Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hollow Knight was my favorite game of the last ten years. I am so excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Zombie Guy posted:

Well, I just found this guy.
I was doing some exploring, and I got to a spot that stopped me earlier. A narrow chimney with spikes on either side, with narrow gaps between. I assumed that I needed some kind of wall-jump item.
I had just learned that I can pogo on spikes with my nail, so I tried to just bounce my way up. And it worked!
A little further along, and I see eyes glowing in the background of a pretty obvious boss arena. I got quickly pasted by the boss, but now I have a new spot to focus on.

If this is what I'm thinking of, you can do this, but it's a sequence break.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Foehammer posted:

There was only 1 copy of Silksong released, and Martin Shkreli bought it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RCarr posted:

What time is this event happening

I'm sure there are others but I have this RPS liveblog open: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/summer-game-fest-2022-liveblog

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The pandemic will continue until Silksong is released

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would definitely buy a Zote game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My second time through I did it by accident. I had the volume at 0 to avoid bothering my wife and I didn't hear him or remember that he was in that room. I felt awful.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RC Cola posted:

I should play hollow knight on PC since I beat it on the switch and I look like a guy who hasn't even beaten hollow knight. What will all of my friends think about that???

Side note apparently Lone Fungus just came out of beta and is supposed to be a very Hollow Knight inspired metroidvania. I figured y'all might want to check it out.

Side side note. I got Grime and it's pretty fun so far

I picked up Lone Fungus and I don't think it's especially Hollow Knight inspired. It's also not nearly as polished. I am, however, enjoying myself maybe 5-6 bosses in.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rappaport posted:

Making pals with the Mantis Lords is a great touch. Okay little buddy, you fought well, off you go!

I really enjoy that the other mantises salute you instead of attacking afterward.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm, I thought I made this reply already but I don't see it.

I played through White Palace for only the second time ever, despite it being my 6th or 7th time through the game. Last time I did it (on my first-ever playthrough), it took me forever and was very frustrating; this time it was surprisingly fast and I was really shocked when I realized I had reached the end. Strangely, many things I do worse now than I did in my first playthrough, like the Mantis Lords, which I one-shot the first time and have never one-shot since.

The Skeleton King posted:

Been playing through again and am stonewalled on hornet 2. I have 6 masks and coiled nail but still can't beat her. I don't remember it being this hard.

Hornet 2 (do we really need to spoil this, this far into release? Or ever?) is another fight I didn't have much trouble with the first time but has been a huge roadblock every time since. This time I think ended up cheesing it by equipping Stalwart Shell and Quick Slash and just facetanking the damage. This same strategy also trivialized Watcher Knights, which has always been a very hard fight for me in the past, and I think 1-2 other bosses.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Skeleton King posted:

Thank you for this suggestion. It worked beautifully. Now I'm stuck on traitor lord. The fight itself isn't even the problem here. It's the fact that there's no benches close by, so it's a 7 minute platforming journey back to the fucker every time. I hate that poo poo.

That is the single worst fight in the game. It used to be easy, and shortly after launch they decided it was too easy and made it extremely hard. The main problem is that getting hit costs you two masks of health. I think I did the same thing for that as my previous recommendation, but added Grubsong. Can't remember for sure. I know it was close and I just barely made it. I also hate the fact that you have to fight normal enemies first, so it's questionable whether you'll have full health/soul when the fight starts. Definitely get Dreamgate first and set your gate right outside the boss chamber. Be careful about where, specifically, you put the gate; I accidentally put my gate right where your shade spawns when you die in that fight, and it was annoying.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alternate take: the game has been complete for a year now and they are loving with us

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oenis posted:

Silksong is going to be a lifestyle game that takes the rest of your human lifetime to finish, only to realize that there's a good ending for which you haven't fulfilled the requirements.

Life imitates art

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What? There is definitely combat in the first Ori. Ori 1 is Blind Forest, Ori 2 is Will of the Wisps.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I almost like that the Hive is separate and has little connection to the rest of the game. It makes it feel more real in a way, like there's this whole world where some things interact and some don't, rather than being forced to tie neatly in with everything else. This just happens to be where the bees are and that's okay. This sounds insane to me even as I type it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The only thing that has even the slightest possibility of not destroying that company is a complete walkback of their position. It doesn't sound to me like that's happening, instead they think there's a line they can tiptoe up to and not cross and developers will acquiesce, and they want to try to guess where it is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In case anyone was wondering, Silksong's release was not announced at the indie showcase (you can also tell this because the thread doesn't have 600 new posts). If you want to see what was announced, the Verge has a rundown here, and there are others as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am also excited for the Shantae game, but yeah, I don't care about anything else in there. Maybe a couple of them will turn out to be awesome, we'll see.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cactus posted:

Hey that Ultross game looks really cool doesn't it. It has that whole LSD/shrooms vibe going on. Hope the gameplay is tight and the lore is as trippy as the visuals.

It looks really pretty but I like my Metroidvanias with simple combat systems, I don't want to have to memorize a bunch of combos which is what it sounded like Ultros wants you to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no idea if it's any good but I learned today in the wake of Riot Forge's shutdown that they published a Metroidvania last year. (Riot Forge apparently published indie devs making things set in their universe. I had no idea it existed until it didn't anymore.) Reviews are pretty positive.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haiku is not as good, and it certainly isn't as big, but it is a good game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cactus posted:

I really hope they just do an insta-drop with zero announcement or marketing. Just as an experiment more than anything else, let's see if we can make a totally self-marketing game, zero dollars spent on PR, ads, any of that stuff. Let's see how well the game does completely on its own through nothing but word of mouth.

Isn't that basically what Hollow Knight did?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cactus posted:

Yes I suppose you could call a previous product that a company has made that was mostly universally praised as being a good product to be advertising, it would be the purest form of it there is. Using the pudding itself for proof.

But that wasn't the kind of advertising I was talking about.

No, I don't mean Hollow Knight as advertising for Silksong. I mean that I don't remember any real advertising push for HK when it came out. All of a sudden there was just a tremendous game available and everyone was talking about it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My guess is that they just didn't have the money for marketing on the original. I expect there will be a little more of a push for Silksong, although frankly it barely needs it since the entire world is salivating waiting for it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think I am willing to click through and watch multiple videos until you tell me what literally any of that means or who any of those people are and preferably what it has to do with Hollow Knight.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Allow me to explain in terms even you can understand:

Fireborn is the most popular hollow knight content creator on "youtube" (maybe you've heard of it?)

He posted an expose of Screenrant, which they have illegally copyright struck, putting his channel at risk of deletion.

In it, he revealed that Screenrant and associates use functional indentured servitude and wage slavery to steal work and money from their writers.

He also exposed that they directed neo-nazi and far-right hatred towards their writers as a way of creating "rage bait" engagement.

The relevance to the thread is this:

Hopefully this resolves your ignorance of the situation!

While I don't understand the hostility of this response, that seems bad

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No, it's an artist demaking hollow knight, it doesn't really exist

Given the "Calypso.ai" watermark, I think this was AI-generated?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Neat! Thanks, I stand corrected.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never liked classic Castlevania gameplay, even when Castlevania was new -- I am old -- because they are very hard (often in ways that feel unfair, like an enemy coming in off-screen while you're mid-jump to knock you into a pit for an instant death) and have no save progression. We have learned a lot of lessons since the NES era and I am not very interested in returning to that era of design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Infernax is SUPER good. I am not sure what to think of the developers, they are VERY keen to make sure you know that their game is EXTREME!, but the game is like a love letter to Simon's Quest, it's terrific.