not in the first game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah keep in mind, the conjecture that this is a remake is just that - conjecture.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1107311421338144773

Left looks like the Ocean House when the hallways burst into flames, right looks like the room at the end of the Hallowbrook where you kill Andrei.

e: Why on earth would I want a remake? I want another game of comparable or better quality. I already have Bloodlines.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

The bicycle shot implies that it will be wintertime as there's wreaths on the lamps as well as a Christmas tree in the distance, since there's no snow, it might be in a temperate location which could exclude New York.

The tower building apparently looks exactly like the Pacific Tower in Seattle.

There's a picture of a dilapitated broken in floor that's very reminiscent of the final battle with the Sabbat leader.

The fire scene is reminiscent of the Haunted Hotel upper floors, though they also used a lot of spectral fire because it was an event that happened in the past.

It's hard to say, maybe we'll be city jumping this time, but I don't remember any game threads leading to Seattle, the only real unresolved story from the first game was the thin-bloods.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, yeah, this is either Bloodlines 2 or some kind of weird troll.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Fire in the hallway got me thinking of Grout mansion after Bach shows up, though memory's fuzzy.

There was that shot of tunnels and bricks that reminded me of Warrens, and my initial hypothesis for the Pacific Tower lookalike was Ocean House, but again, fuzzy memory. You guys pretty much guessed the same as I did on the rest, so no point in going over those.

I'll be really happy if it's not a remake but a game in its own right.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, yeah, this is either Bloodlines 2 or some kind of weird troll.

I'm going with sequel/remake. I don't think Paradox would advertise 3D images if it was just for a White Wolf print special. It's also specifically being announced during the Game Developer Conference.

mortons stork posted:

Fire in the hallway got me thinking of Grout mansion after Bach shows up, though memory's fuzzy.

There was that shot of tunnels and bricks that reminded me of Warrens, and my initial hypothesis for the Pacific Tower lookalike was Ocean House, but again, fuzzy memory. You guys pretty much guessed the same as I did on the rest, so no point in going over those.

I'll be really happy if it's not a remake but a game in its own right.

I totally forgot about the fire at Grout's mansion, it does fit the theme of a stuffy, old manor like the original.

I can't rule out a remake because the original had plenty of good content, and the game never reached critical popularity to be remembered outside of it's core fan base.

Edit: Does anyone know if LA has overhead tracks for an electric bus system like SF? It's present in the bicycle shot.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 17, 2019

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seems weird to do a remake without the involvement of Obsidian, especially given two thirds of Troika are there.

I'd think it's more likely there are some homages to Bloodlines.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Did some sleuthing on the recently released pictures, the bicycle tire one has lamps with a specific design: 3 globes facing up, and two globes mounted to be facing downward. This led me to find an old timey photo of some Seattle lamps.

Reference Lamp:

PDX Released Photo:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They also posted some pictures of the Seattle Underground. Look at the skylight, and compare to this:

xdistak
Jul 8, 2003
I'm a huge faggot who needs to learn that money can't solve all of life's problems.
Did anyone RSVP but will not be in SF on the 21st and wouldn't mind if I go in your place? Send me a PM please.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hmmm.....Good Old Games is having a vampire themed sale https://www.gog.com/partner/bloodygoodgames and is hinting about a new vampire game coming to the store soon. I'm sure its completely unrelated to whatever Paradox is doing though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Hmmm.....Good Old Games is having a vampire themed sale https://www.gog.com/partner/bloodygoodgames and is hinting about a new vampire game coming to the store soon. I'm sure its completely unrelated to whatever Paradox is doing though.
GOTHOS IS COMING TO GOG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYAT_Gv7c5Y

:haw:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Yeah I suspect the sequel won't be coming till Winter 2020 given the Xmas theme in one of the shots.

What I'm curious about is if it's going to be developed by Harebrained Studios (They are located in Seattle as well.) Or the new studio Paradox Tectonic

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
After all this tease, it's going to be a dead on arrival trading card game isn't it?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Color me really excited for this whatever this is.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tomorrow is the reveal right? Is anyone here actually going to the event?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's apparently going to be a stream on https://www.twitch.tv/tenderbeta at 8 pm SF time on the 21st.

Optimistic but in a very, very cautious way, this is the WoD we're talking about.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TenderWatcher/status/1108087743526174727

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Might need a new avatar to celebrate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Is that Kew Gardens in the final one?

Or some American botanical gardens that copied it?