Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I figured it was just SFB fans on the dev team.

Real SFB fans would call it an HET (either pronounced by the letters as an acronym, or as a 'het'). :smuggo: Or it could have been a carry over from people who worked on Star Fleet Command.

It is kinda weird, seeing that turn in the second game, when 'Snap Turn' or "hard about" would work better. The latter especially the case given the naval stylings this game uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cythereal posted:

And they can drink each others' blood to make them literally physically identical. Drink their primarch's blood? Hooray, they're as big and strong as the primarch! And they're all Alpharius.

Wait, where is this part from? I looked on the wiki and didn't see it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed your previous Gothic Armada LP, so I'll be sure to watch this as well (once I clear out some more of my backlog).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I really hope we get to do the Tyranid campaign second, they were my preference for the Tabletop and sadly the one other game you can play as them does them no justice. Dawn of War 2 is so sad for Tyranids.

As far as fun nonsense involving their ships, like everything else each Tyranid ship is a living organism and acts with the will of the Hive and HiveMind. Most notably is a tiny defenseless ship born with incredible sensory organs and exactly one actual ability. It can use the gravity of distant solar systems to create Gravity Wells that the entire Hive Fleet fall into at greater than Light Speeds. This makes Tyranids the slowest moving space faction, but their preferred method literally causes natural disasters in the solar system they’re targeting so it acts as a first blow in a war that nobody knows is happening until it’s too late.

As far as actual space combat Tyranids prefer boarding to everything else because they want that biomass.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

I really hope we get to do the Tyranid campaign second, they were my preference for the Tabletop and sadly the one other game you can play as them does them no justice. Dawn of War 2 is so sad for Tyranids.

As far as fun nonsense involving their ships, like everything else each Tyranid ship is a living organism and acts with the will of the Hive and HiveMind. Most notably is a tiny defenseless ship born with incredible sensory organs and exactly one actual ability. It can use the gravity of distant solar systems to create Gravity Wells that the entire Hive Fleet fall into at greater than Light Speeds. This makes Tyranids the slowest moving space faction, but their preferred method literally causes natural disasters in the solar system they’re targeting so it acts as a first blow in a war that nobody knows is happening until it’s too late.

As far as actual space combat Tyranids prefer boarding to everything else because they want that biomass.

They retconned Tau to not have ftl.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

They retconned Tau to not have ftl.

I didn’t know that, honestly kind of a weird retcon because it makes their expansion even sillier given 40 is considered old age.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Lord_Magmar posted:

I didn’t know that, honestly kind of a weird retcon because it makes their expansion even sillier given 40 is considered old age.

Yeah, I thought it was always just kind of lovely but still workable. Weird thing to change.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
First the Tau use the Warp to travel, but only in short bursts because they don't have Navigator equivalents, then they have slow but capable FTL, and now they have not-FTL that works by having the crew believe that it doesn't take years to go to other stars even at lightspeed. Everybody else going slower doesn't mean the ship is going faster, and time would probably normalize regardless once they leave near-lightspeed,

I really don't get why they changed it from the short-burst warp travel: you can get from one side of the Imperium to the other in 300 warp-travel days if nothing horrible happens (obviously never a given,) with an almost random correspondence to real-time, although it generally correlates to years or decades of travel. Going sub-light, it would take almost as much time for the Tau to travel from Alpha Centauri to Earth as it would for people from Earth to reach Tau space, if the travelers are reasonably lucky.

The cherry on top is that Horace moved at 75% of light-speed while approaching Earth, so the Tau barely have an advantage even in the Materium.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 22, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm horribly out of date, but do the Tau still hitch rides with the totally-not-the-Bentusi for some of their FTL?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

And the Tau have now tried Imperium-style Warp travel now.

It went bad.

I'm talking Event Horizon bad.

May have created a new Chaos God bad.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Technowolf posted:

It went bad.

Which book is this in? I love the fluff but I can't keep up with all of it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Technowolf posted:

It went bad.

It isn't really their fault that they set out just as Abbadon split the galaxy in half with the Eye of Terror. Besides, most of the fleet actually seems to have survived...as crazed xenophobes worshiping a warp-entity, yes, but points where they're due.

seaborgium posted:

Which book is this in? I love the fluff but I can't keep up with all of it.

8th edition.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

It isn't really their fault that they set out just as Abbadon split the galaxy in half with the Eye of Terror. Besides, most of the fleet actually seems to have survived...as crazed xenophobes worshiping a warp-entity, yes, but points where they're due.

Why does it matter who they worship? Don't Tau have next to no presence in the Warp, and thus no ablility to empower Warp entities?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aumanor posted:

Why does it matter who they worship? Don't Tau have next to no presence in the Warp, and thus no ablility to empower Warp entities?
I think what happened is that all the non-Tau auxiliaries in the empire do have presence in the warp, so they created a warp god of the Greater Good. The actual Tau in that doomed expedition encountered it when things got all event horizon, and promptly declared it heresy (I guess they picked it up from the Imperium) and purged the few non-Tau survivors of their expedition.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think what happened is that all the non-Tau auxiliaries in the empire do have presence in the warp, so they created a warp god of the Greater Good. The actual Tau in that doomed expedition encountered it when things got all event horizon, and promptly declared it heresy (I guess they picked it up from the Imperium) and purged the few non-Tau survivors of their expedition.

It's actually the Tau themselves who started to worship the Warp-entity, because it ejected the fleet from the Warp and thus saved them: most of the non-Tau went totally bonkers while in the warp, and got purged as a result (maybe even all the non-Tau, I don't remember,) and all of the survivors have become noticeably more violent. Needless to say, the Ethereals are *not* happy, but don't know what to do.

Worse, no one yet knows how much of this is due to corruption, and how much is just stress from long-term exposure to the Warp: the Tau still have souls, so in theory they can still be corrupted even without psychic powers, it's just more difficult. All bets are off if once they start worshiping demons though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's also worth noting that Ethereals show a lot of signs of being Psykers without any proof either way because nobody gets to study/talk to them outside the Tau themselves. Tau have souls, like the Necrontyr, it's just they're both really weak in the warp, possibly due to such short lives.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also worth noting that Ethereals show a lot of signs of being Psykers without any proof either way because nobody gets to study/talk to them outside the Tau themselves.

Nah, the Inquisition's dissected plenty. Ethereals have a pheromone-producing organ other castes lack.

Old fluff all but outright stated that the Tau were genetically modified and uplifted by the Eldar as an anti-Chaos weapon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Nah, the Inquisition's dissected plenty. Ethereals have a pheromone-producing organ other castes lack.

Old fluff all but outright stated that the Tau were genetically modified and uplifted by the Eldar as an anti-Chaos weapon.

Oh neat, doesn't explain how the Ethereals put the whammy on the non-Tau, but technology is technology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh neat, doesn't explain how the Ethereals put the whammy on the non-Tau, but technology is technology.

The Imperium is a Nazi's wet dream. Persuading people to leave and take up a new ideology or nation isn't that hard when you're not in imminent peril of the Imperium killing you for thoughtcrimes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The Imperium have exterminated human realms that were doing well and were more advanced in technology and more sensible in their attitudes towards chaos and aliens.

Just learning that a lot of things they were told were not so true could be enough. But then, the Imperium's indoctrination is as powerful as any mind-whammy or pheromone you can add from any other race. Warhammer 40K is not white vs black, or grey vs black, or grey vs grey. It's black vs black in all things. Everything is beyond all limits.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The Imperium is a Nazi's wet dream. Persuading people to leave and take up a new ideology or nation isn't that hard when you're not in imminent peril of the Imperium killing you for thoughtcrimes.

Yeah, but the Tau also managed it on the Kroot the Vespid and several other auxiliary species. The Vespid super noticeably disagreed until they met an ethereal and then became best chums.

Also the Imperium isn’t only a Nazi’s wet dream, there are several places that are perfectly fine to live in as an imperial citizen, generally places the Space Marines recruit from admittedly.

Generally speaking 40k and the imperium are at their best when juxtaposing the terrible nature of reality with the incredibly human and noble heroism some people show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, but the Tau also managed it on the Kroot the Vespid and several other auxiliary species. The Vespid super noticeably disagreed until they met an ethereal and then became best chums.

Also the Imperium isn’t only a Nazi’s wet dream, there are several places that are perfectly fine to live in as an imperial citizen, generally places the Space Marines recruit from admittedly.

Generally speaking 40k and the imperium are at their best when juxtaposing the terrible nature of reality with the incredibly human and noble heroism some people show.

The Kroot are mercenaries, and to be fair the Tau did help them fight off a pretty major Ork attack.

And the Vespid only got on board when the Tau provided their leaders with translation helmets. Or 'translation helmets'.

And while there are nice places to live in the Imperium, most of them aren't on the Eastern Fringe. And if you're in the Guard, your life probably wasn't super-great. Most of the humans living in Tau space were literally POWs who got stuck behind the lines.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Imperium, Part 3

Apologies for the lengthy gap - One failed recording and a bout of illness (gotta love the flu season) along with this pretty cool update dropping all of a sudden.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Gotta love Ciaphas Cain. "Gah, I wish I could just be organising firing squads, but because of my heroic reputation I guess I have to somehow handle this situation without shooting anyone. Plus, I don't want them shooting me in the back."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Gotta love Ciaphas Cain. "Gah, I wish I could just be organising firing squads, but because of my heroic reputation I guess I have to somehow handle this situation without shooting anyone. Plus, I don't want them shooting me in the back."

I think for him it's more "I don't want to get shot in the back like all the other Commissar's I see who organize regular firing squads. Maybe there's a way I don't have to shoot everyone whose shoes aren't shined sufficiently, or groups of infantry in tight quarters on a ship undergoing stressful warp travel that might get in occasional fistfights." He has absolutely no problems shooting people, especially people involved with Chaos or the Necrons or whose incompetence is threatening his own safety. Especially incompetence. For him the firing squads are a viable option, just not the first option which makes him loads more forgiving than the rest of the Imperium.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
Proposing HUNGER FOR BURGER as ship name. Preferably Astartes one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Imperium, Part 3

Apologies for the lengthy gap - One failed recording and a bout of illness (gotta love the flu season) along with this pretty cool update dropping all of a sudden.

Oh, Part 4 is going to hurt.

And Ciaphas Cain is truly the HERO OF THE IMPERIUM the galaxy needs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And Ciaphas Cain is truly the HERO OF THE IMPERIUM the galaxy needs.

Def. not the one it deserves though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

"I'm a coward! I'm a coward!" I cry as I turn and charge towards the oncoming tyranid horde to rescue a lone fallen guardsman.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kaptain posted:

I laughed too hard at that. Thank you for showing us that.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Well, I just bought this game because of this LP. Can you name a Mechanicus ship 'Rapid Unplanned Disassembly' for me?

Minor nitpick though, the 'ei' in Rammstein is pronounced like 'I', not 'ee'.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Boksi posted:

Minor nitpick though, the 'ei' in Rammstein is pronounced like 'I', not 'ee'.

The worst part is, I know that. Curse you flu brain :argh:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Curse you flu brain! :argh:

Kaptain posted:

They'll be the first Blood Angels fleet we get.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Today I have learned that the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Eaters are two separate Blood Angels successor Chapters. I have also learned that the Iron Hands are no longer the creepiest First Founding Chapter anymore.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Before the changes to the boarding mechanics I would have said that Herp was being a bit overly dramatic about it, but now I am not so sure.
With the way boarding worked before it was pretty easy to have two Space Marine cruisers start in Silent Running and then sneak them in to basically annihilate one ship through boarding actions and then either retreat or get stuck in a fight alongside the rest of the fleet. But now while they are still strong, it might take too long to be able to pull this off without taking a fair amount of damage that would have been avoidable before.

Also when it comes to strike fighters I believe the Space Marine Stormhawks are just inferior in a space dogfight against other squadrons in general: when I have an Imperial Navy carrier like a Defiant, their Fury Interceptors seem to perform a lot better in their role of space superiority fighters, though they don't seem to be quite as durable when attacking a capital ship turrets like we've seen the Stormhawks do in the video.

CommissarMega posted:

Today I have learned that the Flesh Tearers and Flesh Eaters are two separate Blood Angels successor Chapters. I have also learned that the Iron Hands are no longer the creepiest First Founding Chapter anymore.
Nooo, why would you say that? They're not creepy, they just want a good burger or two :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tnVODuI-g

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I suppose you could institute a tactical retreat from Cadia at the start of the battle by just having all your ships disengage?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Imperium, Part 4

Yvonmukluk posted:

I suppose you could institute a tactical retreat from Cadia at the start of the battle by just having all your ships disengage?

Never give up. Never surrender.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly the Space Marine Navy being a little weak compared to the Imperial Navy makes some sense. Generally the Imperium is afraid of future rebellion. Horus may be the most famous but they’ve had a bunch of other problems with people gaining too much power. It’s why the Ecclesiarchy are not supposed to have armed forces anymore, the Sisters of Battle are a linguistic loophole because the actual law is no Men under Arms or something.

Basically one of the various power checks is that the Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard are separate but wholly reliant on eachother to function. Space Marines have good gear, often some of the best, but anything new is going to be generally slightly lower quality then that available to the Imperial Navy, or the Adeptus Mechanicus.

It helps that Space Marines prefer boarding based engagements to strict space superiority fights, so their ships are often more suited for allowing a boarding action then actual ship to ship combat. Also, Space Marines inside their Armor can survive years floating through the vacuum of space, so they’re a little less worried than most at damage done to ships.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wow, that was awesome!

So does it make sense to prioritise your Admech fleet for reinforcement since you've got a Forge World that buffs new AdMech ships, or are their planets that buff the Space Marine/Imperial Navy ships under your control now?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
That was a pretty intense battle! The Lunar even got to show off its utility as a low-cost jack-of-all trades type ship. Space Marine getting spooked by the Warp seems kinda dumb though.

Also, Mechanics ships don't want to ram if you can avoid it; they don't really have the armor or moral for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

thetruegentleman posted:

That was a pretty intense battle! The Lunar even got to show off its utility as a low-cost jack-of-all trades type ship. Space Marine getting spooked by the Warp seems kinda dumb though.

Also, Mechanics ships don't want to ram if you can avoid it; they don't really have the armor or moral for it.

It could be the chapter serfs who man the vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

It could be the chapter serfs who man the vessels.

If you go by the books, it is. There's usually a Marine in command, and all the other Marines are there for boarding or transport. Some chapters/legions have a normal human in command, but subject to override by the Marines at any time.

In the Horus Heresy books, it's a noted thing that most of the best ship and fleet commanders in the Imperium are Imperial Navy officers, not Marines, and some primarchs delegated all space combat to the humans beyond "Get us in close enough to board" orders and the like.

Here we're dealing with the Imperial Fists, who are unusually good at space warfare for Space Marines and emphasize it, so it's probably the Marine captain, human crew model.

As for the Chaos fleets, they typically follow the same pattern. The Word Bearers were the only traitor Legion known for the size of their fleet and ability in naval combat.