Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

honest question- has any other game led to a thread to reach 83 pages on nothing more than a trailer? i'm kind of in awe at the amount of hype around this game with almost zero hype machine being run by the developer

Duke Nuke'em Forever and Charles Barkely 2 both got way up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Elden Ring did too

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

honest question- has any other game led to a thread to reach 83 pages on nothing more than a trailer? i'm kind of in awe at the amount of hype around this game with almost zero hype machine being run by the developer

Never underestimate the goon's dedication to reposting the same three unfunny jokes for close to a hundred pages.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
didn't star citizen have, like, an entire subforum for a while

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

there's a trailer for this game??

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread is about a game?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Tachyon posted:

You're logged in mate, the word filter isn't turned on

I know! I'm complaining about how ineffective weapons are in most metroidvanias like this. The new Prince of Persia game comes to mind also. Giant swords, slowly slapping and caressing a monster to death with, apparently, the flat of the blade.

If there's some kind of stance breaking like in Sekiro or something like that, it's different. These fools are straight up letting me slap them a million times before dying.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Malignant hype

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like we were just talking about earlier, I don't think it's at all correct to say there is only the trailer as hype. The trailer itself is a follow-up to a promise made during crowdfunding of a game that attained widespread acclaim and popularity. The trailer was then followed up with a live demo at Nintendo Treehouse, which can't have been trivial to line up. That trailer and demo were, technically, the only direct marketing for Hollow Knight: Silksong, the video game with that name, when his thread started, but even being able to let Silksong market itself is a position they had to make an entire other video game (and market that) to be in.

It's kind of a technical point but it's never only a trailer when this kind of thing happens, it's a trailer with an entire story behind it, for something people were already waiting for.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Oh yeah to be clear I wasn't being snarky there. I'm serious when I say it's really impressive how much widespread anticipation this sequel is getting. Almost any other studio would have been cranking out constant teasers and it really shows that if you have a strong game then most marketing is wasted money

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh yeah to be clear I wasn't being snarky there. I'm serious when I say it's really impressive how much widespread anticipation this sequel is getting. Almost any other studio would have been cranking out constant teasers and it really shows that if you have a strong game then most marketing is wasted money

I mean not really. There are 83 pages here but 70 of them are people getting increasingly annoyed and frustrated at the lack of communication and it has become so synonymous with the game that industry stuff jokes about it. It also means that people are building themselves up to likely unrealistic expectations in terms of quality. (Not that the game will be bad but that the lack of communication means people are left to fill in the gaps themselves, which would lead to disappointment if it ends up being 'only' as good as Hollow Knight.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ImpAtom posted:

I mean not really. There are 83 pages here but 70 of them are people getting increasingly annoyed and frustrated at the lack of communication and it has become so synonymous with the game that industry stuff jokes about it. It also means that people are building themselves up to likely unrealistic expectations in terms of quality. (Not that the game will be bad but that the lack of communication means people are left to fill in the gaps themselves, which would lead to disappointment if it ends up being 'only' as good as Hollow Knight.)

That would be the case no matter what

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

It will actually be the greatest game ever made and send me into new heights of transcendent pleasure.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I actually don't care at all and am just having fun OP

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I care a lot and am extremely mad and crying, and also I'm having fun

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

Funny thought that they've boxed themselves into a Half-Life episode 3 corner, I'm confident they at least made a fun game though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the solution to the pagliacci dilemma: if everyone is a clown, we can entertain each other

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Funny thought that they've boxed themselves into a Half-Life episode 3 corner, I'm confident they at least made a fun game though.

It's hard to imagine it not being, at worst, a pretty good Metroidvania.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think it will be surprise dropped. The hype behind it is high enough that someone at Sony/MS/Nintendo/Valve would leak it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

About to become the most annoying person in this thread.

I'm mostly looking forward to the lore videos that will come out after the game does.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This post is really bad, imo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Martman posted:

I care a lot and am extremely mad and crying, and also I'm having fun

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

About to become the most annoying person in this thread.

I'm mostly looking forward to the lore videos that will come out after the game does.

mossbag is probably glad for the break to work on his own game but I'm really looking forward to him making more Hollow Knight videos.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

ColdPie posted:

This post is really bad, imo

I disagree.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"a rushed post will be bad forever but Silksong will never come out" -Shigeru Miyamoto

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Vaporware shitshoe

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fingers crossed for Silksong DLC where you play as the Knight

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Electromax posted:

Fingers crossed for Silksong DLC where you play as the Knight

Welp, this did it. I've stared too deep into the abyss.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The real question on everyones minds: when will the 3rd game come out?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The real question on everyones minds: when will the 3rd game come out?

look forward to Hollow Knight: The Precepts of Zote, coming in 2055

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fedule posted:

Like we were just talking about earlier, I don't think it's at all correct to say there is only the trailer as hype. The trailer itself is a follow-up to a promise made during crowdfunding of a game that attained widespread acclaim and popularity.

a promise made.......

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The promise has been made.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

b̶͔͕̩̱̥̅̀́͌̈́͠ą̵͚̭̥͗̾͘p̶̢̻͍̭̱̈́̓̃͐̕ͅa̵̠̰̹̻̳̒̅̕ǹ̷̼͇̭͇͉͗̈́ͅå̶͕̈́̎̀̿͝d̷̡̬͚̹͇̝͌͑͠a̵̪̻͑̈́̋̇̚

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

repiv posted:

b̶͔͕̩̱̥̅̀́͌̈́͠ą̵͚̭̥͗̾͘p̶̢̻͍̭̱̈́̓̃͐̕ͅa̵̠̰̹̻̳̒̅̕ǹ̷̼͇̭͇͉͗̈́ͅå̶͕̈́̎̀̿͝d̷̡̬͚̹͇̝͌͑͠a̵̪̻͑̈́̋̇̚

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

repiv posted:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

repiv posted:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

(shaw!)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Hollow Knight Silksong: Sisyphean Hype Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still looking forward to Silksong and I think it will eventually be released. That said, I am fully prepared for and expecting disappointment tomorrow morning.

repiv posted: