Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Protagonist posted:

white suburban ennui

yeah that is pretty muchsums up all I can remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nooner posted:

yeah that is pretty muchsums up all I can remember

Smurf genitals

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did someone say mushrooms? highly recommend

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

Gretchen was hot

She's good and super hot in Bottlm of the World, which is like Mulholland Drive meets Lost Highway

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
The entire movie was just an excuse for its pedophile director to have little girls dancing, wanting to be with them alone...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Data posted:

The entire movie was just an excuse for its pedophile director to have little girls dancing, wanting to be with them alone...

I don't think you quite got the message of the film

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was there a message besides Look Out For Planes!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

watch out for snakes!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seth Rogan was in this.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cosplay rabbits are weird

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Seth Rogan was in this.

Wait, what?

Big Data posted:

Wait, WHAT?!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

1redflag posted:

Wait, what?

It's one of Seth Rogan's first roles, he's one of the douchebags in class.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i got myself banned from a bar this evening, in a small midwestern town

theres only like, half a dozen more bars I can think of off the top of my head in walknig distance

im mad okay

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gently caress this movie and gently caress you

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're the fuckin worst protagonist ever

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

its true, an apropos one for this reality

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no protagonist dont be dead and gay. you gotta be the protagonist

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's one of Seth Rogan's first roles, he's one of the douchebags in class.

I like your boobs

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016
I freakin loved this movie in my high school years, and I still haven't watched it since then because I assume it to be total poo poo. Can anyone tell me if it still holds up.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf posted:

I freakin loved this movie in my high school years, and I still haven't watched it since then because I assume it to be total poo poo. Can anyone tell me if it still holds up.
here's everything that was cool about this movie in high school:
1) frank
2) Donnie speaking truth to power at a school assembly by calling patrick swayze the antichrist
3) Gary Jules - Mad World
4) this bit off the soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXqTPV8FhYU
5) visual depiction of time as continuous intersections in 4-dimensional space (at the party)
6) suck a gently caress
7) smurfs
8) cellar door are the most beautiful words in the english language or something

here's what does not hold up:
1) the plot

do you remember what this movie was actually about?
I'd bet, like most people, you just remember it as being sort of mysterious and it has something to do with destiny and the end of the world, but, like, it mixes the destiny stuff with time stuff, and it's super weird and deep?

here's the plot of donnie darko:

quote:

the film takes place in an unstable Tangent Universe that is physically connected to the Primary Universe by a wormhole and which is an exact duplicate of it, except for an extra metal object known as an Artifact — which in this case is the jet engine. If the Artifact is not sent to the Primary Universe by the chosen Living Receiver (Donnie) within 28 days, the Primary Universe will be destroyed upon the collapse of the Tangent in a black hole. To aid in this task, the Living Receiver is given super-human abilities such as foresight, physical strength and elemental powers, but at the cost of troubling visions and paranoia, while the Manipulated Living (all who live around the Receiver) support him in unnatural ways, setting up a domino-like chain of events encouraging him to return the Artifact. The Manipulated Dead (those who die within the Tangent Universe, like Frank and Gretchen) are more aware than the Living, having the power to travel through time, and will set an Ensurance Trap, a scenario which leaves the Receiver no choice but to save the Primary Universe.
shut the gently caress up, movie.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cubone posted:

3) Gary Jules - Mad World

This part sucks actually, and it’s one of the first examples of “depressing and slow version of pop song” that you hear all the time today in trailers and stuff.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

This part sucks actually, and it’s one of the first examples of “depressing and slow version of pop song” that you hear all the time today in trailers and stuff.

You need to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnmR1X3G9I

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The soundtrack is good. Echo and the Bunnymen own.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Now here’s a take I haven’t seen in a long time. A long time.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The original is better! I will go to my grave defending it.

I think Gears of War also had some really dramatic trailer that used the Gary Jules version.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

The original is better! I will go to my grave defending it.

I think Gears of War also had some really dramatic trailer that used the Gary Jules version.
You are right on all of this.

Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I mean it’s a moot point really, because the best song in Donnie Darko is

NO-
NO-

NO-TORIOUS

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"depressing and slow version of pop song" during video games reminds me of something thats been bothering me in movies lately, goons. whats the deal with opening comic book movies with happy songs around a bunch of violence. like they're promoting violence itself is a happy state to be in. i dont agree with it at all

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

*questions your commitment to Sparkle Motion*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marijuanamancer posted:

"depressing and slow version of pop song" during video games reminds me of something thats been bothering me in movies lately, goons. whats the deal with opening comic book movies with happy songs around a bunch of violence. like they're promoting violence itself is a happy state to be in. i dont agree with it at all

I have a similar thing with 'What a Wonderful World'. That now makes me think of horrible things being shown overtop of it, moreso than what was actually intended from the song.

:argh:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Donnie Darko is a good late September and October movie.

Leon Einstein posted:

The soundtrack is good. Echo and the Bunnymen own.

I always liked the guitar riff syncing up with Frank's car driving by in the intro.

Aug 3, 2014

ProperCoochie posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Cubone posted:

shut the gently caress up, movie.

:hmmyes:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I didn't like it when I saw it but I may have felt that way because this one super annoying nerd kept raving about how good it was

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

Yes, it is a definite Libra movie. But what wine does it pair with?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Moon Atari posted:

Yes, it is a definite Libra movie. But what wine does it pair with?

Two buck chuck

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I didn't like it when I saw it but I may have felt that way because this one super annoying nerd kept raving about how good it was

That's what happens with most people who totally hate it I think, and to all my friends I forced to watch it, I'm sorry

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
i thought this movie was good, up until i stopped being a teenager.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
lol you idiots commentating on the quality movie when this thread it's about living the double-D style... i wore a skeleton suit like my boy Donny for Haloween last year with one addition - an inflatable skeleton dick, also known as a BONE-er

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

wane tendo posted:

lol you idiots commentating on the quality movie when this thread it's about living the double-D style... i wore a skeleton suit like my boy Donny for Haloween last year with one addition - an inflatable skeleton dick, also known as a BONE-er

:coal: story