Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

drat Leon don't take your poo poo out on me in the Donny Darko Style Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
reeked of gasoline today

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like to think I'm living life Gross Pointe Blank style after spending 10 years as a contract killer and recently returning home to Detroit and seeing all my old friends and high school sweetheart.

Also my home was bulldozed for a convenience store and my mom is crazy so it's all mostly true.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Everyone who dies has to go through a similar process to donnie

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Donnie Darko sucks

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Who What Now posted:

Donnie Darko sucks

Chut up

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Go back to China, bitch

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
highschool to me is just a single montage of discussing the symbolism in donnie darko with a bunch of kids who would grow up to be english majors

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did some kid say "I'm not afraid anymore!" at an assembly or something? I still say that in this half remembered intonation that I think I picked up from this movie.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

highschool to me is just a single montage of discussing the symbolism in donnie darko with a bunch of kids who would grow up to be english majors
cool. very self-referential since dd can arguably be read as a story about storytelling.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Did anyone ever call him Donny Fartko?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
S. Darko? :regd08:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
His last name was darko because of the dark themes in the movie

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I QCed this old chuck norris movie this morning and i dont really know wtf it was all about cause i didnt actually watch it, but in the last scene chuck and the bad guy are in an offoce building and chuck straight up blasts the dude with a rocket launcher from like 2 cubicles away he doesnt even loving aim it, he just hip fires it at the fucker and asplodes him

THAT is the kinda life I want to be living

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
https://youtu.be/DgcT2zW4KnE

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Nooner posted:

His last name was darko because of the dark themes in the movie

C- see me after class

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Zane posted:

dd can arguably be read as a story about storytelling.
how so?

no shade

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did some kid say "I'm not afraid anymore!" at an assembly or something? I still say that in this half remembered intonation that I think I picked up from this movie.

There is no half-remembering fear. There is only complete love or complete fear.

Proof: The life line is divided that way.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Cubone posted:

how so?

no shade
there are three deliberate levels of narrative if you read donnie darko very sympathetically. the first level is about teenage rebellion against a stultifying and hypocritical adult society. the second level is about portals and time travel and superheroes and poo poo. and the third level is about the experience of insanity (insanity typically beginning in adolescence) and the attempt of the human mind to make narrative sense of that experience -- even when the biological foundation for it is melting down.

there are several parts of the movie, in favour of this interpretation, that seem explicitly to suggest (esp the emphasis on the drew barrymore character and the motif of 'cellar door') that the first and second levels are fictions -- with some indeterminate portion of events being fabrications of donnie darko's own mind. and that that the only 'true' facticity is darko's moment to moment suffering in the world and his attempt to make sense of that suffering through the creative and/or liberatory tools of storytelling. darko participates in the first level (increasingly 'false'); creates the second level (ultimately 'true' for him); but is actually on the third level where the consistency of concepts and objects are rapidly breaking down.

Zane fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 15, 2019

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWl2Zgd0Qpk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's from the Fear and Love video that Swayze's character made, that super-awesome-character-actor Beth Grant shows her class.

Seriously, Beth Grant loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
at one time this was my sisters favorite movie ever. a title which seemed to be held by a different champion every other month and served me well as an early warning system