Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

played through bloodlines again with fan patch as malk and forgot just how much jank and issues there are. Still a cool game but that playthrough makes the material of 2 look not as bad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

NihilCredo posted:

It's a bad idea to go "I want to play a RPG with these specific people, let's find a game we can all tolerate or de-fang this one until we do". But it's even worse to start with a de-fanged game while planning to sneakily put the fangs back in, so the players who didn't want them in the first place are now sunk-cost-fallacied into reluctantly playing a horror game.

I mean a competent ST would allow the players plenty of room to get out of a horrible situation, like a ST should be prepared for players to not follow the script or even reward them if they actions is particularly inventive or take the story in interesting direction. Also going on a personal tangent here, but I think the best WOD story should mix in lighter moment to contrast with the darker moments.

That's one thing the Project Moon games got down to an art like sure the City is hellscape but that dosen't stop people having postive relation ships to endure and even overcome it's horrors.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Honestly you could easily run something closer to D&D tone using WOD if you put you're mind to it.

Yeah, running an action adventure game with WoD works as long as you stay away from the combat. Seriously, it is easily the worst fighting rules from any RPG I've played. There used to be a joke about it being bad on purpose to make people focus on the roleplaying.

Anyways, the best tone for WoD is unironically What We Do in the Shadows.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

the best WOD story should mix in lighter moment to contrast with the darker moments.

this is important at basically every table, regardless of game. people need the kind of emotional catharsis that being able to have a chuckle can offer regardless of whether they're in the trenches, experiencing the horrors of immortality, or bare knuckle boxing giant robots, or whatever.

e: like, one of the reasons Baldur's Gate 3 is so good is because it knows how to be silly and serious at the same time. it feels fairly genuine as a table because of this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomfunk posted:

this is important at basically every table, regardless of game. people need the kind of emotional catharsis that being able to have a chuckle can offer regardless of whether they're in the trenches, experiencing the horrors of immortality, or bare knuckle boxing giant robots, or whatever.

e: like, one of the reasons Baldur's Gate 3 is so good is because it knows how to be silly and serious at the same time. it feels fairly genuine as a table because of this.

You can do that with WoD too. Bloodlines comes close sometimes, like it being all tense escaping the warehouse before it goes boom and one of the first people you meet in LA is (potentially) Fat Larry. Not me, of course, the first thing I did in LA was wander into the abandoned hospital.

My favorite WoD GMs all did that as well and God knows I tried myself.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

worm girl posted:

This is also why it's so hard to find a game with friends. "Hey do yall want to play this simple sword and sorcery power fantasy, or the game about pathos where the protagonists are all afflicted by a curse which is a thinly veiled metaphor for sexual violence/child abuse/racial purity/being a very smart boy who sees the world for the vulgar thing it really is?"

It took me till my late 30s before I could get any of my friends to play DND.

They were all down to play the eco terrorists instead. (With a side of pathos sometimes)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

worm girl posted:

Right and my point is that during or before session zero, someone often goes "man that sounds loving awful, let's play D&D instead."

some people, sure, some people like horror. My high school friend group mostly played Call of Cthulhu and WoD (and warhams) rather than dnd. If we wanted tactical combat we did warhams, if we wanted roleplay we did CoC or WoD. DnD is sort of a mix of both in a way we didn't quite enjoy until 3.5 sanded down some of 3.0's edges (and made others worse).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CainFortea posted:

They were all down to play the eco terrorists instead. (With a side of pathos sometimes)

This is why it's so disappointing Werewolf 5E was such an airball. It probably wouldn't be hard to find people upset at how the world's being screwed over by those in charge and have a small outlet for the frustration.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

haldolium posted:

played through bloodlines again with fan patch as malk and forgot just how much jank and issues there are. Still a cool game but that playthrough makes the material of 2 look not as bad anymore.

I recall when I originally played it that it wouldn't load any of the eyes for the vampires so they judy had white orbs. Plus just how god drat annoying combat actually could be.

Strangely the jank in the Redemptiom game didn't bother me nearly as much and as mentioned previously actually made me more amused / didn't annoy me nearly as much. And it wasn't just nostalgia since I replayed it a couple of years ago. There's just something about games from that era that is enjoyable, like putting on a well-worn shirt that you know should be tossed but is too comfy to.

(I have a similar feeling about, say, the SMT franchise with 3 v 5. I put it down, in part, to god drat platforming.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/VBloodlines/status/1763213628134576141

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

This is why it's so disappointing Werewolf 5E was such an airball. It probably wouldn't be hard to find people upset at how the world's being screwed over by those in charge and have a small outlet for the frustration.

More and more lately I've been finding various world of darkness creeping into our d&d games now. Like our strahd game got sidetracked for months because the aristocrats were being dicks and so we mounted a revolution to kill nobles and build a community-based governing system

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

CainFortea posted:

More and more lately I've been finding various world of darkness creeping into our d&d games now. Like our strahd game got sidetracked for months because the aristocrats were being dicks and so we mounted a revolution to kill nobles and build a community-based governing system

That isn't just your normal D&D experience? Man, what is my group doing wrong, then...

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Honestly you could easily run something closer to D&D tone using WOD if you put you're mind to it. Like every splat has some gnozo and pupy elements

That sounds much worse than either WoD or D&D!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

worm girl posted:

That sounds much worse than either WoD or D&D!

Nah, it's fine actually.

Just replace "lvl 5 fighter" with "Fostern Ahroun Glasswalker" and "goblins" with "leeches" and instead of fighting in the basement of the local tavern you're fighting in the alley ways of a very rainy and dark city.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Dawgstar posted:

Hey at least werewolf the essentials is shaping up to be the actual w5 with a five book run and all..

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CainFortea posted:

Nah, it's fine actually.

Just replace "lvl 5 fighter" with "Fostern Ahroun Glasswalker" and "goblins" with "leeches" and instead of fighting in the basement of the local tavern you're fighting in the alley ways of a very rainy and dark city.

Urban Arcana

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Hey at least werewolf the essentials is shaping up to be the actual w5 with a five book run and all..

The what now?

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Dawgstar posted:

The what now?

Oh it's fan project for wta that partially intend to fill in the many plot holes the w5 core left in it's wake and partially to actually update the wta lore to address the more problematic parts.

The author has planneing a five book run with the first book Cliath releasing the October of this year.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjK6hKahU8

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prK1w7_-sMk

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-k2kJbI_I

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3E1KD80tKk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
You can edit posts you know.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Big Brujah reveal describes abilities, upgrade tree, and reveals the Menu options: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/clan-highlight-brujah

There's some images of the abilities in action too, the taunt is particularly fitting.

// Abilities //
Brutality
Clan Passive
After feeding, become flushed with vampiric strength, temporarily increasing the power of all your melee attacks.

Taunt
Use your supernatural Presence to enrage an opponent or civilian prey, compelling them to attack you. While enraged, the target takes increased damage.

Charge
Surge forward with preternatural speed and rage, grabbing an enemy you collide with to use as a battering ram to knock down others in your path.

Lightning Strikes
Target multiple opponents and unleash an unstoppable hail of punches, with the final strike dealing increased damage.

Earthshock
Slam the ground with explosive force, flinging surrounding enemies into the air.

Pulverise
Clan Perk
Killing enemies without feeding still activates your Clan Passive.
--

They also explain why you'll have access to other clan disciplines:

"...you can also dive deeper into the customization of your playstyle. This is done by visiting important Seattle vampires that are sworn to assist the Sheriff (you) including offering their Blood to help unlock abilities from their clan. Abilities from other clans may cost more AP depending on how well they align with your clans Disciplines."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is allowing other vampires have a little sip of your blood to let them unlock your abilities a thing in the original RPG? And if yes, why isn't everybody doing it?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

steinrokkan posted:

Is allowing other vampires have a little sip of your blood to let them unlock your abilities a thing in the original RPG? And if yes, why isn't everybody doing it?

I haven't played a pen and paper vampire game since the early 2000's, but iirc drinking blood from a vampire 3 times ends up blood bonding you to them so they can control you or something like that

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

steinrokkan posted:

Yep, although I don't know if it always requires drinking some of their blood (which would cause a bond and that's a no no most of the time.)
I believe the text just says that you need someone to teach you, they have to have a higher rank in that discipline than you and it costs more to rank.

So a Nos could learn Protean and be even more of a nightmare but it's going to take considerable dedication at the cost of learning inherent disciplines.

It's not a wise road to go down unless you're an elder and bored but cool that it's available.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"the Sheriff (you)"

:allears:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Yep, although I don't know if it always requires drinking some of their blood (which would cause a bond and that's a no no most of the time.)
I believe the text just says that you need someone to teach you, they have to have a higher rank in that discipline than you and it costs more to rank.

So a Nos could learn Protean and be even more of a nightmare but it's going to take considerable dedication at the cost of learning inherent disciplines.

It's not a wise road to go down unless you're an elder and bored but cool that it's available.

in v5 to learn cross-clan you must have recently sampled the blood or be improbably deep in a specific blood resonance iirc.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It might have been a side-tab suggested rule in Revised too, but don't quote me. It's been a while.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

doomfunk posted:

in v5 to learn cross-clan you must have recently sampled the blood or be improbably deep in a specific blood resonance iirc.

They're certainly going all in with sharing abilities. Each column in the ability tree represents a clan, and it looks like you can only have one ability in each row be active at a time.

Who needs bloodlines when you can play mix n' match with abilities.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It might have been a side-tab suggested rule in Revised too, but don't quote me. It's been a while.

Sometimes they took the stance that to learn an out of clan Discpline - which for the purposes of this was anything your clan didn't have and also the three physical Discplines - you needed to learn from somebody who already had it but I can't remember official rules for which which is of course not to say there weren't tucked away in the Storyteller's Guide or something. I don't think it was ever a hard and fast capital-r rule but it's also been a while.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You used to need to actually learn it and it took many years of study. How does one study to learn Potence? Ehhhhhhhh, pssssssssh, I guess.

In V5 you just need to taste the vitae and that unlocks the discipline and you can learn whatever the hell you want, doesn't matter which powers the kindred who you drank from has. The one exception is Blood Sorcery, which still has to be taught because it's loving weird, and that includes its powers, not just the rituals. There isn't actually a time limit cited, either, so arguably if you had a sip of Vitae from some Nos 200 years ago, you could randomly decide to learn Obfuscate tomorrow and that's fine.

The logic behind this change was simple, more flexibility in an RPG system is good, and thus also shows how all the different clans really aren't a whole lot different from each other - they all have the same potential, your clan just makes you naturally attuned to specific things.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Caitiffs with a Potence / Celerity / Fortitude discipline set were a running joke in classic VtM, but I always thought they made sense and should have been the default for caitiffs abandoned by their sire (the vast majority, iirc).

If you didn't have anyone to tell you "hey, try growing claws" or "hey, try Jedi mind tricking that guy" it's not something that you'd have attempted on your own, but the first time you got in a fight for your life it makes sense that you'd discover your vitae feeling like super-mega-adrenaline and start focusing on that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Inzombiac posted:

(which would cause a bond and that's a no no most of the time.)

It is in fact a yes yes most of the time. To the point that tutors would lie to newbies and say that you needed a sip from them for each level you learned.

This is also why the Sabbat tended to have very diverse discipline choices. Well that and the rampant soul eating.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

every pack being commutatively bound through the vaulderie was one of the slickest bits of world building explaining random rear end toreador having protean claws or vicissitude I've ever seen.

e: okay I guess it keeps the monsters from killing themselves too or whatever

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Werewolf game by the guy who wrote VtM Night Road is coming out April 25th, and is going to be the longest Choice of Games title ever with roughly 1.5 million words (including code).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The Werewolf game by the guy who wrote VtM Night Road is coming out April 25th, and is going to be the longest Choice of Games title ever with roughly 1.5 million words (including code).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/

Oh hell yeah. I finished night road then immediately started again and played through a second time.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm happy for the people who care about Werewolf.

I will patiently wait for another Vampire game to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm interested at a chance to make chicken salad out of the other stuff that W5 is.