Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A reminder that players won't know EoE exists until the merge, so chances are pretty good Joe will stick around til probably the vote or two before the merge since challenge strength. Then 'better stop him before he goes on an immunity streak'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The coconut chop challenge is like the loved ones visit where sometimes the best move is not to win.

It's a bit of a shame that the challenges have become a lot more streamlined so we don't get the goofy fun challenges anymore like the mixer and 'answer a bunch of questions about the spooky story Probst made up'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Last season was pretty solid, especially since you can point to nearly every cast member being memorable other than Jessica.

It'd have to be seen how it holds up after recency bias fades, but I think it'll do pretty well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I loved the the objects on the shelf memory challenge from Worlds Apart where everyone was exhausted and brain dead.
:yeah:

Wasn't that the one that was blatantly thrown by Mike? Or was it another one?

precision posted:

I mean does Jeff really have to be there tho

Edit: last season was okay but definitely not top 5. My top 5 is composed of the 5 most hilariously insane seasons

I think a lot of whether or not you enjoyed watching DvG is how much you enjoy Angelina/Natalie/Christian. Angelina and Natalie are pretty polarizing, and while Christian is very charismatic, I know I found myself tuning out a bit whenever he started talking at Tribal Council because of how verbose his answers were.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean you basically run into the Zeke/David situation where both of them were itching to pull the trigger on the other.

Not that Zeke is actually any good as a player, mind.

The John ouster in DvG was basically perfect because just about everyone played as perfectly as you can expect, it's just that the minority splitting their vote is galaxy brain level risk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Coach was clearly TV casting but you've got Tocantins in your top 10, so it really comes down to different strokes for different folks.

There are a bunch of seasons where, despite liking the finale/winner, the midgame stuff just turned me off so much I don't really want to rewatch them (One World, Worlds Apart, Koah Rong). Tocantins is also veering around there because I couldn't stand Coach and Tyson. I mean knowing that the Jalapao three turned the tides made it better, but...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spokes posted:

I have very low hopes for this Extinction twist. I hope it isn't boring and lovely, but introducing it in the same season as bringing back players kind of grinds my gears. I think a returning player wins

The upside is that most people don't mind three of the four returnees. It's Joe that has most people rolling their eyes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think since they're more or less staying in Fiji permanently, they think they have to keep coming up with a new gimmick or theme every season because they can't just keep calling it 'Survivor: Fiji Again?!'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I gotta be honest, Aubry didn't make enough of an impression on me that I REALLY remember her. Like I know who she is and I know I'll call her Audrey a bunch but I don't really remember anything she did.

Her first time round in Koah Rong was alright. On paper, she's a decently strategic player that could appeal to people emotionally to flip. In practice, she flipped Tai (who's emotional anyway), and Cydney probably did most of the strategic weightlifting actually (at least as far as I remember). Plus Koah Rong is kind of a mess in terms of gameplay.

Her second time round, she was so invisible that Angela from Ghost Island probably had more relevance in her season.

I mean... she's alright, I guess. I'm not convinced she's a top tier player despite her showings. But I'm open to changing my mind.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well here's what I remember about Aubry's time on Koah Rong:

-Had a meltdown in the first episode but came back to win immunity for her tribe
-Waffled for an eternity in the final premerge TC before writing down Julia Peter's name
-Had an ally in Neal, who got medevaced with an idol in his pocket that he didn't give to Aubry, which she was annoyed about
-After finding out about the super idol, collaborated with Cydney to vote out Debbie as a sacrificial lamb
-Managed to appeal to Tai to flip and vote out Scot
-Aimed to take out Michele towards the end but had that plan foiled when she won immunity

And finally:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agreed, I liked the Final 3 of Koah Rong but until Scot was taken out, it was just... not great.

Scot/Jason were better when they were separated during the swap (and Jason seemed okay after Scot was gone), but together... bleh.

Honestly, it has probably the least competent male cast since One World.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jumble of thoughts from the premiere:

-Man, too many people, not enough screentime. Every premiere has this issue, but at least they didn't fill 45 minutes with nothing but the returness.
-Chris had a lot of challenge focus but was otherwise invisible. Not good considering his tribe went to tribal.
-David is doing the best of the returnees. Wentworth and Aubry the worst.
-I'm not even sure who to root for yet. I like Wentworth but I really don't think she's gonna last that long unless she gets swap blessed, she's got way too much attention on her. I like Chris but he has the opposite problem where we saw nothing to go off on. Wendy's adorable but oh man she's gonna have trouble. I guess David for now?
-I'm already putting Wardog as poison.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vernacular posted:

Yeah, really hard to get a read on most people at this point. Rick seems like he might be cool, and Ron seems like he might be really annoying, but we'll see.

I came in judging the twist pretty hard, but at least the way they shot that final scene was actually cool. I'm still skeptical, though. Maybe they can get some novelty mileage out of not telling the castaways about the gimmick until somebody comes back into the game.

The main problem with the RI shtick is that its too tempting to coalesce around voting out the players who come back into the game. I don't know how you protect against that. Maybe let more than one person back in at the same time? Or bring somebody back during one of the pre-merge tribeswaps when alliances aren't as clear?

I believe the idea is that one person gets in at merge (at which point everyone is given info on how the twist works), and then again towards the end of the game (I think day 36 or something?). Also, everyone that survives til the merge becomes a jury member.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I don't really hate any of Game Changers, HHH, and Ghost Island but that might be least favorite 3 season string in the series.

If you don't like South Pacific then Nicaragua, Redemption Island, South Pacific, and One World is a dire run.

South Pacific and Samoa are better on rewatches because you know that the 'villian' (Coach/Russell) loses.

Samoa might still be the most unbalanced season in terms of editing until Ghost Island, though. It was glaringly obvious after the second episode that Russell was gonna make it to the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that came to mind today is that this might be one of the most expensive seasons to produce. In a standard season, your film crew moves from having to monitor 18-20 people, to less and less as people are voted off, and they can focus on just one location after the merge. Here? You need a film crew on Extinction Island, possibly keeping track of everyone, even when the actual players are still at things like challenges or tribal council. You also need to have people ready to handle contestants that might want to pull out at any time, even during the night or when Probst is busy doing something else like reading out votes or bartering for rice.

Then you have a whole lot more footage to edit and compress, not just because there's a whole other island's worth of footage but all the people too who might be having conversations. And that takes time and manpower and trying to squeeze it into your already cramped 45 minute show. Plus you might have the biggest jury ever, which means even more footage during FTC.

You also lose media exposure, because you're no longer having contestants doing exit interviews every week.

So it's a lot more work for a product that your fanbase is already deriding.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AWarmBody posted:

No that's the rules. Last one left with a lit torch gets to touch Jeff's butt

Dawson would have destroyed everyone else if this concept was in Philippines.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The editing this week still feels a bit... slanted? Yellow is near invisible - who are half these people? Purple's a bit better since Chris got a bit more time to shine; I think Lauren, despite finding an idol, is now the least visible member of that tribe.

Still no swap next week, so I guess another purple (read: Wendy) is going home.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
True. It might just be spillover from the first episode where we didn't get to really hear from half the people.

I do agree that booting Keith was 100% the right move. The 'Big Kelley Move' isn't going to help you this early on. She's not exactly gonna make allies on the other tribe either since they all want returnees gone. If anything, it'll help give you a common target at the swap/merge to save your skin for a few days while you figure something out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a bit of fun in the RNG of 'which tribe is gonna get the majority on the new tribes?', and having more character interaction is always good, since that's how we got things like the Brochachos.

If they're not doing the swap at 18 into three tribes, it's either gonna be at 16 or 15, I wager. 17's a weird time to do it without exiling someone, and with EoE in play that might just clog up too much airtime.

In unrelated news, there was a buzz over some Survivor sites about the size of Chris' package, which I hadn't even noticed but I went back, rewatched the episode, and dude is seriously packing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, I'm assuming the lackluster spices vs. fishing kit option was blatantly there to encourage Ron to steal the fishing kit if they'd lost, in which case the other tribe would have gotten spices.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I still think David/Rick made the wrong call. Sure, they kept options with Wardog/Kelley/Lauren open... but they had a solid 4-3! Chris is already someone that's willing to work with them. They were already leery of working with Wardog, they don't trust Wentworth, and Lauren's pretty tied to her.

Keeping a rock solid ally, or keep good relations with two others that might turn on you anyway? We saw how fast Wardog/Wentworth turned on Chris, they could easily turn on David/Rick too. I wouldn't trust Wardog and Lauren to 100% have my back if I was stuck post-swap on them in the minority.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, like Wendy is quickly approaching 'I don't care how entertaining you are, if I was stuck with you on an island, taking away fire or food will get you on my bad side very quickly' levels for me, but the Cool Kids vibe from the others is also pretty apparent.

I wonder what would happen if three/four returnees end up on the same tribe next week. Do they overwhelm the newbies, or just collapse into infighting? I'd take out the newbies myself since you can always find people to take out other returnees.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Aubry, David, and Wentworth seem like they could combust really easy. Joe would probably go with the flow and I imagine if its him and Aubry with one of David or Wentworth it could maybe work. But if David finds himself on a tribe of 5 with Wentworth, Aubry/Joe, and 2 newbs it seems like his opportunity to take her out. Unless the newbs are Wardog and Lauren.

Aubry and Joe would probably align with the other returnees, I think they recognize that the returnees need to stick together. David would probably aim to take out the others since he can blend in with the newbies much easier. It's hard to tell with Wentworth, I think she's fine with any vote as long as it's not her, and we've already seen her with a vendetta against people who're aiming at her (Wendy and Chris).

Hmm, it'd depend on what the challenge was, but unless a returnee or maybe Eric/Gavin gets voted out before the merge, I don't see anyone beating Chris to get back in the game right now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can understand the move in a 'if we get Wardog on board, then that's one less person we're blindsiding'. Chris just underestimated how close Wardog was to Wentworth, and also he made the error of making the move sound like he was his idea. He should have totally thrown David/Rick under the bus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, the real head scratcher is why Wardog kept Chris over Wendy. Chris is still a good shield, and even if you burn his loyalty slightly by voting out Wendy instead of Wentworth, he's far more likely to work with Wardog again then Wendy will.

And, y'know, you might have a chicken to eat tomorrow.

It's possible that Wentworth went scorched earth on Chris after Wardog told her, I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AWarmBody posted:

Yeah, I hate Wardog because of that name. He probably chose the name for himself, too. I just now tried to imagine him with a normal name like Jerry and it was a little better.

Also I think I might be the minority goon in this thread who doesn't like Wendy. I will absolutely love to see the chaos she brings next episode, though!

I was down on Wendy the moment she started taking the flint (and judging from the preview for next week, she's about to sink even lower in my eyes). You don't mess with people's survival.

Apparently according to social media she's been a vegetarian for a few months now, so good for her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I kiiinda feel bad for David/Rick because they're stuck between a bullying majority and a quirky self-sabotaging minority. But at the same time they're not doing anything to help ease tension around camp (like talking to Wendy and making sure she's not going to do anything stupid, or telling the others to lay off a bit).

Manu is the most high-school tribe I've seen in a long while. Cool Kids, Geeks, and People Just Trying To Make It To The End of the Year.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe the edit was downplaying the amount of whining Wendy was doing (as we saw with the chickens, she moans, a lot), but David was sympathetic at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You're going to have to spell out the difference between Nerds and Outcasts. Unless you can cast 6 Davies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Rick actually asked Jeff to call him by his full name (Rick Devens) but Jeff told him he only gets one. Hence why Jeff calls him Devens. Except, uh, that doesn't extend to his tribe, who just keep calling him Rick. So... that kinda fell on its face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On 18-player seasons they swap at 15 and usually merge at 13 (but who knows how EoE will shake it up), so there's usually not a chance for such a scenario to play out.

It'd be hilarious if Lesu loses again, but I feel like I need one of the no-namers on the old Kama to bite it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's potential in Lauren I think; she's starry-eyed over Wentworth but knows that it's an individual game, so she hasn't told her about the idol. And it takes guts to hold onto an idol during a 5-man TC when you know you're one of the names being thrown about.

She will likely have to cut Wentworth at some point, but I don't see her needing to do that for a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For me, I think Wendy is a dangerous ally because she very much marches to the beat of her own drum.

I imagine a standard conversation might go:

"Hey Wendy, I'm thinking of voting out Aurora tonight."
"No way, I like Aurora! Let's vote Victoria."
"...Wendy, we know Victoria has an idol. Aurora is the only safe move."
"I don't care! I like her better so I'm not voting her yet."

At first I thought it was dogged loyalty like to Reem, but it might just be 'she only does what she wants', like with the chickens, and if she doesn't like the move, she won't swallow her pride and play along.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh man, the startling realization that Wendy is Shambo 2.0.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't like either Wardog or Wendy, so...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My only worry with the current trend is that even if both boots tonight are OG Kama, we'll go into merge not really knowing who half these people are.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Dennis System posted:

Wow, Wardog can not throw, lol.

I can't believe that on a tribe with someone who's sobbing and thinking about food everyday, and David 'Puzzles 4, Me 0' Wright, that Wentworth and a dude who looks to be in decent shape are battling to be the worst competitor.

There's a bunch to unpack from the double episode but man, I'm ready to be done with both Keith and Reem I mean, Reem is testy and irritable, so I'll cut her some slack, but Keith, dude, these people are going to make your life hell and you really think you beat Chris and/or Aubry at any challenge?

Heck, if I was Keith, I'd actually sandbag Aubry. If you sandbag Chris and he loses, you really think you're getting any fish, especially after you bolted into 'anyone but me' mentality?

The flaws in Wardog's game are becoming more visible, at least. If Lesu had gone to tribal normally it would be interesting to see the old school mentality (contribute to camp) beat out a new school supergamer, but alas.

Well, if Aubry doesn't win the challenge, then Kama is going into the merge with a... 8-5 advantage? That's actually not insurmountable if the Manus stick together, as long as they get back Chris or Rick. Heck, even Aubry would be willing to jump ship, and she could swing Joe. That'd make it a 7-6 advantage Manu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vernacular posted:

I think the producers were banking on the strength of Manu's women balancing out the strength of Kama's men. Hindsight is 20/20, but obviously it's not so shocking that Joe/fireman/YMCA guy/badass med student have been dunking all over a team made up of David Wright/guy who can't swim/dadbod newscaster/Tony Vlachos-looking dude who actually can't do anything.

Even if their collegiate athlete didn't end up withering away on camera, their team was still riddled with weak links while Kama didn't really have any.

Manu also had Reem, so I don't think it was an even split either way. And it's not like Kama didn't have women in shape either; Aurora and Julia seem like they're pulling their weight.

Manu had... Chris. I mean Wardog probably fooled them from his appearance.

Aerox posted:

The tribe swap sucked, but I don't think the tribes would have been anywhere near as uneven physically if they hadn't voted off Reem and Chris so early. Keith clearly couldn't swim in the first challenge, then they kept him around to let him fail at swimming in the second challenge, and then after losing two people they voted off the strongest person on their tribe, and then seem really taken aback they can't win a challenge now.

It's been lovely for the tribe but hopefully a wakeup call to future season's players about how important the first half of the game still is.

Chris was right before the swap though, so can't really do anything about their post-swap performance. He'd still have been better if he replaced anyone on Lesu, but hindsight.

Not booting Keith immediately wasn't great either, but it's understandable why Reem was first boot too. Early bad impressions just set you apart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the other thing is that Kama doesn’t have as many weak links other than maybe Ron and Julie, but they’re not nearly as terrible as Keith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

you really think the EoE returnee is going to work with the people that voted them out?

Depends on who it is. Rick would probably fall back in with David and the Lesus. Reem and Keith? Heck no. I really don't know about Wendy and Chris though.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the EoE returnee got immunity for the first merge TC.