Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

extra stout posted:

wow thats a bunch of lies and boring poo poo even just in the summary

4chan was all left wing mature dudes, then they all were arrested for some reason and then just morphed into the alt-right, sure why not no one is going to read it anyway i might as well start printing this thing already

also the podcast 'cumtown' already explained to the internet that the right went to 4chan and the left stayed here, and then it got silent and awkward when the highest paid guy told the guy who said that to shut the gently caress up

This post just went through me like taffy through an rear end in a top hat didn't understand a single word brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Well, what's the solution?

Can we fix it?

Should we kill the head vampire?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPDm0WNYgkw

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

extra stout posted:

wow thats a bunch of lies and boring poo poo even just in the summary

4chan was all left wing mature dudes, then they all were arrested for some reason and then just morphed into the alt-right, sure why not no one is going to read it anyway i might as well start printing this thing already

That's what always baffled me about 4chan. I remember when I was on there it was fairly left leaning, there were always sincere racist and neo-nazis but they were few and far between. It went from taking the piss out of A. Wyatt Mann's drawings and raiding far right-wing radio host Hal Turner, to being ground zero for a new wave of fascist and white supremacists.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Linux Pirate posted:

That's what always baffled me about 4chan. I remember when I was on there it was fairly left leaning, there were always sincere racist and neo-nazis but they were few and far between. It went from taking the piss out of A. Wyatt Mann's drawings and raiding far right-wing radio host Hal Turner, to being ground zero for a new wave of fascist and white supremacists.
If you do not explicitly ban people like that they take over your website because nobody else wants to be on the same site as them.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
no kid on the internet is 'left' or 'right' in any well-earned ideologically rigorous sense. when politics is little more than a series of empty gestures it rolls in and out with the tide.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zane posted:

no kid on the internet is 'left' or 'right' in any well-earned ideologically rigorous sense. when politics is little more than a series of empty gestures it rolls in and out with the tide.
I think what's changed is that a lot of these kids are still posting on the same sites but now they're adults with real opinions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zane posted:

no kid on the internet is 'left' or 'right' in any well-earned ideologically rigorous sense.

i will dialectically analize your rear end baby

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
4cham is pretty cool. I got a super neat desktop wallpaper of my favorite anime lady wearing a bikini at the beach.
You can't get that on the somethingsawful webzone can you now grandpa.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Zane posted:

Perhaps same can be said for an average person on the street. Excepting creeps who join weird political clubs.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

1redflag posted:

This is the scene in the story where I have to go back in time and kill Lowtax before 4Chan to prevent this timeline from coming to fruition ( “If I don’t kill you now, Donald Trump becomes president!!!”) only for skulmund to lead to some Brony hitler or whatever.

Yeah, you already did that. Except you botched the attempt in typical goony fashion, ruined Lowtax's spine, which will cause him to install a bionic cyberspine and thus a supervillain is born.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Excuse me, author man, but SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM was the "original meme machine" as you put it. You should be well aware of this as you named your loving book after the site.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This something awful sounds like bad news someone should do something about it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its the website i go to when im online

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
occupy bookstores and review bomb this on amazon

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Did the mods.... know? About this book?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Analytic Engine posted:

Who's playing Lowtax in the film and who's directing?

Uwe Boll

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uncle Wemus posted:

All this because lowtax banned anime pedophiles

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Someone should write a history book of how image macros and catchphrases came to be called "memes" (it's because Dick Dorkins wrote a book about god and got real internet popular then hosed it all up because of an elevator creep).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Excuse me, author man, but SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM was the "original meme machine" as you put it. You should be well aware of this as you named your loving book after the site.

yeah wtf

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Noblesse Obliged posted:

They straight up murdered a kid with a zip line bro

I told you dog

it's all the research chemicals those psychopaths were injecting directly into their eyeballs, tragic, really

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's incredibly naive and tumblry to suggest that 4chan is responsible for Trump. The implication is that if tumblrs tumbld harder than they could have prevented it. These online communities were simply one tool in a much larger campaign. Google Robert Mercer and read up on his and Steve Bannon's backstory as well as the history of the GOP's relationship with the Clinton's

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
has anybody said FAIL BERMAN yet???

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This something awful sounds like bad news someone should do something about it

I'm trying, give me a few months

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
dont come into post 2mrw sum of u r cool

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ok ill go for it:

FAIL BRANEN

QM Haversham
Nov 12, 2018

Postmodern Furniture Enjoyment Society: Where slow is the revolution and apathy is the fuel.
" One minute I was making cartoons for Cartoon Network that they never put on the air, the next, I was suddenly a troll-whisperer, just chilling out, maxing, relaxing and letting the dark internet hate for me and my work flow in.

Essentially, what every internet cartoonist dreams when they first put pen to wacom tablet! "

:jerkbag:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
who is this dork? and why is sa in the title if its all about anime dickgirl site?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

who is this dork? and why is sa in the title if its all about anime dickgirl site?

Before reddit, before 4chan, before the dark times, there was somethingawful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sorry OP, I'm not going to buy your stupid book

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think what's changed is that a lot of these kids are still posting on the same sites but now they're adults with real opinions.

"adults"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ebaumworld dot com BITCH!!!!!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
SA expels fuckheads, who go on to build their own "better" sites, which then either become stews of concentrated fuckheadism or get taken over by even worse fuckheads. Sometimes those worse people get expelled from the spinoff sites and go build their own "better" ones, etc. ad nauseum.

It's only our fault in that we don't let them sit here and fester.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Iron Crowned posted:

Sorry OP, I'm not going to buy your stupid book
no, my book is about the GameFAQs-ToonZone-SA pipeline

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

this book is like metal gear solid 2 where you think youre gonna play as somethingawful but the game makes you play as 4chan

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

College humor dot com BITCH!!!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Isaac posted:

Its the website i go to when im online

Yea me too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you do not explicitly ban people like that they take over your website because nobody else wants to be on the same site as them.
They also group up and recognize each other, using their own language and symbols.

It's like in video games. You have a 30-person server and five people with names like /SS/ROMPER-STOMPER-1488 start screaming racial slurs over the chat. Well, you're pretty much hosed if you don't ban them immediately even if it's only five out of 30 as the other 25 are playing by themselves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

All this because lowtax banned anime pedophiles
You think that's bad, Reddit exists because we banned regular pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Um actually it's called ephlebodebophiles, and according to biology there's nothing wrong with it, furthermore,