Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

Pony: Kelley
Poison: Joe

This. And for newbies:

Pony: Gavin
Poison: Victoria

Also, Wentworth's bikini color against her skin tone is making my brain hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Glad you enjoyed! It's fun to poke around on there sometimes and get nostalgic. The same guy (Mario Lanza) writes both the Funny 115 entries and the fan fiction. I think he kind of lost his way with the second version (really, REALLY needed an editor) but it's a great nostalgia trip. Also a great source for screencaps.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It depends on the context for me. Some sexist jokes are funny, but they have to be good-natured and actually funny. I recall that season being really petulant and mean though, especially early on.

You're talking about Rodger? He's the one I remember being particularly gross.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

clown shoes posted:

I didn't watch last season. Did I miss anything good?

no

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm happy enough to go with best in years. That's not saying much.

Top five overall? No way.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

seriously? like top 5 might be a stretch for me personally, but it's a bit silly to say they didn't miss anything good. i mean it's fine if you didn't like it, but it's clear most other people did so that response seems, i dunno, disingenuous?

It was mostly a joke, sorry.

I guess I really liked most of the cast but not the gameplay. I found myself pulling my hair a lot of the time. Again, I think part of what makes it look so good is the crud we've gotten used to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Khanstant posted:

FWIW, I'm still working through the old seasons and haven't gotten to this current era stuck in the same island yet and I thought DvG was good without knowing what kind of crud I'll eventually get used to.

Thanks for the perspective :3:

For the record, I'm the sort of viewer who hates "team TV" casting. So, Angelina remaining on my TV for the entire season very severely marred the season for me. You will notice a pointed lack of Russell Hantz in the following-

For shits and giggles, my tops, in chronological order:

7 - Pearl Islands
12 - Panama/Exile Island
13 - Cook Islands
15 - China
16 - Micronesia/Fans v Favorites
18 - Tocantins
28 - Cagayan
31 - Cambodia/Second Chances
33 - Millennials v Gen-X

Only because premiere is Wednesday, at which point this whole conversation will be moot!!!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What I mean is the sort of person who was put there to be a character more than a player. I will grant that Angelina played hard, but she was also terrible and that's why and how she made it to the end, ultimately. I did not find her antics entertaining, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with that. They need to sell some primetime ads geared towards 18-35 year olds, and that's how they're still on the air. Understanding this, I don't exactly appreciate it.

Weren't we just having this conversation about Special Agent Sheppard? And I came on his side as a human outside of the show, but ON the show he was miserable and I hated my brain having to deal with him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hated Coach at the time! Upon rewatch, his boot episode is a thing of beauty. With the exception of Panama, I really value dynamic gameplay. I love moving pieces and actual blindsides. Tocantins has that. The one minus in my mind was that the cross-tribe exile alliance went nowhere. But that barely matters due to how everything else panned out.

For Panama I adore Cirie, but post-swap Casaya was an incredible clown show and at that point if you don't love it.....

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's a bit of an abusive relationship. It delights me just barely enough to keep me hanging on.

:sigh:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

It would produce maybe one good moment in the whole season (when someone acts over paranoid) and then someone from the biggest alliance will win the game in a unanimous vote.

Nobody knows what might have happened in Palau if it hadn't been Palau.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She kind of held down the alliance of sane and stable people and made decent game decisions. She stood out mostly for being Team Not-Scot Pollard.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The way he talked about Haley was pretty weird so I wouldn't rule her out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, this thread is rightfully up and down on Rob Cesternino's podcast, but I was just looking through the recent episodes and his show for feedback to the premiere features ARISA COX as a guest.

For the unaware, Arisa is/was host of Big Brother Canada, and she is a loving boss. I'm actually a bit excited to listen to this, despite not loving the podcast anymore, despite not-even-liking the premiere, just because Arisa is so good.

E: skip to about 4 minutes in to get past the ads and shameless self-promotion. Blerg.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 28, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Call me Mr Grumpypants, but I'm really not digging this so far.

Fucktards, you get an opportunity to take Wentworth YOU TAKE IT.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

:females:

Piece of poo poo. Wonder if Jessica Lewis on that podcast she does will get the loving hint. Not listening to it anymore though so let me know if it’s brought up.

Whoa, dude.

Two bad episodes so far, but holy hell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

No difference between genders using the word in that context. Women, too, can use patriarchal slights to talk down to women.

Female here. I say "female" because the word "woman" has always irked me for some reason. Female sounds better.

Tell me more about reinforcing the patriarchy though :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That article was a decent read, but I take issue with prescriptivism, ESPECIALLY with regards to English. What makes English one of the most beautiful languages is its malleability. Your linked article presumes meaning and intention where there isn't necessarily any at all. I think we can both agree that some people would use "female" in this demeaning way. I do not, however, think that a simple biological term is one to be "reclaimed." THAT, is an insult.

Everybody gets othered. Even privileged white cis males. Tumblr others the gently caress out of them. I'm not particularly interested in any of this. I just bristle at being called woman, and I further bristle that anybody would take some kind of offense to this.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't have a strong enough impression yet. I also don't like making assumptions about his past and inclinations but that's just me. Along with some others in here, I detest the undue attention given to the returning players, additional to the myriad other format problems this season.

As far as I know, wardog is the bald guy and probably has a military background. That's it so far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Token Female posted:

Like I know the vibe of the yellow tribe, but I couldn't tell you more than two names of anyone there.

Kelley and David.

I do weddings AND Bar Mitzvahs :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

fuckin lol at Victoria talking mad poo poo about Joe 10 feet away from the him

She got a good edit last week but she's my poison (as is Joe for the vets) so this pleases me.

E: yes water jackass is on extinction

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
lmfao I think I love Wendy

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
GO DAVID GO

PLEASE

(I love wentworth but my soul needs this to happen)

(....so it will not)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Waiting on preview, but I wonder if Kelley loses her marbles or engages in an epic season of revenge.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
As a female who likes dudes sexually, I really need to know:

Is it just me and my poor taste, or is Wendy's not the single best swimsuit in those OP cast photos?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey now, Yellow tribe got some airtime this week.

I would not be shocked if Vic thinks she's at the top of that 6, but Joe knows now, and then next week they swap. Could be that they gave her screentime because she falls hard next week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

A Typical Goon posted:

They might have just given her screen time because that pan to Joe looking all :D was hilarious

She got a lot last week too. I think it was mocking Aubry's "HAY GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK OF VETS" thing.

xbilkis posted:

Not really sure what David/Rick are thinking here. "We could vote out Kelley, or we could vote out an ally so...Kelley doesn't know we're coming for her when we try to vote her out LATER...?"

nah, I get it. If he tells the target immediately after they tell him, he's not trustworthy and does need to go with higher priority than the threat-in-theory.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

David is a lot less interesting this time around. He's not bad, but I really liked him in his first season and now he's pretty average.

Hard disagree. Last time was watching him get over himself, but this time everything from him has been smart as hell. I hate these mixed-bag seasons but as of now he's my best returner by far.

clown shoes posted:

A cool twist would be if the people on Extinction Isle were included in the tribe swap.

I think I saw somewhere--maybe even here--that one person gets in at merge, the rest go buh-bye, same deal for finale episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

"Mark my words. If you're a vegetarian outside this game I will be your friend. But the minute I find out you had one piece of meat in your belly, don't talk to me again. She's off her rocker."
- A guy who calls himself Wardog

To be fair I'd feel quite like that if here's these chickens, and here's this cripple outsider tribeperson whinging about it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If he was very good at this he wouldn't have spilled the beans regarding a powerful pre-merge vote in the first place, never minding how he may have spun it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
E: nm

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know, I like him best by far among the four. He actually seems to have gotten over his anxiety and he's doing a great job so far.

I do love the Young Lad, and that podcast sounds like a must-listen for all the wrong reasons. I hope he's okay.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Probst just has a crush on Joe's archetype and I think we all know that. Being said, I think maybe we'd all have preferred Malcolm after that Game Changers bullshit.

Aubry, I do not understand, at all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think this season was awful casting for her, but reducing Wentworth to "hot babe" is an awful misservice.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

But that's why she was cast, probably -- the original rumor was 4 tribes, Jocks/Hot/Nerds/Outcasts

So, I buy that hook line and sinker.

What the actual crap though? That's almost as bad as Survivor: Race Wars.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

I'm glad Aubry is getting a protagonist edit.

Wait, how do you figure? She's coming across clumsy and tone-deaf.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

But enough about your posting.

Go give the episode another watch. They were ALL ABOUT Aubry this episode.

Cool.

She found an idol. She's also in a 7-3 minority, and you don't give episode 2's edit to a hero. They saw what happened last time they tried giving her a growth arc.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Malcolm, also. And Tom Westman gets both names.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had an hour-long argument about fish not being meat with a religious professional once and it broke my brain.

But,

graventy posted:

I have a cousin who, for his entire childhood, wouldn't eat meat that shared the name of the animal it came from. So, chicken was out, beef ok, fish out, etc.

I'm assuming you spoke English at home? Because that's even dumber. Our food words are from French for propriety, and the animal words are from German out of filth. This is also how English swear words work (compare "sex" with "gently caress").

(Chicken is poultry and cow is beef, but hey, kids are stupid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair I had a hard time leaving home at 17 and they cast younger and younger, but also mind they cast for drama, Team TV and such.