Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I remember kind of recently in Cambodia they had that kind of challenge. It was fun. They had to run to different stations and pick an answer to a question. Fishbach picked a wrong answer and Abi Maria copied him then he was like "whoops" and changed his answer and went on to win the reward

I feel like this undersells things a bit. You had to run to each station, read a question, look at closed urns representing different answers, pick a scroll out of the correct urn, then carry it back to the start and spend several seconds untying and unraveling it to see if it was right. Abi thought she was being real smart when got to the station Fishbach was already at, stealthily waited for him to lift the lid off an urn, and then stole the scroll out from under him and ran off without even reading the question. Of course, Fishbach then immediately realized he had picked the wrong one, found the correct answer, and ran back to start. As a result, they both unraveled their scrolls at about the same time, and Abi found out she had the wrong answer like a second before Fishbach won. It was such a perfect moment that both I and Abi Maria thought he faked her out on purpose, but to my disappointment, he maintains to this day that it genuinely was an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is not always love between me and Survivor, but there is always fascination, at least.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The funny thing is, they did that juror removal twist because they had an extra day but didn't want to do a final 2. But if they had just done a final 2, Aubry would've been voted out normally and the whole controversy around that season would've been moot. Michelle beats Tai in the final 2, the jury goes all revisionist history when they see how much Aubry is beloved by the general public and they swear up and down she would've won if she had made it there, and we all move on with our lives blissfully unaware of how stupid the season might have turned out in an alternate timeline.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't think I have ever hated anything more than I hated that Big Bang Theory commercial just now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Apparently there was a great moment on the boat that didn't make the show.

Wardog introduced himself as "The Wardog."

Rick gets called on next to identify himself, and says "this is awkward, but my name is also 'The Wardog.'"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

also the immunity idol looked dope as hell

Did they import that from Survivor: China?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

David will snake his way through like he always does.

In the preseason, even the people who like him and know him personally were like "yeah, if these people are smart, they will vote him out right away." Apparently, they aren't that smart. :hmmyes:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not sure how okay the show's medical and legal teams would be with giving them absolutely nothing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I know the show has an Absolute Bare Minimum that the medical team recommends they give them per day, but I also know that the show has dropped below that sometimes at Probst's insistence. But when castaways come to him begging for food, he's never told them to go gently caress themselves, so... :shrug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

Everyone on the show constantly talks about how hot Joe is on every season he's been on. And he married Sierra...what the? I mean there's nothing wrong with Sierra, but people are making Joe out to be some sort of mega hot dude, and he marries Sierra? Weird imho.

I think providing for your every need in a survival situation automatically adds two points to a person's relative hotness.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really don't like how literally all the drama is centered around whether or not to get rid of the returnees.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Just once I want someone to say their favorite player was Chris Daugherty or Sandra instead of it always being Parvati or Russell or whoever won the previous season.

The show actually vetoes picks they think are too obscure. You're basically only allowed to pick from either Survivor icons or people who have played very recently.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
DAVID: We're voting out Wentworth, okay? Don't tell Wardog!

CHRIS: Sure thing, boss! :v:

CHRIS: *immediately tells Wardog*

DAVID: :commissar:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
David is a relatively straightforward player; he either trusts you or he doesn't, and if he doesn't trust you, he wants you gone. He knows at this point that he doesn't trust Wentworth. But he didn't realize until this episode that he couldn't trust Chris, that Chris has allies he values above and beyond David, and for David, that's no good. If you aren't going to do what he tells you, you're useless to him. So rather than lay all his cards on the table and split the tribe before a swap, he decided to go with the flow and vote out the idiot who somehow managed to piss his side and the Wentworth camp off, maintaining some semblance of unity.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Unfortunately, poo poo like that is part and parcel of Survivor gameplay. One of the surest ways to bond a group of people together is to find a clearly defined Other for them to rag on. To create an Us, you must also create a Them, and the more clearly you draw and reinforce the line between the two, the less likely anyone is to cross it. If we have people treating Wendy as a decent human, they might actually consider not getting rid of her, or even working with her, and we can't have that. So Wendy is automatically The Worst and everything she does is taken as reinforcement of that fact. She's not limping because she's hurt, she's limping because she's a melodramatic attention seeker who knows she's about to get voted out and wants everyone to feel sorry for her. She's not a person with a hurt ankle, she's a faker, therefore we don't actually have to feel any remorse for how we are treating her and are Good and Right to be doing exactly what we are doing. That's probably how they justified what they were doing to themselves, consciously or otherwise.

It's ugly, but it works. Redemption Island Boston Rob is proof enough of that. That's why David isn't stopping it, even though he disagrees with it. Plus, this particular instance isn't even in the top ten ugliest things I've seen on Survivor. It's possible Wendy didn't even know this was happening until last night. It's lovely, but not unforgivably so.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, psychedelics are not physically addictive, so if he's gonna try some :okpos:, there's worse places he could go. They could be psychologically addictive, but so could, like, anything, so :shrug:. Dude's personal life sounds a bit of a poo poo show these days, so I don't begrudge him looking for peace in weird places given that he can't seem to find it anywhere else. I hope he finds some, because as fun as it was seeing him go ham on every social media platform known to man, it's a lot less fun when you know it's basically someone having a low-key public mental breakdown. Like you said, it's not exactly the Survivor podcast I was looking for, but it's the kind of thing I can listen to at 2x speed because I want to at least be exposed to it, even if I don't want to dwell on it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

You know, I like him best by far among the four. He actually seems to have gotten over his anxiety and he's doing a great job so far.

:agreed:

I was worried about which David we'd get. If we got Day 1 David, then we were in for either an embarrassingly short stay or a total retread of his MvGX storyline. Fortunately, it seems like Day 1 David is well and truly gone, and Day 38 David is here to stay, beard and all, which is great. I'll take a sequel over a reboot pretty much any day.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the Survivor Gods really don't want this season to have any new interesting dynamics, do they? That swap was some bullshit. Manu is now so isolated from the rest of the game that their only hope is that Kama being split in two will actually cause them to turn against each other. They can't make any relationships or inroads with the majority tribe, so they have no choice but to cross their fingers and hope they screw up.

Fortunately, there is a decent history of majority tribes doing just that in a situation like this where they enter the merge with a huge lead. Tandang and Timbira from Philippines and Tocantins come to mind. In most situations with true pagongings, the tribes merged even or with a 1-2 person difference, making the majority tribe feel like they had to stick together to defeat a legitimately threatening enemy. But if the numbers are, say, 9-4, the minority seems like no threat at all, and the tribe's attention can turn to resolving long simmering internal tensions. (It helps if the majority kind of hates each other, like the above two examples.)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Lol at everyone who judges someone to be a "terrible person" based on minutes worth of footage from a heavily edited reality TV show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh, boy! This twist again! Because it was such a hit the first time.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
David actually got really into fitness when he got back from his season, running Iron Mans and poo poo. Unfortunately, there's only so much progress you can make as a 40 year old life-long twig person. He's leagues better than he was, but he's never going to hold a candle to young fitness models.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just love the poetry of Wendy being voted out unanimously by every single person still in the game who has had to endure her even though they were spread across two different tribes. That kind of serendipity is just :discourse:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Survivor is an interesting tightrope walk from a production standpoint. You want them to have it rough, but if they have it too rough, they won't do the crazy stuff that makes good TV because they just won't have the energy. The endgame of the second season is pretty much a textbook example of this; nobody was doing anything and everyone was miserable because they were all legitimately starving to death.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I've never seen confirmation of sunscreen but they must get it. They'd be destroyed otherwise.

In season 26, Cochran gets really bad sunburn on the first day. I think he later explained it as him and the other returnees having to do that opening challenge before they went to base camp or checked in at Ponderosa at all (to hide them from the newbies), so none of them got to put on sunscreen, and since he burns easier than most anyway... :shrug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

blue squares posted:

No his nose was already like that

Yeah but his feet weren't.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I mean, Rick and David did in fact spend the entire pre-merge unsuccessfully cooking up Wile E. Coyote schemes to get rid of her.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Fun fact: if you look at the tribe flag, you will see that it has the initials of every contestant who made the merge.

Including a W. For Wardog. :dukedoge:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zesty posted:

Is this the first season after Lynne Spillman got the boot? They might not have been confident in their ability to get good newbies and used returnees as a way to soften it.

My understanding is that this is the last one before she was fired, and I guess we'll know if she was fired for cause based on how the rest of the season goes. :sweatdrop:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

garthoneeye posted:

As a side note, why do people in the majority feel the need to root for their alliance members at Immunity challenges?

I chalk it up to basic human tribal instinct. I am part of a group. My group is powerful and will keep me safe. My group needs to know that I am one of them and that I am more one of them than others, so I will loudly shout to reinforce my group identity.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah. "I don't feel comfortable going to rocks for the people who voted me out" is fine. "SCREW you guys, I would NEVER vote with you again EVER even if you were the LAST SURVIVOR CONTESTANTS ON EARTH" is bad gameplay no matter how you slice it. Showing people you plan on voting out that you are acting emotionally and seeking vengeance and retribution against people who wronged you... kinda clears them to do the same to you should you make it to the final three. Vengeance is a vicious cycle, and at best, it ends with you getting zero jury votes, not even a pity vote from David.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has 'I'll make a deal with you mid-challenge' ever worked out for the person?

Didn't work for Fairplay, didn't work for Siska, didn't work for Yau-Man...

Vecepia. She's the reason it started; she told Neleh "I'll drop out if you swear you'll take me to final two," was taken to the final two, and won the game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Glorious. loving delectable. Just :discourse:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My guess is that it got exposed at some point so they just decided to get rid of it.

EDIT: Holy gently caress, that tribal was so chaotic that apparently Ron suggested they vote out Victoria at one point, not realizing that Victoria was literally right next to him.

https://twitter.com/mrronclark_/status/1116145577954353154?s=09

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 11, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's possible. I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing. The hardest I've ever laughed at Survivor was in Philippines when Carter looked at Penner and said "so... should we vote Katie, or Penner?" while the famous baseball dude bug-eyes in panic behind him, and Penner, completely deadpan and without missing a beat, goes "well, I'd hate to lose Katie."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

mancalamania posted:

That was cool but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out why there was no Reward Challenge. I had assumed there was one that got cut for time, but Victoria tweeted there was no Reward. In 38 seasons of the show has there ever been a post-merge episode without a reward challenge (besides the obvious situations like double-boot episodes, the finale, or the Redemption Island seasons with no Reward Challenges)? They break the formula for the first time in almost 20 years and they just happened to get one of the craziest Tribals ever the same episode??

Apparently this was also the very next day after last week's tribal. They didn't have time for two challenges and for everyone to strategize. Do they ever do two challenges in one day?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I always love Survivor, even when I hate it. Especially when I hate it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'll bet we have 18 winners who would come back, especially if CBS is willing to break out the checkbook and raise the ground floor, the question is, do we have 18 entertaining winners? Like Probst said, it's kinda unfortunate, but the nature of Survivor as a game often favors winners who are a little... shall we say... milquetoast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

garthoneeye posted:

He gives an interview in 20 where he states or implies he didn’t win 19 because the jury was full of people who don’t care about the game, but this time he’ll win because the previous players will respect him for being an unlikable troll man.

It's possible he gave two different versions of that interview in the case he did/didn't win, it's not unheard of for producers to ask for that sort of thing. He played those seasons back to back, so the winner of 19 had not technically been revealed yet, but if you watch the actual live finales for both seasons, you'll notice he is a lot more bothered by his loss in 19 than he is in 20, and the popular story is that he really thought he had won 19 and that maybe he had won 20, but when Natalie was crowned, he realized the 19 jury hated him and knew for a fact the 20 jury hated him even more, so he essentially found out he lost both seasons in one night. In 20, he actually seems like he might be a little drunk through the whole thing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
That was kinda lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If Rick doesn't win the season then the editors have done a terrible job because I don't feel like I actually know anyone else in the game at this point.