Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

You think that's bad, Reddit exists because we banned regular pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

welcome to the forums

We've got fun and games.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc00pX_pFA

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

givepatajob posted:

Why isn’t there a book about Doobie’s Dog House?

All of Doobies facebook posts would make a great coffee table photobook at the very least. The profits could go to building a new Hot Dog lending library for the impoverished minorities in Reform Al.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

ResearchPorpoises posted:

I am the author of this book and I just want to thank everyone here for hating it before reading it.

I did speak to Lowtax for it. He was very nice and we joked about making sure SA was in the title for promotional purposes before I knew what it was going to be.

Sorry, if you feel the title doesn't represent this site, which I understand is sort of like when gollum gets good at the end. Hopefully, I fairly represent it in the narrative.

As a first time author, I had limited control regarding titles and subtitles, though I did ultimately choose these. For what it's worth, I did worry about people getting the wrong idea about this place, internet utopia.

I have to say, it's hard to imagine a scenario where, 20 years later, the internet looks like such garbage SA shines like a gem, but strangely, it has occurred.

I haven't posted here since 1999.

How long have you been here?

Where do I collect my reddit gold?

nice meltdown

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

I am the author of this book and I just want to thank everyone here for hating it before reading it.

I did speak to Lowtax for it. He was very nice and we joked about making sure SA was in the title for promotional purposes before I knew what it was going to be.

Sorry, if you feel the title doesn't represent this site, which I understand is sort of like when gollum gets good at the end. Hopefully, I fairly represent it in the narrative.

As a first time author, I had limited control regarding titles and subtitles, though I did ultimately choose these. For what it's worth, I did worry about people getting the wrong idea about this place, internet utopia.

I have to say, it's hard to imagine a scenario where, 20 years later, the internet looks like such garbage SA shines like a gem, but strangely, it has occurred.

Listen, man. Take it from someone who's been here for a while.

The mods? They knew. The whole time. They will tell you that they didn't know, but you cannot trust them!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
god i love that goat

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

god i love that goat

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That lil goat is probably dead by now

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

got hosed it in its butthole by Aatrek lol :D

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

NO it's wearing little sweaters and romping around in a big grassy field somewhere, obviously. :mad:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

givepatajob posted:

Why isn’t there a book about Doobie’s Dog House?

ask for it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

A Lesson Is Learned was pretty good, thanks for that

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

It boggles the mind, but it seems the tag line 'the internet makes you stupid' turned out to be a PSA more than a joke.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It boggles the mind, but it seems the tag line 'the internet makes you stupid' turned out to be a PSA more than a joke.

It always was a PSA?

ResearchPorpoises
Aug 11, 2017

Cubone posted:

A Lesson Is Learned was pretty good, thanks for that

Analytic Engine posted:

No I'm the guy that wishes he would stop growing as an artist and just keep making the comic I read in college

Thanks for jumping in Dale, it's heartening to see Goons make good (so please consider kicking some CN money to Lowtax's patreon https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage)

Thanks! Glad you like it! According to our update schedule of every 5-10 years, David and I are slowly planning a new one! Glad you guys bought Lowtax a new spine!

Lacey posted:

What was your old username?

Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed it.

Don't you think if I remembered my old username I would have used it so I wouldn't have had to spend ten dollars?! The only memory I have of posting is trying to log in one day and being enraged that the forum said I needed to pay ten dollars, and thinking, "who the hell do they think they are? This place is not ten dollars great. This forum's going to fail now." I later switch to Dumbrella (rip), which was like a forum for webcomic artists/aficionados.

Damo posted:

why does your article say that something awful in 2005 was "an online community of a few hundred nerds who liked comics, video games, and well, nerds things." few hundred?

You're right, it's wrong. Because I did no research into SA when I wrote the initial piece. I think I was conflating it with my experience of it in 1999, though maybe it was already tens of thousands of users then. Strangely, my mind discarded as irrelevant almost all the information it gathered about the weird forums I visited when I was 19. But I should have done a better job fact-checking that piece.

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

Will you put your pen to your wacom and draw me a fat titty dinosaur???

I'm not sure why you need this but ok.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I want this boring dork to post here so I can make fun of him and take his :10bux:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

We'll bring donald trump back for a second term unless DALE BERAN posts his dick and balls itt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Thanks! Glad you like it! According to our update schedule of every 5-10 years, David and I are slowly planning a new one! Glad you guys bought Lowtax a new spine!

Don't you think if I remembered my old username I would have used it so I wouldn't have had to spend ten dollars?! The only memory I have of posting is trying to log in one day and being enraged that the forum said I needed to pay ten dollars, and thinking, "who the hell do they think they are? This place is not ten dollars great. This forum's going to fail now." I later switch to Dumbrella (rip), which was like a forum for webcomic artists/aficionados.

You're right, it's wrong. Because I did no research into SA when I wrote the initial piece. I think I was conflating it with my experience of it in 1999, though maybe it was already tens of thousands of users then. Strangely, my mind discarded as irrelevant almost all the information it gathered about the weird forums I visited when I was 19. But I should have done a better job fact-checking that piece.

I'm not sure why you need this but ok.

So you wrote a book about a website you hadn't been on for almost two decades? :hmbol:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

oh he posted above me that's awkward hiiiii excited for you to be here welcome :ohdear:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Wemus posted:

All this because lowtax banned anime pedophiles

worth it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

So let me get this straight: Some rando writes a book about Something Awful 20 years after the only time he went there. Now this book man is butthurt because Something Awful made fun of his book where he did zero research?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
whatever happened to ethics in Internet history :mad:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

So let me get this straight: Some rando writes a book about Something Awful 20 years after the only time he went there. Now this book man is butthurt because Something Awful made fun of his book where he did zero research?

perfect in every way

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Yo book man leave this to the real trained historians ok?

*Waits 20 years, writes a book that completely covers up all the homoeroticism of the forums titled: Goatse Came From EBaums*

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So if it came from SA, we can just post the book here without copyright fear, right?

Cause he already gave SA full credit for the book on the cover.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
well what now

are there going to be a bunch of new very politically active and temperamental regs

do we need to keep an eye on CSPAM and the Games forum for breakouts? i'm very excited to have some 20-somethings around, i always feel like a baby around you dinosaurs

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
the internet doesn't make me stupid. It makes everyone else stupid. You're all the problem.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The only time I came from Something Awful was when DPPH was around!!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*writes book on the rise of internet trolls called "It Came From Something Awful"*

*comes to Something Awful*

*gets trolled*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bitcoin Donations: 1Mg6oxWSys4QjEvQHDJDpQtZ3TSGJ7C5mC
Ethereum Donations: 0x54B48c2fE8C9086E58552B543144B716eA61F145
lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

*writes book on the rise of internet trolls called "It Came From Something Awful"*

*gets trolled*
I feel bad now I really didn't know he was here in the thread, it's okay man I'm just playing, donald trump is coming back with or without your genitals.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

*gets trolled*

And all was right in the world.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Guy drew me a dinosaur, so he's okayish in my book. :colbert:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

old beast lunatic posted:

the internet doesn't make me stupid. It makes everyone else stupid. You're all the problem.

Actually, I’m very smart, I’ll have you know. Have you heard of MENSA?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You're right, it's wrong. Because I did no research into SA when I wrote the initial piece.
:ironicat:

I'm usually not this hostile I hope I'm not coming down with something

I think it was the bitcoin address

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
but its the currency of the future :smithfrog:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

but its the currency of the future :smithfrog:

then what am I supposed to do with all these dippin' dots

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apply the blockchain :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Publish an article in medium about how it appears the author of this book is in fact a "Trump Lover", according to his avatar at the website that spawned alt-right trolls and a post-truth america.