Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Reem and Wendy both rule, I can't part with either of them yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Getting solo marooned Reem footage might be even better than if she stayed in the game...I accept this outcome

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That Aubry scene was one of my favorite bits on the show in a while. I wish the editors would do more fun stuff like that more often

Very cool that day four of Survivor has become extended scenes of random idol hunting

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2019

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Not sure why they bothered bringing back tribal rewards. Feels like a waste of airtime

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Bloop posted:

Because it's good and fun to watch, presumed gamebot

Watching a bunch of people complete the same general type of obstacle course for the 1000000th time is generally not as entertaining as showcasing the contestants, most of whom remain largely anonymous 2 episodes into the season

Especially considering time is already dedicated to the EDGE OF EXTINCTION

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Not really sure what David/Rick are thinking here. "We could vote out Kelley, or we could vote out an ally so...Kelley doesn't know we're coming for her when we try to vote her out LATER...?"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That episode ruled. Wendy owns. Ron punking Joe owned, and I loved the "20 minutes earlier" reveal.

And, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Wardog kind of owns? I am increasingly won over by his combination of "much more thoughtful than you would expect from a man who calls himself Wardog" and "still fundamentally as ridiculous as you'd expect of a man who calls himself Wardog." His thoughtful face as he was hearing everyone's pitches was really doing it for me, and then he followed it up by saying "I'm going to need 15 minutes of Wardog time."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah the tribal was super cheesy, but I was willing to go along with the ride because I was interested in seeing how the tribal division actually played out.

I am becoming increasingly resentful of players who are intent on declaring a tribal council/vote/season as ~noteworthy~ for whatever reason, because it feels like they're knowingly playing to the cameras/trying to amplify the importance of their story. I'm probably reading too much into it but whatever

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Big Wendy is too pure for this cursed game

I hope people band together against the returnees at the merge. David and Joe are not interesting enough to warrant a repeat season, particularly when it's not a full All-Stars and they're crowding out new people for airtime by default

Also I appreciate that Keith is one of the most thoroughly lovely characters that's been on this show in a long time, but in a light fun "Jesus Christ this dude sucks impossibly bad" sort of way and not a "Hmm this person is morally repugnant and should not have been put on television" sort of way. The two Edge of Extinction scenes in this episode pushed him over the top for me and now I'm eager to see what other rear end in a top hat moves he can manage to pull off

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 21, 2019

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think the Kama people were stupid to vote Joe out. He's ostensibly "with them," but they already showed him scheming with Wentworth and I think he's got much more reason to be loyal to The Returnees than the tribe that already showed they're willing to burn returnees the first chance you get. Also, people kind of mock the idea of Joe winning all the tribal immunities, but if you watched the tribal immunities first-hand...would you really rule it out?

Re: Kelley, I assume she thought her bridges were already burned with David/Rick and that it was better to try to buy time for the majority alliance to crumble. I can see how it'd seem easier to try to cockroach along waiting for an opening than it would be to assemble a group to immediately take out the eight-person majority tribe, especially when the latter scenario demands working with one dude you betrayed and another you already voted out.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Kelley was going to be a potential target no matter what, as a returnee and a member of the minority tribe.

At that point, pivoting to "anybody but me" is a perfectly valid strategy, given a dude she just voted out had reentered the game. Rick could have very easily had the same "anybody but me" strategy and swung to Kama to avoid going right back out.

Do you really think Rick and David would have scrambled to save Kelley if the majority approached them right after the merge feast and told them they're safe, but she's the first boot? Given the recent history of the game, I think it's a totally understandable play to assume there's not going to be a straight-up Pagonging and to shift into self-preservation mode if you're in a bad spot at the merge.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
These people just can’t be expected to keep up with the intellect of a Wardog type. No shame in that

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

auction hasn't been good for like the past dozen seasons.

only time it's got close was when Mike Holloway almost didn't take the $10 loved ones letters so he could MAX BUY the advantage, but then chickened out last minute.

The auction used to be a reliable source of entertainment, and then they started introducing game advantages and it became a lovely recurring extended scene of someone narrating about how All That Food Was Tempting But I'm Focused On Winning This Game So I Saved All My Money And Got That Advantage

Beyond just being a silly good time, the good thing about the auction (and pecking order challenges, and picking people to go on rewards) is that it can insert a level of human emotion into the strategy that isn't overtly based on pure game dynamics. It's fun when someone decides to flip on someone based on petty bullshit, or when someone has to try to manage the fallout of a reward result to keep their game in tact.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wardog loving owns

I'm glad David is gone but I'm struggling to understand why he got so much loving content if he was going to end up a 10th place finisher who didn't really make any particularly compelling moves

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Make this the OP please

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Given how many people are still left, I think Wardog and Rick both have big enough targets on their backs that I'd be pretty impressed if either of them manage to make it to the finals.

Funnily enough, even though they've badly bungled the post-merge, I think a Kama player winning is most likely at this point. Ron and Victoria probably have the most solid arguments in their favor right now, but if anyone's able to claim credit for taking out Wardog and/or Rick then they'll automatically have a decent case

Although considering how long it took to eliminate a member the power trio — and that it only happened because a member of the trio suggested it — maybe I'm overestimating how likely it is the rest of the cast hones in on Wardog/Rick pretty quickly.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

The era of Survivor we're in is just some Tony "chicken with it's head cut off" stuff.

Yeah modern Survivor strategy is just frantic nonsense. Anyone who isn't playing hyper-aggressive is labeled a "passenger," a term I truly despise, and everyone is constantly itching to make a Big Move to boost their Resume.

There have been a couple of players the past few seasons who have pointed out that this degree of instability is probably counterproductive for making it far in the game, including Victoria who pointed out the Eric boot was almost certainly too soon. I wonder if we'll ever see things swing back in the other direction where a stable alliance of 5+ people isn't a strange occurrence post-merge.

I guess those types of alliances tended to lean on bottom-feeder types who legitimately did have no chance of winning, so maybe you can't go back now that more of the cast is gunning harder to win a jury vote. Still, it'd probably be optimal strategy to try to set up something reliable to carry you through most of the game while plotting to make a power play with 5-8 people left or something

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spergatory posted:

Ben was not even two seasons ago for these people. How are they loving up in the exact same way?

Like, literally, you just follow them. Once you establish that someone is looking for an idol, if they are your target, you follow them! You loving follow them, twenty four hours a day if necessary, especially if they have already found an idol! If you have an alliance consisting of, oh, I don't know, every other player in the game, then you can even do it in shifts! If nothing else, this happening twice should drill it into players' heads that idol shadowing is an absolute must.

Counterpoint: Expecting the players left in the game to literally constantly shadow some dude just in case he finds the free immunity the producers can't be bothered to meaningfully hide is bad TV. Idols have sucked for like 10 seasons now

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

TMMadman posted:

I just don't understand how someone can't be a Devins fan at this point.

I mean the everyone in the game has not only been against him at some point in the game, but most of them have also been (or at least seemed to be) jerky towards him too. And his response is to tweak their noses and keep on smiling while he fights against them.

Sure, you could probably complain about the fact that he keeps finding the HIIs, but that should be more a complaint against production keeping so many HIIs in the game rather than against Devins for being the one to find them.

He's corny as hell and I don't give a poo poo about people being able to find idols

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

curiousCat posted:

Rick: funny guy, I enjoy him

Rick's edit: drowning out other players, I hate it

Yeah, it's funny seeing people going like "can you imagine how boring this season would be without Rick!" as if the decision to give Rick as much airtime as all the other contestants combined means everyone else is just sitting around doing jack poo poo. Save maybe Gavin, all of the other contestants have shown enough for me to believe they could easily be fleshed out into more dynamic characters, and the editors just saw The Rick Show as the easiest story to tell (particularly if he wins)

In general, late-game idols tend to turn the people who find them into camera-hogs, which is part of why I've come to hate them so much. You're guaranteed airtime for you to say you're going to look for the idol, then you get airtime talking about how important it was for you to find the idol, then you get airtime talking about how you're going to leverage your idol to further your game. Plus all the other contestants get shown speculating about whether or not you have the idol, and how to navigate the different scenarios. It's exhausting

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ah yes, a news anchor in Macon, Georgia, one of the most entertaining jobs imaginable.

"Actually funny and charismatic" is a subjective point; I've always thought Rick is corny as hell. Still, I understand why people would like him. His edit was reasonable early in the season, but there are very few people who are deserving of the amount of airtime he's gotten recently.

I liked contestants like Tony, Mike and Ben to varying degrees, but it was still annoying when they were at the peak of their edits. It feels counterproductive, to me, to risk overexposing the dude you're trying to get the audience to support (and to alienate any viewer who happens to dislike that contestant)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hell yeah, Final 2 supremacy

I do think going to a final three opened the door to eventually doing the F4 fire challenge, because it acknowledged frustrations that it was too hard for "the best player" to win. I guess an American TV audience was probably never going to be at peace with too many imperfect endings, but I liked the occasional oddball F2 showdown.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"Can a complete dipshit who sucks like you win this game?"
"Let's just say, I'll definitely be back!"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lmao Chris

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Rick: Hmm I betrayed Chris but I hope he's not mad at me

(one day later)

Rick: What the hell was Chris thinking helping Julie??? Obviously I still trust him but it's almost like...he's not unconditionally loyal to me for some unknowable reason

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What the gently caress is the point of saving Chris and burning a free pass to the F4??

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Final five, time for the game to devolve into a dumb rear end hide and seek game. This poo poo sucks

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
gently caress off, this show sucks rear end

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Three newly active idols in the final five, lmao

e: oh wait it's fake. But they have reason to believe there'd be two idols planted at the F5!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I mean, why wouldn't a fake idol play work when they have trinkets and the literal paper they use for idols?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Bloop posted:

I sure do care how much you all are butthurt by the idols

Do you have money on this show or something? Christ

There are going to be three people immune at the final five; it makes actual gameplay completely irrelevant

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Rick's endgame:

F9: Immune (because a voted-out David gave him an advantage)
F8: Immune
F7: Idol
F6: Immune
F6 redux: Idol
F5: Immune, idol
F4: Literally can't get voted out

This show is broken

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

by being on the edge, Chris was immune for way more than this many lol

Excited for Rick to lose the fire-making challenge and Chris to win in the most disappointing outcome ever

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
When you design a returnee system to ensure Joe makes the finals but some rando accidentally steals his spot instead <<<<

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Dude is Chris gonna make the fire himself

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

I don't know what BDE means but that's a big power play

"Big Devens Energy" - it's when you do something kinda dumb but undeniably showy to wow the jury

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Chris pulling this off would push this over the edge of dumbness all the way back around to good again, I'm on board

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
To be clear, Survivor has gotten to the point where someone has given up final four immunity so he can make fire against another person to bolster his ~Resume~

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Fast Luck posted:

I mean it’s actually bad TV that some complete stranger is likely about to win the game. But it’s funny as hell I guess, it shifts the season from the Driebergen outcome over to Survivor’s stupid F5 returnee twist biting them, which is... good? Sort of?

You'd think this season would get them to tamp down the twists; I would hope at the very least the F4 firemaking challenge is dead after how it played out here.

Don't have a ton of faith in that actually being the producers' takeaway, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ah yes, the famous Survivor tagline: "... Outlast."