Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope they at least scale the re-entry time back to something like F8 or 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah in my heart I know it’ll be the same late game addition.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like Tyson as an entertaining player but he really waltzed his way to victory in Blood vs. Water.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Khanstant posted:

As seasons go on, tribal has gotten and more and more direct with Jeff basically calling out exactly the story or narrative they're building even or especially when it blows someone's game up a lil. I also sometimes wonder what else production gives away just in the matter of doing their work. Sometimes I think good idol hunters can kind of wander around and play hot and cold with the camera guys nonverbally, or maybe spot when the camera lingers somewhere an idol might be. Like, even without intention, if your job is to get useable footage for the episode, you can definitely do that if you're filming an idol find.

Here's a funny story from the Funny115 that Eliza wrote about regarding the camera people when she went to look at the fake stick idol for the first time:

Eliza posted:

"The funniest thing about the whole stick incident was what happened when I was going to get it out of the bag. When you saw it on TV, what you saw was me walking to the cave, and Jason walking down to the beach. It looked like it was happening simultaneously. But what you didn't see on TV were all the camera men following me. The minute I started walking over to the bag, the minute they realized I was going to get my first look at the "idol", there was this mass scramble as the entire camera crew came running over to follow me. And this was so weird because you -never- see that when you are playing Survivor. You -never- see the camera men run. It never happens. Ever.

So here I am walking over to the bag, and practically the entire camera crew comes running down the beach after me. And when I saw them coming, I just stopped. I looked at them kind of funny, and I asked, is this for me? Yes, they nodded. But I'm just going to the shelter, I said. They didn't say a word. I didn't learn until later that the producers had told them to do this.

Apparently the producers had warned the camera crew that if they didn't get the footage of me going to the bag and discovering the "idol" for the first time, if they didn't get my reaction to seeing a stick with a face on it on film, they were all going to be fired. Every single one of them. So when I finally went over to look in the bag, they all panicked and started running after me. I just thought you would think that was funny."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, there is no harm whatsoever in attempting to use an idol you are fairly certain is fake, since all that happens is it gets thrown in the fire if that turns out to be true. It would be interesting if they implemented some sort of penalty for using a fake idol, maybe.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess you can kinda look silly in front of the jury by doing so, depending.

I can't remember if we've seen people try to play fake idols for other people though.

Has anyone that's actually been fake-idoled made it final tribal though? Most of the time it's done to stop someone from continuing to look for the real idol, though in the last two seasons it's also been done to straight up humiliate someone on their way out for no reason, which has been a detriment to the person that made the fake idol.

Nick in DvG made a cool move where he played his own fake idol for himself to guage the reactions from everyone else at tribal to determine if he should play his real one. That was an actual interesting use that didn't exactly work out but it ended up not mattering that much for him.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A LOT of survivor alums assumed it was true, don’t beat yourself up too much.