Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I love Survivor. I hate the casting director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

I also watch 40 seasons of things I hate

You must be a Star Trek fan as well!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Hard same. That plus I wish they'd do either just returnees or just new players, instead of an awkward mix.

Having said that I'll probably still watch every episode.

:same:

though depending on how bad it gets it may just become "also on while I play a game" instead of just my hard focus

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Listen I don't want to lecture you guys but you need to straighten up because this is Survivor and it's the best and I won't hear otherwise.

:gritin:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I very much enjoy Survivor and have no negative feelings or anger or anything going into this season, whatever gimmick the Extinction thing is that I've already forgotten what I read weeks ago about it. Whatever. A bunch of people are gonna play an evil game and they might be good at it or they might be comically bad at it. I'm good.

I also don't have any problem with Joe. There's room in Survivor for Joes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

You must be a Star Trek fan as well!

I super am, in fact. I don't hate watch anything except political speeches, though

I've been very disappointed by some seasons of Trek and of Survivor (albeit less so) but if I ever actually hated it I'd just stop watching. :shrug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You're so serious.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's a bit of an abusive relationship. It delights me just barely enough to keep me hanging on.

:sigh:

this is the saddest poo poo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really am surprised by the negativity. I thought the Survivor threads were one of the few non hatewatching threads in TVIV.

I kinda feel like Survivor fans just work themselves up between seasons for some reason. Too much time to worry about how the new twist is going to ruin everything.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I love the show but i do get mad when the producers do dumb poo poo to screw up The Beautiful Game. I'm always excited for a new season though, even if i can already tell a twist is gonna be dumb

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I really am surprised by the negativity. I thought the Survivor threads were one of the few non hatewatching threads in TVIV.

I kinda feel like Survivor fans just work themselves up between seasons for some reason. Too much time to worry about how the new twist is going to ruin everything.

we've already seen that Redemption Island as a concept is dumb and bad, so they've got an uphill battle when they introduce Redemption Island Deluxe.

also mixing newbies with returning players isn't as fun as a season with either/or.

i'm always hype for a new season, but man they make some weird decisions.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
This season is going to be A Good Season.

Because it is Survivor.

I guess you can go watch BBT or something if you want...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think since they're more or less staying in Fiji permanently, they think they have to keep coming up with a new gimmick or theme every season because they can't just keep calling it 'Survivor: Fiji Again?!'.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

If they keep doing gimmicks eventually they'll do Survivor: Back to Basics where the gimmick is that there is no gimmick

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I lovewatch Survivor

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Everyone hates Redemption Island and the producers deserve endless poo poo for bringing it back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time I see Joe I just think of some CBS guy thinking "budget Ozzy"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gluten Freeman posted:

If they keep doing gimmicks eventually they'll do Survivor: Back to Basics where the gimmick is that there is no gimmick

We can hope!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Gluten Freeman posted:

imagine how paranoid people would be about HIIs 22 days into a season when they hadn't seen one yet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spokes posted:

imagine how paranoid people would be about HIIs 22 days into a season when they hadn't seen one yet

It would be great

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It would produce maybe one good moment in the whole season (when someone acts over paranoid) and then someone from the biggest alliance will win the game in a unanimous vote.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

Every time I see Joe I just think of some CBS guy thinking "budget Ozzy"

poverty ozzy

pozzerty

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

It would produce maybe one good moment in the whole season (when someone acts over paranoid) and then someone from the biggest alliance will win the game in a unanimous vote.

Nobody knows what might have happened in Palau if it hadn't been Palau.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't usually do the whole pony/poison thing. But I'm gonna do it this season.

I'm gonna push some buttons here...

Pony - Joe
Poison\ - Aubry.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You, troll, you.

Wentworth would have been a more inflaming poison choice.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also they should do a half back to basics season. Don't have any idols or advantages in the game... but have a poo poo ton of hidden clues promising idols and advantages in the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta be honest, Aubry didn't make enough of an impression on me that I REALLY remember her. Like I know who she is and I know I'll call her Audrey a bunch but I don't really remember anything she did.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She kind of held down the alliance of sane and stable people and made decent game decisions. She stood out mostly for being Team Not-Scot Pollard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

I lovewatch Survivor

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I gotta be honest, Aubry didn't make enough of an impression on me that I REALLY remember her. Like I know who she is and I know I'll call her Audrey a bunch but I don't really remember anything she did.

Her first time round in Koah Rong was alright. On paper, she's a decently strategic player that could appeal to people emotionally to flip. In practice, she flipped Tai (who's emotional anyway), and Cydney probably did most of the strategic weightlifting actually (at least as far as I remember). Plus Koah Rong is kind of a mess in terms of gameplay.

Her second time round, she was so invisible that Angela from Ghost Island probably had more relevance in her season.

I mean... she's alright, I guess. I'm not convinced she's a top tier player despite her showings. But I'm open to changing my mind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah like i have this vague idea in my head that she's a strategist but like I have no actual memories of any moves or plans that would back that up. I'm not saying they didn't happen, I just don't remember them and I actually didn't really remember that she was on two seasons. Even reading through her fandom page it just sort of seems like she manipulated/reasoned with Tai a bunch and was probably a background factor in a lot of the things I remember him doing?

I didn't even remember she was the one who lost to Michelle. I suppose maybe that's part of why she's got some following and fanbase because obviously a lot of people weren't too happy with that result. To be honest I don't remember a hell of a lot about Kaoh Rong besides like Tai's general behavior and a kind of general memory of him sorta betraying Scot but Scot was betraying him and there was some kind of super idol or something and I really don't remember at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well here's what I remember about Aubry's time on Koah Rong:

-Had a meltdown in the first episode but came back to win immunity for her tribe
-Waffled for an eternity in the final premerge TC before writing down Julia Peter's name
-Had an ally in Neal, who got medevaced with an idol in his pocket that he didn't give to Aubry, which she was annoyed about
-After finding out about the super idol, collaborated with Cydney to vote out Debbie as a sacrificial lamb
-Managed to appeal to Tai to flip and vote out Scot
-Aimed to take out Michele towards the end but had that plan foiled when she won immunity

And finally:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kaoh Rong is a good season to block out.

Jason and Scott did their best to turn it into another World’s Apart level of ugly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agreed, I liked the Final 3 of Koah Rong but until Scot was taken out, it was just... not great.

Scot/Jason were better when they were separated during the swap (and Jason seemed okay after Scot was gone), but together... bleh.

Honestly, it has probably the least competent male cast since One World.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Joe and Kelly are going to trip on mushrooms and paint each other's bodies like they did on Mana.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure that was Wigglesworth. This is Wentworth.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Might as well have been Purple Kelly

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wigglesworth was a Purple Kelly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well here's what I remember about Aubry's time on Koah Rong:

-Had a meltdown in the first episode but came back to win immunity for her tribe
-Waffled for an eternity in the final premerge TC before writing down Julia Peter's name
-Had an ally in Neal, who got medevaced with an idol in his pocket that he didn't give to Aubry, which she was annoyed about
-After finding out about the super idol, collaborated with Cydney to vote out Debbie as a sacrificial lamb
-Managed to appeal to Tai to flip and vote out Scot
-Aimed to take out Michele towards the end but had that plan foiled when she won immunity

And finally:

Also had her other ally Joe Del Campo die a meat related death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

For the first time in years, I'll be able to watch this season when the episodes actually air!

In keeping with my tradition of picking pony/poison based on nothing but the little blurb under the players' pictures in the OP of the thread:

Pony: Rick
Poison: Chris