Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, instead of Noire we should call her NepNep :v:

No we should call her Grace for Grace Jones aka badess badass chick ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brougal
Nov 5, 2011
Nice, I have been hoping to see a Kenshi LP at some point in this forum.

Also, throwing myself as Brougal, preferably a hiver

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Journey to UC territory.

Everyone is healed up and renamed.
Neko > Turtlicious
Truth > Sandalphones
Beep > Beep
Burn > CommisarMecha
Pia > Drakenel

And our new swole friend Sarah Noire cause you're all a bunch of assholes.

We head northwards, exploring the area around our new ally's base.

We get near an outpost, in the distance we can see a bridge connecting 2 mesas.

Heading to the outpost we come across a camp, staffed with guys in armor and bonedogs. A few turrets as well.

: You hunt cannibals?

: Yeah. Got a cannibal problem that needs taking care of?

: Nope. Just curious.

: ... Right

We can hire them to follow us or to defend a base of ours for 2k a day, in 2 day increments. We'll pass on this.

At the outpost there was a cannibal attack, but the Flotsam took care of them. I was coming to help them out, but maybe we can help out with the aftermath.

There is an AI setting, we can enable different settings for our faction's AI. Going from top to bottom:

Ditch items will make our characters automatically drop stuff off in their inventory into the appropriate containers, useful to make sure characters aren't carrying things they don't need.
Sleep when injured makes them automatically sleep in a bed when they're hurt, a bed that they can use for free.
Sit when idle makes them sit on a chair or bench if they aren't doing anything. I believe sitting makes them lose hunger slower?
Heal, help and rescue allies has medics heal allies, has people join in fights that allies are in, and rescue has people set to rescue to also pick up allies to take them to a bed
Share food has characters feed other squadmates with food in their backpack. Note that people will eat their own food at 250, but doing it from an ally's backpack will only do it when its lower (225?)
Feed Animals will alter the above to not feed any animals in your squad, if there is food problems and you would prefer your animals to starve to death. You monster.
Shoot First will have people on turrets automatically shoot at hostile forces approaching your base (say bandits coming to demand tribute)
Follow formation changes how the character's follow a person they're following. Note that this is specifically right clicking someone and clicking follow, not moving in a group.

I turn on help and heal, and let Drakenel and Sandalphonse patch people up.

: What is this place?

: Cannibal station. My job is keeping the painted tribes contained so they don't overrun our main camp. Leave them unchecked, they'll breed like swamp raptors and make the plains their own buffet...

: Who are you?

: Flotam's second in command, Defence Captain Mani. I'm an ex-cannibal hunter, made it my life mission to track cannibals every since I escaped their prisons 10 years ago. My comrades though, they weren't so lucky...

: I'm somewhat of an expert on them now though. I know how they breathe, how they move, how they feed... And I suggest that you don't delve far past this outpost if you want to live, drifter.

Being a post apocalyptic world, of course most factions are assholes. But if you were to call one faction a "good" faction, it would be Flotsam and the cannibal hunters, who just keep the cannibal menace in check.

Welcome, to the Cannibal Plains.

: Wai- Did you see that? Up ahead, I'm sure I saw something...

: It's just the wind. Relax, stay off the hashish a while, eh?

: It's not that. This is the cannibal plains, you're being hunted. It wasn't always like this. We don't know why the north westerners suddenly developed a taste for humanoid meat...

: ... Guess that's lucky for you, eh, tinhead? The one place in the land where you're NOT the prey. Just makes sure you rescue us if we get caught and sentenced to the chopping block.

*side eyes previous update*

Not much was found besides a second Flotsam outpost, so we head eastwards onto the Arm of Okran. Fantastic, probably gonna run into some HN pricks.

We approach World's End, something I've failed to mention is how allied territory turns green on the map.

World's End is a city owned by the Tech Hunters, people who go around exploring ancient sites discovering tech. They can also be a "good" faction as they find technology for the good of everyone, instead of just for themselves. This city has a handful of of shops, headgear, boots, ranger shops and like 4 bars (called waystations).

The building I want in specific though is this one, buildings with a sign of a guy with a backpack and walking stick sell maps.

We get maps of UC extended territories and a few ruins. The cities down south are a bit far, but how about that one to the east.

Heading into one of the many bars we overhear a conversation

: So I was trading in the hives the other week... An' I noticed... that brown stuff them lot build huts out of. It ain't stone and it ain't wood neither...

: Nah, I guess it ain't... Never really thought about it before...

: I mean, why don't we have buildings made of that stuff outside of the hives, eh?

: Could be the red sand. Maybe if you dig deep enough around Vain...

: I dunno. It don't look like it came outta the ground to me...

: ... What are you saying?

: Twomoon drank too much rum last week, threw his guts up all over the bar.... What I'm sayin' is...

: That stuff inside Twomoon, it looked real similar...

: .... I don't under-... Wait.... No....

: Just sayin'.

: Nooooooooooooooo!

Er... if we visit Vain maybe we... shouldn't enter Hiver buildings....

A large building dominates the city, labeled as a faction HQ.

: Keep loitering our aisles, roamer, and you'll end up trampled by sleep deprivd scientists... What brings you to World's End University? Do you need something?

: Can you tell me about this place?

: Here we study and analyze lost tech from the ancient world, slowly but surely we're uncovering the secrets of our forgotten history. The problem is that most ruins have already been scavenged, making it difficult to develop accurate theories without solid evidence...

: So that's where our tech hunters come in. They scour the unexplored lands for any possible remains we can use in our research... If you're interested in adventuring, our stores pay good money for relics. Make sure you bring anything you find to us, okay?

: I have some questions about your work....

: Did you have something specific in mind? There's not a great deal of information I can enlighten you with that hasn't already been documented in our records...

: You existed way back to the ancient times, right? Can't you remember anything?

: The memory of a skeleton is not as long lasting as our bodies, unfortunately. I don't even remember if I existed within the ancient race, or not. Trust me, it is highly frustrating for a theorist to have possibly existed at the very time period they are dedicated to investigating.

: Can you teach me about world history?

: With all due respect, drifter, asking me to sum up the history of the world is not much different to asking a doctor to teach you medicine in ten minutes. On top of that, many scientists have different theories on events. I suggest you browse through our library if you're interested to know more.

: The Holy Nation talk of a First Extinction. What do you know of it?

: The First Extinction? I personally believe it to be a plague epidemic, but Mr Finch stands firmly by it being a 'freak tornado'. Whatever it was, it appears that the skeleton was better equipped to survive it. But, human nature is to scapegoat, in particular those that are different to them. Our physical differences, in a time of panic and turmoil, only provoke further fear and clinging to ideas of blame. Hence the condemnation of my kind as playing a part in the downfall by the Holy Nation.

: What happened to the ancients? And how did we come to be?

: Mr. Finch believes all organics to be direct descendants of smaller tribes outside of the ancient society. And the ancients? We think they would have lived disconnected from the rest of the world, a deadly disease could have killed them off while leaving the skeletons and other tribes unaffected. But, again, there are many different theories on how we all came to be...

I hope you all enjoyed that history lesson. We find a Hiver named Finch but he is passive aggressive and complains about us bugging him and to bug Iyo instead.

Man gently caress smart people. We head up north, up to the northern coast. Beautiful scenic beaches...

We get close to a village up north, who wouldn't want some oceanfront property?

Strangely this city is walled but has no gate. When entering the house closest to the entrance has a person the porch who yells out a sales pitch.

: You there, Hiver! You guys love fish!

: I do love fish.

Can't argue with that! City is a fishing village. You cannot fish in game, but there is a mod for it. I didn't go with it though, I felt like fishing was way too easy for food.

Er, like 40 feet from the village there is a mob of cannibals. I'm surprised I didn't run into them on the way inside. These aren't "scrawny" cannibals like we've fought before, these are as tall as regular humans with red paint on them.

And there is some Flotsam Ninjas up here. Weird, didn't think they were up this far north. With them and the cannibals right next to eachother I decide to do this:

Setting people to bodyguard will have them follow the person and attack anyone who attacks them.

I'm hoping we'll run into that group of cannibals and have a good ol' free for all.

Except yet ANOTHER cannibal group was behind them :psyduck:

At this point Ibble and Lela have enough martial arts to do the palm strike. It replaces the much slower punch.

Rip that cannibal, hit by 2 different swords at the same time.

"Regular" cannibals carry flesh cleaves, worth way more then the sticks the scrawny cannibals carried.

I'd like to mention that I'm running the Reactive Worlds mod, which mostly expands the smaller factions in the game. For cannibals it splits them into 17 different factions who start to *ahem* cannibalize one another until they form 2 big groups, who then attack each other. So its possible to have cannibals fight each other.

I saw another village to the west and head there.

The place however is empty, not a single soul in town. We go ahead and start looting houses. While opening cases I come across these 2 books that give some back story on the village.

So basically, they wanted to make a base in the middle of a bunch of cannibals and got destroyed.

Oh huh, here is a soul in the village. A random tech hunter. You can usually find random tech hunters walking around the edges of the map.

Hey wait what the gently caress?! I had some people resting on the beds above the bar since it was free and this loving cannibal just ran into the bar, past the rest of the party, and ran off with Drakenel!

Thankfully he ran past Ibble who intercepted him.

The balls on this single cannibal. I'm surprised I didn't turn the camera around and saw a mob of 20 approaching.

Turns out Deadcat, who owned the previous village, used to also own this one. Whenever a population gets cleared out they are listed as "Dead" on the map. I found a bunch of grog in the village, and since everyone was dead there was no ownership tags on the stuff so none of it was considered stolen.

Lets give a brief overview on trading :v: Deadcat fishing village will buy this grog at a slight mark up. Notice there is "value" and "selling price". Some items will have lower selling price, this is basically just to make it so you will buy stuff like weapons and food at a higher price but can't get the same money for selling it. Different cities have different mark ups, so ideally you want to buy from a place at low mark up and sell at high mark up. There are several problems with this though:

Markups seem to be shared based on who owns the city. So if we were to buy something in Holy Nation territory that is at a 90% markup, its gonna be that same price across ALL Holy Nation territory. Your trading will be reserved for border cities so you can move between factions. On top of this, markup is randomized each playthrough, and changes when you import.

There is no real supply and demand. There is only one real guaranteed route for selling stuff, buying sake in the swamp territory and selling it in UC territory. But thats about it. You know how Iyo said to sell technology to Tech Hunter shops cause they're paying good money? You can find some ancient tech that is only used for selling, and in my game they have an 85% markup and I get nearly 120% markup selling the same item in some podunk city.

And to top it all off, usually your profit margins aren't going to be that great. Most trade goods are worth less then 1k, hell a lot are worth under 500 a pop. So you'll be buying something and maybe making a 25% profit off each item... Yeah, being a trader isn't really a thing that you can do. I was so bummed in my trader start cause I ran circles and made such little profit until I started stealing loot off dead bodies.

We head on eastward, and along the way I find some cannibal friends...

... And some Holy Nation friends! The cannibals were starting to catch up to my crew, so I'm glad to see them, funnily enough. The HN starts attacking the cannibals, getting us some much needed breathing room.

Thanks for the solid guys! Unfortunately there is a bunch of HN around and they start chasing my group down.

But we run into yet another group, this group samurai themed who start fighting with the HN. These troops are from the United Cities, or UC. They are at war with the HN, but then again who isn't?

Then I realize there is actually a lot of HN and UC here. This area is the front of the UC and HN war.

Proceeding southwards we come across a bunch of ruins, plenty of destroyed buildings and ravaged hamlets.

: I've heard of this place, a whole city wiped out in a single day by the Holy Nation. They roasted the head noble alive in the name of Okran and carted the youngsters off to Rebirth...

: Yeesh. I mean, I hate nobles as much as the next guy gal but... but...

: ......

: Actually, he probably deserved it.

The party continues on eastward.

Welcome to the Great Desert! Its brown and rocky, what do you want from me?

Jesus christ, stumbled upon a group of HN rolling 25 deep. Gonna give them a wide berth.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere :saddowns:

We come across a caravan from the Trader's Guild. Maybe they can take some of these cannibal weapons I've been carrying...

..... Why the gently caress do you guys have no money?!

Welcome to the city of Sho-Battai. UC cities seem to favor round buildings, especially for their bars.

In a bunch of UC cities there are Shinobi Thieves. Weirdly enough they decided to open their tower right next to a police station. Odd choice.

There is a map shop in town, got plenty of locations added to my map!

As said, selling Sake in UC cities is one of the few safe bets, they get a +50% bonus to the markup. If they happen to be selling grog or rum for cheap and its at a mark up at wherever you buy sake from, you actually got a route. The only route possible. Again, you would think maybe a mining city would have cheap copper, that you can sell at an electronics focused city, but nope.

Outside of the city the guards are fighting skimmers. These fuckers were the bane of my merchant start. They move quick and do some serious damage.

Heading outside of town we get accosted by a group calling themselves City Heroes.

: What do we have here? Spitting on all our drat business!

: How do you walk on them stupid sticks? Heh!

: Watch out bone freak!

Well that was just rude.

Anyways we are gonna head eastwards to a port town.

: 'EY BONE FREAK!

He shouted this so loud it was large on my screen despite him being so far back.

: Bone head!

: Bone freak!

: Toothpick!

: Hahahaha!

: Oi, spikey!

: Get out of our businesses!

Whatever, gently caress these guys Beep

: Get 'im!

And they attack us. However we mop the loving floor with them, it went so quick I didn't even get sweet action shots.

Oh come on now, this wasn't our fault!

So yes the City Heroes are a vigilante group who hates demihumans. They accuse foreigners of stealing jobs, land, women etc. I'd make the joke but I know you all already made it.

Everyone gets patched up and starts looting their gear, Ibble picks up the Hero Boss and has some.. other ideas with him.

A person with a neck shackle smiling. Fantastic.

Welcome to the slave shop. Given our history we may want to avoid these....

But gently caress this guy.

: You belong to me now chumbo.

:psyduck:

While heading back east we come across a place called Fort mirage.

It is owned by the City Hero League, looks like its their HQ. Gonna give it a wide berth, those turrets can do some damage.

We stumble across some nomads fighting some skimmers. Nomads are chill dudes, we give them a hand.

For animals, when they get knocked unconscious you can ensure they die by taking stuff off them. Something that is annoying is that you can't finish off humanoid character, you have to beat them down, wait for them to get back up, then repeat until they lose enough blood.

The yellow meat is foul meat, you can't cook with them but Hivers can eat them, as well as animals.

Speaking of animals, hey how about we grab one while we're here?

You can purchase 4 different types of animals: Bonedogs, Garrus, wild/pack bulls and goats. Animals have age, which gives a multiplier to their stats. I pick the eldest pack bull here, as I want it to get older faster so it will start running faster.

Well this is funny, since the bull was wounded during the fight it is down in the character menu. We can't edit anything for the bull minus its name, I name it Average Lettuce cause it is an odd name for a bull and I love it.

Well, sadly Lettuce is in a coma so we have to sit and wait for him to become conscious-

No way. You're making GBS threads me. You can't be serious.

She did it. Noire just walked right up to a bull calf and picked it up like it was nothing.

No better time to show off that the game also models muscles based on your stats. Noire has an 8 pack this IS a fetish thing

A big advantage to getting a bull, they can carry a bag with a ton of space, the bag also stacks items and best of all its portable! Not only that but bulls can also fight.

We FINALLY reach Bark. Not much going on in this city. The single rounded building on the top of the picture is a noble house. UC territories all have a noble house, so yeah UC is basically America.

Oddly enough there is a bunch of sleeping beds in the middle of the city that don't cost any money to use, so I go ahead and rest up everyone from the skimmer fight.

While everyone rests, I put Noire into her own squad. No real reason.

: Achoo! 'Scuse me [-150c]

: You pick pocketed my money!

: You're talking crazy, stay the hell away from me and keep your voice down, will ya? You'll rile up the guards...

: I'll TELL the guards if you don't give it back!

: Good luck with that... Now leave me alone.

: Do I LOOK rich to you? I don't need this

Let's ignore the fact the party is rolling in 40k cats

: Look, a girl's gotta eat somehow. Nothing personal.

: Well, so do we. Come on, have pity...

: Don't try your sob stories with me. Times are tough. I got the guards on my back and I'm drat hungry. You can't be that hard up if you've made it here from out of town. I can't even afford to get out of this dump.

: Geeze if you want out so bad then just come with us. Us underdogs need to stick together, right?

: I do REALLY need to get out of this city... Ah to hell with it, I've got nothing left to lose apart from the rags on my back! And there's something about you, you seem like my kinda gal. Let's go, you and me, we stick together!

Red, who is renamed to Megane, joins us. This is the first character I've ever recruited my first time through. Red starts with some stealth skills and a rusty topper. I normally go with 3 ninja characters, but with Noire this means I got 4.

Party is slowly getting bigger. Soon enough we wont have to worry about getting outnumbered all the time.

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope you yucksters are ashamed of your words and deeds

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Usually I am, but not enough to stop doing it.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Wait so you can't just kill a person? You have to keep knocking them out over and over? Is there a mod to "fix" that?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I refuse to be lumped in with said yucksters, as I don't even know what Neptunia is beyond weeb poo poo :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

The exact opposite, actually :smug: On a more serious note, you should have CommissarMecha (or any skeleton, really) ask Iyo back at World's End about the world's history...

Heir03 posted:

Wait so you can't just kill a person? You have to keep knocking them out over and over? Is there a mod to "fix" that?

In the game settings, you can set just how lethal combat is. That said, I do tend to keep it low, not just to train up my dudes, but also so I can sell bandits into slavery as well as keep bounties alive.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Leal posted:

Have you seen the sick hat I'm wearing

I have no shame at all

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What, you think Noire would have been able to pick up that bull with some lameass mundane name? That is a Name of Power right there.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Heir03 posted:

There is. A couple, but the one updated the most adds a 'heart' item to most NPCs that you can pick up and move to kill anyone whose inventory you got into.

Which would include those you've successfully pickpocketed, leading to the somewhat hilarious scenario of just ripping out hearts of someone you bumped into. No officer I don't know where the giant chest cavity came from.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Forgot to add that bladed weapons also cause more lethal damage than blunt ones, so if you want to put someone down, that's the way to go. That said, when someone's down, you can't stick a sword in them to make sure, but this is a blessing- after all, since there's no functional difference between your dudes and enemy ones, this prevents a lot of frustration.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drakenel posted:

There is. A couple, but the one updated the most adds a 'heart' item to most NPCs that you can pick up and move to kill anyone whose inventory you got into.

Which would include those you've successfully pickpocketed, leading to the somewhat hilarious scenario of just ripping out hearts of someone you bumped into. No officer I don't know where the giant chest cavity came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiE5mE0ZorA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I've changed party member's text on the avatars, I'm gonna ask how people feel about NPC dialogue. Since I grab those avatars from the dialogue menu, which has a dark background, it can make some avatars hard to see. Say these three:

... And I just realized my skeleton one is smaller then the others. Anyways, dark skin and clothes blend in with the dark background. Would it be better if I were to mess around with plastic surgeons and make a few thumbnails that will be on a cream colored background?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

Would it be better if I were to mess around with plastic surgeons and make a few thumbnails that will be on a cream colored background?

Much better, I think.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Throw me into the goontang clan, as a greenlander. Doing whatever.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Put me in Goontang Clan as my Goontang alias, HuoShengdi. No character preference, other than maybe giving me swords or Leisure Kicks (I played a Scholar)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Being a Meatwrap

First off we visit this plastic surgeon in the bar. The Shinobi Thieves isn't the only place that has plastic surgeons, we can find some in random bars. Who wouldn't trust an alcoholic who'll ask for enough money to get a bowl of rice?

I rename Red to Megane and also darken her hair a bit cause the bright red is driving me nuts.

To start today, we head to a camp we passed on our way to Bark, Stone Camp.

Along the way we run into some Manhunters

: Eh, these guys kinda look like escaped slaves to me...

: Yeah, why not?

: Grab that slave!

Lets ignore the fact that 4 of our party members are indeed escape slaves, Manhunters will attack the player accusing them of being slaves for a quick paycheck. Manhunters have some decent armor and they use spiked clubs for weapons.

Oh and the most annoying thing about them? They are more then happy to stumble upon a battle site and start throwing shackles on everyone who is KO'd.

And mid combat a loving skimmer shows up from behind and starts attacking us. I try to run off in hopes the skimmer will target the manhunters instead...

It doesn't and proceed to hit Ibble in the stomach for 95 loving damage :lol:

We manage to fight off the skimmer (it flew off at mach 5, wish I got that on camera. Did I mention this game is jank?) but 4 of us are down and hardly any of the manhunters have dropped.

Oh poo poo, Ibble is dying from the wound to her stomach. Stomach, chest and head are vital body parts and beyond getting KO'd when hit low enough, if hit even lower they start to continue degrading till they hit -100 (I believe?) the person will die.

Lela manages to stand up, everyone but Beep and CommisarMecha is still up but the majority of the manhunters are down. Lela pulls off and has one important task:

Grabbing all of the manhunter's weapons and their bandages. This is so if they stand back up they wont have a weapon to fight back with. On top of this they will take a break from the combat to patch up their teammates which will make them more likely to get back up.

All the manhunters are down and our team slowly recovers. The odd manhunter stands back up without their weapon and gets smacked back down to the ground for their insolence.

.... And then some random hicks come in from stage left with sticks and KOs Lela.

They get gutted by Commisar and Noire in return.

: Alive to see another day...

I don't want to have another hostile group stumble upon us so I pick up the wounded and book it to to Sho Battai

Everyone is set down to rest, mostly everyone has at least one body part near 0 so they'll be down for a while....

Of course, CommisarMecha has no organic needs. He stumbles across a group of guards and a man who is of some importance.

Meet the rules of the UC cities, Nobles. Nobles are exactly how you think they are, and UC is basically the extreme conclusion of American capitalism.

CM checks out the bar in town and over hears some lore.

: Did you get a good look at Captain Eyegore? Makes my skin crawl, that guy...

: I heard he eats babies...

: Bullshit. But then... even Lord Tengu himself is scared shitless of him....

: Y'know they got him from the southern hives. Whole new breed of stick man, those southerners....

: I heard he cut a man in half... From the groin up.

: Wouldn't surprise me.... Let's change the subject. Gives me chills, that guy.

Beep is from the Western Hive, Southern Hive might be an interesting place to visit.

CM heads into the local police station and looks for the police chief. Usually they're at the front desk, where is he...

:stare: Eeerrr.... I guess this is why you really don't want to end up in a UC gulag :stonk:

When he... finishes... We chat with the chief. We can ask about bounties or free party members who have been arrested. Asking about bounties basically has him tell us he doesn't have any leads and for us to check the bar for wanted posters.

Bars will have some "books" that will list bounties, how much they're worth and give a hint to where to find the target. Sometimes random people in the world will have some bounties, but eeehhh... Bounties aren't all that common and the ones you do find aren't really worth all that much. Like 2.1k, and you'll have to pick the guy up and run them to a police station. If we stumble across bounties and they're worth enough I'll go ahead and grab them, and I'll use some of the bigger bounties (20k+) as a reason to go to a place. But on the whole, eeeeehhhh

Why bring in bounties when I can beat them up, load their gear onto Lettuce and sell it all :v:

CM decides to go on a little trip...

Welcome to the black desert. Weather forecasts 100% acid rain.

Also random bolts of lightning, enjoy your stay! Acid rain will damage non skeletons and hivers, but there is some gear that will help protect against it.

By the way the lightning is aesthetic, so CM wont have to worry about being a metal object standing up in a thunderstorm.

We enter a place called Black Desert City. Somewhere in there is a Skeleton saying... uh... stuff....

: Whhhhat's that, tasty huuuuman? Yoooou want me to feeeed on your inner gooooo? Whhhy, it would be my pleasuuuuuure, just wait while I find my gooooo scoop.

:stare:

There is a bar in town, I guess even skeletons need to get their drink on. Also note that the buildings here are different then the usual, they're made out of metal.

There... is a hiver in here. Odd. He does have a bounty on him, but eeeh.... I see no reason to attack a non hostile right now.

This town is a safe haven for Skeletons, especially since the acid rain keeps the humans out. Particularly the Holy Nation.

Now heading east of town is a place called the "Scraphouse", we found this location on a map. Upstairs is a handful of guardian skeletons and even some spider bots, thankfully non hostile.

: Old magazines, fragments of old wreckages, funny shaped rocks.... we don't have anything of much use here but then, of course, one man's junk is another man's treasure. So, how can I help you?

This place is pretty special, because....

This place sells some drat high grade weaponry. Tons of edge type 3s hanging around. Type 3 is basically the second highest grade, but of course check out that price tag. That will completely empty out the coffers right now, but something to keep in mind later on when we have more money.

This shop also sells a bunch of research related things, like science books and computer parts.

Heading back to the bar we find this guy upstairs, for some reason. The party is downstairs bro!

: Isn't it dull? Dull enough to make you mope hopelessly in a dead end town while the rest of your kind prattle on about seized sprockets and rusted knees in an endless orgy of ailment resentment... *sigh*

: Aren't you just a barrel of laughs.

: Well, sorry for existing. You people never do last more than a few minutes in conversation with me. If I could shed a tear, believe you me, I would shed a bucket full... But alas, that is the ironic curse of the Skeleton. To cry silently on the inside. The most mournful of creatures, yet born without the means to shed a tear. Oh... I hate my life...

: ....

: I tried going back outside once. It smelled funny and there were far too many flies. Not to mention all the killing and... Oh, that's right, the cannibalism. Awful place.

: Oh, don't exaggerate, it's not that bad.

: Guess you've turned native already. Life on the outside has turned you numb to the atrocities of the human race.

: How about you leave with me, stretch your legs and roam free.

: Roaming free is overrated. I wouldn't recommend it.

: Ah, go on.

: ....

Womp womp

:same:

Sadneil (holy poo poo it just dawned on me that his original name starts with Sad) Mr Bones joins free of charge. Looking at those stats, you can see why :v:

*back with the main group*

: I knew it, I knew this would happen. I knew he would run off on us, just like with the cannibals.

: But he saved us from the cannibals.

: No, that was... Who were you again?

: Drakenel.

: Right. Thanks for volunteering by the way.

: He paid me.

: What.

: Wait so he took the Cat purse?

: I found someone I can finally relate to.

We continue on our original destination and end up at stone camp. Not a lot of buildings here for all the people running around...

.... Its a slave camp. This place is owned by the Slave Traders. We immediately turn around and leave.

On our way out we stumble across a bunch of people with sticks and only wearing pants. These guys are Slave Hunters. Noticing a trend here in the UC territories? They are basically weaker versions of the Manhunters and may attack the player even if they aren't slaves.

We head straight south from the camp, towards Heng.

: Heng. Better hope we've got enough bribe money to survive this place...

: Bribe money? What, you can just buy your way through life in this place?

: Well, if you put it like that...

: Wow, sounds so easy! In the Holy Nation I'm powerless, but here all I need is Cats....

: Might want to make yourself some actual money first before you get too attached to that idea...

We wont be stopping in Heng, just passing by. The city has a thieve's tower on the left side. To the right of the city there is Trader's Edge, separating the city by a bridge. Trader's Edge is the headquarters for the Trader's Guild.

We head southwest towards a waystation. The market and slave farm here are more slaver places, we'll be avoiding them.

: Oh man, I forgot that thing is still here.

: Oh yeah, that pissing thing.

: You can see it in the distance there. It's still chugging away, even now. I remember when it was flying around, wrecking death and destruction everywhere it went... It's safe now though, good riddance to it.

: Shame the other one is still running though...

Well that was ominous. We arrive at the waystation. Typical bar and engineer shop. This particular one however has a ruined tower available to buy.

We continue heading southwest, to the middle of the map.

: The other one is still running here. Watch out for the sky.

: drat you, "The other one"!

: The other what?

: The other Eye. We can't survive here for long. Have to move quickly.

: Why don't you guys ever explain anything properly?

: Ha :yayclod:

Well there isn't anything I can see in the sky. Time to move on...

Oh god, Beak Things. Meet the death of many a squad. These guys move FAST, hit HARD, have more HP then skeletons, and to top it off they have AOE to their attack. Give these things a wide berth.

Oh gently caress. Well there is that thing that the skeletons were hinting at. God drat orbital lasers, not just this one but multiple all over the place. This orange light is the beam touching down, I would show a gif of it moving but then it turns a blinding white beam after touching down. This CAN hit us, and it will do a decent chunk of damage to the entire body.

Note that these only happen during the day, at night the "eye" is shut off.

We arrive at another waystation but uh... this one is a little out of service. Bunch of building materials laying around, a book and a skeleton repair kit. I grab the last 2 and move on west.

Along the way I spot these guys in the distance, weak thralls, from the Thrall Master's group. They have less HP then most skeletons... and no heads. Keeping clear of them for now.

We arrive in an area that has many oasis' spread around.

In the middle of this area has a little town of settled nomads. The town doesn't offer much, there is an animal shop in town that allows us to buy some animals. But since we already have Lettuce, we move on.

We end up swimming through an oasis, the swim skill effects swim speed. The description also mentions "without drowning" but I'm not sure if you can drown in this... I've had people get KO'd in water and float just fine.

Funnily enough, skeletons don't swim. They simply walk under the water. Now where is Lettuce, he isn't swimming with the rest. Did he get left behind again-

:geno:

Continuing on, we head to the capital of the Swamp area, Shark.

Its kinda hard to see poo poo in the Swamp.

: Ugh... Stinks like musty ol' grandma 'round here...

: Watch it, the swamps are full of monsters lurking and hiding in the vines, waiting to pounce on their prey... I ain't a fan of the swamps. Not one bit. At least in the open plains there's no place for gut-eating critters to hide...

: Well, at least in the swamps there's no place for self-righteous paladins and corrupt samurai to hide...

: Why do I feel like a walking meatwrap these days? Seems everyone and everything wants a goddamn piece of us.

and how

Stopping over at a village in the swamp, the village doesn't offer much...

.... but someone proudly talking about selling drugs :getin:

Hashish is the drug of the game, we can sell it in other places for some profit. As the description says, its illegal basically everywhere. But because of that there is a markup of this stuff in those places, we're talking 400% markup.

Welcome to Shark. The city offers more, there is an armory, several generic shops, 2 bars....

... And more drugs :homebrew:

One of the bars is called the Dancing Skeleton. And its got a Skeleton on the sign. Charming.

: ... Whatever. What can you tell me about the swamplands?

: Sure can. The swamps can be pretty chaotic for newcomers, best to know how things work and whose toes to avoid steppin' on around here. The town's run by five clans: The Hounds, Grayflayers, Twinblades, Blackshifters and Stone Rats.

: Tell me about the Hounds

: The Hounds are the top dogs, they run the show around here. They done a good job of gettin' hemp to grow in the swamps... Whether they've been makin' sacrifices to Narko or they just got green goddamn fingers, who the hell knows. Either way it's got 'em a pretty big standing in the smuggling trade, they're the most powerful of the clans. Their leader, Grim, she's about as smart as she is crazy...

: Stone Rats

: Between you and me... *glances around the room* ... the Stone Rats are nothing more than a bunch of thugs. I goddamn hate them myself, saunterin' around town like they ownt he palce. They run a protection racket so they like to beat Cats out of the honest business owners like me...

: Blackshifters

: Made up of hive ronins. Though, they may be ronins, but they sure haven't lost that greedy goddamn hiver mindset. They handle the town's money... loansharking, gambling, that sorta thing... they run the casinos 'round here. As long as you don't owe 'em money, they got no reason to hurt you.

: Twinblades

: Those guys, they're about as crazy as they come, they gimme the goddamn creeps. They traffic organs, do kidnappin's and ransoms too. Okran knows where they get their... stock... from. You know what, I don't want to know. I ain't pissin' em off any time soon though, that's for sure.

: Grayflayers?

: The Grayflayers tend to keep to themselves. They mainly do raids, heists and covert missions for big payin' customers. Apparently they only steal from the "bad", so I hear, but no one knows too much about their activities.

Heading onto the other bar in town, the place is a casino.

: Okay [-150C]

: Okay, tuggin' on the digits and tugging on the digits! And we got a stoneroller! Fishing with the stoneroller or rolling back, traveller?

: Hmm...

: Okay, pulling out! And we're fishing with the stoneroller! Punching the bird and freshening up the old man.... And its a dryout with a wolf tail! Bad luck, roamer. Chance at a catback and play again?

: :psyduck:

We'll... pass. The game is actually a game of higher or lower, "stoneroller" was our "number" and doing either a fish or a rollback is betting if the next one will be lower or higher. You can take a few thousand cats in and learn what the "numbers" are, but uh... I prefer clonking people on the head and selling their poo poo.

In the bar we find a Hiver that we can speak with.

: An eye for shooting, eh?

: Hell, you're lookin' at one of the best shooters in the swamps! Honed my skills workin' on a smuggler base 'til my crew got wiped out by Skull Collectors, Okran have mercy on their souls... Well drat, now you got me spoutin' religious crap.

: Fancy shooting for me?

: What, an' quit my days shootin' greenfruit off'a heads? Look, I already failed my crew before, life holed up in a bar's actually startin' to grow on me.

: If I was one of your crew I'd slap you upside the head.

: *drinks*

: You don't want to spend your days as a barfly.

: ... Alright. I'll shoot for you. But I wasn't kidding about payin' off my tab you know. You want my turret skills you're gonna have to fork the bill, 2,300 Cats.

: Deal

Sure enough, Green Shootaboy here starts with high turret and crossbow skills. He starts with a junk crossbow and some bolts, he'll be shooting for us. Sadly he has zero precision shooting so he'll be shooting squaddies a lot :v:

There is a handful of lore books we can read real quick, if you want some history on the Swamps. And thank god the wiki has it all uploaded so I don't have to type it all up :v:

quote:

Note II:
A note written by a swamp resident:

"I messed it up. I had a quiet life, a child. Even earned enough to have my own place. Then I tried it. Just once I thought. See what it feels like. Tried it many times. Adding a little more every time. Hoping to recreate that first time. For every little I added I lost more. Didn't feel like it then.

I ended up owing money. Couldn't repay. Had to sell the house. Had to even sell the clothes. I sold my kid's future. But Fuli never left. Through all the poo poo I did, Fuli stuck with me. I never deserved that kid. No one does. We had to flee. We got found. I couldn't walk. I was too tired. Too weak. They enslaved Fuli. I must go save him. But I can't control myself anymore. I always need it. It enslaved me.

Please save my little boy. He doesn't deserve to suffer for my mistakes...

Note III:
"Well I can't loving believe it. This place is real after all. Here, one gets what one worked for. No nobles who were born lucky breathing down the necks of workers and asking for rent. No loving priests claiming they're the ones who got everything figured out and using people's ignorance to steal from them. The only law here is that of nature: strongest gets it all...

Note IV
"im done with this shithole. why are we just grubs in hear when we could be loving kings and queens outside. i say we book it you me and a few other folks. we grab what we can from the tresury and we make a run for it. we hire more peeple and we form our own bloody gang. after all thats what they told us when we came hear this is the jungle and everythings up for grabs.

Note V
A note written by a swamp resident, likely one of the Grayflayer Clan:

"gently caress big gray. tiny bill got wasted and hes sittin on his rear end goin soft and forbidin us to go skin swifty. hes got us on some bulshit erand to make sure we dont do the bastard in. big gray trusts you. and tiny bill was our loving brother. waste the son of a bich"

Heading further down south, into even more UC territory. This is the "extended" territories.

Along the way we run into some bandits, Red Sabres. Going off their namesake, they are of course wearing red. What happens when a bull sees red?

The bull charges, and has some good AOE to his attacks.

Oh christ. During the fight a swamp ninja comes out from the swamp. Swamp Ninjas and Red Sabres are supposed to be enemies, but they seem more then happy to join forces to attack us.

We see Shootaboy in combat, I try to steer him around to fire into the backs or sides of our enemies, namely to keep him from shooting into the backs of the squad. It works great in stunning people who are currently fighting.

Oh christ, MORE loving swamp ninjas. Whats even better is that these assholes also use crossbows, so I pull off some people to get into melee with them.

And then loving BLOOD SPIDERS DECIDE TO SHOW UP.

Why do I feel like a walking meatwrap these days? Seems everyone and everything wants a goddamn piece of us.

I pick up whoever is KO'd or have injured legs and begin booking it.

We enter the High Bonefields, everyone is currently spread out as I set everyone to run as fast as they can. Its better everyone is split then making everyone move at a slow pace.

Sadly CommisarMecha isn't as swole as I thought and he can't move that fast carrying Lela. Hurry up CM you're carrying the most important character!

... Oh fuuuuuuuck beak things also hang out around this area :gonk:

AND loving SKIN SPIDERS! Meet the bloodspiders older brother. Whats hilarious is that in the unmodded game the much smaller blood spiders have twice the range of these bigger ones (skin spider has a range of 35, a blood spider has a range of 70. To put that range into perspective, a naginata has a range of 28)

God dammit, CM is now being chased by a beak thing. I steer him around to try and avoid the beak thing's attacks. They basically lean their giant neck back then hammer down on the floor in front of them, when they start to wind up you can move away and ideally get out of their AOE range when they land their attack.

Everyone else takes a quick breather just so they can get bandaged up. No one has had a chance to heal up from the earlier melee.

And now CM has skin spiders chasing him :shepface:

Some unlikely help though, some bonedogs attack the skin spiders!

Aaaand the loving dogs also split to attack us :shepicide:

Why dO I feEl lIKe a wAlKIng MEatwRap tHesE DaYS SeEmS eVeRYoNe aNd evErythInG wAnTs a gODdaMn pICce oF Us.

Thankfully bonedogs are the least threatening thing to attack us, however in the distance... A beak thing. An elder beak thing, which gives a 2.03 multiplier to its stats. This is like the loving T Rex scene

Run aawwwaaaay

We finally arrive to Catun. East of the city is a thieves tower that we all immediately rush into.

Taking advantage of allies patching us up. We were absolutely wrecked by the end here. Lela's legs are at -178 :gore:

You know, ending updates with the party resting their injuries is starting to become a thing.

We fought Red Sabres then got jumped by Swamp Ninjas then jumped by Blood Spiders then jumped by Beak Things then jumped by Skin Spiders then jumped by Bonedogs.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 23, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I think its safe to say that we will treat Slavers as hostiles, but what about the UC on the whole? The UC is one of the main factions who is warring with the Holy Nation.

Pros:
War with the HN
Has a sizable amount of territory, even bigger then the HN
Has the only real route in game, trading sake from the swamp to the UC
The only racially inclusive main faction

Cons:
Heavy on slavery
So eager for money that they literally outlawed poverty
Nobles rule each city and are self entitled fuckheads

How should we treat this faction? Note that while they let slave hunters, manhunters and slave traders operate freely in their territory, they are separate from those factions and we can treat them differently.

Neutral and use them for trading purposes

Hostile, we can do a lot of damage to the upper class of the faction by kidnapping and killing the nobles who rule each city. Note that this will make an even bigger chunk of the land hostile to us.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Leal posted:

We fought Red Sabres then got jumped by Swamp Ninjas then jumped by Blood Spiders then jumped by Beak Things then jumped by Skin Spiders then jumped by Bonedogs.

Between all of that and the Slaver Gangs, Orbital Death Lasers, Acid Rain Hellholes, etc, etc, there are just so many ways to die that got featured this update!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

So I think its safe to say that we will treat Slavers as hostiles, but what about the UC on the whole? The UC is one of the main factions who is warring with the Holy Nation.

Pros:
War with the HN
Has a sizable amount of territory, even bigger then the HN
Has the only real route in game, trading sake from the swamp to the UC
The only racially inclusive main faction

Cons:
Heavy on slavery
So eager for money that they literally outlawed poverty
Nobles rule each city and are self entitled fuckheads

How should we treat this faction? Note that while they let slave hunters, manhunters and slave traders operate freely in their territory, they are separate from those factions and we can treat them differently.

Neutral and use them for trading purposes

Hostile, we can do a lot of damage to the upper class of the faction by kidnapping and killing the nobles who rule each city. Note that this will make an even bigger chunk of the land hostile to us.

Gonna vote for Neutral for now, if only because everything outside's trying to kill you already. Maybe later you can start going all Aristocrats on their aristocracy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:bandwagon: from hell right there, holy poo poo.

I'm also gonna preemptively apologize to anyone that I accidentally shoot in the back of the head.

And I vote we stay neutral to the UC for now, at least. We need safeish areas to move through while we take down the HN, not more enemies.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vote for neutral with UC

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The seem like assholes but we're already sworn enemies of the biggest assholes in existence. Stay neutral for now.

But we should definitely steal anything we can get our grubby little hands on.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Hostile because I want to see more disaster trains like that. Adding in another faction who doesn't like us is probably the road to that.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
The usual way that it works is that you effectively have as much negative health as you have positive health per limb, so normal humans go from fine at 100 to limbs popping off at -100 (or dead if it's head/stomach/chest), while Shek go 125 to -125, etc. That said, I'm not sure what's going on with Lela unless you're using mods - she should've lost that leg a while ago.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DarthRoblox posted:

The usual way that it works is that you effectively have as much negative health as you have positive health per limb, so normal humans go from fine at 100 to limbs popping off at -100 (or dead if it's head/stomach/chest), while Shek go 125 to -125, etc. That said, I'm not sure what's going on with Lela unless you're using mods - she should've lost that leg a while ago.

I think its because her leg degraded to that point, didn't hit -100 and never got bandaged throughout that entire ordeal. Didn't get hit there again.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah I think you actually have to get hit under -100 for dismemberment to happen.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

poor Lela’s gonna end up with four different-length limbs

gonna have to call her Lopsided Lela

I say we keep neutral with the UC aristos...for the moment. Much as I would like the Clan to bathe in the blood of slavers, I’d like even more for the Clan to survive, y’dig?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Neutral, lets not make any more enemies then we have to at this stage. Incidentally, what has our path been so far? Between all the wide berth givings, I bet we've been wandering all over the shop.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Neutral, it makes no sense to piss off people when we don't even have a proper base of operations yet.

Speaking of which, when do we hit that point at the end of the Goontang Clan's wanderings across the continent? Not that I'm not enjoying our little Odyssey (in caps because I think even Odysseus would balk at the poo poo we go through), but where's our destination? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel, and can we steal its stuff?

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

I say neutral for now hostile later. Gotta eat the rich, but no point in antagonizing them before we are good and ready

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We can play nice for now but when when it's time we burn them with the rest.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Neutral... for now.

And holy crap, I have several hundo hours in this game and I've NEVER had a dogpile as bad as that one, holy poo poo :stare: That would have definitely prompted a reload from me, I fully admit.

Dr. Snark posted:

Speaking of which, when do we hit that point at the end of the Goontang Clan's wanderings across the continent? Not that I'm not enjoying our little Odyssey (in caps because I think even Odysseus would balk at the poo poo we go through), but where's our destination? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel, and can we steal its stuff?

While making a few safehouses here and there isn't that big an investment, building a good, proper base takes a lot of time and resources, especially if you want it to have walls and defences. I don't think we'd be able to do all that much yet. That said, we DO have more than enough money to buy a house somewhere and begin researching stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Leal posted:

I think its because her leg degraded to that point, didn't hit -100 and never got bandaged throughout that entire ordeal. Didn't get hit there again.

this is precisely why she kept the leg. you will never lose a limb to ticking damage, though you will continue to lose blood which will eventually kill you. if you get hit when you're that low, THEN you lose the limb.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tombot posted:

Neutral, lets not make any more enemies then we have to at this stage. Incidentally, what has our path been so far? Between all the wide berth givings, I bet we've been wandering all over the shop.

This is (roughly) what we've travelled so far

Starting from the top left. That deviation in the middle is when CommisarMecha headed to the Black Desert City.

Dr. Snark posted:

Neutral, it makes no sense to piss off people when we don't even have a proper base of operations yet.

Something that is a bit of a problem, and imho a downside to this game, is when setting up base you are kinda rooted in that area. Next update we'll be sitting down for a bit, and it'll be another 2 updates after that when we finally build a base. Right now I want to show off the world on top of grabbing unique recruits.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is there anywhere, like, nice to set up a base? The world kind of seems like a hole.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Is there anywhere, like, nice to set up a base? The world kind of seems like a hole.

Holy Nation Lands*

*if you're male and greenlander

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
IIRC the plateau and river-ish area east of the swamp make for good central locations unless you're really dead set on trading with the Holy Nation for some reason. That said, I don't recall a lot of resources in those areas, and there might be more than a few Beak Things running about. If you don't want that bother, the Fog Islands have a lot of easily-defensible plateaus with plenty of water and resources, but you'll have to deal with hordes of Fogmen while setting up. True, by the time you're ready to build a base you'd probably be more than ready to take them on, but it's really, really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Leal posted:

Holy Nation Lands*

*if you're male and greenlander

So what you're saying is that it's a fixer-upper.

I'm sure the team will get the tools necessary to dismantle the Holy Nation, someday. Then we can build our own Holy Nation, with blackjack and hookers freedom for all sentient beings.