Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I have very low hopes for this Extinction twist. I hope it isn't boring and lovely, but introducing it in the same season as bringing back players kind of grinds my gears. I think a returning player wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Gluten Freeman posted:

If they keep doing gimmicks eventually they'll do Survivor: Back to Basics where the gimmick is that there is no gimmick

imagine how paranoid people would be about HIIs 22 days into a season when they hadn't seen one yet

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Just once I want someone to say their favorite player was Chris Daugherty or Sandra instead of it always being Parvati or Russell or whoever won the previous season.

galaxy brain play: pick someone that never existed and express shock that no one else remembers them

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I tire of the wardog.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I’m coming around on wardog as a character. He’s still patently ridiculous in every way but I don’t mind him on my tv. Ditto Big Wendy. My biggest gripe is how much time we spend on extinction island, but I’m liking the way this season is shaping up

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Two hours tonight, baby!

Give me all the Wendy and all the Wardog. I don't think this season is an all-time great but gently caress it, I'm along for the ride.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Bloop posted:

lol @ Reem or Keith winning a challenge to get back in the game.

I mean, sure, it could happen

i feel like Reem is just boiling over with anger 24/7 so anything she does (including winning a challenge) wouldn't surprise me. Keith, no chance, and i bet he leaves poo poo Mast Island afterward

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

blue squares posted:

Lol how many times have we all had this same argument. And all the other arguments we routinely have

167 hours in a week where i can't watch wardog, gotta do something in the meantime

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I love the Wardog

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

We've been through so many iterations of the Redemption/Exile/EOE arc I wasn't entirely clear if THIS instance of it had some sort of different caveat since "technically" everyone on Loser Beach is still in the game since they can win comps and somewhat influence outcomes because of advantage gifts to those on Not-Loser Beach.

And the inevitable buyback comp that will occur at some point.

Otherwise, this EOE island is a new spin unless I'm blocking out the other times it has happened in this way.
And Survivor has been known to move the goal posts at will in terms of rules.

I'm also not the most avid watcher, I don't know who or how the person last season won (checked out due to personal poo poo that holds more precedence) and I never got through Africa or China at all even though I know those outcomes.
I guess I could revisit those seasons but :effort:

Last season was the best in quite some time, highly recommended. There’s no shortage of players from there that’ll be returning, too, might as well get familiar (I mean, :effort:, of course, but it’s not like you’ll be suffering through another HHH or anything)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Vernacular posted:

She’s also just really nice. Like authentically and unassumingly nice, in the same way as people like Natalie White and Michelle Fitzgerald who ended up taking votes away from less agreeable gamebots.

I don’t think she has played an interesting game at all, but if she finds herself at the end sitting next to people that haven’t been playing overtly great games, she might snag a few votes.

Going to need at least five!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Reem winning with the votes of her new EoE friends would be the perfect cap to this season

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Turbo is a hell of a name

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I feel like Rick is kind of in the same spot that Christian was -- everyone has just decided that he's an unbeatable FTC threat based on... ???????

So he'll either idol/challenge/fire his way to final three and win, or won't. My personal feelings aside, I definitely understand how this might not be compelling strategic television.

Also, and I think someone else posted about this--doesn't it make sense for everyone on EoE to just make a pact to vote at FTC for whoever returns? There's never (iirc) been any sort of incentive for the jury to vote a certain way (aside from "rewarding the best player" lol) so why not promise your vote and get the benefits of probably winning if you win the return challenge AND build a reputation of being true to your word for future seasons (i'm sure there are holes in this plan but i really want to theorycraft reem a million dollars)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, both guys were seen as clear winners by the players because both guys were loved by the players, hadn't gotten any blood on their hands, and had done a bunch of "resume" stuff. I don't think there's much mystery there. Neither was a master strategist or gamebot but that's usually something fans and other gamebots care about more. If everyone on the jury loves you and thinks you played heart out, you're gonna win if you get to the end.

Sure, yeah, i didn't mean to imply that they hadn't *done* anything, just that they were marked as the winner with a dozen+ days of gameplay left and everything shifted to be about them--just a gripe that everyone seems to jump on board with "vote off devens or we all lose" and it makes for boring gameplay

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The only winning move really was, for 27 days, not to play. What a prescient thread title.

Big thumbs down on this season for me, but hook this season 39 poo poo straight to my veins, this is going to be terrible in a good way

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i'm just fine continuing to use spoilers (and also just fine NOT using spoilers, so, whatever).

It does feel like people should have the option to not have the full cast list spoiled for a season that isn't even officially announced yet. I don't understand necessarily how not having that information would improve their life, but i get it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Rarity posted:

Ah, I see we're in Survivor off-season again

god i can't wait for fall and a big-rear end 30 foot statue of boston rob's fuckin head

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, it wasn't that nobody was having fun on Game Changers, it's that every single person who was or could was voted out in the pre-merge. Then Varner did what he did, and the whole rest of the game was tainted by this negative aura. It was uncomfortable and weirdly personal. It doesn't help that the winner's primary calling card was that she was super good at betrayal, and her closest competition was a former NFL player turned lawyer who was already a millionaire and spent most of his last episode loudly and viciously berating one of the nicest people in the game.

It was really impressive how thoroughly culpepper was able to torpedo himself throughout the entirety of the last few days, GC was great for that

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

The biggest rule to understanding juries in Survivor is that for the most part they vote for whoever they like the most.

I agree, and this doesn't feel good, right? is there any way they could do something different/better? Like, I understand, social game, blah blah blah, but like, spoilers for DvG and EoE:

The entire post-merge was focused on "Well nobody can beat Christian or Devens at FTC" even though neither of them actually did anything at any point that was Impressive and Vote-Worthy, they were just two guys who were funny and clever and nice to be around. I don't care much because it was fun TV and I'm not a crazy die-hard survivor strategy fan or anything, but I could definitely see that as a strategic competitor who wants to win it could be frustrating

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

But Cirie's social game

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

How do you feel about Rob possibly winning on both his 4th and 5th games?

4th, 5th, and 6th, God willing. I hope there's some challenge where he and Sandra get to join the game. It would be about on par for the previous and next seasons

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

being on the right side of of votes doesn't matter if people don't like or respect you

And if they do then it doesn’t matter either!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I can only reassure you that the season after that one is good. I have no other helpful words about ghost island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

The immunity idol in Australian Survivor looks like someone found an animal skull and glued some stones and sticks on it.

gonna be a fun season of killing and skinning rats to make fakes