Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Going back a little bit, Hinata is perfectly serviceable if promoted immediately. As a Master of Arms he can help carry the next 3 chapters and later provides a Str and Def pair up which much of the Birthright crew desperately needs. Also he has Oni Savage as his secondary class which suits his bases and growths much better. If you try to use him as a samurai glass cannon, you will be disappointed.

My favorite thing to do with Rinkah is to stack Seal skills on her and turn her into a Master Ninja for ultimate de-buffing. She can get 3 through Oni and friendship with Oboro; you can grab a fourth through marriage with Hinata. It takes a crap of investment but is hilarious in endgame.

There's nothing good about Subaki other than the free weapon from his daughter. If his strength and defense are blessed he can be a flying wall but there are always superior options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Even bad flyers are serviceable because of their mobility. However Birthright normal is easy enough that it doesn't matter what units you use.

This is true, but you're given 3 awesome flyers by midgame and one capturable boss who's just as good. That fourth flyer just falls by the wayside. His best chapters are 8 and 11, and 11 only counts if you've been training him consistently in between.

Hell, his daughter at base if immediately recruited after Chapter 7 has better relevant bases and comes with a reaver. And I love Subaki; I've taken him to endgame in Lunatic. Objectively, he sucks.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The magic weapons are pretty gimmicky in the GBA and Tellius games. Every other game they exist in they are OP as gently caress. Especially in Fates.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Part of the reason the "powergamers" value bases so much is that (nearly) every game is beatable with 0% growths. That means characters gain levels and weapon xp, and promotion gains, but their stats never otherwise go up naturally.

Fates in particular is balanced more on skills and weapon attributes than actual stats which is why the 2 servants are some of the most broken units in the game with minimal investment.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've often felt Fates took the concept of the "Christmas Cavs" to an absurd degree. On the Hoshido side it feels like you have Christmas Ninjas, Samurai and Pegs. Nohr gives you the Christmas Cavs of course, and Mercenaries and Dark Mages. You're even given Christmas Jeigans in a way with the two servants.

I guess in a sense Setsuna and Takumi could be considered Christmas Archers, but it fails miserably with Setsuna more so than any of the others. She's fast at least and can tank a mage.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's sadly impossible the way the game works (ie you don't have to have them), but imagine if it was one of the kids. Most of them (should) have abandonment issues, we've seen them accidentally find themselves in Chomeworld or be invaded from other places, it wouldn't have been impossible story-wise for one of them to get contacted by an agent of Nohr and be convinced to exact revenge on their neglectful parents.

This would work in a situation like Awakening where one child is guaranteed to appear regardless of player input.

Here, not so much.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I agree. Fates' story is a dumpster fire and the characterization is uneven or non-existent, but they really nailed down the gameplay here.

Birthright is simply a better Awakening in terms of how the maps are designed, and no rear end in a top hat reinforcements means it's the only version of any game in the series where Lunatic is actually fun to play. Seriously, I can't even enjoy Awakening anymore because of the reinforcements on Hard and above.

I actually enjoyed the changes to the weapons. I like that the endgame isn't just 5 units with hand axes and javelins tanking everything on the map. Now there are actual, tactical reasons to choose which weapons to use and when. I will admit that shuriken are just a little too good, but 1-2 range has always been that way. And let's not forget that Fates was the first game to make bows good again, even ignoring Takumi.

Pair Up is even better in this game, and by that I mean it was nerfed. Now there are stances, and like weapons there are times to use both. Birthright is easy enough you could play it like Awakening regardless of difficulty, but try playing Conquest with everyone in guard stance and you won't make it past Chapter 6 on Hard.

Conquest has some of the best maps to come out in the West since PoR. Chapter 10 is the first real difficulty spike, but I often struggle more on Chapter 12. 17 and 19 are puzzles, but discovering a solution is pretty fun. The Wind Tribe is the most unfun, artificially bullshit difficult map in the game but it's one of a small few slogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

I finish Conquest Hard with everyone in guard stance. I won't say it was smooth, but it's very doable.

I didn't think it was possible. Wow.

Fates, particularly Conquest, is a very plater phase focused game in a series that generally relies on a strong enemy phase playstyle. Once that clicked for me the game became much more fun.