Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looking forward to this week.

Famous clown Pagliacci will be performing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
One minute until da big show!

I can't wait for Silksong to be featured!!!

edit:

Koburn fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 29, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR4DjYczINM

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm excited for Silksong's pending rebrand as a DLC for Vampire Survivors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

I'm excited for Silksong's pending rebrand as a DLC for Vampire Survivors.

Not going to lie I'd play the poo poo out of Hollow Survivors.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want a Classicvania game set in Hollow Knight world.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Honest non circlejerk question. What’s the appeal of classicvania style games? Tried to get into the bloodstained retro game and I beat it and went like. Ok. I could see academically enjoying it as a speed game to develop system mastery but the weapon choice and exploration is a big part of what I like of the Iga-style stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Honest non circlejerk question. What’s the appeal of classicvania style games? Tried to get into the bloodstained retro game and I beat it and went like. Ok. I could see academically enjoying it as a speed game to develop system mastery but the weapon choice and exploration is a big part of what I like of the Iga-style stuff.

Sometimes you just gotta go kick Dracula's rear end with a whip while wearing a leather skirt while some bitchin' chiptunes play.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Castlevania in particular has an extremely deliberate timing and feel to its combat and jumping that is mostly unique to that series. Mastering a limited tool set against an increasingly difficult juggling of challenges that push up against said tool set is a lot of the appeal. It's nice to get a new one every so often.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

It's fun

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It’s the wall chicken

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never liked classic Castlevania gameplay, even when Castlevania was new -- I am old -- because they are very hard (often in ways that feel unfair, like an enemy coming in off-screen while you're mid-jump to knock you into a pit for an instant death) and have no save progression. We have learned a lot of lessons since the NES era and I am not very interested in returning to that era of design.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If you want classic-vania, then I recommend Infernax. It takes the formula and bring it forwards to modern design sensibilities. It looks absolutely fantastic as well, especially the bosses which deliberately crack out of the 8-bit era for glorious sprites

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

If you want classic-vania, then I recommend Infernax. It takes the formula and bring it forwards to modern design sensibilities. It looks absolutely fantastic as well, especially the bosses which deliberately crack out of the 8-bit era for glorious sprites

Whoah that looks amazing.

Bapagracias

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Whoah that looks amazing.

Bapagracias

It does have a flaw in that some of the mid-game dungeons have excessively frustrating insta-death jumping challenges, but they patched in a "no insta-death pit" mode that you can toggle on or off and it cures the problem 100%.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/charlieintel/status/1785308459543523741?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I have never liked classic Castlevania gameplay, even when Castlevania was new -- I am old -- because they are very hard (often in ways that feel unfair, like an enemy coming in off-screen while you're mid-jump to knock you into a pit for an instant death) and have no save progression. We have learned a lot of lessons since the NES era and I am not very interested in returning to that era of design.

I agree with this completely and I loved Infernax, I wouldn't call it a classicvania at all. Visually maybe, but it doesn't play like one.

and consider playing it twice, the evil playthrough is very hosed up/ funny

gore :nws:

Koburn fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

oh yeah, infernax was pretty good. kind of a little simon's questy in its dungeon and world design too. and some fun secret characters/options for multiple playthroughs.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Classicvania is better than Metroidvania

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

guppy posted:

Castlevania III definitely had passwords for saves though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The short answer is that they're less about execution and more about figuring out what to do in the first place. Crossposting myself from the Metroid thread:

cheetah7071 posted:

Castlevania in particular has an approach to difficulty that I think was relatively common in NES games and not so popular now. I don't want to call it 'outdated' because I love it and it makes me feel sad that games like it aren't being made anymore, but it's definitely a completely different paradigm

The idea in Castlevania is that each room is more of a puzzle than a reflexes challenge. Everything you do is kind of chunky and inflexible. Your whip has a noticeable windup. Your jump completely locks you in, with no air control. Every attack you make, whether the whip or a subweapon, has a well-defined attack arc and is completely useless against anything approaching from a different direction--and you can't switch your subweapon on the fly. So the intent--or, at least, what I assume the intent is, is that you hit a new room, take a bunch of damage or die (because your tools are not well-suited for on-the-fly problem solving), and then ask yourself "what could I have done differently?" Should you jump or stay on the ground? Move towards the enemies, or wait for them to come to you? Should you pick up the axe in that candle, or is the cross you already have more useful here? And then on your next attempt, you try it out. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Crucially, almost nothing in the game is hard once you have a good plan. The difficulty isn't in execution, it's in coming up with the plan in the first place.

This can feel brutally hard or unfair because, well, you're expected to take damage or die as you're learning the stage. That's the game communicating to you that you haven't yet found a solution to the room. But I think the reputation they get as unfair mostly comes from thinking about their difficulty in terms other than what the game was trying to be. It's really really hard to just sight-read your way through a room, but the game is about finding a way to make it easy on your second or third or fourth attempt.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Saves in particular were pretty much only absent from the NA version of castlevania 1 specifically, and present in all the others. Enemies appearing out of nowhere to knock you into a pit is more of a Ninja Gaiden thing than a castlevania thing, I think. I've played all of the classicvanias in the last year and I can't think of any spots like that off the top of my head. They might exist and I'm just forgetting but they're definitely not all over the place.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

hatty posted:

Classicvania is better than Metroidvania

:hmmyes:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cheetah7071 posted:

The short answer is that they're less about execution and more about figuring out what to do in the first place.

really good answer, both a completely valid preference and also why i have nearly zero interest in them compared to a game like HK lol

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yup. Thanks for da answers. Sadly not for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i feel like there's probably a middle ground where what's required of you is communicated to you via context once you see the obstacles / level, making it an exercise in reading an implicit "language" rather than pure trial-and-error; this is also about where i would draw a distinction between design i personally don't like and just plain bad design

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i feel like there's probably a middle ground where what's required of you is communicated to you via context once you see the obstacles / level, making it an exercise in reading an implicit "language" rather than pure trial-and-error; this is also about where i would draw a distinction between design i personally don't like and just plain bad design

That is how Castlevania works though. You know what you need to do and what tools you have to do it and you need to decide how to use those tools. There is an element of "next time I do this I should come in prepared with (x)" but that's because the game is designed with the assumption you'd play it multiple times trying to improve your score.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That is how Castlevania works though. You know what you need to do and what tools you have to do it and you need to decide how to use those tools. There is an element of "next time I do this I should come in prepared with (x)" but that's because the game is designed with the assumption you'd play it multiple times trying to improve your score.

Right, I don't doubt it, and I have enjoyed some old(er) Castlevania games, although I never went all the way back to the NES. Just speaking generally.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Replying here to add to the post count on this thread to help fool the next poor soul that thinks 150+ comments in one night must mean good news!!!!!!!!!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
there is no hope.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

what a terrible night to bap a nada

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Silksong real

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Dear Editor: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Silksong.
Papa says 'If you see it in The Sun it's so.'
Please tell me the truth: is there a Silksong?
----Virginia O'Hanlon.
115 West Ninety-fifth street."

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Silksong. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Silksong. It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Silksong! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch all the Nintendo Directs to catch Silksong, but even if they did not see any announcements from Team Cherry, what would that prove? Nobody sees Team Cherry, but that is no sign that there is no Silksong. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

[...]

No Silksong! Thank God! It lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, people will continue to look forward to playing Silksong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

what is a bug? a miserable little pile of precepts

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Saves in particular were pretty much only absent from the NA version of castlevania 1 specifically, and present in all the others. Enemies appearing out of nowhere to knock you into a pit is more of a Ninja Gaiden thing than a castlevania thing, I think. I've played all of the classicvanias in the last year and I can't think of any spots like that off the top of my head. They might exist and I'm just forgetting but they're definitely not all over the place.

It's probably the Medusa heads people are referring to. Very traumatic if you don't cotton on to how they spawn and your windows of jumping opportunity.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Infernax is SUPER good. I am not sure what to think of the developers, they are VERY keen to make sure you know that their game is EXTREME!, but the game is like a love letter to Simon's Quest, it's terrific.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

It's ok, Balatro exists now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I had a dream that Silksong came out. There were charms but every one had useless effects like "+7.5% hp but you also take 7.5% more damage." I woke up thinking it had been out for months and I had given up on it... it was such a relief realizing it'll never come out and disappoint me like that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sorry your nightmare became reality, silksong is now a live service game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
+3% damage to radiance infused enemies