Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Birthrights story is pretty vanilla as far as Fire Emblem stories. Conquest and Revelations is where the real dumb poo poo is, and wow is there some real dumb poo poo there.

Conquest also happens to have some of the best maps and gameplay in the whole series so it's a pretty mixed bag.

Revelations just sucks.

Conquest also has the single worst map I've ever played in a turn based strategy game. So it's a very mixed bag.

But Christ why would you do this to yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Oh boy. Friends have been telling me about Fire Emblem for years. I'm sure this LP will give me a good first impression!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Oh boy. Friends have been telling me about Fire Emblem for years. I'm sure this LP will give me a good first impression!

This is the Operation Raccoon City of Fire Emblem games.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
After drinking box wine I remembered that certain plot points (the story not Shinzo Abe gently caress-anime plot points)are determined by how much you A-rank (NOT the gently caress rank) certain characters

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Whamukars posted:

After drinking box wine I remembered that certain plot points (the story not Shinzo Abe gently caress-anime plot points)are determined by how much you A-rank (NOT the gently caress rank) certain characters

I hate how much I understood of that sentence.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: a new video :frogsiren:
Ep 02 - Gift of Ganglari

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2021

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh, I dunno if it's really gonna come up, but in Fates' casual mode, your main character CAN totally KO and it won't game over you. And I think it's the only FE game where that's the case (I actually don't know if that's true in Echoes, but I assume it is.)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

drat, dad gave chome a pretty sweet sword. Do you think he bought it from BUDK?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RareAcumen posted:

This is the Operation Raccoon City of Fire Emblem games.

I know less about that than I do Fire Emblem.

Question for those in the know: how much continuity of story/setting/characters is there in these games? I figure Corrin is a one-off for Fates, but there's been some talk of Camilla as a series regular. Are the families consistent between games? Is it a reimagining each time? What is even going on?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

You know I'm not a sword expert, but I don't think they are supposed to be pulsating with pure evil energy.

Ah I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vavrek posted:

Question for those in the know: how much continuity of story/setting/characters is there in these games? I figure Corrin is a one-off for Fates, but there's been some talk of Camilla as a series regular. Are the families consistent between games? Is it a reimagining each time? What is even going on?

That is a slightly tougher question to answer due to what comes up later. In general though unless a game specifically states that it is continuing from another game then it is a stand alone product. With Camilla at least she shows up in spin off games but will only show up in one mainline release.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vavrek posted:

If you can understand at least 'Oh that was one of the bad ones' then you've got it.

To try and simplify things, Fire Emblem usually follows Final Fantasy rules, they don't really do sequels too often but they happen sometimes. With the 3DS ones they'll let you pull in other characters using amiibos but aside from that there's not really a lot of crossover in the main games.

Then you get spinoffs like Fire Emblem Warriors and Heroes and those are all about using a bunch of characters throughout the series like Hyrule Warriors did so those are much looser rules.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 19, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wanted to wait a bit before watching anything so there'd be a few backlogged already and I'm not :f5: crazy and hot drat I can't believe you guys just kinda stumbled into making a harem protagonist rather than striking to do one from the outset.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Having grown up in Israel and the propaganda therein, there's practically no way someone whose only knowledge of their empire's long-time enemy is what their empire says would just naively think 'oh we're all just people we could all get along'.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I wanted to wait a bit before watching anything so there'd be a few backlogged already and I'm not :f5: crazy and hot drat I can't believe you guys just kinda stumbled into making a harem protagonist rather than striking to do one from the outset.

I didn't see any other options

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I haven't posted in this subforum in like 7 years but I would just like to say I'm way into this already

I like so many things about FE Fates but good god it is one of the most problem-laden 4 out of 5 games in the world.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Cool, the repressed memories are starting to come back. Couple things:

I think this chapter is where the first difference between Boy Chome and Girl Chome comes up (I'm assuming because I've only ever played Girl Chome, those male appearance options are across the board dreadful). Girl Chome is given Gunter and a different character to start with, instead of Felicia.

I don't think you saw Rinkah's class, because it was hidden by other menus, but she's an Oni Savage, just like our Chome. So that gives you an idea of what he could be if you decided to reclass him to that later!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Is that "other dimension" Ganglari is infused with power from supposed to be hell itself or something? Because that's my first thought when I see its design. I'd comment further on Ganglari, but that edges into "spoilers disguised as speculation" territory.

Anyway! What stereotypical "villain" action will Garon take next? Maybe kick a bag of puppies into the ocean or something? Really, it feels like he's actually got a checklist of "things to do to remind people that I Am Evil."

Incidentally, Gunter and Felicia have atrocious Strength growth, so they will never be decent physical attackers (Gunter, in particular, ties with several mages for the dubious honor of "worst unmodified Strength growth in the game"). Not that you'd use Gunter long with those stats anyway...

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me
Okay, I did laugh when it was pointed out that yes, Camilla is very much Chome's sister and that makes a lot of what she's said thus far even worse as far as the creep factor. But I do want to give a lukewarm defense of the game and say that incest has been a theme in Fire Emblem for a very long time. They're just being more honest about it in Fates.

CptWedgie posted:

Incidentally, Gunter and Felicia have atrocious Strength growth, so they will never be decent physical attackers (Gunter, in particular, ties with several mages for the dubious honor of "worst unmodified Strength growth in the game"). Not that you'd use Gunter long with those stats anyway...

Eh. Felicia's main usefulness is as a Healer anyway. Her class makes her a little more likely to survive a hit or two than most staff-bot characters in the early game.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Also, I would recommend to Kuvo to go into options and disable animations for the enemy turn. It may seem tolerable now, but in later chapters you will have enemies deploying up to 40-60 dudes and having to mash skip every time one attacks or is attacked.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

Also, I would recommend to Kuvo to go into options and disable animations for the enemy turn. It may seem tolerable now, but in later chapters you will have enemies deploying up to 40-60 dudes and having to mash skip every time one attacks or is attacked.

i did this after our second session started to take forever

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

i did this after our second session started to take forever

If it gets really bad you can just skip the entire enemy turn.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gaearin posted:

But I do want to give a lukewarm defense of the game and say that incest has been a theme in Fire Emblem for a very long time. They're just being more honest about it in Fates.

As a Heinlein fan, this makes me feel right at home.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Gaearin posted:

But I do want to give a lukewarm defense of the game and say that incest has been a theme in Fire Emblem for a very long time. They're just being more honest about it in Fates.

I'd hardly say that 'appearing 3 times across 13 games before this one' is a theme, but yeah, Fire Emblem's history with incest is concerning and frustrating. Granted, 2 of those 3 times the characters in question didn't know it was incestuous, but that isn't any better a defense for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slink_bot posted:

I'd hardly say that 'appearing 3 times across 13 games before this one' is a theme, but yeah, Fire Emblem's history with incest is concerning and frustrating. Granted, 2 of those 3 times the characters in question didn't know it was incestuous, but that isn't any better a defense for it.

Didn't the guy who kept trying to put that into the games go on to make Tear Ring Saga or something where it was even more heavily slathered all over everything?

And if you're gonna put incest in, you either go all in on it like Game of Thrones and Back to the Future or you make a joke out of it like Arrested Development.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I’m going to put the nail in this incest discussion right now so we don’t have to go on and on about it. As said previously, incest has only appeared 3 times in the entire series history, and each time was not certainly not a “theme” and had no notable bearing on the story.

The first time was in Genealogy of The Holy War (FE4), in which two related characters could have a kid if you paired them. I dont know much about fe4, but I’m pretty sure you could easily just choose not have that happen. If you are a weirdo and do make it happen I don’t recall it having any impact on the plot anyway.

Second time was in Awakening (FE13), in which a doomsday cult used inbreeding to produce a child with perfect dragon blood that could be used to summon a Satan-dragon. As far as I can remember you can’t make any of the characters incest.

I actually don’t know what the third time was.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 20, 2019

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

FE4 does has incest as a major plot point... because it was used by the villain to give Dragon Satan a body to reincarnate into. E: wait are you telling me they used that plot point twice

And while yes Kaga definitely laid his fetishes/misogyny bare in the games he worked on he had entirely different weird obsessions leak through.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 20, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Second time was in Awakening (FE13), in which a doomsday cult used inbreeding to produce a child with perfect dragon blood that could be used to summon a Satan-dragon. As far as I can remember you can’t make any of the characters incest.

Sort of. Depending on your 1st generation pairings in Awakening it was possible to have some of your 2nd generation characters be cousins. Those characters are able to gain S-rank supports with each other, but if they're cousins they become "companions" instead of spouses.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

FE4 does has incest as a major plot point... because it was used by the villain to give Dragon Satan a body to reincarnate into. E: wait are you telling me they used that plot point twice

This says something about evil dragons I think.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Gruckles posted:

Sort of. Depending on your 1st generation pairings in Awakening it was possible to have some of your 2nd generation characters be cousins. Those characters are able to gain S-rank supports with each other, but if they're cousins they become "companions" instead of spouses.

Only in the localization, in Japan they're straight up spouses.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
As a lifelong FE fan I'm pretty pumped to see kuvo and crew drunkenly stumble their way through the game.

but the little min-maxer in me is getting unreasonably irritated at picking the hp boon. Who does that rather than picking one of str/spd/def.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TheWhaler posted:

but the little min-maxer in me is getting unreasonably irritated at picking the hp boon. Who does that rather than picking one of str/spd/def.

Objectively wrong people, that’s who.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I’m going to put the nail in this incest discussion right now so we don’t have to go on and on about it. As said previously, incest has only appeared 3 times in the entire series history, and each time was not certainly not a “theme” and had no notable bearing on the story.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 03 - Journey Begins

also please, continue to talk about sister loving. its a deeply engaging and nuanced topic with a lot of depth that we've yet to explore

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hans is the best. "Everyone, this is Murderman. He murders, but promised not to." "Oh no! He murdered."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 03 - Journey Begins

also please, continue to talk about sister loving. its a deeply engaging and nuanced topic with a lot of depth that we've yet to explore

"This game went off the deep end rather quickly."

:thunk:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Every time I actually see the cutscenes I'm surprised that I forgot how dumb this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kuvo posted:

I've also some dissertations on dragon loving if that would be preferable