Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Coming as a complete surprise, Team Cherry announced that the expected final DLC to their outstanding 2017 release Hollow Knight would not be a DLC, but in fact would be a full-length sequel.

Hollow Knight: Silksong

The release date has not yet been revealed, so here's what we know so far:

Initial Release Platforms
Windows, Mac, Linux & Nintendo Switch - more to come in the future

quote:

Hollow Knight: Silksong is the epic sequel to Hollow Knight, the award winning action-adventure of bugs and heroes. As the lethal hunter Hornet, journey to all-new lands, discover new powers, battle vast hordes of bugs and beasts and uncover ancient secrets tied to your nature and your past.

Game Features

Discover a whole new kingdom! Explore coral forests, mossy grottos, gilded cities and misted moors as you ascend to the shining citadel at the top of the world.
Engage in lethal acrobatic action! Wield a whole new suite of nimble moves as you dance between foes in deadly, beautiful combat.
Craft powerful tools! Master an ever-expanding arsenal of weapons, traps and mechanisms to confound your enemies and explore new heights.
Solve shocking quests! Hunt down rare beasts, unearth ancient mysteries and search for lost treasures to fulfil the wishes of the downtrodden and restore the kingdom’s hope. Prepare for the unexpected!
Face over 150 all-new foes! Beasts and hunters, assassins and kings, monsters and knights – defeat them all with bravery and skill!
Experience a stunning orchestral score! Hollow Knight’s award-winning composer, Christopher Larkin, returns to bring melancholy melodies, symphonic strings and heart-thumping, soul strumming boss themes to the adventure.
Challenge Silk Soul mode! Once you conquer the game, test your skills in an all-new mode that spins the game into a unique, challenging experience.

Reveal Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAknD_9U7c

Reveal post from Team Cherry
Official site
Hollow Knight thread

I haven't played Hollow Knight - should I?

YES. Hollow Knight is available on nearly every platform and is often on sale for as low as :10bux:. It features lush, hand-drawn art, a fantastic and moving score, and dozens of hours of exploration and combat across a truly massive and often surprising world. It also has three free DLC packs with plenty more to explore, as well as optional, extremely difficult content for those who fall in love with the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Ground floor of a thread about the sequel to a fantastic game. Maybe link the HK thread in the OP?

Also we need a thread tag, I vote for Art.

It's in the links block near the bottom already. And yeah, I rarely post threads so I forgot. There's no PC/Switch tag, so Art is fine by me (or just Switch)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What’s on your QoL wishlist?

Mine is:
- Passive items that don’t take up charm slots (basically make the compass like the lantern, and possibly others like the geo swarm charm)
- more benches, more fast travel locations
- benches closer to bosses

Honestly I can’t think of much else. Hollow Knight was very close to a perfect game for me. I just want more!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

15 minutes of gameplay, still no release date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBIdFBJoIU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

It looks so so so good. I want it today.
Edit: No release date still. Coming “soon”

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2019

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ll definitely preorder when the time comes. I hope there’s some sort of deluxe version - I feel like it’s criminal that I’ve only given Team Cherry $15 thus far.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

God I want a release date announcement more than anything. I could be so happy to sink dozens of hours into this right now.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

C-Euro posted:

lol I saw this announcement and had the exact same thought. If we don't get it here I might just say to hell with it and start a new game in HK to pass the time.

I would do the same except both my my left joycons are undergoing repair right now. I may just have to double dip on PS4. Happy to give Team Cherry a few more bucks anyway.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ymgve posted:

Not sure why people expected news in this Direct, but there was no Silksong info at all in it.

Just wishful thinking, that’s all.

In other news, a friend gifted my the Hollow Knight official art book. The cover is absolutely gorgeous but the binding wasn’t well done and the first few pages already fell out. Bummer.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just started Hollow Knight again since it’s free for PS+ members this month. It’s been a few years since I played and man, it’s still so fantastic and wonderful. I’m trying without the compass this time to really force myself to learn the map. I never did the final bits of DLC so I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You’re doing great. You can get a nail upgrade relatively soon. Without spoiling anything, there is an NPC who will do it for you and you will know when you find him. If you want to know where/when it’s once you get to the City of Tears, go to the left after the initial descent.

You’ll come back to these initial areas over and over so don’t worry to much about missing anything. I don’t think there’s anything permanently missable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You’re totally playing correctly. You still have a massive world to discover. Don’t be afraid to get lost and you definitely have the right attitude with tough enemies and bosses. Mark ‘em on your map and come back when you’re feeling more confident or you’ve exhausted other paths. Right about now the game really opens up and there are a ton of different places you can explore! Have fun and keep posting.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Counterpoint: It's more fun to not do that and instead beat the boss by honing your skills instead of your gear.

Agreed. If you’re really struggling it’s ok to come back in almost all cases but through practice you can usually overcome any challenge even with no or few upgrades.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Infected Crossroads is maybe the only design decision I don’t like in HK. I love the more dangerous enemies but blocking old paths is just a nuisance.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s the element that’s most striking to me in my second play through. I’m going through the game in such a wildly different order and it’s a completely different experience. It’s really making the repeat play through feel fresh and exciting.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Those goddamn jellyfish that shoot homing missiles on death with a huge AoE and knock off two hearts a shot

Yeah those guys still mess me up. I avoid killing them whenever possible.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the traitor lord is Vexing me. i have defeated them on two previous playthroughs and must regain the skills required for a third

I was also nervous going into this fight the second time and I was surprised how easily I won. It’s like a ballet - your dash gets you just out of attack range and into striking range. I had a ton of fun with it!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Mantis Lords marks the point where I stopped liking Hollow Knight and started loving it.

Agreed - this is an all-time great boss fight.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Managed to get to the boss, and got myself killed. So that's my next hurdle, at least until I get tired of dying, and I go explore elsewhere.

This boss is a roadblock for a lot of players but it’s definitely manageable at the point you’re at. You’ll be happy if you beat him before exploring too many other places. Also, if you’re getting tired of the long run back to him, I advice really thoroughly exploring the whole area around him. You may find something else you’ll be happy about.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just finished the White Palace on my second play through and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I remembered. The hallway with the spikes alternating from the ceiling and floor made me angry but the rest actually went super smoothly.

Now I just have the flower quest, King Grimm, and the Trial of the Fool, then I’ll check be done with everything in the base game and ready to check out Godhome, which wasn’t out during my initial play through!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Grimm wasn't in the game at launch.

I know. I initially played after the third DLC but before Godhome.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Working on NKG for the first time. It’s a tough fight but feels fair now that I’ve learned his attacks. I can get him to the second balloon bullet hell so all I have to do is keep working on being consistent.

Edit: Got him! What a great fight.
https://youtu.be/DQGioombiqY

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 26, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Charm spoilers It's called the Glowing Womb, it's in the Forgotten Crossroads hidden in an area where you need the Crystal flight thing. The children spawn automatically, but cost soul, so they're constantly draining you when the charm is in use. This can cause situational conflicts with the need to heal, say. You can also combine the charm with dung beetle's charm, making your children into fart suicide bombers instead.

Yep. I tried a few other strategies initially and realized pretty quickly this is a fight you’ll lose if you’re trying to heal. Not that it’s impossible, but more that the easiest way to win is to focus on not getting hit and just getting damage in where you can. Since I didn’t need soul for anything else, this was a perfect source of basically passive chip damage.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'd be happy with a release date, or even an intended release quarter. Just give me anything!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I am betrayed

Fool me once, etc.

We're all fools in here.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing about being a game dev or a composer or an animator is that none of those things is a social media manager and shouldn’t have to be

You don’t need to be social media manager to post a quick tweet that says:

“Thank you for your patience everyone. We want to make Silksong the best game possible and we still have a lot we want to do!”

I respect Team Cherry and as far as I’m concerned they have a free pass to do whatever the hell they want to do, but it sure would be nice to just get a simple “yep still working on it” message.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I hope to goodness it doesn't come out in the next few months because with Elden Ring around, I do not have time right now and I would be ultra-conflicted about which one to play.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Putting on the clown makeup again.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

The funniest option is 70 dollars digital only no game pass.

Easy day one purchase. Hollow Knight (at least with the free DLC) is absolutely worth $70.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

jeeves posted:

If the explosion of video game music on vinyl hasn’t proved anything, it’s that it is super easy to fleece gamers of their cash even when selling things other than video games and in-video game poo poo like DLC or loot boxes.

Genuinely curious what you mean here - I’m addition to other records I own, I bought a few of my favorite soundtracks. The Celeste OST in particular is one of my prized records. I guess you mean maybe people buying records when they don’t even own a turntable?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it's that vinyl is a stupid medium for digital music. Because it is.

Why is that? I enjoy the intentionality of choosing a record to play and physically putting it on. Plus I love the large and colorful gatefolds and reading the liner notes while I listen. Also there’s plenty of analog video game music, or analog elements mixed in with digital.

This is a pretty silly sweeping generalization.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Greetings. Welcome to silk song release date announcement day

Every day for the rest of your life.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Bapanada

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Happy fourth birthday to this thread and the first official Silksong announcement :toot:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

7 new posts, that can only mean one thing!

When the release date actually gets announced, there will be a hell of a lot more than 7 new posts here, I’m sure.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

Been playing through again and am stonewalled on hornet 2. I have 6 masks and coiled nail but still can't beat her. I don't remember it being this hard.

Cause it’s crazy hard. That was the fight that took me the longest to get through in my original play through.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Happy 5th anniversary, thread.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cicero posted:

Silksong + Super Mario Adventure (a co-op open world 3D platformer) for Switch 2 launch titles

Best launch day of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Switch store page got added today: https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/hollow-knight-silksong-switch/

Edit: Nevermind, Reddit is dumb and this has been here a while. I am a clown.