Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Woah, Zote's still alive in your game? I tried for like an hour to save him but there just didn't seem to be any way to avoid the vegetable salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Promise Has Been Made.

Team Cherry is just helping out with Barkley 2, out next year!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Silksong release date: Bapanada

This should be the thread title.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*sigh*

Bapanada.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
While the wheels keep rolling
And another milepost gone
All along on the road behind
Oh, can't you hear me calling?
Just like the sad whale song
🎶bapanada🎵

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's funny and sad to see everyone see a trailer and assume that it won't come out on other systems AGAIN. Come on, people. It's coming out on most places you want to play it.

Having said that, this masks-off reveal about how some of you feel about Xbox... look, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Judge Tesla posted:

What is this garbage, Xbox is a brand not a friend, Phil Spencer won't cry if I play Silksong on Switch or whatever instead.

It's a tease and I'm sorry if it struck a nerve.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree. The ideal situation is a XB only release.

Shh don't say the quiet part loud.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bogart posted:

The promise.

HAS BEEN MADE

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*sigh*

Bapanada.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I beat a lot of the bosses while I was learning to not die immediately, my lil' buddies did a LOT of the work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I won't lie, I clicked the click-bait. And I have to agree with the entire list.

It's a humor site, like The Onion but for nerd stuff.

*sigh*

Bapanada.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Wait, are you saying that list wasn't serious?

... it's complicated. You'll understand when you're older.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ColdPie posted:

I feel like Microsoft is going to own the announcement because it's coming to Game Pass at launch, but dunno.

While I think that exclusivity deals are bullshit as a concept, it's this and I'm glad it was Xbox.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It isn't exclusive, it got announced for other platforms.

I'm obviously talking specifically about the announcement rights, but I mentioned Xbox so, uh, of course that happened.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
milksong

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bapa?

Nada.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I played Dust: An Elysian Tail about 10 years ago on the 360. I barely remember it other than I think it was a metroidvania. I looked at my Series X and apparently it is not available. But it is on the switch and the PS. I find that odd because I remember it coming out on the 360 first and now Xbox doesn't even have it. Anyway, is it good?

It's Very Anime. If you're okay with that, it's pretty fun!

Hakkesshu posted:

Monster Boy is a similar metroidvania and I will always recommend it because no one has played it and it fuckin rips

One of the things that annoy me about the Monster Boy Collections is that they never include Dragon's Curse, the Turbografx-16/PC-Engine version of The Dragon's Trap. Something about the sound chip on that machine just doesn't hold up for me, but I realize that's probably a symptom of me having played the TG-16 version first.

Monster Boy is really good!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Books On Tape posted:

I played one of these, couldn't be bothered to look up which one and quit pretty early one. It starts off pretty decent, then it turns you into a pig and makes your attacks drastically worse (but hey you can butt stomp on big buttons now!!), then it turns you into a snake and does the same thing. Metroidvanias are supposed to make you stronger as the game goes on and this did the opposite. Such a chore to play.

You're meant to change beast forms as appropriate for the situation. The traversal forms aren't meant for combat. The combat forms are meant for combat. The really good combat forms come later on in those games.

Initially you can't freely change forms, IIRC.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

I will be immensely trolled if it's a gamepass exclusive D1 because getting my controller to work with it is such a nightmare.

I don't understand.

You operate the Xbox with your controller.

:colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

Oh? So you won't play with a... Nintendo 64?

It's a console, so they probably won't. Troubleshooting autoexec.bat files got them good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

Xbox may be the shittiest console but they have the best controllers

Turn on your Xbox.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s my weapon of choice for Hollow Knight.

:getin:

The only acceptable alternative to an Xbox product. It's got TWO buttons! Really takes me back...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It all has to do with intonation, like Smurfese.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I had the titular line in Silksong. "Gosh, I sure am tired of that Hollow Knight's Silksong. Bapanada."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

Getting the Godhome ending is also a hard requirement for unlocking Silksong

I'm just gonna pay for the unlock like a pleb.

jeeves posted:

The real platinum achievement of Hollow Knight is when you decide "gently caress it" and leave the game without trying to do any additional bosses.

Also achivements are a cancer upon gaming. I am pretty sure you can thank Value for popularizing adding them in Steam originally in I think the now 16 year old release of HL2:EP2, Portal, and TF2? I am pretty sure no one really gave a poo poo about the XBOX 360's gamescore poo poo until Steam added insane bullshit like "Little Rocket Man"

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, that's some PC master race BS.

This IS SA, after all. It goes PC, Sony, Nintendo, Playdate, iOS, web browser games (platform agnostic), Android, then Microsoft last always. All opinions are based upon information from at least 10 years ago, directly from your uncle who works at Nintendo.

Anyway, simply turn all Achievement notifications off (easy peasy on Xbox) and you don't have to worry about them anymore.

Unless you look.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's Bapanada, not Bapanadaaa.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
... what is the opposite of Bapanada? I feel we should get this sorted out pretty soon.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's not a muffler, it looks more like a peg for playing Battleship or Mastermind.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Ooh yeah I'm excited for this one! I have a soft spot for the PoP franchise.

Speaking of, I remember the xbox arcade remake of the 2D original being really good. Is there a good way to play that version these days?

Uh, yeah, it's called "on your current Xbox console from the 360 on up" and miss me with that apostate nonsense. 😉

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to gently caress other bugs to death with my feather duster, er, "sword."

That's the one thing I hate about this game, and metroidvanias in general. I want the enemies to die as easily as I do. Not bosses, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Tachyon posted:

You're logged in mate, the word filter isn't turned on

I know! I'm complaining about how ineffective weapons are in most metroidvanias like this. The new Prince of Persia game comes to mind also. Giant swords, slowly slapping and caressing a monster to death with, apparently, the flat of the blade.

If there's some kind of stance breaking like in Sekiro or something like that, it's different. These fools are straight up letting me slap them a million times before dying.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The video is fine. Good, hilarious, connection to Silksong in it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Honest non circlejerk question. What’s the appeal of classicvania style games? Tried to get into the bloodstained retro game and I beat it and went like. Ok. I could see academically enjoying it as a speed game to develop system mastery but the weapon choice and exploration is a big part of what I like of the Iga-style stuff.

Sometimes you just gotta go kick Dracula's rear end with a whip while wearing a leather skirt while some bitchin' chiptunes play.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Saves in particular were pretty much only absent from the NA version of castlevania 1 specifically, and present in all the others. Enemies appearing out of nowhere to knock you into a pit is more of a Ninja Gaiden thing than a castlevania thing, I think. I've played all of the classicvanias in the last year and I can't think of any spots like that off the top of my head. They might exist and I'm just forgetting but they're definitely not all over the place.

It's probably the Medusa heads people are referring to. Very traumatic if you don't cotton on to how they spawn and your windows of jumping opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Between the time when the oceans drank Buglantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas (the bug one) there was an age undreamed of. And onto this, Hornet, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Bugquilonia upon a troubled brow.

It is I, her chronicler, who al-oh-ah-one can tell thee of her saga.

Let me tell you... of the days of high adventure!