Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kenshi is an indie game developed over the course of 12 years, officially released in December of 2018. It takes place in a post apocalyptic world, with a huge feudal Japan influence on the style. Guns were never invented but robots and electricity were, katanas and sabers are the common weapons. Slavery is rampant, bandits are everywhere and lets not even talk about the wildlife. Then you have the main factions who may be hostile with you and raid bases you build, or demand taxes if you build up in their territory. Robots are a thing, along with prosthetic limbs.

Kenshi is a purely open world sandbox. You aren't told where to go or what to do, that is on you. A big theme in Kenshi is losing and getting stronger from it. Getting beaten up is just part of the process, hungry bandits attacking you in hopes that you have food on your body for them to take, or maybe they want to take your nice sword. We'll start with a bunch of nobodies who will hopefully be able to not only beat down bandits but entire armies.

If you're interested, the game even has a demo available! The demo is basically the full game but with caps on recruiting characters and your stats.

How is this gonna work out?

Given that the game literally has no story (Its got lore and background, but no explicit "go here and do this"), I am going to go with goals for our party. One primary goal and I will let the thread vote on other goals (IE, we meet a faction, this is what they do, should we be friendly or hostile?). I'll be letting things happen when it comes to deaths or other negative things, Kenshi is a game about coming out stronger after defeat. No, seriously. I'll only be reloading if it does something like launch a character at mach 5 over some hills and into a swarm of cannibals (yes this has happened to me, multiple times).

Our primary goal is Destroying the Holy Nation faction. We will start as slaves to this faction, and after escaping we will work our way in being able to take them down.

Spoilers?

There is no story, but I ask if you can keep high leveled areas in spoiler tags, or what happens if certain characters are killed.

Names!

You can change the looks and name of characters by visiting a surgeon, I will name characters after goons. Note that I do have a set of characters I want for the main crew (namely people with unique dialogue), but we'll need people to do labor at a base and people to defend the base while the main crew is rolling around. We will go first come first serve on the naming order. You can request to be certain races but I can't promise that I'll be able to recruit one, especially Skeletons (robots).

It IS possible to change how a character looks, so if you get a character named and want me to change a few things I'll go ahead and do it. But for like small things, namely hair style and color. If you have a copy (maybe this will work for the demo as well?) you can go into the character creator and export your character model, which will go into Kenshi\data\character\bodies\export, then upload that to google drive and I can import it into my game.

This LP got way more popular then I was expecting. Names are on hold for now!

Mod list
Reactive World - Adds more events in the world, mostly expanding on minor factions
Shopping Economy - Makes the shop counter less useless
Wooden Training Dummy - Easier training for Dexterity
Strength Training Equipment - Easier training for Strength
Sparring Mats - Easier training for Martial Arts and Melee Defense
Let's Talk - Makes dialogue repeat, it can be easy to miss them
Kenshi Icons - Better icons
256 Recruit Limit - Let us recruit more then the 30 people cap
Tame Beasties - Lets us recruit beasts
Recruitable Prisoners - Lets us recruit prisoners
Animation Overhaul - Adds extra animations when using various benches
Sensible Spider Range - Makes blood spiders less bullshit
Goggles with Hats - Changes the goggles to fill the otherwise useless belt slot, so you can wear them with hats
Free the Hair - Prevents the game from shaving your head when you put on helmets
Training Swords - Puts in 0 damage weapons to use with training
Copper Ore Drills - Adds in copper ore drills to go with iron ore ones.
Interior and Exterior Design - More building options and furniture
Guardposts - Lets us set areas for people to stand guard at, which lets us give them a job so they will go to it after going for a food run
Moisture Farming - Lets us farm in areas with no water

Rebirth

Mongrel

Flotsam

Journey to UC

Meatwrap

Journey to the Hub

Dusting the Hub

Cannibal Plains

Meeting the Neighbors

Beating the Neighbors

Leaving the Nest

Average Week In Tropico

Presidente's Curse

Crabs

The Update With Slightly Less Crabs

Scalping and Skinning

The Value Of [Crab] Friends

Praise Okran

Goodbye to Crab

Exploring Narko and Okran

Error

Rebirth and Retribution

Equivalent Exchange

Inquisiting the Inquisitors

Bugging the Phoenix

One Last Expedition

Goontang Clan

And Why No One Fucks With Them

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wall of Goons

Lela: Greenlander, starter.

Ibblebibble: Greenlander, start.

Turtlicious: Shek (Formerly known as Neko), escaped Rebirth.

Sandalphonse: Greenlander (Formerly known as Truth), escaped Rebirth.

Beep: Beep. Joined us in Mongrel, followed us around until we recruited him. Will be the strongest warrior.

CommissarMecha: Found in his tower in the Floodlands, formerly known as Burn. Enjoys telling stories about the old world.

Drakenel: Hired in the Flotsam Village, formerly known as Pia.

Noire: I hate you all. Former Flotsam ninja that was saved from cannibals.

Average Lettuce: Pack bull bought from a traveling group of Nomads.

Megane: Pickpocket met in the town of Bark

Mr Bones: Depressed robot found in the Black Desert City

Shootaboy: Drunk smuggler found in the swamp city of Shark

Sordas Volantyr: Scientist found in a UC bar

AnnilEhilated: Disgraced Shek warrior found in the city of Squin.

Satan's Onion: Ex slave whose friend died to blood spiders, picked up in Shark's bar.

: Fat Samurai: Not quite sane prisoner rescued from the Dust Bandit King's tower

: Guarstine: Greenlander who lost his wife to slavers, picked up in Shark's bar

Dr. Snark: Scorchlander picked up in Flotsam

Crane: Puppo purchased from a nomad caravan in Jetsam

Dervinosdoom: Farmer picked up in the Fishing Village, wanted to get away from cannibals, ended up joining the party while hunting them

HouShendgdi: General laborer and engineer picked up in the Fishing Village.

Grammish: Shek adventurer picked up Fishing Village with the promise of finding hidden treasure.

Mars: Scorchlander cook found in the UC territory

Last Transmission: Freelance Skeleton who somehow managed to scar their metal face while opening a can with a sword. Picked up in the UC territory.

Tombot: Disillusioned Skeleton found in Shark, despairs over the cruelties of man.

Brougal: Hiver Prince found in Mud Town, jack of all trades that is hired after the party clears his gambling debt.

Don Jo: Hiver Drone who ran away from a UC slaver camp and asked to join the party.

Jimmy Dalad: Scorchlander slave the party freed while raiding Port South. Joined the party after.

Dareon: Greenlander slave the party freed while raiding Port South. Joined the party after.

Slaan: Shek slave who ran away from a UC slaver camp and asked to join the party.

Velo: Scorchlander found in Flats Lagoon, apparent badass who joins the party after payment.

Agnu: Soldierbot found in a tower held by a bunch of hostile Skeletons. Incapable of talking, joins the party after freeing him.

Dugite: Shek peasant who wanted to fight again, joins the party in hopes of glory in battle.

Vadoc: Hive Soldier who wants general revenge against bandits, joins the party to kill bandits

Dirk The Average: Freelancer found in a UC city who joins the party.

ScaldingCoffee: Pupper picked up to give Crane a playmate

Arkanumzilong: Scorchlander crab fanatic, picked up at Crab Town.

Gridlocked: Crab. Crab.

Dead Meat: Greenlander reaver slave, joined the group after killing his masters mid combat.

Ardryn: Greenlander who was in the reavers. Was captured and recruited, for no other reason then the game's character creator giving her a sizable donk (that means butt to the less informed)

Thunderclan: Greenlander grass pirate who joins the party after saving her from being a sacrifice for a cult to water their crops with her blood.

Iceblocks: Hiver drone picked up in the swamps as a gunner. Later shoots Lela in the chest for 125 damage.

: Skeleton found after traveling the entire map for one skeleton recruit

SquirrelGrip: Greenlander rescued from being skinned alive from skin bandits. Lost both legs, still didn't want to join so was thrown into a Goontang gulag until they were ready to join.

That Guy Bob: Second crab friend picked up in the Pits.

Rockopolis: Second pack bull picked up in the Pits.

: Mcclay: Security spider picked up from the secret drug farm because I couldn't find a skeleton recruit

Ruzihm: Hiver gunner picked up in the swamps.

Angry Lobster: Skeleton recruit ( :v: ) found in a river by Rebirth, joined after saying we'll defend him from the HN

: Hiver smuggler picked up from a waystation, needed to dip after a run in with a snitch.

Power Walrus: Hiver cook picked up in the swamps. Pimped out his skills at cooking just to be a gunner.

: Volmarias: Picked up from the Shek kingdom after delivering one of the High Inquisitors

Thyrok: Old man picked up at Mongrel. Enjoys talking about the good ol' days.

Waiting to be named (If you requested and your name isn't on here, you've been named in a future update):

All goons named!

Major Factions

The Holy Nation

A highly religious society ruled by a self proclaimed Phoenix, who is a reincarnation of the first ruler of the kingdom. They worship the deity known as Okran, while condemning the deity Narko. They are a very helpful faction who provide food and medical assistance to the needy.... if you're male and a Greenlander. They are extremely xenophobic, hating every non Greenlander race and especially Skeletons. They also dislike women, and only tolerate women of their own race. Narko is described as a temptress, and any women who act out are thought to be tainted by this deity. They are so heavily religious that it is required to keep a copy of their holy text on you, and if you were to build in their territory they send a patrol over every now and then for "prayer day". If you don't have a male Greenlander with a bible on hand, they don't like it.

The faction is heavily militarized, patrols constantly keep peace in their territory which makes bandits a rare sight in their lands. They often wear plate armor and used weapons known as "Hackers" They have mines and farms around their land, farmers are typically women while miners are slave labor. This faction is practically at war with every other faction, giving us plenty of potential allies against this faction.

The United Cities

A highly capitalistic society where nobles rule and poverty is outlawed. The faction is led by Emperor Tengu, along with an inner circle of of nobles that rule over each city. The Empire is big on slavers like the Holy Nation, but unlike the Holy Nation they use slaves as a means of profit. Because of this anti slavery is considered terrorism in UC lands. The Traders Guild also resides in UC lands who engage in trade with far off lands. Due to the corruption and extreme takes on poverty, the UC lands is full of rebels and vagrants who had to escape the cities and take up banditry to survive. The military is corrupt, the nobles hunt peasants for sport, money is power in the land of the UC.

The faction is however the most racially diverse of the 3 factions, and owns the most land compared to the other 2. While they would be good allies against the Holy Nation, their acceptance of slavery is discouraging.

Notable Minor Factions (there is so many minor factions it isn't worth mentioning them all)

Rebirth Slaves

Slaves of the slave mine Rebirth. They are expected to perform ceaseless labor, only given enough food to survive, to help build a statue of Okran. Through this labor they are to be "purged" and rebirth into a male Greenlander to serve Okran.

Our first 4 party members start as Rebirth Slaves and made their escape.

Mongrel

Made up of outlaws, escapees from the Holy Nation and other vagrants, this faction makes its base in the center of the Fog Islands. We buy a house there to lay low from the Holy Nation.

Shinobi Thieves

A group of thieves who have a hideout in several towns. For a one time payment of 10k, the party can get free beds, some low level training, access to a plastic surgeon and a trader, on top of allies.

Flotsam Ninjas

A group of freedom fighters, hostile to the Holy Nation. They help slaves who escape Rebirth and keep the cannibals to the north in check. The party allies with them to fight the Holy Nation.

Cannibals

Very friendly group, loves making house calls, invites you over as dinner. Live in the northern area of the map.

City Heroes League

A group of vigilantes who hate anyone who isn't a human. Would probably love the Holy Nation. Upon spotting Beep they talked poo poo, then they got hit.

Manhunters/Slave Hunters/Slave Traders

A collective of slavers who will hunt down escaped slaves, will kidnap KO'd people to sell as slaves and will attack people accusing them of being slaves. As ex slaves, the party doesn't take kindly to them...

Anti Slavers

A group of abolitionists who want to end the slavery that is practiced in UC territory. Led by a martial artist robot who is totally cool.

Crab Raiders

A group of crab fanatics. Hail the crab. Befriend the crab. Worship the crab.

Reavers

Anti imperialists who want to overthrow the nobility in UC lands. Enslaves people to fight for them.

Skeleton Bandits

Collection of humans who believe they're Skeletons, wearing full plate armor and masks. Led by a skeleton who just wants to see people kill one another.

Skin Bandits

Skeletons who believe they're humans, wearing full human skin. Likes to kidnap people for their stylish flesh. Led by a human who has gone insane.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 30, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rebirth

Welcome to Kenshi, the title screen says it all. Desert and the odd building. And thats the fun!

Selecting new game we get a choice between several starts, each with a different type of difficulty. The normal start is a wanderer who gets some pocket change and a sword, or you can be a group of freedom seekers who start with a bunch of building material, or a person who finds a dog and you're both starving, or even a person who is starving, broke, in the middle of the desert and is missing an arm!

Our start is gonna be what I consider the "pro strat" start, the slaves start. This starts us off with 2 characters in a slave camp.

There is some advance options we can tweak. I am gonna stick with mostly default options, I am gonna lower (I know the number is higher, but thats how it works) the hunger rate by 33%. Sadly hunger is one of those game mechanics where at the start its a constant threat but after that its a constantly nagging bar.

This loading screen of a dog gives us a valuable tip, that we can pick the lock of slave shackles. There is some neat artwork in the loading screens, I'll show them whenever a new one shows up while playing.

Meet the character creator screen. We can change a bunch of options about our character, but honestly I mostly stick with the defaults. Lela is definitely not an anagram of Leal.

We can choose several races with different effects, but I'll be sticking as a greenlander. Its the most basic race that gives an xp bonus to cooking, science and farming. They have no penalties. Now onto the second character...

Ibblebibble! A goon who helped me through my Neptunia LP, he is sorta like family to me. An LP family group, which gives him priority. Hm.. giving priority to a person within your family, there is a term for that but I can't think of it right now.

Anyways, I just use his Final Fantasy 14 character as reference, by which I mean I just made the hair color match as best as I can. There is a reason why both characters are female its definitely not a fetish thing

We start in a stony area, a tower in front of us. The game recommended we do something at the start, to avoid a beating.

Right. By holding right click over things we get a menu like this to do certain things, and being able to select different actions if there are different ones on the menu.

Just a tip, generally it isn't a good idea to jump into prisoner cages.

We make it in the cages in time, as a guard runs out of the tower and yells out about how we are escapees. Something I should mention about this game is jank, and I think the reason we have to do all this is because the engine can't handle already placing us in cages. I could be completely wrong on this however.

The guard shaves Ibble's hair and gives himher the run down (hey uh Ibble if you want a more feminine name for your Kenshi self lemme know)

: You serve the Holy Nation now. I am freeing you of your possessions and your name. You will have a higher destiny, cleansed of darkness. Repent for your sins. Devote your soul to the cause of Light. And you will be shown mercy.... Only heretics disobey their masters, only heretics defy Okran's will. Try to escape and you will be purged in flame.
(The symbol is the flag for the Holy Nation, which I will use whenever someone from that faction speaks)

Meet the Holy Nation, our new owners. The Holy Nation is a highly religious faction, worshiping their god known as Okran. Their own form of satan being known as Narko. Surely a highly religious group will be helpful and kind to others and not in any way bad people. Clearly we are slaves because we did something wrong beforehand, like in <insert Elder Scrolls game here>

Look who still gets to keep their hair :smuggo: Since we are now slaves we automatically perform labor, namely mining, refining materials and servicing a well. We randomly move between jobs, though a pro strat is to click somewhere near your character which will make your character move to a different job zone. Mining will increase our labor skill, running between spots will increase athletics, and I want to prioritize athletics first.

Note that you CAN decide to stop working... and then get beat for it. This can also happen if you click too far away from your character, the guards will accuse you of trying to escape and beat you for it.

Here is an overview of the mining pit, and the statue we are supposedly gathering materials to build. Lets take a look at the UI on the bottom (there is a lot so feel free to skip :v: ):

1 (from top to bottom): Our slave status, as we are active slaves we are shown as such. If we escape we are marked as an escaped slave, this has game effects such as the faction who owns us attacking on sight and bringing back here.
The selected character's name and the faction they belong to (as we are unnamed, our faction is simply Nameless).
State is the "mode" the character is in, the goal is what they're currently out to do, encumbrance is how weighed down they are and "labouring" is whatever skill is being used. So moving between jobs would have that say athletics, if we are picking locks it'll show that, etc.
Then our fighting statistics, the weapon we are using (since we are unarmed its martial arts),strength, dexterity and toughness score, then our defensive stat (dodge if unarmed, melee defense if we had a weapon)

2: At the top is our "status", we are starving so we have the hungry status. This also lets us know if the character is KO'd, or bleeding, and other status effects.
Below that is the blood in our system and the health of each body part. Head chest and stomach are considered critical body parts, if they go below a certain point our character will get ko'd and will be in a coma until it raises above that threshold. Limbs getting knocked so low will make them unusable and risk getting dismembered.
And below that is the hunger meter. The highest point is 300, when it gets below 200 we start suffering malnutrition which lowers our stats. If we hit 85 we pass out, and die if it continues to lower. Note that eating doesn't instantly fill the hunger bar, it slowly goes up over time.

3: Our squad, the "nameless_0" is basically <faction name>_<squad number>, we can make multiple squads and switch by clicking on the tabs. Below that is our squad members.

4: Right of the squad menu is some tabs that open different menus:
INV: Inventory
STA: Statistics menu, shows our characters stats.
MAP: The map
TEC: Research menu, lets us pick what to research once we get a bench.
SQD: Squad, lets us create squads and move characters between squads.
HLP: Help menu, has tutorials

On the top bar, from the left, the floor selector. Changes between floors while in buildings that have multiple floors. Then we have the speed options, we can pause, go to normal speed then 2 faster options. Next we have our money, currently 0, the days our adventure has been going on for and the current time in game. The hammer icon is the build menu
Lower tab, starting on the left, is states we can put on our characters.
Block increases their block stat, but makes them never attack. Useful for unskilled characters in hopes you can get a tougher character to help them.
Hold makes them not move, useful for archers
Passive makes them not attack, useful for when you don't want your farmers running to the gates from their fields. Also makes them less likely to be targeted by attacks.
Jobs makes them do jobs you have assigned them or turns them off for a bit. Useful if you want someone to stop mining for a bit and don't want to have to manually select the mine again when you want them to do it again
Ranged makes them prefer to use their ranged weapon, if they have one equipped as well as a melee weapon.
Taunt makes them more likely to be targeted by enemies. Great for your "tank" characters
Sneak makes your character sneak.

To the right of that is our job menu, which works off a priority system. Since our character is a slave they automatically get assigned the obedient slave job. Disabling it is a great way to get our rear end kicked by guards. You can do things like assign someone to haul ore to a box, then assign them to mine ore. They will mine ore, and when an ore is gathered they will run to the box to drop it off, then go back to mining. Or you can flip it and they'll mine until the mine is full, then haul all the ore to the box. They will continue to do this until you tell them to stop.

Below that on the left is the speed option. We can make characters walk, run, sprint and go the highest speed of the slowest character in the group. There is no exhaustion so there really isn't a reason to not go with the last option, everyone moves as fast as they can but wont leave anyone behind.

To the right of that is Rescue, which makes the character pick up any squaddies that are ko'd to a bed. Medic makes them automatically run to squaddies and use medkits to heal them. Prospect shows nearby fertility and resources.

This is the statistics menu, we can see all of our character's stats. I'll assume you can figure out what skills means what. Weapon skills increase the damage using the weapon, combat skills increases how well we attack or defend, precision shooting makes it less likely to shoot friendlies and assassination isn't killing people but rather knocking them out. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Oh dammit, lost my hair :saddowns: Also in the back a guard is preaching at a Shek, a demihuman.

: What are you? Confess your true nature, beast!

: A foreign beast.... A darkened being of Narko...

: And tell me, what is your purpose, beast?

: An unholy one must be rebirthed to serve the cause of Okran. Lest they join the cause of darkness.

: Good, beast. Good.

: Love and devotion to the Holy Lord Phoenix Himself...

: Love and devotion to Okran.

At 22:00 all the slaves are brought into their cages for the night, until 5 the next day.

We can take this time to grind up our lock picking skill, picking both our shackles and the cage we are in. Whats nice about Kenshi is that you actually learn from your failures. So we have less then 10% chance (ignore that it says 20%, its not applying the "in a cage" debuff) to pick the lock and each time we fail we earn experience in lock picking.

Ibble gets to stay in a cage in a comfy house, meanwhile I'm outdoors on a pole. It aint right I tell ya. The pole also has a lock on it by the way.

Next morning I open up the stone mines and grab a few piles of stone out of it. We train strength by moving around while weighed down, the shackles are pretty heavy and these stones will weigh us down some more. Since we automatically move it isn't so bad, I'm basically alt tabbing constantly.

Sadly when we are set to work at this refining station the stone is removed from the inventory to be used. I'd like to note though that on the whole, slavery labor is "fake". So the stone mines do generate stone, but they're never removed. They eventually get full but slaves will still mine at them, and they operate these refineries without any materials and thus, never produce anything in them. Unless we happen to have stone in the inventory in which case a building material is made.

Uh oh, we are dangerously low on the hunger meter. When this happens the game puts yellow stripes on the character's thumbnail. Now since we are slaves, our hunger wont hit below 115. This basically maximizes the starvation debuff but doesn't allow us to get ko'd. Another reason slave start is a pro strat, no worries about food while you afk grind athletics and labor.

Night 2 and Ibble is on the roof of a building surrounded by other slaves. I make her enter stealth mode in the cage and she starts getting ridiculous xp for it. In the time I hit stealth and then pause she gained 5 levels in stealth. There is something about stealthing in cages that give insane stealth xp gains.

Look at this, at the end of the night she hit level 58, out of 100! I think its a combination of the game giving xp for each of the nearby slaves, but also due to the hunger, shackles and being in a cage makes her have effectively 0 stealth, which makes the game go haywire in giving xp. So each night its basically sitting in stealth mode while gaining stealth levels.

This could be an exploit but I mean, stealth is about not being seen. And what is more stealthy then being shackled in a cage AND NO ONE KNOWS THAT YOU'RE THERE?!

Here is a shot of an exit path from the camp. Though it is the most defensive portion, besides there being a barracks tower up here there is also the HQ for the camp up here, with 2 sets of gates meaning there is 2 sets of gate guards nearby, and the walls are staffed by mounted crossbows. For whatever reason though there is a well up here that the slaves service.

Next night and I wanted to show the hilarity of every slave attempting to go into the same cage at night then rushing out of the building when the cage gets filled.

That night with Ibble's stealth skill I break out of the cage and drop the shackles to the floor. Needless to say, darkness helps with stealth. Time to grind assassination, we do this by trying to KO people while in stealth mode.

Alright Ibble, his back is turned to you, its dark. Just walk up behind him and clonk him in the back of his metal helmet wearing head.

Thats it, just walk up an- aaaggghh what the gently caress is wrong with your body?!

Welp, rip Ibble. The guards are shouting things like "How dare you hit me woman!". So yeah, the Holy Nation is a group who hates other races and women. I'd make the joke but I know you're all making it already.

Despite failing Ibble gained about 4 levels of assassination off that single attempt. It'll slow down as she gets levels in it, but for now constantly failing to knock out guards will be part of the night schedule.

Well, if nothing else after getting hacked away the guards will patch you up before throwing you back into a cage. See the thing with the guards is that they're so devout to their god and trying to reincarnate people into good pure white greenlander males that they refuse to let you die until you fully repent and can be reincarnated properly. They straight up say things like "Its not your time yet".

Most games it would be considered a bad thing to lose and you would be smacking the quick load button. But Kenshi is a game about getting your rear end kicked over and over. Very rarely will you actually die, most enemies will loot your corpse and move on. Getting our rear end kicked increases the ever important toughness stat, which increases the threshold for being KO'd and also reduces damage taken.

Ibble got her stomach messed up, so she now holds it while walking. Characters will also nurse their leg or arm, or hold their chest or forehead.

In my case, I got my leg messed up and so I limp. This also effects walking speed and sneak, unsurprisingly.

Ibble is getting preached at.

: One day, woman will no longer walk unleashed. No longer will you taint and seduce your holy brethren! Repent! You must sweat Narko's darkness out from the depths of your being! Work 'til your fingers bleed. Work 'til you bleed tears of devotion for Okran!

Fun fact: Narko is Okran backwards!

So after a bit of getting my rear end kicked, the drat guards didn't patch me back up before throwing me into the cage.

Both legs are in the negatives, I can't stand and walk.

: What are you doing? Leave. You're not allowed here.

PATCH ME UP YOU FUCKERS :byodood:

Oh god dammit they threw me right back into the cage.

FINALLY. I was scared I was gonna end up bleeding to death.

.... And now they wont put me back into the cage. So I'm gonna get my rear end kicked as soon as I get out of the recovery coma :shepface:

Recovery comas happen when your head, chest or stomach are below your KO threshold. You gain consciousness when you get above that threshold.

On the plus side I'm getting some toughness training :v:

Speaking of, whenever we get thrown back into the cage without shackles the guards will slap another pair on us. Each one is 20kg, so I pick up a few I left on the floor for strength training.

Another gate, on the northern side of the camp. Leads straight up into the hills, there are some stone mines out here that the slaves mine. It isn't a bad idea to take off the shackles when you're mining out here and run for the hills...

Another path, on the west and up the hill, is another exit. There is a wall nearby however, something to keep in mind.

So a way to cheese assassination training is to try and ko a sleeping guard, then go into the cage before they attack you. They'll turn around and go right back to bed.

This hunger thing is a bit much. There is some cooked veggies sitting tantalizingly in a corner of Ibble's building. Holding alt will show items on the ground, ones with red around them are owned items and its considered stealing when you grab them. Stolen items shouldn't be sold to the faction you stole them from (you'll get caught and a bounty placed on you), also they are worth half the selling price.

I'm getting the business now from a guard.

: Woman must be tamed, she must be put to work so that she has the strength to defeat the darkness in her heart! Lest she seduce and tempt the purity of man into the darkness with her! A daughter of Narko must live a life of restraint and discipline....

One night I go and steal everything inside of the building. I then check myself into a cage and proceed to drop it all...

You can grind thievery (skill that makes it easier to steal items with people nearby) by dropping stolen stuff and picking them back up.

Picking these things up, dropping them and grabbing them again gets 6 levels of thievery. Depending on your patience you can abuse this to get all the way to 100. Not that thievery is exactly useful if you just KO everyone in the building...

Alright Ibble, we got this. 2 sleeping guards in the building, we just gotta sneak up on them and knock them out.

Dammit Ibble!

While Ibble is getting her rear end beat by the guard, I steal the weapon from the one I KO'd. The weapons the Holy Nation uses are hackers. They're like blunt and saber hybrids, doing roughly equal blunt and cut damage.

Welp, I couldn't manage to KO the guy as he was fighting Ibble and he knocked us both out. I get thrown into a cage and patched up...

: I am so dead

(Thumbnail is from a future update, sorry for the spoilers)

If a character is knocked down but recovers from the KO, they will "play dead" so the enemy ignores them. If you instead make them move they'll "get up" which makes them say something and gives them a good chunk of xp in toughness. It gave Ibble about 4 levels worth.

Of course she still gets smacked down :v:

Yeah that is some pretty good toughness xp.

One final gate here, at the north. Its basically above the other northern gate, again leading up into the hills.

Assassination training pays off and we can get about 60% success in KO'ing the guards. I take the weapon and armor off this guard and throw it into a nearby container.

Like so, then I throw my shackles onto him....

And toss him into the cage!

Ibble manages the same in her building.

Hilariously enough, another guard comes in and proceeds to shave the imprisoned guard and does the "You belong to Okran now" spiel.

Yep, he is now considered a slave by his own faction! He will do labor and be subjected to the same things as us. This game is great.

This guard starts following Ibble...

Like everywhere, the entire day he is right behind Ibble and talking about how it is in a woman's nature to be lazy.

Then I realize this guard doesn't have his weapon on him, think he may be harboring a grudge?

I start making moves to stockpile food and get our characters fully fed. We are nearing the start of the 3rd week here, and up one of the barracks is the gear from someone else who was imprisoned here. It seems they actually take stuff and put them in containers around the camp.

Ibble finds some real goodies. Food has nutritional value, cooked veggies has a value of 25 but these foodcubes that were found has a value of 75 value.

Speaking of food, I remove clothes just to show how our character looks while they're completely malnourished. The game actually changes their appearance its not a fetish thing.

Weirdly enough, all the other slaves are in a faction called "Rebirth Slaves", but this guy is from the Holy Nation Outlaws. Also he isn't wearing the usual robes that everyone else has. I guess this guy was patrolling near the camp and got jumped and imprisoned by the Holy Nation.

Alright, its time to bust out of here. We are no longer malnourished and as such have our full stats. We can pick locks of the other prisoners and they may thank us and run off, which can provide a distraction for the gate guards...

... They might instead freak out and refuse to attempt an escape. Typically if they don't say anything when you pick either the lock or the shackles (you need to do both to free them) they wont attempt an escape. Just move on and save your time.

But what we are looking for are the ones who want to escape with us. This gives the bonus of having a group who will escape through the gate we want to go through, and with a group its more people to tangle up with the guards.

I manage to get a group of about 4, I go through the cages outside of buildings cause I don't want the prisoners to aggro the guards inside the building with their lovely stealth skills. With these 4 we move on up

We make our move on the gate guards :getin:

As I drag off those 2 guards, a Hive Drone that I freed decides to run through this gate.

Well you tried bud. If only you tried a bit later when my entourage got up here so you could distract the guards from us.

Uh oh. Throwing 4 guards into cages (the 2 I knocked out were brought down to the cages so I don't have to worry about them waking back up) has made the faction overtly hostile. Normally once we get rid of our slave status they'll forget about us, but now they'll continue to hate us beyond that.

I was trying to find my group and found them still down here for some reason. I think maybe I move too fast and their path finding is getting jacked from it. So I slowly move up back to the gate...

And I ko another guard, which makes the AI followers stand up to loot him, which takes them out of stealth mode, which aggros the gate guards :shepicide:

Have fun with them nerds! We book it out of there.

To note, on the wall up here is a few mounted crossbows. Thankfully they are unmanned, I assume they're only manned during the day.

You don't have to be the fastest, you just have to be faster then the slowest guy. Though it certainly helps!

I try and recover one KO'd prisoner, which brings up this guard. Thankfully we managed to KO him while he was fighting someone else.

The prisoner is wounded, I take the first aid kit off the guard and use it to patch her up. Then I pick her up and walk with her away from the camp.

Field medic effects how fast we heal with medkits, higher skill lets us get more mileage out of our medkits. There are different types of kits that have more charges in them. All the guards have basic kits, not a bad idea to grab a few extra after KO'ing them...

Dammit, in the time it took to patch up this prisoner the guard woke up and started chasing us. Always leave someone behind.

One of the prisoners gets excited about making it out, while we still have 2 guards on us. That is currently fighting said prisoner :v:

Thanks pal! We leave that prisoner with the 2 guards and continue running.

We get far enough for the rest of the prisoners to claim that they're free. One of them runs off and tells us they wont forget this.

One of the Sheks stays with us however. Part of the reason I went with Greenlanders is that typically the Shek prisoners are more likely to join. I set down the other prisoner and...

She also joins us! Wasn't expecting that, now I feel foolish bringing in 2 Greenlanders. Prisoners joining you is RNG, sometimes you get none and as many as 5. If you want to be a dirty cheater you can save scum until they join.

A big bon- Is the Shek seriously named Neko? I thought I got away from anime games!

Anyways a big perk to breaking out prisoners is that they start with some pretty decent starter stats. Looks like Truth will be taking on medic duties. Neko having such low strength and toughness is mind boggling however, but high dexterity. This would make her better with crossbows, but Sheks are the typical warrior race who value strength above all. Except she has NEGATIVE perception, which effects accuracy! Man the RNG was not kind here....

The starter characters are gonna be great ninja characters. Who needs weapons when you can sneak up behind someone and clonk them on the head? I'll be keeping them unarmed, I want them carrying as little as possible so they can move faster.

Well here we are, the world of Kenshi is open before us. We'll need to get out of Holy Nation territory, but beyond that the world is our oyster.

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 21, 2019

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's awesome to see someone LPing this. The jank is real, but there's no other game like it and it is amazing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a glimpse of this in the Sand Castle, I'm excited to follow along!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In short, if you take the right start you play through Conan the barbarian's origin story.

I saw this game a few times before and it looked like it should be an alpha release at best.
Your explanation didn't convince me otherwise.
I suppose this is what Slaves to Armok would have become in a wired parallel universe.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What have you done to my hair.

Also I'd like to think that Ibblebibble is a gender-neutral name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

I suppose this is what Slaves to Armok would have become in a wired parallel universe.

The thread for Kenshi says it best: You mixed Rimworld, Mount and Blade and Dwarf Fortress together. It is jank supreme.

Ibblebibble posted:

What have you done to my hair.

Also I'd like to think that Ibblebibble is a gender-neutral name.

Sadly there was no Sailor Moon Bun hair option. And I may change it to Ibblebibbla

Anticheese posted:

It's awesome to see someone LPing this. The jank is real, but there's no other game like it and it is amazing.

I seem to have an affinity with janky rear end games.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Annnnd subbed.

I am intrigued by the premise of this game, but I would probably get really frustrated playing it so I am glad I get to see it edited.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your basic game plan for the beginning of the game? Considering you have 'destroy an empire' as a goal, I am curious about the actual steps in planning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Dear loving Christ Leal you are insane for tackling this game

please post more

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A janky open world post apocalyptic game!?

I am intrigued.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't realize Kenshi was squad based. I thought you only had the one guy. Maybe at one point in development that's how it was. I can't believe it's actually...done?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I can't wait to see what shenanigans you guys get into.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Seems quite interesting, but probably frustrating - exactly the right kind of game to be LP’d for the rest of us to enjoy. Cool.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Game looks nuts. Those emaciated character models are pretty horrifying.

I hope the thread title means you can hand-craft a Hanzo steel katana out of scrap metal with an edge so sharp it can cut God and then use it to beat up dinosaurs or something. If so please do that ASAP, thanks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is your basic game plan for the beginning of the game? Considering you have 'destroy an empire' as a goal, I am curious about the actual steps in planning.

At the start its pretty much training, gathering up a party, training, getting some good gear and of course, getting our rear end kicked over and over. This game has events play out depending on the status of unique NPCs, so destroying the empire will be killing off the various leaders in that faction.

megane posted:

Game looks nuts. Those emaciated character models are pretty horrifying.

I hope the thread title means you can hand-craft a Hanzo steel katana out of scrap metal with an edge so sharp it can cut God and then use it to beat up dinosaurs or something. If so please do that ASAP, thanks

Much like how getting beat over and over is the path to power, the path to being a good weaponsmith requires making enough crappy weapons to arm a nation.

Anyone up for taking character names? The changes will happen after update 3, but as of right now I need names for 2 Greenlanders, a Shek and a Skeleton.

Truth is one of the greenlanders, who will be using a sabre which is a defensive weapon. The other Greenlander will also take up medic duties like Truth, and also be using a sabre

The Shek is Neko, who, stats be dammed, will be wielding a heavy weapon

As for the Skeleton, Skeletons are robots, who will be using polearms.

I'll also take names for future recruits, I'm looking to have a main party that makes up 12 or so members. Then we'll probably have another 6 people who are to be laborers and another 6 to be defensive guards for the laborers.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 15, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I'll just suggest a name in general and let you pick someone to give it to if you like it

Sandalphonse (hopefully it doesn't hit some length-cap, but if it does Sandal Fonz also works)

e: by the way, in my headcanon the saga of Lela and Ibblebibble's escape from the Okran Empire is a metaphor for your escape from the grasp of Hyperdimension Neptunia

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 15, 2019

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I love LPs of weird, janky games like this. Following for certain.

The utter difference between the starter characters and the joined prisoners is kind of amusing. Though Neko just got screwed in general, even if truth looks pretty amazing overall.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll sign up as Turtlicious I'm ok with being anything that'll some get attention.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 15, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Signing up as CommissarMecha, who I'd like to be a Skeleton, funnily enough.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh this game. It's... a thing. That is for sure.

Aw what the hell, Drakenel signing up to get my rear end beat by Okranites over and over. Don't care what character I am.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: by the way, in my headcanon the saga of Lela and Ibblebibble's escape from the Okran Empire is a metaphor for your escape from the grasp of Hyperdimension Neptunia

There is never any escaaaaaaaaaape

Keldulas posted:

The utter difference between the starter characters and the joined prisoners is kind of amusing. Though Neko just got screwed in general, even if truth looks pretty amazing overall.

I really thought Truth and Neko's stats were flipped. I'm so surprised at the stats she got, all the Sheks I had in the past were typically good in strength and toughness but Neko is just... wow.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Sign me up as Average Lettuce! I'll be anything available.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

There is never any escaaaaaaaaaape

Well they are going back there... with a vengeance! :black101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mongrel

First thing before continuing now that we're out of prison is to import. Importing effectively resets the entire world but lets you keep your characters, stats, etc. Useful in the event of modding as you wont have to completely restart like a Bethesda rpg.

We get some options on what to import, we can reset our research progress, buildings we've built, fix relations or bring back dead unique NPCs. This includes unique recruits, say if they happened to die to no fault of your own before you can recruit them. This also resets containers and items in buildings.

As to why I'm doing this? Every time I did a slaver start and escape every town in game will be completely empty of NPCs. So I'm doing this now. Since it refreshes loot I don't want people to think I'm a filthy cheater.

Loading tip lets us know this, and its true. If you are a non green/scorchlander and don't have any male greenlanders in your party to pose as your master, the Holy Nation (HN from now on) will attack you on sight. ESPECIALLY if you're a "skeleton", which are robots. I think female humans are ok if there is no demihumans or skeletons in the party.

We left off just outside of Rebirth, at the start of the game we got a notification that we discovered a place called Lonely Shack. When you get so close to settlements or areas of interest you will get a pop up like that, which is nice since we don't need to be extremely close to a landmark. We'll go ahead and start running there.

Lets talk about one of our new party members, Neko. She is a Shek who are a warrior race. Sheks get a bonus to earning XP for melee attack, strength and toughness, but they get an experience penalty to athletics, dexterity, dodge, farming, labor, robotics, science, stealth and thievery. Which makes Neko's highest attribute being dexterity mind boggling.

While they get a simple xp bonus to learning things, Shek make solid warriors because they also get 125 hitpoints per body part, where Greenlanders only have 100. Shek do eat about 25% more often however. There is no finite skill gain or anything to make training harder, minus the racial xp penalties, so there is nothing stopping us from making Neko a ninja or having Lela and Ibble be sword masters who can also sneak.

As we wind out of the canyon we see a house off in the distance.

Getting close and clicking on it, the area is changed from Lonely Shack to Flotsam Safehouse, owned by the Flotsam Ninjas. Well I imagine they wont mind if we walk on in...

No one inside, but there are goodies spread about the building and in several containers. Food and some alcoholic drinks are around. We don't drink, alcohol is simply for selling. We grab whatever is available.

Don't need all 4 characters up and about, we can sit on the stools and there are 2 beds here. Resting on beds gives an 8 times multiplier to healing, so I put Truth on the bed as she got pretty messed up by the guards. Ibble also sleeps as she took a hit. An extra perk is that while sleeping their hunger meters decay slower.

Containers contain more food, sleeping bags (portable beds but they only give a 4 times healing multiplier), clothes and bandages. There is also a note in here.

So Flotsam Ninjas are the rebel group mentioned in the slaver start description, they try to help slaves who escape from the Holy Nation.

Also Poncy is a fun word, more people should use it.

Well we are looking less like slaves already, wearing some trader's leathers and a tshirt. Lela still has some head damage so she's got a sizable bruise on her head.

In the corner of the building is a locked weapon locker, inside of it is a ninja blade, which is a katana. I throw it onto Truth as she has some good skill with it. Neko has a cleaver from the HN guards, and Lela and Ibble are going to be martial artists.

We begin heading westward, moving as far away from Rebirth as possible. In universe it is known there is a place to the west that is free from slavery.

: An Ancient place this, we should be careful. It's probably crawling with spiders.

Characters will say things from time to time, especially when entering different areas. Its great, it shows that your characters know whats going on in their own world. I always prefer this style of story telling, the type of listening in and learning things based off what you hear as opposed to running down a who/what/where/when/why. Even worse when games make your character a fish out of water or an amnesic or just a moron who doesn't know how their own world works.

The thumbnails are taken from later on in the update, I apologize for spoiling future events.

We enter a new area, the floodlands. Its raining which doesn't effect us in the slightest. Some weather has an effect on characters, but rain is one of the benign ones. Gotta be cautious though, sometimes there is acid rain here which is dangerous.

The floodlands is aptly named, besides the constant rain there is water all over the area. Plenty of wrecked buildings as well, but beyond that not much happens as we trek through.

We continue west then swing south toward this valley. Don't mind the ruins on the map, its just a destroyed tower with nothing in it.

Quite foggy, probably be the best place to get out of Holy lands and stay low for a while. Gotta stay sharp though, so far we haven't run into anything. We really don't want to run into the spiders that Lela was talking about.

Especially with all these blind spots here. Welcome to Obedience

: What the...

Uuuuhhh

uuuuuhhhhhh. Well then, thats unsettling. We should probably.. move on.

We head past... that... And into the Fog Islands. I wonder why it is named as such.

: We should try to stay up high, out of the fog.

Sounds legit. We also get notified we discovered a place called Mongrel.

Its a city! We start heading that way, making sure to keep clear of the animal print icon on the map. Those are where creatures keep nests, and usually they're hostile.

Off in the distance we see it, a walled city. So far its still been quiet..

Until we run into this hostile naked Hive with a stick. Its a 4 on 1 beatdown so I'm sure you know how this went. Well that wasn't so bad, why should we keep out of the fog-

.... oooooooooohhh

Well this is now 6 on 4, they are named "Fogman Heavy" with one of them being a "Fogman Prince". Fogmen are a collection of Hivers who live in the Fog Island, they are pretty weak individually but they have strength in numbers. You'll fight a few off and well... Look at the gif above.

A single swing of the Heavy hits the entire party for about 30 damage so...

Oh that pathfinding AI~

Oh god, Neko got knocked out. They clonked her on the head, then left her to chase the rest of the party. At least they didn't pick her up and ran off.

HELPHELPOHFUCKMYFRIENDISDEADHELP

Thankfully this new group isn't hostile and they proceed to wipe the floor with the Fogmen. These guys are called Shinobi Guards.

Lela quickly runs back down and grabs Neko, running her back to the gate to get healed by Truth.

: What can you tell me about this place?

: People don't make a habit of visiting here. If you're lucky enough to make it to Mongrel, you're stuck in Mongrel. The plus side? No one will find you in this town... if you got someone to hide from, that is. 'Round here you'll find mostly outlaws and ex-slaves.

: Stuck here huh... Any survival advice?

: If you're staying? Keep your head down. If you're heading out? Well you should avoid the Deathyards altogether. The mist tends to... swallow travelers up, shall we say? Same goes for the floodlands up north. If you make it out of the mist, that is. People who go to the floodlands... they don't come back.

: What happens to people in the Deathyards?

: No one really knows. Some reckon it's to do with evil spirits, and then you got others who believe in the curse of the mist: people get lost, lose their sanity and starve to death.

: What about the Floodlands?

: A place where adventurers and treasure hunters go and never come back from, like always, the idiots. Some say the killer machines get to 'em. But me? I reckon all those missing people saw somethin' they weren't supposed to see...

: Thanks for the warning. I'll be careful.

:No problem. Welcome to Mongrel, island of the outcast.

Welp, looks like we'll be here for a while. As said, Mongrel guards are beasts. You gotta be to live in a city smack dab in the middle of a bunch of cannibals. As long as we stay inside the walls we will be safe.

Welcome to Mongrel, place has quite a few buildings around. General, weapon, armor, ranger, boot and clothing traders, a robotics trader, a building trader and 3 bars. We'll go ahead and take a seat in a bar. We can hold alt and see yellow signs outside of buildings, letting us know that they're buildings of interest.

Well we have a guy saying "Wree wree" over and over again. I hope thats the drink.

: Don't mind him, he lost his mind long ago... Driven crazy by the fog, poor guy. Who knows what he's been through out there in the Deathyards.

Keep in mind what the guy was saying, it may come up later.

The barkeep will sell and buy stuff with us, and thankfully Kenshi is a game where traders will buy anything. We sell the sake and rum we got from the Flotsam house, along with the stick I took off that one Fogman.

Now that we got some cash, we need to sleep. The bar does offer beds for 50 Cats (the currency), but for all 4 of us that'll be 200 C or about 10% of our cash.

Instead I click on random buildings until I find this shack, that we can buy for 2k cats. Buying houses gives us a place we can build stuff in like say beds and chests.

Comfy, reminds me of the bedroom I rented in Sacramento.

By pressing B we can enter the build menu, which lets us build things we have researched. At the start we can only build basic things like campfires, bedrolls, our own shack and a basic research bench. I place down 3 bedrolls that we found at the Flotsam house.

Note that we can only build in houses we own or out in the wilderness away from towns or other buildings. This includes bedrolls.

The characters have to add materials (in this case, bedrolls) before they work on building the item. I take our 3 most wounded members and have them rest. Being in town we wont have to worry about enemies-

.... There is a creeper standing right outside the shack going "...."

Anyways, we are now labeled as ex slaves. In theory we would be able to walk around HN lands, assuming we aren't discovered, if we weren't hostile with them. After enough time passes we'll lose it all together. There are slavers and manhunters out in the world, be cautious around them when you got this tag.

I head outside and use prospect to check for mining areas. North of Mongrel there is some great spots for copper and iron. Copper is what we want, copper sells for more then iron. Best of all its close to the gate.

Prospecting also shows other resources like stone, which is refined into building materials, water, that you build wells to get for use in farms, and fertility which makes more crops grow in your farms. Environment shows what biome the area is, which effects what crops can be grown. Wind speed shows how fast the wind blows, which is useful for wind turbines.

The map size in prospecting is determined by your character's science skill.

I set Lela and Ibble to gather copper while Neko and Truth rest. Clicking on the copper mine, in this case some piece of machinery, will show a progress bar and an inventory slot that fills with copper as the bar is filled. The mine can only hold 5 copper before the miners have to stop. I collect a good amount of copper and head back-

He's following us

Running into the building and shutting the door behind us, I sell our copper and buy a few boxes of "building materials". Copper sells for 190 C here and building materials cost 107 C.

Bringing these back to the shack I build a level 1 tech bench, costing 3 materials. Note that we can only build these indoors, while we could build bedrolls both inside and out.

Opening the research menu, we can pick what to research, see a description for it, how long it'll take and any costs to research it. I queue up everything we can research for now and set Truth to use the bench.

With some extra money I head on in to the boot shop. Besides boots they also sell backpacks, which I opt out of for now. No what I came here for are...

:getin: Pro strat foot items right here, anything to help you run faster in Kenshi is a Good Thing. Sure it has zero protection, but gotta go fast!

I put them on Lela and Ibble and head out east, to the edge of the fog. I put them in stealth and their high score should keep them from being spotted by the Fogmen...

Buuut when your sneak score is so high you do the Naruto run and its actually faster then moving out of sneak mode. This game is great.

At the edge of the fog we come across a Holy Mine, still HN territory. We happen upon a slave attempting to escape and a slaver beating her down.

Waiting till it starts getting dark I go to move in... and the gate is locked for some reason. Weird, this has never happened before.

We head into a building that is called the general storage. There is a guard inside that I ko, and we start ransacking the building. I grab building materials and iron plates, any loose Cats in containers I also grab.

In the next building over I find the slave and steal their backpack. Backpacks, beyond the extra inventory space, will also lower the weight of items put in them. They do have some negatives with stealth, combat and dodging, so keep that in mind.

Also in the general storage building are a bunch of books that I stuff into the backpack. Books are used for research, and we are gonna need a lot of them.

On the way back to Mongrel we come across a Deathyard. Poles with skulls on them and prisoner poles, along with campfires. Ghastly.

With the building materials I build a food storage and a general storage chest. The food storage will hold food, and whenever our characters get hungry they will automatically run to the container to eat. This frees up inventory space and lets us be relatively hands off with food, just gotta make sure its full.

The general chest will hold whatever with a decent amount of space. On top of this items can stack to a certain amount, like we can fit 4 building materials in the space 1 normally takes up. This frees up more space. To build these we need to research storage containers.

Oh god he's around the corner, quickly into the clothing shop!

Alright we got out of our slave rags, we need to go out and make some more money though for food. We're already running low-

: What?

: Sorry, I beep when I'm nervous.

: That's a bit weird.

: They exiled me from the Hive.

: I don't blame them.

: I am defective. Not good for the Hive. But Beep doesn't give up! Beep is strong! Since I left the Hive I can feel my mind changing, the way I think, I feel free, having thoughts I never had before. I want freedom, but everywhere I go things try to kill me or chase me.

: Beep tires of running. Time to stab the things that chase me.

: *sigh* Another weak nobody. How much money do you want?

: Money? I don't know what that means.

: Welcome to the team! :buddy:

Well this guy has been following us, standing outside the shack constantly. Might as well give in. So Beep, what can you contribute to the team-

I have made a horrible mistake.

Alright Beep, time to earn your keep. Get out your magic pickaxe and get to work.

Oh god dammit, this never happened before we recruited you Beep!

HEEEEEEEEEELLLPPPPPP

So anyways, after we get our copper money (and selling all the sticks the Fogmen hoard was carrying) we stop by this watchtower near the gates. It is listed as Shinobi Thieves and we can talk to a boss man who is hanging outside.

: I want to join the Shinobi Thieves.

: You can join. For a fee.

: ... That's it? I don't have to complete a test or prove myself or something? (meta)

: Do I look like I've got time to handing out busy-work? No, this is a business we're running, not a social club. Just a one time membership fee, 10,000 Cats. So, what will it be? Do you want to join the guild?

: What do I get in return for all that money?

: You get yourself allies. We have hideouts like this in lots of major towns. We watch eachother's backs, Shinobi Thieves stick together. It's a safe heaven for you to rest and recover. We have specialist training equipment to use, you can sell your stolen items to our fence and he also sells some hard to find specialist equipment at a huge discount.

: Okay, sign me up.

And then the guy ran off with the money cause what else would you expect from a self declared thieves guild? Alright no that isn't what happens

: Welcome sister, to the Shinobi Thieves [-10,000 Cats]

So we get a LOT of perks for joining the thieves guild. We get free access to a plastic surgeon, which basically opens up the character editor again. We can change hair color, readjust body sliders and even change name. The only thing we can't do is change gender or race.

The crew gets their hair back, in Neko's case she gets her horns back. Don't ask. If we waited out the ex slave timer our hair would grow back as well, but I didn't want to wait.

As said we can rest here, so we get free access to beds for a proper 8x healing. On the very top of the tower there is a bunch of bedrolls if we need to rest up more then 3 people. On another floor there is several training devices: A dummy to train melee attack to 5, lockpick chests to train to 20 and a dummy to train assassination to 19. I don't feel like cross training Beep, Truth and Neko into those currently so I ignore it.

And then there is the Shinobi trader.

They sell items to you at half price... Unfortunately they also BUY things from you at half price. Just offload your poo poo elsewhere. For stolen things, I know when you steal something the price is automatically halved, I'm not sure if its halved additionally when selling to a fence. But since the fence takes 50% off legit merchandise, I just never bother selling things to them.

As said they carry some neat stuff, and again its half off. The important stuff they sell are thieve's backpacks, which are hilariously OP. They have sizable space, don't effect your dodge or sneak, and only the biggest one has a measly -2 modifier to your attack score while the smaller one has zero downsides. Well there is one "downside", and thats thief backpacks don't stack items, other backpacks do.

I grab black rags for Lela and Ibble and a ninja blade for Beep. He wanted to be a swordsman so we shall let him learn the way of the blade.

Alright Beep, you got a katana weapon and in badass techno samurai black leather. But your skill with the katana brings shame upon your ancestors!

Luckily there are some MK3 training dummies right up on top of the barracks. These train melee attack to 15, and its nice cause that means we wont have to bother teching up to there. This will let Beep get some training in safety. Just gotta be careful, since this isn't ours the Shinobi guards will get pissed if they see him using it. But they basically never go on the roof so....

While Beep is training and the rest of the team is gathering copper, I go into the faction screen. This lists all the factions we know and our relation to them. Bandits are generally always hostile, and the HN hates our guts. It is possible to ally with factions, usually by talking to someone and saying we support them. Another way I believe is to heal members of a faction. I'm not sure though cause I do try and patch up wounded Mongrel troops but it never goes up.

Allies will of course help us in battle, hostiles will attack us. If we were to build a base, depending on the location of the base and who is attacking you and the alignment of the stars allies may send a squad to support your base.

I change our clan name to Goonclan (later I switch it to Goontang Clan in honor of the goon Age of Wushu guild) for the time being, cause Goon(tang) Clan aint nothing to gently caress with. We'll hold votes to change it.

... Oh gently caress Beep what happened? drat, looking at all the guards hanging around the cage I guess they came up here to lock up a Fogman they beat down.

Thankfully Neko and Truth were locked up in the shack, cause they most likely would have joined the fight and that would be all bad. Ibble and Lela are out raiding that Holy Mine again, wouldn't have been a nice thing to return to.

As I was focusing on Ibble and Lela I didn't notice the guard giving Beep verbal warnings to back off. Which is nice that they do warn you first, it isn't an immediate beat down response.

And Beep now has a 500 Cat bounty. This will make him be attacked on sight and the guards will throw him into a cage until the bounty wears off. Since there are only 2 cages in town, and they're both being used up by Fogmen, they left Beep on the ground. As long as we keep the door shut they wont bother him. And he'll be resting and healing longer then a bounty this low will last.

But hey Beep is almost up to 15 melee attack :razz:

On the way back into Mongrel, we hear a commotion outside the city. Lots WREEEEE going on.

... Oh my god. An outlaw is tied up to a pole while a bunch of Fogmen are worshiping the pole....

As a prince EATS THE PRISONER ALIVE :gonk:

Lela and Ibble move in. Lela got busted though and pulls off a good amount of Fogmen. Ibble manages to get up to the pole undetected (yep this is a stat based game all right!) and starts picking the lock.

She succeeds and picks the prisoner up and hauls rear end back to Mongrel. She takes a few clubs to the back of her head, but thankfully head injuries doesn't effect run speed.

I put the prisoner in one of our beds and have Truth patch her up. You're safe now buddy, just rela-

... Oh. Ok. Later. Jackass

This is our life for now. We are slowly pulling in money and trying to help out anyone who gets caught by the Fogmen. I'm gonna grind up a little nest egg for us and try and get some more training done on the Fogmen. Its a problem where going too far out can have us get utterly swarmed, but keeping close to the city has the swole rear end Shinobi Guards cut a bloody swath through them.

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 21, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can we name the Skeleton Mr Bones?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo, going straight to Mongrel is some pro-gameplay right there. I mean, I do it to because Beep, but I always start off in the Holy Sword start and get some practice with Dust Bandits.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sure, name somebody Megane.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh Leal you fucker. Should have mentioned this in your Tropico thread so I could have seen it yesterday :mad: Anyway, I'm so down to see someone else play while I flail at my own saves. I'd also like to see a ShootaBoy running around, even if he never actually shoots a boy.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 16, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goddamn I love that I'm a superninja in this timeline.

And my hair's back! :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see an LP; the Steam thread occassionally waxes poetic about this game but it looks way too janky for me to actually play.
I'd love to get namedropped in the game as someone who can make poo poo explode.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh Leal you fucker. Should have mentioned this in your Tropico thread so I could have seen it yesterday :mad: Anyway, I'm so down to see someone else play while I flail at my own saves. I'd also like to see a ShootaBoy running around, even if he never actually shoots a boy.

Oh I got the perfect character for a name like that, there are crossbows in the game after all. Probably gonna be a bit though.

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo, going straight to Mongrel is some pro-gameplay right there. I mean, I do it to because Beep, but I always start off in the Holy Sword start and get some practice with Dust Bandits.

It was strange just how quiet the trip was to Mongrel. I seriously didn't run into any fogmen until that single one.

I updated the second post with some info on who we've seen so far and what characters we got. How about we hold a vote for a clan name?

Should we change our name from Goontang Clan? Say "No" if you want to keep it, or suggest one of your own and whatever gets the most votes will win. Voting will end Tuesday when I get home from work.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
For real, this doesn't show how ridiculous fog men are. They travel in packs. Sometimes as small as 5 dudes. Sometimes a dozen like you saw.... And also in huge 30+ swarms. Multiple swarms.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Leal posted:

Oh I got the perfect character for a name like that, there are crossbows in the game after all. Probably gonna be a bit though.

It was strange just how quiet the trip was to Mongrel. I seriously didn't run into any fogmen until that single one.

I updated the second post with some info on who we've seen so far and what characters we got. How about we hold a vote for a clan name?

Should we change our name from Goontang Clan? Say "No" if you want to keep it, or suggest one of your own and whatever gets the most votes will win. Voting will end Tuesday when I get home from work.

No. In fact, you should plant an area full of lemon trees along a trade route...

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Man, I used to play the demo of this game back before they completely redid the world map and the whole world was a completely identical desert! Never got particularly far, but I am definitely interested in seeing how the game plays nowadays. And I'll definitely be throwing my hat in the ring for getting named after someone. Preferably, dumb muscle with the largest weapon you can possibly jam into their meat hands.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

You knock a guard out, put him in a cage, and he becomes a slave but he still follows the guard Ai and follows you around yelling at you :psyduck:

This game seems like the stupidest poo poo and I love it. Keep Goontang Clan, we ain't nothin to gently caress with :colbert:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hell NO

Goontang Clan ain't nothin to gently caress with!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Change it to Goontang Flan (only half-kidding)

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

Goontang Clan ain't nothing to gently caress with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, Goontang Clan seems a perfect fit for this world.