Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if you think about it, a needle is like a spear, so Hornet is the bug dragoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Woah wait what the gently caress? Holy poo poo this is the best news :stare:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This is awesome, more people should post more good HK art.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jerusalem posted:

Woah wait what the gently caress? Holy poo poo this is the best news :stare:

yeah

i just want a release date now

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hollow Knight Silksong:Hornet is permissible

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was still in shock from the Link's Awakening announcement the day before, so my initial reaction was a pretty muted "oh, it's nice to finally get some info on the Hornet DLC :)"

then I went straight back into shock when it said "THE SECOND GAME BY TEAM CHERRY" :tviv:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Pretty cool that they're giving the game for free to people who backed Hollow Knight on Kickstarter, since it was a promised stretch goal. They'll even let you redeem it on Switch.

Hornet looks like she's going to get a whole ton of mobility moves, I can't wait!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This is great news! I wasn't that big of a fan of the updates to the first game, since there weren't any new levels to explore (besides [spoiler]that short bit before the Godhome coffin, and Path of Pain, which was absolutely amazing, I LOVE IT[/spoiler). New bosses are nice, but I want cool places to explore more than anything else.

I do hope they go a bit nuts with level design and unusual bosses! Some of HK's bosses were kinda same-y (unavoidable, I guess, with SO MANY OF THEM), and the clear focus on action over platforming made some hallways pretty, uh, boring. But there's more mobility, and we're already seeing some bosses breaking the mold (giant, screen-filling bug, some kinda silverfish chasing you, etc.).

I'm fully prepared to git gud again

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Torquemadras posted:

This is great news! I wasn't that big of a fan of the updates to the first game, since there weren't any new levels to explore (besides [spoiler]that short bit before the Godhome coffin, and Path of Pain, which was absolutely amazing, I LOVE IT[/spoiler). New bosses are nice, but I want cool places to explore more than anything else.

I do hope they go a bit nuts with level design and unusual bosses! Some of HK's bosses were kinda same-y (unavoidable, I guess, with SO MANY OF THEM), and the clear focus on action over platforming made some hallways pretty, uh, boring. But there's more mobility, and we're already seeing some bosses breaking the mold (giant, screen-filling bug, some kinda silverfish chasing you, etc.).

I'm fully prepared to git gud again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpbOLslQJt4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

This is awesome, more people should post more good HK art.

My current impression is that, outside of Hornet, Lace is the artist favorite:

https://twitter.com/ivy60530/status/1096335569053872128

https://twitter.com/takoneko_JYR/status/1096067686566526977

https://twitter.com/HK_wjan/status/1096379560210251776

The ant queen also gets a bit of appreciation:

https://twitter.com/Dott_se/status/1096079842083139586

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lace definitely has a distinctive design/boss arena

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Johnny Joestar posted:

lace definitely has a distinctive design/boss arena

You can see her in two different arenas, so I'm guessing she will be Hornet's Hornet, so to speak. Recurring boss, possibly future ally.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

a good image

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Hornet was fast and powerful and we the player were handicapped by being the most tiny hollowknight ever and had to make up for it with skill. It'll will be really interesting to play as something that isn't a tiny little guy but starts out fully complete and ready for combat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can't wait to find out how Hornet's going to lose most of her abilities at the start of the game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

I can't wait to find out how Hornet's going to lose most of her abilities at the start of the game.

Honestly, I don’t think we will since she actually looks more versatile in that trailer than in her boss fight. Sorta the opposite of what usually happens with playable bosses/rivals.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Her repertoire seems to be mainly gadget-based (I think the jury's still out on whether she can even make her own silk - see all the earlier discussion over whether she's a void creature or a spider) so if she starts the game being captured that seems pretty straightforward.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That gets me thinking, does hornet have some kind of Silk gland like a spider or did she smuggle some silk under her robe and wait for the right moment? Is her silk spool literal thing or a metaphorical one, and if the former, where does she hold it?
And should I really be asking these questions, knowing full well the consequences of diving too deep into the potential hidden workings of a cartoon insect videogame character.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure Hornet does not have a silk gland, she was raised by and born to the Spiders but she is not a spider. Notice she looks nothing like any of the Spiders we meet throughout the game, not even her mother Herrah. I would assume she just has a bunch of spidersilk spooled under her robes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She does a cool spider walk backdash thing in the trailer, so that's neat

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure Hornet does not have a silk gland, she was raised by and born to the Spiders but she is not a spider. Notice she looks nothing like any of the Spiders we meet throughout the game, not even her mother Herrah. I would assume she just has a bunch of spidersilk spooled under her robes.

Her head spikes are the same as Herrah's, it's just not immediately noticeable because Herrah wears a weird veil with a mask on top of it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The whole issue isn't really helped by the fact that she's a hybrid of two different bugs but named after a third, unrelated species. It's like if you had a mule and named her goat. That's not how names should work.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
I plan to name all my children "human", personally

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Originally Hornet was going to have been trained by the Queen of The Hive, hence the name. It’s unfortunate all that Hive stuff got cut, I would’ve liked to have seen more bees.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hello, new phone background.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Tombot posted:

That gets me thinking, does hornet have some kind of Silk gland like a spider or did she smuggle some silk under her robe and wait for the right moment? Is her silk spool literal thing or a metaphorical one, and if the former, where does she hold it?
And should I really be asking these questions, knowing full well the consequences of diving too deep into the potential hidden workings of a cartoon insect videogame character.

In the trailer, when Hornet hits enemies what looks like small strands of white come out, and her silk spool is refilled a little. So I'm going to go ahead and say that she doesn't have a silk gland and that the silk and spool are literal. But probably also magical and/or metaphorical too.

Plus in the lava boss intro at 0:58 in the trailer you can see what looks like puppeteer strings on it and its arms. That's got some cool implications for the story for me given that you're going up instead of down.

Well that's enough words and speculation from me about a game we've only seen the trailer for.

Super jazzed though, I only just 111% Hollow Knight two weeks ago (I'm not good enough to finish godhome, and I'm okay with this)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving incredible.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

This guy has produced some amazing art

http://ktsouko.starfree.jp/cHK.html

and yes, even the anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdHskxJrSnw

I edited the background of the first to something darker for a desktop background

NoMas fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 3, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Those are fantastic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
New dev post from Team Cherry, with some small Silksong details at the end

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The stags survived :unsmith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...that looks like it is really EVERY boss, minus pallet swaps, right?

Not sure why Godseeker is around, then :colbert:

(Tiso gets a pass)

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

15 minutes of gameplay, still no release date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBIdFBJoIU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbGYfoVxb3E

They're about to showcase Silksong at the Nintendo Direct Treehouse

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

It looks so so so good. I want it today.
Edit: No release date still. Coming “soon”

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
The second boss fight in the demo is so sick. Just... Inject this in my veins until I OD, please.