Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"the Sheriff (you)"

:allears:

Really hope the dialogue is robust enough that I can roleplay as vampire Columbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bloody Pom posted:

Really hope the dialogue is robust enough that I can roleplay as vampire Columbo.

a weak Sheriff relying on cunning instead of brawn would be a nice change

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Goa Tse-tung posted:

a weak Sheriff relying on cunning instead of brawn would be a nice change

Pretty much guaranteed you’ll be that if you go Tremere or Ventrue, I imagine. They’re not punch vampires.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can you customize Phyre's look at all? I like her design well enough but it'd be cool for a little more flex.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
They've only committed to gender and outfits in press I've seen so far (and clan, of course).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVxwxA8oKPg

The Redemption Skyrim mod just posted another update. drat it's pretty.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Wow, that looks incredible. I hope things go well in April.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

midwifecrisis posted:

You will never get a clear answer from Activision, i bet they will keep all their options open. VtM is a cursed IP :(.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The Werewolf game by the guy who wrote VtM Night Road is coming out April 25th, and is going to be the longest Choice of Games title ever with roughly 1.5 million words (including code).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/

Hell yeah. I don’t even care about Werewolf that much, but Night Road was so good I’m in.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hell yeah. I don’t even care about Werewolf that much, but Night Road was so good I’m in.

Same. Couldn’t care less about WtA, but I’m here for any games that author writes.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

midwifecrisis posted:

It'll be an actual miracle if it doesn't get DMCAd

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a free demo for Werewolf on CoG's site: https://www.choiceofgames.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse/book-of-hungry-names/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This is based on a later edition right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CainFortea posted:

This is based on a later edition right?

Werewolf 5E, yes, so a lot of talk about Gaia being already dead, the Nation in ruins, etc.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Werewolf 5E, yes, so a lot of talk about Gaia being already dead, the Nation in ruins, etc.

Mainly I was very surprised about the whole vibe of being a monster and that sucking. Cause that's a much more VtM thing in my experience.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Werewolf choice game has a launch DLC that's free if you buy the game during the launch window. FWIW that company's sale prices are the same as their launch window prices, so there's no financial incentive to wait for a better sale price or anything. The tribes it'll unlock are Black Furies and Hart Wardens, and there's code suggesting there will be two more DLCs later on with Ghost Council and Silent Striders in one, and Red Talon and Galestalkers in the other. None of that really means much to me since I haven't read 5E and was never as into Werewolf as I was Vampire anyway, so I don't know if I'll get the later DLCs or not, but I was planning on buying the game early anyway so I guess I'll get the launch DLC then.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'll admit to being curious abt Werewolf 5E only in morbid fashion, because of its proximity to the older and openly eco-fash WW... W line. I have less than no attachment to the Lore. Hard to have a worse guy on that sort of thing than Ken Hite, but they did it.

But then I'm one of those ppl who found the memory-holed Forsaken line to be more interesting for its considerations of how the easy use of overwhelming violence changes, or fails to change, the circumstances people care about, and how one keeps a family of volatile people together. I never found eugenics or the Avatar bit (remember how mad ppl were about it?) all that interesting. I think Onyx Path about overdid the "using game systems to explore political allegory" with their Geist line but everything up to it was really really interesting in concept, and often in the way they played.

But anyway yeah, I'm onboard for a huge CYOA from the Night Roads guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
drat I'm gonna have to learn a lot about Werewolf before that game comes out

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CYOAs are not a 1:1 conversion of the tabletop system by any means, you should be able to play sensibly just by the info you glean from the game itself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Basic Chunnel posted:

CYOAs are not a 1:1 conversion of the tabletop system by any means, you should be able to play sensibly just by the info you glean from the game itself.

Oh I know, I just mean the lore

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
New BL2 dev diary is out, detailing how they're sculpting the Tremere, includes outfits: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/developing-tremere

"Tremere's Gameplay was designed to befit a more careful, scheming, and perhaps for a sadistic kind of player. Their combat abilities are all centred around Blood sorcery, and allow them to manipulate with pain, kill quietly from afar, and set up a cascade of gory death at a time and place of their choosing!  

Tremere are at their strongest when they are patient and have a plan. This makes the clan ideal for players who want to take things at a slower pace, avoid direct (or fair) conflict and make use of vampiric abilities on a regular basis. "

Looks like abilities include: Blood Boil, Acidic Touch, and Recall (Teleport w/telefragging capabilities).

One touch that should be interesting is the sound design:

"For the Tremere audio, I wanted to focus on the haunting sound of blood and gore as the players manipulate the enemy's vitae. When you boil an enemy's blood from the inside, causing them to explode, you will hear the chilling sounds of guts and gibs splattering all around you. The enemies’ pained screams will morph and distort, echoing hauntingly as they are consumed by the inferno within. For full immersion, subtle arcane whispers and the eerie pulsation of blood magic will be heard, intensifying the macabre spectacle, and hopefully sonically reflecting the Tremere's mastery over blood sorcery.”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tetrabor posted:

New BL2 dev diary is out, detailing how they're sculpting the Tremere, includes outfits: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/developing-tremere

"Tremere's Gameplay was designed to befit a more careful, scheming, and perhaps for a sadistic kind of player. Their combat abilities are all centred around Blood sorcery, and allow them to manipulate with pain, kill quietly from afar, and set up a cascade of gory death at a time and place of their choosing!  

Tremere are at their strongest when they are patient and have a plan. This makes the clan ideal for players who want to take things at a slower pace, avoid direct (or fair) conflict and make use of vampiric abilities on a regular basis. "

Looks like abilities include: Blood Boil, Acidic Touch, and Recall (Teleport w/telefragging capabilities).

One touch that should be interesting is the sound design:

"For the Tremere audio, I wanted to focus on the haunting sound of blood and gore as the players manipulate the enemy's vitae. When you boil an enemy's blood from the inside, causing them to explode, you will hear the chilling sounds of guts and gibs splattering all around you. The enemies’ pained screams will morph and distort, echoing hauntingly as they are consumed by the inferno within. For full immersion, subtle arcane whispers and the eerie pulsation of blood magic will be heard, intensifying the macabre spectacle, and hopefully sonically reflecting the Tremere's mastery over blood sorcery.”

WoD Bloodlines: I wanted to focus on the haunting sound of blood and gore

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i'd be more excited about outfits if this was third person and I could see them for more than cut scenes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Soonmot posted:

i'd be more excited about outfits if this was third person and I could see them for more than cut scenes

I'd be more excited about outfits if Phyre didn't have such a dweeb face and a permanent mope. He/she looks like a freshman student at their first LARP trying hard to be taken seriously.

Besides that, the outfits are strangely minimalistic - not just the more 'realistic' ones (1 and 4), but the silly goth costumes in the middle as well. If you're going that way, I prefer the more fanciful looks from Bloodhunt.

(shameless excuse to post my Toreador, Nosferatu, Ventrue, and Tremere toons)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I don't necessarily need third person to worry about fashion for my character, judging by my experience with Cyberpunk.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I don't necessarily need third person to worry about fashion for my character, judging by my experience with Cyberpunk.

this is exactly why I do. Why bother putting together awesome looks when I don't get to see it for most of the game.

I actually liked outfit 2 with the ridiculous pentagram. That's my poo poo.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tetrabor posted:

that's another fear alleviated; tremere can officially do this

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Soonmot posted:

this is exactly why I do. Why bother putting together awesome looks when I don't get to see it for most of the game.

Because I'll know :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The Werewolf choice game has a launch DLC that's free if you buy the game during the launch window. FWIW that company's sale prices are the same as their launch window prices, so there's no financial incentive to wait for a better sale price or anything. The tribes it'll unlock are Black Furies and Hart Wardens, and there's code suggesting there will be two more DLCs later on with Ghost Council and Silent Striders in one, and Red Talon and Galestalkers in the other. None of that really means much to me since I haven't read 5E and was never as into Werewolf as I was Vampire anyway, so I don't know if I'll get the later DLCs or not, but I was planning on buying the game early anyway so I guess I'll get the launch DLC then.

is this included if I buy it on ios instead of steam?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

is this included if I buy it on ios instead of steam?

Seems to yeah, here's the thread on it:

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/giveaway-unlock-tribes-for-free-in-werewolf-the-apocalypse-the-book-of-hungry-names/150612

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Since Crusader Kings 3 was on sale for $20 on Steam, I've just become aware of the Princes of Darkness mod for CK3, which is a Dark Ages: Vampire overhaul mod.

I'm sure this thread has discussed this mod before, but since CK3 just got so radically discounted, and the fact I'm excited about this mod; I decided to post a little about it.

This is the successor mod to Princes of Darkness for Crusader Kings II. The same team has developed both mods.

https://www.princesofdarknessmod.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

mod description posted:

Princes of Darkness is an overhaul of the base game, aimed at bringing the World of Darkness into life in Crusader Kings 3. As such, it has many gameplay concepts altered, and use the extensive lore of its world to propose a different experience all around.

The first thing to note is that, as a Vampire, you are immortal... sort of. You won't die of old age or disease, but being put to the torch or decapitated will still end your unlife. As such, succession is a lesser, but still present, concern for you. In the same vein, Marriages can't produce children, so they are mostly a political tool available to a select few religions. Religions are a core part of the gameplay, even more than in CK3. Here, it represents the core philosophical tenets of your character, which help him not fall to the Beast. Indeed, the Beast -a literal manifestation of your inner monstrosity- is one of your worst foes, and managing your stress is paramount to not fall prey to it, as it would mean your character has become a feral wight, resulting in his abdication. Take notice of your hunger, a core modifier representing your need for blood. Hunger is used for many schemes and powers, and replenish slowly or with active hunting.

Vampires are slow at learning new things. As such, you still have access to the base lifestyles, but at a lower rate of progression. You can instead choose to invest your time into the disciplines, opening the powers of the damned for your use. Buildings represent your influence over the mortal populace. Most are capped by a stat like control and you will have to choose how to balance these. Note that major centers of populations, represented by high development duchy capitals are the biggest asset any Prince can dream of. Warfare is sensibly altered, with a bigger emphasis on knights. The prowess of your knights can easily overcome a much more numerous foe, especially if mostly composed of levies. As such, be very wary of high prowess hostile Vampires. In a world full of deceit and tricks, intrigue plays a bigger role. There are new schemes to discover, some linked to your powers, and most of the characters have secrets better left untold... or used for blackmail if their religion allows it.

The World of Darkness is an universe running for more than 30 years now, with hundred of books and other medias covering it. The main idea is that, in our world, several factions of supernaturals creatures are interacting below the surface, creating an underworld full of intrigues and stories. The Vampires of the WoD are mainly the result of the biblical curse against Caine, the first murderer, and most are tracing back their lineage to him in a system they call 'generations'. This dynasty tree of the undeath has branched into several factions, the clans, each with its strength, weakness and geographical power base. In Dark Ages : Vampires, which you are playing now, we are following the undead world at the crossroad of several major crisis. The sack of Constantinople has happened, and broken the major Cainite Empire of the time, having a ripple effect as far as France and Persia. Meanwhile, the Church Inquisition is gathering support and information, almost ready to usher the age of retribution on the cursed bloodsuckers...

1230 AD: "The War of Princes" is the period of conflict in Cainite history that began shortly after the fall of Constantinople to the Fourth Crusade in 1204. The term refers to the conflicts over territory that the various princes of Europe fought after the end of the Long Night. The War of Princes began shortly before the Inquisition was formed. Although the Inquisitors were initially used as tools by the elders, they soon became a greater threat to the Cainites than the Cainites were to one another. Although it is not clear exactly when the War of Princes ended, it would have likely been forced to a conclusion with the advent of the Anarch Revolt, if not sooner. Will you be able to win conclusively the War before the mortals start their uprising against their rightful masters?

Personally I think it's neat that you can play Fae, Changeling and Kinain.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Helical Nightmares posted:

Since Crusader Kings 3 was on sale for $20 on Steam, I've just become aware of the Princes of Darkness mod for CK3, which is a Dark Ages: Vampire overhaul mod.

I'm sure this thread has discussed this mod before, but since CK3 just got so radically discounted, and the fact I'm excited about this mod; I decided to post a little about it.

This is the successor mod to Princes of Darkness for Crusader Kings II. The same team has developed both mods.

https://www.princesofdarknessmod.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Personally I think it's neat that you can play Fae, Changeling and Kinain.

Man, I was holding off on CK3, but I'm mighty tempted to wishlist for the nest sale now :syoon:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just saw an advertisement for the Vampire Nexus for the Demiplane App. Anyone tried it?

https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/vampire

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It sucks and hasn't been updated in like over 6 months.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

The simplifying of BL2 gameplay down to four buttons continues, this time, for the Tremere: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/news/clan-highlight-tremere

Tremere Abilities:
Corrosive Touch

Clan Passive: Bodies will dissolve away after being fed on.

Cauldron of Blood
Torture your victim by boiling their blood slowly from the inside, making them drop to their knees screaming. Nearby enemies/civilians are drawn to their screams.

Recall
First Use: Mark your current location with a ward.

Second Use: Deconstruct yourself, and explosively reconstruct yourself at the marked location obliterating any enemies standing in that spot.

Blood Curse
Curse a victim. The next time they take damage, their body swells horrifically and they explode, doing damage to all around them.

Blood Salvo
Conjure a set of blood daggers that can be thrown at enemies.

Greed
Clan Perk: A chance when feeding, that the last used ability receives twice as much blood, increasing the rate you can perform abilities

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That's six buttons. Tremere are advanced, you see.

:smug:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's six buttons. Tremere are advanced, you see.

:smug:

I wish, two of those are passives. Gotta make everything fit on the d-pad after all.

Like, I get BL1 having button bloat with multiple abilities across 3 different disciplines.
But four abilities across multiple disciplines (also limited by ability tiers) just screams lack of replay value.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Did people replay BL1 for the moment to moment gameplay differentiation? I know I never did.

I think the replay value is going to come almost 100% to have much reactivity you get from your choices/clan. I’m sceptical that they will be meaningful, but I’d like to be wrong on that front.

E: On the actual info, when I think Tremere, I don’t think “stealth build”. Which, is what the Passive, i.e. the only thing unique to in-clan players, seems to imply.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 4, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

Did people replay BL1 for the moment to moment gameplay differentiation? I know I never did.

I think the replay value is going to come almost 100% to have much reactivity you get from your choices/clan. I’m sceptical that they will be meaningful, but I’d like to be wrong on that front.

E: On the actual info, when I think Tremere, I don’t think “stealth build”. Which, is what the Passive, i.e. the only thing unique to in-clan players, seems to imply.

I did. I've played it a couple times at launch to experince the different paths, but after that yeah, I played to see how certain discipline combos worked, how it specializing in a single discipline felt. I know I did one run as a brujah where I only raised blood buff and blood heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I also did. One Nossie, one Toreador, one Malk.