Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The space combat really sucks. This cannot be overstated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've tried to do the ship to ship combat a couple of times, so far my experience has been a complete clusterfuck.

I'm hoping to work my way through all the Star Trek adventure games. I much prefer the simpler combat controls of the two TOS point and clicks.

I will try to attempt some unassisted combat at some point.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I look forward to seeing how crappy it is.

Also, that Ferengi fellow was horrifying in appearance.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Welcome to planet Frigis, it's full of interesting people!

Two more Captain's Logs have been added to the computer archives:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I appreciate the Lawgiver's dedication to making GBS threads on his terrible followers. Most of us wouldn't build an entire magical talking stone guardian just to tell the losers and their descendants how stupid and stubborn they are, but the OG LG was just that mad.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

ArchWizard posted:

I appreciate the Lawgiver's dedication to making GBS threads on his terrible followers. Most of us wouldn't build an entire magical talking stone guardian just to tell the losers and their descendants how stupid and stubborn they are, but the OG LG was just that mad.

It wouldn't be a proper 90s point and clicker without a weird puzzle dungeon with a talking demon statue asking riddles. Personally if I were designing this I'd have let the Enterprise crew hack it somehow; read the answers out of deep memory with a tricorder or somesuch. But you get multiple attempts and it's not too hard to quickly figure out the common thread between right answers, so I'll give this puzzle a pass.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

It wouldn't be a proper 90s point and clicker without a weird puzzle dungeon with a talking demon statue asking riddles. Personally if I were designing this I'd have let the Enterprise crew hack it somehow; read the answers out of deep memory with a tricorder or somesuch. But you get multiple attempts and it's not too hard to quickly figure out the common thread between right answers, so I'll give this puzzle a pass.

The interactions with the Guardian aren't so bad, I'll definitely show off some of the failure dialogue in the future. I already have another video lined up which showcases a situation where one wrong choice means that you're screwed out of the rest of the mission and possibly the rest of the games main plot.

Samovar posted:

Also, that Ferengi fellow was horrifying in appearance.

Three words: Deep Space Nine.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Did the Lawgiver have anything to say about the hats that people on Frigis wear?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

HiKaizer posted:

Did the Lawgiver have anything to say about the hats that people on Frigis wear?

16. For the Exiles did place strange and alien things upon their craniums, and gird their skulls all about with glowing eggs that are of the creme.

17 And the Lawgiver didst look upon the hats of his followers, and spake thusly:

18. "Oh for fukke's sake, I turn my backe for half a chroniton and you arseholes are putting stupid thinges on your heyddes again."

19. "Why do I loving bother, I just wanted a nice monastic community."

20. "Maybe some agriculture, some pretty alien ruins, no stupid loving caste nonsense that screwed things up back home."

21. "And you're wearing those things."

22. Thus did he take away the Fifth Scroll, and store it behind great buzzsaws and laser-tripwires, all at head height, saying unto his followers

23. "Right, you cuntwipes. You can have it back when one of you grows up."

24. And the Lawgiver was never seen again in the Lands of the Faithful.

- from The Teachings of the Lawgiver, Chapter XI, verses 16-24. Some translators prefer "eggs that are of chocolate and given unto the young for Easter" for the description of the hats in verse 16. A small holy war was fought over this in 1744 resulting in the destruction of three cities and the deaths of thousands of people.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Lawgiver chose to implement a caste system and waited until last to enumerate the rights of the lowest caste, presumably dooming the majority of a planetary population to a millennium of chattel slavery when the upper castes drove the Lawgiver out before they could finish giving the law. The Lawgiver then tried to form the government of their new secret colony around only 1/5th of their previous laws, seemingly unedited, and when the people of the new colony found that confusing the Lawgiver got annoyed and hosed off to get their brain eaten by one of the extremely lethal and dangerous electricity-draining lizard monsters they Noah's Arc'ed in presumably for that purpose.

Truly, the Lawgiver was a visionary.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 3, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm hoping to work my way through all the Star Trek adventure games. I much prefer the simpler combat controls of the two TOS point and clicks.

Does this mean you're gonna take a crack at Future's Past? Or Echoes of the Past as it was called on the Genesis

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

Does this mean you're gonna take a crack at Future's Past? Or Echoes of the Past as it was called on the Genesis

I never got past the mines on the Genesis one. Tried a lot of times though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Lawgiver chose to implement a caste system and waited until last to enumerate the rights of the lowest caste, presumably dooming the majority of a planetary population to a millennium of chattel slavery when the upper castes drove the Lawgiver out before they could finish giving the law. The Lawgiver then tried to form the government of their new secret colony around only 1/5th of their previous laws, seemingly unedited, and when the people of the new colony found that confusing the Lawgiver got annoyed and hosed off to get their brain eaten by one of the extremely lethal and dangerous electricity-draining lizard monsters they Noah's Arc'ed in presumably for that purpose.

Truly, the Lawgiver was a visionary.

Thus do historians say of The Lawgiver:

You're not that bright, are you.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

The interactions with the Guardian aren't so bad, I'll definitely show off some of the failure dialogue in the future. I already have another video lined up which showcases a situation where one wrong choice means that you're screwed out of the rest of the mission and possibly the rest of the games main plot.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can make an "exchange" if you make a wrong choice. You might have to leave and come back though.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can make an "exchange" if you make a wrong choice. You might have to leave and come back though.

You can. As I recall, there's lots of ways to make things more difficult for yourself, but never at any time can you screw yourself beyond recovery, at least so long as you keep a decently number of saves, and even then only in the final area.

Played this a long time ago, and I found it to be a pretty solid adventure game overall. And I don't recall any puzzle solutions being the nonsensical sort that you could only get by trying everything everywhere.

e: (although you may notice that one of Picard's eyes is vividly blue in his dialog portrait)

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 4, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You can really see the effect of giving the player the freedom to choose their away team. Got to make sure that the same basic information is conveyed no matter who happens to be present or who which crew members they choose to talk to.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Sometimes that information is incomplete, though. Like, back on the research station with the data cable. Everyone may suggest cutting the cable with a phaser, but not everyone will include that you'd better keep the power low to avoid hurting the woman. There's a couple different ways you can accidentally kill her, though I'm not sure what all effect that may have. The constable on Morassia will also be (even) less helpful if you bring a team of all men.

e: Which reminds me. There's no way Morassia is going to meet the cultural equality standards for joining the Federation. It's just too bad you never get to point that out.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 4, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

wedgekree posted:

I never got past the mines on the Genesis one. Tried a lot of times though.

I think I got past the mines once as a kid, and if you thought the mines loving sucked the game just seemed to pour on more misery from there. From there the Chodak show up and they are aggressive fuckers.

Still though, as far as 16-bit licensed Star Trek goes, I enjoyed that game

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

16. For the Exiles did place strange and alien things upon their craniums, and gird their skulls all about with glowing eggs that are of the creme.

17 And the Lawgiver didst look upon the hats of his followers, and spake thusly:

18. "Oh for fukke's sake, I turn my backe for half a chroniton and you arseholes are putting stupid thinges on your heyddes again."

19. "Why do I loving bother, I just wanted a nice monastic community."

20. "Maybe some agriculture, some pretty alien ruins, no stupid loving caste nonsense that screwed things up back home."

21. "And you're wearing those things."

22. Thus did he take away the Fifth Scroll, and store it behind great buzzsaws and laser-tripwires, all at head height, saying unto his followers

23. "Right, you cuntwipes. You can have it back when one of you grows up."

24. And the Lawgiver was never seen again in the Lands of the Faithful.

- from The Teachings of the Lawgiver, Chapter XI, verses 16-24. Some translators prefer "eggs that are of chocolate and given unto the young for Easter" for the description of the hats in verse 16. A small holy war was fought over this in 1744 resulting in the destruction of three cities and the deaths of thousands of people.

As far as I'm concerned, this is now canon to me. Excellent work!

Aces High posted:

I'll be sticking to the PC releases, unfortunately. On the cards for sure are: 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites and Harbinger. I might also add Star Trek: Borg and Star Trek: Klingon to the list too.

whitehelm posted:

Montegoraon posted:

You can. As I recall, there's lots of ways to make things more difficult for yourself, but never at any time can you screw yourself beyond recovery, at least so long as you keep a decently number of saves, and even then only in the final area.

Played this a long time ago, and I found it to be a pretty solid adventure game overall. And I don't recall any puzzle solutions being the nonsensical sort that you could only get by trying everything everywhere.

e: (although you may notice that one of Picard's eyes is vividly blue in his dialog portrait)

Thank you for clearing this up. When I record more "bonus footage" I'll definitely check this out.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
If there's any Star Trek game that deserves a full LP, it's Klingon Academy. It's a little overly convoluted, perhaps, but the story is a really good companion to The Undiscovered Country. It does a fantastic job of fleshing out the villain in that movie.

Also, in this game though it defaults to having you fly around at warp 5, you can access the helm and speed yourself up to maximum warp at any time.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
You shouldn't do that though because at this point they don't have the warp drives that don't cause space global warming, so faster than warp 5 is only for emergencies.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Will Troi save the Garidians? Will LaForge find love? Will Data get a new hat? Will Ryker? Yes, he's in this episode too! :downsrim:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The tricorder can tell you which orb thing to use, by the way. You don't have to guess.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Montegoraon posted:

If there's any Star Trek game that deserves a full LP, it's Klingon Academy. It's a little overly convoluted, perhaps, but the story is a really good companion to The Undiscovered Country. It does a fantastic job of fleshing out the villain in that movie.

Also, in this game though it defaults to having you fly around at warp 5, you can access the helm and speed yourself up to maximum warp at any time.

I haven't been able to get Klingon Academy to work since like Windows XP.

This still makes me sad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veloxyll posted:

I haven't been able to get Klingon Academy to work since like Windows XP.

This still makes me sad.

A cursory Google reveals a post on the GoG forums that points to someone who has apparently managed to get it working on modern systems at this page here - http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/. If you can't get the 1.02 official patch to run, you can just open it with WinRaR and dump the files into the game folder directly.

Qapla' :manning:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Can you use your phaser on those stupid balloon things those dorks have on their heads? How about glassing the planet from orbit with photon torpedoes? That society is seriously too dumb to exist, even for Star Trek.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to post the eighth update in a couple of days time, it'll give some extra time for any further inclusions for the bonus video that I'm going to include with the ninth update. I've spent the last couple of hours recording bonus footage and so far I have edited it into around twenty-one minutes of footage. Feel free to suggest anything that you would like to see included.

inscrutable horse posted:

Can you use your phaser on those stupid balloon things those dorks have on their heads? How about glassing the planet from orbit with photon torpedoes? That society is seriously too dumb to exist, even for Star Trek.

I did try but unfortunately, Starfleet regulations frown upon wanton death and destruction.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I've been wondering since the previous episode, why is Riker so surprised that the religion on Frigis had changed so much since they fled Garis? Has he not studied Earth history and religions at all??? 1000 years is not an insignificant amount of time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HiKaizer posted:

I've been wondering since the previous episode, why is Riker so surprised that the religion on Frigis had changed so much since they fled Garis? Has he not studied Earth history and religions at all??? 1000 years is not an insignificant amount of time.

This is the same show that called 19th Century American frontier era the "Ancient West". Trek does not understand time very well.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

I did try but unfortunately, Starfleet regulations frown upon wanton death and destruction.

Captains Log: I've decided this whole venture is stupid and dropped a Genesis Device style bomb onto the planet. When our "guests" protested, I told them it was either that or wearing a loving glow globe on their head for the rest of their lives because the Lawgiver's people did, so problem solved.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm now convinced the 5th Scroll is just some creepy, Sonic-original-character-do-not-steal fanfic, and that the Lawgiver and his followers weren't so much exiled, as they were just served with a restraining order.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The fifth scroll is now in our possession so everything should be wrapped up nicely. Well, I might have pulled that off more convincingly if I had named the episode differently.

We also have a new Captain's log:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next couple of updates are going to be relatively short as I spent far too much time loving around getting to grips with the Astronavigation and the Tactical screens.

This is amazing! How did I miss this?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The reason the battles play out like that is as follows:

1. Whenever the Enterprise is given the command to shoot, either by yourself or by the tactical AI, Picard says "fire". There's a delay on this, which can be long enough for the "on target ship death" cutscene to trigger.

2. I don't know if Rocket Baby Dolls intends to show off manual control of tactical, but it works in a way similar to how combat was depicted on the show - you pick from a list of pre-plotted manouvers with stirring-sounding names. You can also set things like subsystem targeting and torpedo spread. This is relevant because...

3. ...the tactical AI defaults to a narrow spread of anywhere up to 10 photon torpedoes in the first shot.

So the reason the battles play out like that is because the moment the battle simulation loads, the enemy warbird spawns directly in front of the Enterprise and Mr Worf open-palm-slams the ALL THE TORPEDOES button. The Enterprise duly launches a spray of tight-angle murderballs dead ahead, totally overwhelms the warbird's front shields, and kills it in a single salvo. This triggers the cutscene with the Romulan commander giving OMINOUS WARNINGS and the warbird explodes...and then the simulation catches up, remembers to play the "Fire!" sound-effect, and also actually fires the ship's phasers.

If RBD checks his photon torpedo stocks after a few battles (and ammo tracking is a thing in this game), he may find them depleting rapidly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

The reason the battles play out like that is as follows:

1. Whenever the Enterprise is given the command to shoot, either by yourself or by the tactical AI, Picard says "fire". There's a delay on this, which can be long enough for the "on target ship death" cutscene to trigger.

2. I don't know if Rocket Baby Dolls intends to show off manual control of tactical, but it works in a way similar to how combat was depicted on the show - you pick from a list of pre-plotted manouvers with stirring-sounding names. You can also set things like subsystem targeting and torpedo spread. This is relevant because...

3. ...the tactical AI defaults to a narrow spread of anywhere up to 10 photon torpedoes in the first shot.

So the reason the battles play out like that is because the moment the battle simulation loads, the enemy warbird spawns directly in front of the Enterprise and Mr Worf open-palm-slams the ALL THE TORPEDOES button. The Enterprise duly launches a spray of tight-angle murderballs dead ahead, totally overwhelms the warbird's front shields, and kills it in a single salvo. This triggers the cutscene with the Romulan commander giving OMINOUS WARNINGS and the warbird explodes...and then the simulation catches up, remembers to play the "Fire!" sound-effect, and also actually fires the ship's phasers.

If RBD checks his photon torpedo stocks after a few battles (and ammo tracking is a thing in this game), he may find them depleting rapidly.

Thank you for the advice and for explaining Worf's itchy trigger palm. I did wonder why there was a big ball of death followed by mass confusion of hailing and explosions. I do intend to show off a manually controlled battle during the next recording session. I did take control of a battle in my last recording session, but there was a specific reason why I did. I had to repeat a tactical situation several times as I was searching for a specific manoeuvre... I don't want to elaborate as it's spoiler territory.

I also resolved the problem of depleting photon torpedoes and some other growing issues too. The Astronavigation screen is not fun to navigate unless you've been somewhere before. Thankfully the game saves a log of the places that you've already visited and you can head back there with just a click of the button. One thing that I learnt is that if you go to a section containing coordinates in the computer archives and then click on the Astronavigation tab, the coordinates are automatically inputted for you. If you haven't been somewhere before then you need to know the specific coordinates.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is amazing! How did I miss this?

Because it didn't happen. :ssh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Loxbourne posted:

Mr Worf open-palm-slams the ALL THE TORPEDOES button

I copy and pasted excerpts of your explanation to a coworker this morning after they wondered what I was laughing at. He's an old Star Trek nerd and, without any context other than knowing it was about a video game, he was able to identify A Final Unity by name.

I just wanted to thank you for that hilarious and accurate description.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We're still looking for answers and trying to tie up some loose ends. Also, there's that whole invasion thing that's happening. There is some talk about the easiness of the tactical battles in the video, this recording session happened before the talk over the weekend. There will be another, slightly shorter, video from this session that I will upload within the next few days. I may attempt a short recording session for a third video over the weekend as my next recording window will most likely be Sunday.

Bonus video: Part 2 - Alternate Scenes (Timestamps are in the video description) (Communication with Chancellor Daenub, Communication with Starfleet Command, Data talks to Chancellor Laraq, Troi talks to Nachyl, Data and the Gatekeeper, Troi and the Gatekeeper, Aelont and the vault, Troi talks to Madia, LaForge scanning the puzzle, LaForge makes a mistake, Failing the away mission, Expressing doubts with Commander Chan, A supply request with Commander Chan, Intercepting the Romulans (Early Tyralak encounter,) Evading the Romulans, More Tyralak dialogue, More Ky'Dra dialogue, Worf and Laraq.)

New computer updates (Thumbnailed as not to spoil outright):

Updated Captain's Logs

Analysis of new inventory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

By the way, RBD, if you're looking for a similar adventure game to LP in the future, can I recommend Legend's Mission Critical? I've yet to see an even half-way passable (English) LP of it, and I think it would fit your particular style quite well. Plus, it's got Michael Dorn in full FMV glory, as well as tactical space battles!