Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bogart posted:

It’s out now, though. Are you all not seeing the link? I’m having a tough time with the Cursed Lace fight.

You got it mixed up with Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought there was news. But I don't mind there not being news because I don't care how long the game takes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did you get the bouncy larva boss in the forgotten crossroads?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to play again as a break from other stuff. Made it through and killed Hornet on my first try. I remember the first time that fight was hard. I'm wondering if soul master is gonna be easy now, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After hornet the difficulty in platforming definitely climbs. I totally screwed up the bridge bit and finally wasn't able to fetch my ghost. But now I am at the city and things should open up more. Looking forward to retrying soul dude.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

Well, I just found this guy.
I was doing some exploring, and I got to a spot that stopped me earlier. A narrow chimney with spikes on either side, with narrow gaps between. I assumed that I needed some kind of wall-jump item.
I had just learned that I can pogo on spikes with my nail, so I tried to just bounce my way up. And it worked!
A little further along, and I see eyes glowing in the background of a pretty obvious boss arena. I got quickly pasted by the boss, but now I have a new spot to focus on.

Huh? The bouncy larva boss is kinda hard to miss and is the easiest in the game. It just bounces around.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Trip report: soul master still hard.

Maybe I'll go find a piece of ore. I think there is one I can get right now under the city in the water somewhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The egg is what you give the person to the right of town that you found. And yes, those trees come into play later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got soul master down. Definitely easier on 2nd play through. So to quickly grab the stuff I need to clear zones, it is: mine > then tear or wings in whatever order, then that's it, right? I can then start doing zone clears?

For some reason I feel like I am missing a traversal ability.

Oh I know...the cloak. I can get that as soon as I can get to that area, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vil posted:

I will say that if you can make it through Queen's Garden's without wings to unlock the shortcut, a certainly infamously hated sidequest is considerably less annoying if you've still got the forgotten crossroads, rather than infected.

Once you get the wings is when infected starts? I know I did that quest before. It's not too too bad if you take your time and have a course mapped out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only time it really comes into play is the flower delivery, right? Otherwise you can just take a taxi from one side to the other. You have to be a little more careful, moving, as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

Oh poo poo y'all, it's a Progress Update:

I went back to the Mantis Village to finish exploring, and I ran into good ol' Solaire Quirrel! He told me that the city is close by, and I should get my Nail improved before taking on the Boss Mantis (I don't know if he's Psycho or not). I poked around some more, and rescued a damsel in distress! She was very happy to be going home!
I managed to find the bridge at the end of the Pilgrims Way. That was a nasty bit of precision jumping needed, but I made it to the City of Tears. Not quite as popping as I expected a city to be, but it suits the Dark Souls vibe. I saw Hornet again, and she mentioned a terrible Dark Secret that I can uncover. Looks like there's a big baddie in that Black Egg Temple way back when.
I found the Nailsmith! As I got closer, and I started hearing the clank... clank... CLANK... of the anvil get louder, I had a huge grin on my face. So now I have a sharp Nail, and I can explore a few new areas!

I found a vendor who wants to buy some artifacts that I've picked up. Travelers journals, and king sculpture, etc. Is it ok to sell these things? Or am I loving myself over down the line, as capitalism tends to do?

Anyway, still loving every minute of it. Some of the platforming challenges feel a bit frustrating, but I just come back later if that's the case.

You can sell stuff, but don't do it unless you plan on spending the $ immediately. It's not a bad idea to sell yer poo poo, then run to dirtmouth and buy out the vendors. Once the vendors have nothing for you, $$ goes into a fountain, eventually. And when that is done, there are a couple end game upgrades that are very $$.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Same. I got all the movement skills. Now I'm gonna do the seer to get ore for the 2 ore upgrade. Once that is done I go deepness. Then start clearing each zone. Oddly, some bosses have been harder some easier this time. For instance malwuk or whatever it is called I one shottes 1st time. This time not so much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wanted to get white palace done early and checked the requirements. Then I thought about my first play through and have no idea how I got that high. The only dream boss I did was Zote and I know I didn't do Elder Hsu and thought I skipped Markoth. I know I tried Markoth a bunch. But if I didn't do him then I couldn't have gotten 1800 essence. So I must have done him and forgotten.

You would think I'd remember beating him, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I've got the stupid flower quest to do then...I guess farm geo and get to 1800. I guess I could finish doing the 2 dreamers but I haven't even got to their areas in exploration yet so will just do it when I wander by.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Other than the white palace, what was your hardest platforming challenge?

For me, by far, it's the soul vessel piece where you have to bounce on caterpillars. gently caress that one so hard. Only reason I got it done this time is I put hiveblood on and waited to heal between each attempt.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, gently caress those guys. Easily my #1 worst enemy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the traitor lord is Vexing me. i have defeated them on two previous playthroughs and must regain the skills required for a third

That's where I am headed next. TL > Flower > fight a couple dudes for 1800 > white palace. Or I will do TL before white palace just for the extra mask.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

Quick question: I found a charm that lets me dash more often, and also dash downwards. I didn't think this was very useful, then I remembered a few places where the ground felt "crumbly" when I walked on it. Jumping and slashing didn't break through. Is down-dashing the key to breaking these spots?

Just do the soul master fight. You can progress without beating him, but it requires skipping things. He is really the one you should be fighting at this point. He's hard, but once you get his patterns down, not too bad. Especially compared to some of the stuff coming up. And once you beat him, if will open a lot more stuff up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

OK, I'm going to head back and concentrate on Soul Master. I just farmed up some Geo to buy another slot for Charms. My current loadout is Longnail, Steady Body, Quick Focus, and Grubsong.
I thought about subbing out Grubsong and Steady Body for either Lifeblood Heart, or Stalwart Shell.

Any Charm combo suggestions for Soul Master?

Quick Focus, Shaman Stone, Grubsong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

Why isn’t anyone talking about Silksong? I get replaying Hollow Knight for continuity, but come on, I’m stuck on the Beetle Prince fight. Any tips?

You need to not get hit and hit him till he stops fighting. He will then give you the key to the bugsmot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've grown to absolute hate the flower quest. 1st time I made it on my 1st try.

This time...I'm 15+ and still going. Absolutely maddening. 5 times in that final little room. I put on shard shadow to make sure I'd get that first jump and now twice I've screwed up the 2nd jump. I'm wondering if the difference is 1st time was Switch handheld, this time it is PS5 on the tv. I think I'm at the point I'm so over it that I am just loving up because I'm getting too careful at the end.

Ugh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxxidation posted:

the shadow charm makes it harder. extends your dash distance juuuuust enough so that you're near-guaranteed to faceplant into the thorns every time

Well I finished. Twice. The first time I had forgotten the flower. :suicide:

And then I couldn't get to the traitor guy cuz of the extra dash distance. But I set my dream gate at him so don't have to worry about it again. Next time he goes down. Then I'll start on the WP. Ugh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

Grimm wasn't in the game at launch. Also, you do need to do Path of Pain.

Need? Hahahah.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Thanks for the tip. Took a few tries, but I beat him!

At least I thought I beat him. Motherfucker caught me off guard with the spooky ghost dive and killed me.

Next round:

Booya. Off to do more exploring.

Awesome, you made it over the hump. He's a mofo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
drat..so close on traitor lord. As I was dying Cloth did his thing but then I zapped to the bench. Missed him by 1 hit. Ugh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got the TL and the easy ending done. Gotta move on to white palace now. Sigh.

Maybe I'll do the grimm troupe thing. Never did that before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got through the first two sections of WP. Had to take a break after that. I know I'm at the part that was hardest for me the first time. I forget how much further I have to go.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
White Palace done! :barf:

Now just gotta go all the way down then I guess do Grimm for the first time and then get to work on the radiance. Whew. I hate that place. But I made it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

*Chants ominously* PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN

I've seen it. I can't do it. Even if I practiced non-stop for a week, I couldn't do it. Only reason I could get through the WP is because it has constant checkpoints.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

More Progress:

Some more exploration has brought me to Crystal Peak, Resting Grounds, Royal Waterways, and Deepnest. I really love how each area feels so radically different from the others, and not just a palette swapped rehash.

I have a Dream Nail now, and I can fight ghosts, and read other bug's thoughts! Cool! I have so far taken out Xero, Gorb, and No Eyes. I took a few tries at the samurai ghost who does the crazy dash attack. I get that I have to swing just as he charges at me, but I don't quite have the timing down yet.

Also knocked over Brooding Mawlek.

Exploration continues! I've put over 22 hours into the game so far, and I am still entranced.

E: Goddamn banker hosed off with my money.

She's...um...soaking in a hot spring...somewhere. It's not a place you'd normally go back to if you've found it already which is why i've given you a pretty blatant hint.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

I am really in love with the whole art design of this game. I love the look of the areas, right from how Dirtmouth feels old and abandoned when you arrive. The little sounds that each character makes really gives them each personality. I keep catching myself humming the song the Miner sings while chipping away at the stone. The anxious, sad mumbling that the grubs make when they're trapped almost sounds like they're saying "why me?"

Anyway, made a ton of progress. Picked up a couple of items to open up new areas for exploration; a double jump item, and a drop of amber or something that lets me swim in acid. I loved running into the dung beetle that looked like a Luchador. Oh, and I did something to trigger an infection of orange stuff all over the Forgotten Crossroads, so that place is a hot mess now.

Does that Charm from the dung beetle do anything else besides make me smell bad?

Do the Charms with similar effects stack? For Nail reach, Soul build, etc.

You have all traversal items now so can do anything you see.

The defenders crest does a small tick of damage every second something is in the aura. Oh, and you can't sell your stuff to the guy in the city if you are wearing it. And it does have interactions with other charms.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This isn't the hollow knight thread? Hahah.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HMS Beagle posted:

I've seen what happened to the Elden Ring fanbase. I can't go down this road.

What fan base? A rumored game can't have a fan base.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man, you guys are like a bunch of starving dogs, clamoring for scraps at the dinner table.

It's an article in a print magazine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like Hornet got horny at mardi gras.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's been over a month since we didn't have any new news.

But, I found this guy on youtube who is a speedrunner who has been uploading these pretty entertaining vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4qYMrC2so

I think that is the first. There are 4 or 5 on his channel so far. Something to look at while waiting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dammit. Stop posting so much. 1 post = no news. 15 posts = no news but now I'm disappointed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

That's ok. I'm already playing silksong on my atari 2600.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing he missed Elder Hu, or whatever that guy is. He's pretty out of the way, especially by the time you get the dream nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lady of the grimm troupe = the one who wants all your $$? Or did I miss someone.