Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

guaranteed i'm not the first person to say it but uh, wow, godmaster really wants a lot from me at the end of it huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if a friend helps you find the eternal ordeal then are you really friends

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

when's Zotesong

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i mean when i found that out i just said "i've had my fifteen dollars' worth of fun" and stayed playing another video game instead. they made a really good game which is 111% my jam and 1% not and frankly i don't see any reason to ask for more than that

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah, speaking as a disabled person "game is too hard" is not a disability issue and conflating the two does an immense disservice to features that really are disability issues and should have the force of moral sanction behind them, e.g. colorblind modes, subtitles, text-to-speech, hold/toggle settings, etc.

there's nothing wrong with difficulty settings if they suit the game you're trying to make but there's also nothing wrong with setting an objective bar that players have to improve themselves to surpass. not only because each can be fun in different ways (although there is that!) but also because they mean different things.

imo a lot of this is closely related to a really narrow and restrictive view of failure in games, as something to be avoided at all costs and which games themselves shuffle under the rug as if to say "that didn't happen" rather than exploring it as drama or part of the journey. it's not solely an issue of player perspective -- mainstream games have basically taught people to approach games this way -- but that perspective or culture is, for better or worse, the battleground on which the point is fought.

i often hear "but what about disabled players?" when the game difficulty discourse warms up and while i'm absolutely certain that it's coming from a place of genuine concern 90% of the time it always felt a little gross to me, like they're assuming that people with disabilities have a hive mind or something

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

bapalotta

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Hollow Knight was already goated

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i can't believe hollow knight silksong was turned into a card battler roguelike

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i haven't been happy in years :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The real question on everyones minds: when will the 3rd game come out?

look forward to Hollow Knight: The Precepts of Zote, coming in 2055