Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Survivor airs Wednesday, February 20th on CBS! Check your local listings.

:siren: If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread. :siren:

If you get a better thread title sometime in the run, post it!

Someone bought :blindside: Thanks, Mysterious Poster! You rock!

"I took the flint!"
https://i.imgur.com/28YgW4D.mp4

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

What's the theme this time?

Get this poo poo. They brought back four players that audience members tend to like and then created the "Island of Extinction" where people who were voted out can rot for a little while with a chance to re-enter the game. That's right, they created a new Redemption Island for their returnees in a newbie season loving again. We never loving learn, do we?

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel used to keep the Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes but I guess they now have those on the CBS official website? I don't know. Just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you don't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”/

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Looks like Joe's team got switched at the last moment.

Pony: Kelley
Poison: Joe

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I read one of the Rob Cesternino ones and it was cringey how the writer found all the sexist jokes hilarious.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It did not.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

precision posted:

I would loving love if they did a "who can stay awake" challenge

They hate long challenges.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Last season was pretty solid, especially since you can point to nearly every cast member being memorable other than Jessica.

She's more memorable for her tweets prior to going out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd find it hard to rank my top 10 Survivor seasons. God I hate this show so much.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

I also watch 40 seasons of things I hate

You must be a Star Trek fan as well!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You're so serious.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It would produce maybe one good moment in the whole season (when someone acts over paranoid) and then someone from the biggest alliance will win the game in a unanimous vote.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You, troll, you.

Wentworth would have been a more inflaming poison choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kaoh Rong is a good season to block out.

Jason and Scott did their best to turn it into another World’s Apart level of ugly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wigglesworth was a Purple Kelly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You're forgetting Jennifer Lanzetti from Kaoh Rong.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Speaking of which

Robnoxious posted:

Pete continuing the stereotype about not knowing how to swim.

This is a real lovely thing to say.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Dennis System posted:

Everyone on the show constantly talks about how hot Joe is on every season he's been on. And he married Sierra...what the? I mean there's nothing wrong with Sierra, but people are making Joe out to be some sort of mega hot dude, and he marries Sierra? Weird imho.

:nallears:

We don't need this kind of poo poo here. gently caress off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

Is Julie Berry the only contestant to ever touch Jeff's butt?

Not by a long shot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:females:

Piece of poo poo. Wonder if Jessica Lewis on that podcast she does will get the loving hint. Not listening to it anymore though so let me know if it’s brought up.

STAC Goat posted:

Keith is a monster and got what he deserved.

You doing okay, STAC? We’re here for you, buddy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

How do you get so mad at a woman for using the word females.?

No difference between genders using the word in that context. Women, too, can use patriarchal slights to talk down to women.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

Female here. I say "female" because the word "woman" has always irked me for some reason. Female sounds better.

Tell me more about reinforcing the patriarchy though :allears:

Someone who calls men "men" and women "females" is reinforcing it whether you're personally okay with it or not. :nallears:

Here's a decent article on the subject and you can find many more with a "Women vs females" google search. I honestly think it's great you seem to be insulated from people who other women in this way as a symptom of their misogyny but it's not the reality for most.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 1, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I think we can both agree that some people would use "female" in this demeaning way.

Good. I think it's a good shorthand for finding terrible people. Not flawless though obviously.

Wardog doesn't seem the type to break the mold though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Which guy said they are like Parvati but the show vetoed it? James from Ghost Island?

I was surprised they let Aubry and David joke around on it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Elphiem posted:

Tribe swaps are loving stupid

:psyduck:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think the other tribe would have gotten anything in that scenario.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

PREEB ON SORB!!

I appreciate these weekly posts so I know when to stop reading.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally got the chance to watch this episode. Wendy is single-handedly saving this season.

SweetJahasus posted:

What the gently caress is with all this "I mean she's hot but she's not all that hot" bullshit going on? Who gives a gently caress how hot she is, that's not what this is about.

It’s just so ingrained in society that one of the roles that all women share, on top of everything else, is to be attractive.

How’s her game, also is she hot enough for you, personally?

It’s not even the first time misogynistic language has come up in this thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

Did anyone listen all the way through the Spencer recap on RHAP? I checked out when the son of two addicts was talking about doing mushrooms and ayuhuasca and poo poo.

I'm a half hour into it so far. He's talking about pain and depression associated with his dying father and they've gone back to talk about how Survivors come away from the show worse off, mentally. I wouldn't say it's a fun discussion or anything but it's much more interesting than "Doing mushrooms, bro!" that your post made me think it was going to be.

Edit: Further into it. He's mixing in "Docs can be quacks" and "PC CULTURE" and other little quirks. Trust your instincts.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 12, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rarity posted:

Trying to enforce your morality on other people is actually real lovely

Does this have anything to do with what I just said? Let me refresh you.

Zesty posted:

Wendy is single-handedly saving this season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A lot of people don't want to see where their meat comes from. Meeting the creature you could eat is not something many people are prepared to do. I once dated someone who could not eat any meat that still resembled a creature. Fish and seafood was completely off the table for that reason. I have sympathy for those who decide they couldn't possibly kill their own food and don't want that done around them. It's not rare and a lot of people are deluding themselves if they think there's some big unreasonable hypocrisy over it.

Having said that, she's been planning to do this since the pre-game. That's a fair reason to say she's being unreasonable. She's still the only valuable part of this season so far, though I'm glad Aubry is getting a protagonist edit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wait, how do you figure? She's coming across clumsy and tone-deaf.

But enough about your posting.

Go give the episode another watch. They were ALL ABOUT Aubry this episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mancalamania posted:

Something that always bug me when they swap into tiny tribes like this: what happens if you get down to a small enough group where everyone has an idol? It's not that crazy of a scenario: if the green tribe ended up being, say, Lauren/Aubry/David/Wardog/Rick, then they vote out Rick and Wardog in some order, and at some point David finds the green idol, then you are left with a 3-person tribe where everyone has an idol but there's still (presumably) one more round before the merge.

The answer is "What makes the best TV?"

No one gets voted out. They get several SHOCKED reaction shots during the next reward challenge. A few weeks down the line they do a double boot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What is it about Lauren that makes her staying worthwhile? She's done little other than being a shadow of Wentworth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"You know what would give us a lot of energy? A chicken."
https://i.imgur.com/teETrFl.mp4

"I think you just cut the head off and then you boil it, I think, and then the feathers come out easy."
https://i.imgur.com/j71yIkQ.mp4

"You don't think she took it to save her chicken?"
"No, that would be insane."
"That would be psychotic."

"I took the flint!"
https://i.imgur.com/28YgW4D.mp4

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 15, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think it's unreasonable at all to take the advantage where you can get it. The goal right now is to not lose immunity challenges.

If you're on Survivor, eat the chickens immediately. After the reward challenge but before the immunity challenge. You will never ever get eggs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I find his background and career paths to be impressive but his personality and gameplay are lacking.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wardog was the swing vote because he's was the most loosely attached.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
e. ignore this post.

Ignore all my posts forever. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All his promotional stuff had him listed as "Dan". I think "The Wardog" came at the start of the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

I think part of it for me is that I just do not understand why people are so enamored with Wendy, and Wardog, who I find genuinely entertaining, gets a lot of the backlash.

I don't think it's a mystery why you prefer Wardog at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Caleb was in Kaoh Rong, not BBB.

In the same challenge, Debbie also collapsed on the sidelines.