Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

They also group up and recognize each other, using their own language and symbols.

It's like in video games. You have a 30-person server and five people with names like /SS/ROMPER-STOMPER-1488 start screaming racial slurs over the chat. Well, you're pretty much hosed if you don't ban them immediately even if it's only five out of 30 as the other 25 are playing by themselves.

oh yeah, kinda like all those Trump av guys we had a couple years ago who were coordinating on Steam to push certain narratives here. Thank god most of them got banned, that was loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Camp fuckup posted:

oh yeah, kinda like all those Trump av guys we had a couple years ago who were coordinating on Steam to push certain narratives here. Thank god most of them got banned, that was loving weird.
4chan was already way too far gone with the rot by 2017 but I remember reading people posting things in /pol/ right after Charlottesville like "woah holy poo poo... I don't think I'm going to post here anymore." It may sound surprising, but I'm pretty sure there were still some people who weren't aware that within that swampy melange of shock humor there were some organized, dangerous people who were not kidding and were using it to recruit and pump their numbers.

I wouldn't say it was particularly well-organized because it was a goddamned disaster but there you go.

ResearchPorpoises
Aug 11, 2017
I am the author of this book and I just want to thank everyone here for hating it before reading it.

I did speak to Lowtax for it. He was very nice and we joked about making sure SA was in the title for promotional purposes before I knew what it was going to be.

Sorry, if you feel the title doesn't represent this site, which I understand is sort of like when gollum gets good at the end. Hopefully, I fairly represent it in the narrative.

As a first time author, I had limited control regarding titles and subtitles, though I did ultimately choose these. For what it's worth, I did worry about people getting the wrong idea about this place, internet utopia.

I have to say, it's hard to imagine a scenario where, 20 years later, the internet looks like such garbage SA shines like a gem, but strangely, it has occurred.

I haven't posted here since 1999.

How long have you been here?

Where do I collect my reddit gold?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
2004, but reading SA since 2000 at least. And I'm afraid you have to collect your Reddit Gold at Reddit.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If I could get a copy signed by Artfag, Rainbowblight, Pele, Hekcorps and zenwhen maybe I'll read it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ResearchPorpoises posted:

I am the author of this book and I just want to thank everyone here for hating it before reading it.

I did speak to Lowtax for it. He was very nice and we joked about making sure SA was in the title for promotional purposes before I knew what it was going to be.

Sorry, if you feel the title doesn't represent this site, which I understand is sort of like when gollum gets good at the end. Hopefully, I fairly represent it in the narrative.

As a first time author, I had limited control regarding titles and subtitles, though I did ultimately choose these. For what it's worth, I did worry about people getting the wrong idea about this place, internet utopia.

I have to say, it's hard to imagine a scenario where, 20 years later, the internet looks like such garbage SA shines like a gem, but strangely, it has occurred.

hey re: my FAIL BRANAN joke on the last page: im just joshin

pram
Jun 10, 2001

been here for 18 years op thx for asking

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
lol at resurrecting a month and a half old thread to tell SA that we were too mean.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
books

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Will you give me a free copy if I donate the list price amount to Lowtax?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Who What Now posted:

lol at resurrecting a month and a half old thread to tell SA that we were too mean.

:regd06:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Thanks, I hate it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

extra stout posted:

wow thats a bunch of lies and boring poo poo even just in the summary

4chan was all left wing mature dudes, then they all were arrested for some reason and then just morphed into the alt-right, sure why not no one is going to read it anyway i might as well start printing this thing already

also the podcast 'cumtown' already explained to the internet that the right went to 4chan and the left stayed here, and then it got silent and awkward when the highest paid guy told the guy who said that to shut the gently caress up

his book says 4chan is left wing? WTF

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bring back old gbs posted:

hey re: my FAIL BRANAN joke on the last page: im just joshin

Hehe more like FAHGY BUTTHOLR

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
anyone say that op is the author yet?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Imagine caring so much about a dead gay forum you write a book about it lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Do it ironically posted:

yeah it's loving awesome

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Do it ironically posted:

Imagine who will read this book

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

imagine the smell

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

Imagine who will read this book

do I frighten you

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Great

As if I needed MORE reasons to be ashamed of posting here :doh:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
i just wanted to bbe an author

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Glad I've only ever lived on SA and didn't turn into a racist nazi pedo. Thanks, Lowtax! :unsmith:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RusteJuxx posted:

Glad I've only ever lived on SA and didn't turn into a racist nazi pedo. Thanks, Lowtax! :unsmith:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Really if you want to blame anyone for SA blame game spy for firing lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RusteJuxx posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Do it ironically posted:

Really if you want to blame anyone for SA blame game spy for firing lowtax

If idsoftware hadn't released Quake without good multiplayer client options/interface, GameSpy would've never been a thing, so if you ask me it's John Carmack who should take the fall

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If idsoftware hadn't released Quake without good multiplayer client options/interface, GameSpy would've never been a thing, so if you ask me it's John Carmack who should take the fall

drat, you’re right, need to go into a time machine and stop this

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Ben Smash posted:

anyone say that op is the author yet?

No I'm the guy that wishes he would stop growing as an artist and just keep making the comic I read in college

Thanks for jumping in Dale, it's heartening to see Goons make good (so please consider kicking some CN money to Lowtax's patreon https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage)

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
why does your article say that something awful in 2005 was "an online community of a few hundred nerds who liked comics, video games, and well, nerds things." few hundred?

let's just ignore blanket statement in the second half of the sentence cause i cant be bothered. did your dedicated research into something awful for this book surpass your crap research for the article which apparently told you only like 300 people posted on sa in 2005?

why am i even asking, you obviously are a something awful expert since you havent posted in 20 years.

i will be buying your book day one

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

quote:

Poole had adapted a type of Japanese bulletin board software which was difficult to understand at first, but once learned, was far more fun to post in than the traditional American format used by S.A., as a result the site became popular very quickly.

btw do you have empirical evidence about fun levels on posting on 4chan style boards vs vbulletin

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

you gently caress

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welcome to the forums

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

What was your old username?

Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lacey posted:

What was your old username?

Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed it.

niggerstomper58

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Will you put your pen to your wacom and draw me a fat titty dinosaur???

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

Will you put your pen to your wacom and draw me a fat titty dinosaur???

This is an important question

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
im the guy in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Who What Now posted:

niggerstomper58

I laughed