Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

inscrutable horse posted:

By the way, RBD, if you're looking for a similar adventure game to LP in the future, can I recommend Legend's Mission Critical? I've yet to see an even half-way passable (English) LP of it, and I think it would fit your particular style quite well. Plus, it's got Michael Dorn in full FMV glory, as well as tactical space battles!

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll add it to the list of potential future LP's. I've found it and added it to my wishlist on GOG.com.

Edit: I'm always happy for any suggestions as I usually keep an eye out for any potential future projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
"We believe that the group which settled here and built these structures were not from the mainstream of Chodak society."

"Why do you say that?"

"The repeated circle-A symbols found spraypainted onto their ancient relics, and the message carved deep within the planet's crust which approximately translates as gently caress THA POLICE."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
"In the name of science, please do not investigate this well-hidden site. You can find this site by going to these coordinates and then finding a platform jutting out from a deep shaft in the ground..."

If you use the tricorder on the rubble, does it do anything useful like tell you the setting needed for your phaser to clear it?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The switching between crude pixel-art and actual pictures of people is REALLY jarring.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

"In the name of science, please do not investigate this well-hidden site. You can find this site by going to these coordinates and then finding a platform jutting out from a deep shaft in the ground..."

If you use the tricorder on the rubble, does it do anything useful like tell you the setting needed for your phaser to clear it?

You seem to get varying degrees of usefulness:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

"Hi guys, there's Romulans in the system looking for Chodak artifacts, so we're getting the gently caress out of dodge. Incidentally, for anyone listening to this message who is NOT a Romulan, there's some REALLY COOL Chodak poo poo at this one particular site at THESE coordinates that we ask you nicely not to pillage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:ohdear: Please be very careful and don't disturb anything!
:geno: Set phasers to maximum power.

Surely the Chodak artifacts that the scientists discovered couldn't be behind a pile of rocks that's been undisturbed for thousands of years?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I love that the Romulans explicitly gutted a bunch of their best ships and sent them on a suicide mission in the hopes that they would get the Unity Device before the Federation, apparently unconcerned with the idea that the Federation might grab it before they can figure out how it works, leaving the Romulan Empire with a gutted navy and a pissed off neighbor.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Holy poo poo Picard's shirt tug on the transporter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It is the most Romulan of plans.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is shorter than usual but it's still packed full of chunky alien meat. I did consider padding it out but that seemed unnecessary. Most of what I cut was navigating screens and replaying scenarios because I was taking too long doing so. I did find some time to record a follow-up episode to this, I'll upload it in two or three days.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, that early CGI reminds me of the X-wing strategy guide.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'm not sure I ever got past Allanor as a kid so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed. Thanks for all the nostalgia so far!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
You didn't need to "refuel" on dilithium when your max warp was 3.3, your warp core was damaged. You could have fixed the warp core with the Engineering panel behind Worf.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

You didn't need to "refuel" on dilithium when your max warp was 3.3, your warp core was damaged. You could have fixed the warp core with the Engineering panel behind Worf.

Refuel was a bad word and I realised that immediately after I had said it. Thank you for highlighting the warp core damage. I discovered that may have been the case afterwards, when I was recording the second batch of bonus footage and couldn't warp anywhere until the core was repaired.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Defeating the Chodak ship is possible, but very difficult.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Defeating the Chodak ship is possible, but very difficult.

I thought that this was the case, the guides that I'm using just told me to get out as soon as possible. While I was searching for the warp button during this session the AI was able to take down one ship before being spanked.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Refuel was a bad word and I realised that immediately after I had said it. Thank you for highlighting the warp core damage. I discovered that may have been the case afterwards, when I was recording the second batch of bonus footage and couldn't warp anywhere until the core was repaired.

You Typically become very familiar with the Engineering panel once the Romulans star invading. Especially if the AI is bad about actually warping you out of a battle.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Sometimes you get lucky and the game glitches out a bit and thinks the big ship is cloaked because of its chameleon field, which means its shields go down. If it happens at the right moment, you can blow them away. At least, that's what I've heard. I don't know how, but I always managed to beat it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I found the trick was to emulate Our Glorious Tactical Paragon and spam torpedoes everywhere. Wide spread to cause some damage at range, 10-shot burst if you get lined up, and stay OUT of the forward firing arc where the Chodak ship keeps its huge gun. Phasers can do chip damage or keep shields depleted but the Enterprise has a full spread of phaser emitters so there's usually one or two in arc wherever you are in relation to the target.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Making use of maneuvers is useful too. All of your weapons recharge and reload separately. It really helps your damage output to attack with both forward and aft torpedoes. Of course, that also helps spread damage across your shields.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is this game available anywhere anymore? I remember liking it when I had it, but obviously I no longer have the CD. Is it on GoG or any other online store?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Epicurius posted:

Is this game available anywhere anymore? I remember liking it when I had it, but obviously I no longer have the CD. Is it on GoG or any other online store?

Nope. ether :filez: or ebay

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Epicurius posted:

mateo360 posted:

Nope. ether :filez: or ebay

Pretty much this.

Thankfully my parents still had all of my old CD-Roms in their attic (or loft or whatever you call it where you live.) Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites are the only (Edit - Star Trek:) adventure games that are available to buy digitally at the moment. I'll be going through more of my CD-Rom collection in future LP's if I can get them to work. I'm sure that everyone is dying for an LP of "William Shatner's TekWar."

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 17, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the first part of the away mission to Allanor. I have a feeling that we will be here for a while.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
AaAaAAAAAA! I can't believe you just went right past that drone in the arrivals area and didn't talk to it! That drone has one of my favourite and most poignant dialogue trees in the entire game!

You can stop it killing you by shoving the logic inhibitor back in at any time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

AaAaAAAAAA! I can't believe you just went right past that drone in the arrivals area and didn't talk to it! That drone has one of my favourite and most poignant dialogue trees in the entire game!

You can stop it killing you by shoving the logic inhibitor back in at any time.

I didn't even know that I could. I'll add it to the list for the next bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we finally meet the Chodak and get to know more about them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I remember playing A Final Unity as a kid but never recalled how far I actually got.

Yet I somehow remember that cutscene of the Chodak ship flying past with one of them standing in the viewport :psyduck:.

Goddamn, I got a lot further than I thought.

Also I can't believe we're being menaced by a species of evil molluscs.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It is possible to get the starchart here. But this route is probably more interesting. Also, doing this lets you skip the transporter, at least in one direction, and it's really obnoxious.

e: And the way you find the Device without the chart is honestly pretty great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm beginning to understand why the scientists sent the device through time, now.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

In the series a weapon was sent backwards through time (Captain's Holiday?), but forwards does the job as well I guess? Well maybe not if the Chodak are still kicking around!

The shirt tug Picard does after the transport is perfection.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final part of the away mission to Allanor and the start of the search for the Unity Device. I'll upload the final part of this recording session in two or three days, in the meantime I will be recording more bonus footage.

New entries to the computer archives:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A Final Unity, why do you have the DS9 door sound effect for the Holodeck? Shame on you game, Shame! :colbert:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Sounds like the TNG holodeck doors to me.

It is possible to use the security panel to turn off the weapon in that room. You don't need the programmer- that was only meant to be used with the green rod since it was designed as a hacking device for the rebels. But you need to get the rod out and insert it again in order to activate the panel. For that, you need a paperclip, which can be picked up earlier in the level at the same time as a metal plate lying on the floor. I wonder if you can use one of the bits off the destroyed Chodak shell to do the same thing. You can pick them up, but they have no use as far as I know.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Montegoraon posted:

Sounds like the TNG holodeck doors to me.

It is possible to use the security panel to turn off the weapon in that room. You don't need the programmer- that was only meant to be used with the green rod since it was designed as a hacking device for the rebels. But you need to get the rod out and insert it again in order to activate the panel. For that, you need a paperclip, which can be picked up earlier in the level at the same time as a metal plate lying on the floor. I wonder if you can use one of the bits off the destroyed Chodak shell to do the same thing. You can pick them up, but they have no use as far as I know.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be including this method with the bonus recording. Right now I'm trying to work out if there is a way to get through the security room without those specific items. I think that the developers made a mistake by placing a potentially vital object in a place that is unreachable after a certain point.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 23, 2019

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Hmm. I wonder. You can always get through the room so long as you have your phasers. You can't advance without using your phaser to open the grate at the beginning, and you also need it to destroy the capacitor right before meeting the Chodak. But you miiiiight be able to go backwards after destroying the capacitor and surrender your phasers to the drone then. Then you could go forward with the Chodak to the computer, and if you also didn't pick up the paperclip you would then be stuck, unable to get through the security room without getting shot to death.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Montegoraon posted:

Hmm. I wonder. You can always get through the room so long as you have your phasers. You can't advance without using your phaser to open the grate at the beginning, and you also need it to destroy the capacitor right before meeting the Chodak. But you miiiiight be able to go backwards after destroying the capacitor and surrender your phasers to the drone then. Then you could go forward with the Chodak to the computer, and if you also didn't pick up the paperclip you would then be stuck, unable to get through the security room without getting shot to death.

You can definitely pick up a chunk of the Chodak shell (the piece on the lower right with the red bit sticking out) to do the same thing as the paperclip without getting shot. I did that the first time I played the game.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 24, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

whitehelm posted:

You can definitely pick up a chunk of the Chodak shell (the piece on the lower right with the red bit sticking out) to do the same thing as the paperclip without getting shot. I did that the first time I played the game.

I didn't even try to pick up a piece of the Chidak shell. When I moved a character out from the doorway they were killed after taking a single step. I made a wrong assumption because of that.

Thank you for confirming that this is possible, I'll make sure to capture it before I post the next update. I'm glad that this game continues to provide multiple solutions for a variety of different scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
That transporter is the worst, though. There is absolutely nothing that tells you what the right coordinates are. Some of the 9 possible options transport your team away, but the other side is broken. You have a limited amount of time to randomly guess your current location before they all die in there. Best option: just save scum it.

On the other hand, observing the pulsar by flying 30 lightyears away to catch the light from before its collapse is brilliant in its simplicity and realism (FTL travel aside). :golfclap: Even better is that it's the terribly underused Troi who comes up with it.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 25, 2019