Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, unsurprisingly, is the sequel to Battlefleet Gothic Armada, which I LP'd (here) two years ago. A lot is the same, so let's look at what's changed.

BFGA 1 changes posted:

Battlefleet Gothic Armada is a tactical fleet battle game based upon the Warhammer 40k miniature game, Battlefleet Gothic. It was developed by Tindalos Interactive who previously made a spaceships MOBA which plays oddly similarly to this title. Its campaign oversees the events of the 1213th Black Crusade, also known as the Gothic War Gathering Storm, and is played on a sector map with real-time tactical battles, not too dissimilar to a Total War game. It is also the most story focused Warhammer game and one of only a select few titles where the main characters are not the Space Marines but rather the Imperial Navy. The whole Imperium, the Tyranids, or the Necrons.

Cool, so does that mean many fleets?

No, we only get one fleet with persistent leveling. There is no movement on the campaign map, it's basically just a glorified mission list. The campaign is also semi-dynamic, featuring branching paths and losses that do not necessarily mean game over, even in story missions. I promise to reach the end, but I might also show off some branching events and alternate mission resolutions.

YES, AT LAST

Can we be the Orks?

Again, no. The campaign only covers the Imperial, Tyranid and Necron perspectives and it does so rather well. It is our job to put out the many fires started by the hostile factions in this game, the forces of Chaos, Ork Pirates and Eldar Corsairs. Or now, literally every space-borne Warhammer faction. So, everyone but the Ecclesiarchy, Genestealer Cult, Sisters of Battle, and Inquisition (since they usually just requisition ships instead of hold their own fleets) Failure to do so will create unfavorable conditions which may preclude us from winning the game. The skirmish mode also features Space Marine and Tau fleets, the former being awfully similar to the Imperial Navy and the latter being simply broken and wonderful as Tau ships should be.

The only major complaint I have, is the Orks aren't a playable race in the campaign. The voice acting and presentation remain stellar, and this is directly tackling the currently ongoing events in Warhammer lore, so it's pretty exciting even if it's non-canon. It also has full campaign co-op, so if you're looking for a strategy game to play with a friend, this isn't a bad choice at all.

Thread participation and format?

Like last time, ship names are greatly appreciated - Again, this one features multiple fleets, so that's even more ships.

The format this time, will be a little different. The game is far more lore rich than its predecessor, and I'd like to make sure that gets across. So, the general gameplay videos will remain at around a 30 minute length, like last time, but I'll be releasing general lore videos as well - mostly highlighting the flavour text found in-game, along with general explanations of events referenced. These'll probably take a little longer than the gameplay.

What campaign are you starting with?

The game has three campaigns: Imperial, Necron and Tyranid, as well as a prologue campaign, acting as a tutorial and setting the scene. The Imperial campaign also acts as a tutorial for the campaign layer, so it'll definitely have to be covered first, but the choice of who comes next is up to you.

Guess it's time to engage those tactical cogitators again.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Prologue, Part 1

Prologue, Part 2

Imperium, Part 1

Imperium, Part 2

Imperium, Part 3

Imperium, Part 4

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 27, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

And also reserved.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
The Expendable

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ship name: A battleship (any non-carrier class) named Cestus Fortius Magnus Imperator (The Emperor's Big Mighty Fist), please!

And Imperial campaign first, as well, though I'd request a lot of Mechanicus ships if possible, thanks!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ship name: Welcome to Terra

Are you going to record all your battles? With all the invasions, attacks and whatnot it's a lot of non-important battles.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Purgamentum, a word for trash. It sounds like a 40K name, but it could have been a garbage scow in 30K or something, fixed up for space battle because that's all they've got now!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
A fast ship that's real good at running away (Like light cruiser with the microwarp jump) should be named afterCIAPHAS CAIN

EDIT: Also, do imps first, then necrons, then finally the bugs

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'll suggest the Bitchin Camaro because I have a warped sense of humor. Also start with the Necrons because they could use some love.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Prologue, Part 1

CommissarMega posted:

And Imperial campaign first, as well, though I'd request a lot of Mechanicus ships if possible, thanks!

The Imperial campaign will definitely be first, since it introduces all the campaign mechanics. Mechanicus ships, I tend to rate fairly poorly. They're only really good for nova cannon swarms. We'll definitely have a couple of those fleets.

Angry Lobster posted:

Are you going to record all your battles? With all the invasions, attacks and whatnot it's a lot of non-important battles.

I'll record them in case something interesting happens, but will probably mark or edit out pointless battles.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 14, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

For ship names, might I suggest In faciem tuam a Exteriores Spatium? Last time I went for the HMS Pinafor, but something more Latin is acceptable.

Edit: Or if that is too long, something a bit shorter. Like Pax Hominibus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Mechanicus ships, I tend to rate fairly poorly. They're only really good for nova cannon swarms.

Aw man, really? I was hoping for some Ark Mechanicus 'Laws of physics? More like polite suggestions of physics' shenanigans :(

Samovar posted:

Edit: Or if that is too long, something a bit shorter. Like Pax Hominibus.

Pax Ex Bellum sounds good.

EDIT: Did anyone have problems with watching Herp's video? I didn't get any sound other than his voice.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 14, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Prologue, Part 1

The Imperial campaign will definitely be first, since it introduces all the campaign mechanics. Mechanicus ships, I tend to rate fairly poorly. They're only really good for nova cannon swarms. We'll definitely have a couple of those fleets.

I'll record them in case something interesting happens, but will probably mark or edit out pointless battles.

Yeah, Herp, you forgot to put the game audio in.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Did anyone have problems with watching Herp's video? I didn't get any sound other than his voice.
:same: I don't know how that was managed, but it shouldn't be too hard to just rerecord less than an hour of footage.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

To honor the two greatest sons of Mars, who have sadly fallen, can I request you name two Mechanicus ships Pneuma and Eukairia?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, Herp, you forgot to put the game audio in.

CommissarMega posted:

NGDBSS posted:

:same: I don't know how that was managed, but it shouldn't be too hard to just rerecord less than an hour of footage.

:suicide:

I don't even have to re-record it. For some inexplicable reason, Vegas decided to just not merge the tracks for the game audio and my audio, and Youtube only listens to the first track. So I just have to re-render.

And it did this for my whole first batch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I don't even have to re-record it. For some inexplicable reason, Vegas decided to just not merge the tracks for the game audio and my audio, and Youtube only listens to the first track. So I just have to re-render.

You have failed the Emperor for the last time!

*gunshot*

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Welp. I guess I'll be watching this at work tomorrow instead of now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Welp. I guess I'll be watching this at work tomorrow instead of now.

Prologue, Part 1 but fixed. Sorry about that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Prologue, Part 1 but fixed. Sorry about that.

Hooray! I get my spaceship pew pew fix!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
You should definitely make your first Space Marine fleet the Salamanders, and name their ship Hand of Prometheus.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Going back to the first thread, let's get the His Divine Overcompensation back.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm glad to see you covering this game as well, and also doing the Prologue campaign: it might be the tutorial to the game but it would be a crime to skip the Battle of Cadia.
As for ship names, I have to suggest The Litany of Ramming, which could work as either a IN cruiser with a power ram or a SM ship. :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
In loco parentis.

For the Emprah!

Also, find your teeniest ship and name it Iuncta iuvant.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I would like to see a return of the Totally Legit Hummie Kruizer, kitted out for maximum ramming - naturally.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fabricati Diem is a great name for a ship.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Technowolf posted:

Going back to the first thread, let's get the His Divine Overcompensation back.

I really like this one.

Nice to see Herp back! I *might* have to fight you for calling this the best Warhammer game instead of Total War: Warhammer 2, but oh well. For a name, how about drat the Damnations?

Also, someone should have told Sven that Chaos kinda *likes* it when you make things painful for them; what they hate is quick and easy.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 15, 2019

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
An old one but a good one,
The Litany of Litanies Litany

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, someone should have told Sven that Chaos kinda *likes* it when you make things painful for them; what they hate is quick and easy.

And also bloodless.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Prologue, Part 2

thetruegentleman posted:

Nice to see Herp back! I *might* have to fight you for calling this the best Warhammer game instead of Total War: Warhammer 2, but oh well. For a name, how about drat the Damnations?

It's nice to be back! And as much as I do love Total Warhammer 2, it's just more of the usual Total War fare - it lacks the flavour, even if it nails the battles. Give me a Shadow of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen using Total War's combat, and now we're talking.

It'll still be a little while yet until we get to being able to name all of our ships, but we're going to have a lot of them to name all at once, so keep those names coming in! Of course, I'll be bringing back the greatest hits from the previous LP, so don't worry about suggesting His Divine Overcompensation and the Totally Legit Humie Spess Krooza (I think that was it's old name).

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Nominating Dick Turpin for the worst piece of crap we get.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Let's have a spacebote named the Questionable Decision.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
I'd like to put a vote in for a ship called the Rammstein

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Of course the first female admiral to show up in 40k fluff gets tens of thousands of people slaughtered for no purpose.

Dammit, 40k.

So looking forward to the Necron and Tyranid campaigns slaughtering the space Nazis.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Well, dang, who taught Abaddon about Colony Drops?

And please tell me the Imperial Fists' big golden Dorn Star made it out okay :ohdear:

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Of course the first female admiral to show up in 40k fluff gets tens of thousands of people slaughtered for no purpose.

Dammit, 40k.

So looking forward to the Necron and Tyranid campaigns slaughtering the space Nazis.

For 40k, killing a few thousand of your own troops out of stubborn pride is pretty much standard operating procedure. You have to make sure the troops fear what is behind them more than the enemy in front of them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also 40K writers put "and then [LARGE NUMBER] troops died for no reason" in every 5 minutes just out of habit, in case you've forgotten how GRIMDARK everything is in the 5 minutes since they last did it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Dammit, 40k.

Look, I'm pretty sure most of us would've given the exact same order to attack the Vengeful Spirit. And I definitely would've given that ramming order.

The key is, they saved millions through the evac order - they're a good admiral.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do like the design of the Pylons - obviously there's the obelisk aesthetic to them - but the fact that they go from giant, to incredibly giant, to stupidly giant, to LAUGHABLY giant and then back to incredibly giant just makes them seem properly alien. It's like the limo from Windowlicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, interesting that they have the Phalanx, Honor of Macragge, and Vengeful Spirit - all the flagships of those legions during the Great Crusade and Heresy eras.

The other Legion flagships from that era that might show up, then:

Dark Angels: Invincible Reason
White Scars: Swordstorm
Space Wolves: Hrafnkel
Imperial Fists: Eternal Crusader (Gloriana class, they kept it after they found and claimed the Phalanx)
Blood Angels: Blood Tear
Iron Hands: Iron Fist
Salamanders: Flamewrought
Raven Guard: Shadow of the Emperor

Emperor's Children: Pride of the Emperor
Iron Warriors: Iron Blood
Night Lords: Nightfall
World Eaters: Conqueror
Death Guard: Endurance
Thousand Sons: Photep
Word Bearers: Trisagion (Furious Abyss class, almost as big as the Phalanx... and they had another one, the Blessed Lady)
Alpha Legion: Alpha

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 16, 2019