Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So, my much younger cousin was reading a book about old Hollywood or something and came across the phrase "the 'it' girl" and asked what it meant. I tried explaining using an analogy to music, how one band can seem to have all the buzz and an aura around them. He got really interested in this -- he gets really zoned in on specific topics at times -- and asked for examples. I gave him some but I know it would really make his day if I could give him a timeline of the "it" bands. But I could use your help to refine or fill out my timeline. Sorry for such an odd request but he's a unique kid who is mildly on the spectrum and this is the kind of thing that will make him very happy.

So what I'm looking for is not the most popular band at a given time, or the best selling band, but the one who seemed to be on everyone's lips, who had all the buzz, who basically seemed like the coolest band in the world at the time. And probably over a rolling 6 month average. Sure there was a couple weeks in 1993 where 4 Non Blondes ruled the world but that kind of one hit wonder buzz isn't what I'm talking about either.

So as some examples,
1964-65 - The Beatles
1966 - The Rolling Stones (?)
1967 - The Doors
1968 - Led Zeppelin (?)
1973 - Pink Floyd
1977 - Fleetwood Mac (?)
1979 - Devo (?)
1983 - U2
1985 - Duran Duran (?)
1987 - Guns n Roses
1989 - The Cure (?)
1991-92 - Nirvana
1993 - Beck
1994 - Nine Inch Nails
2002ish - The Killers
2003ish -- White Stripes

I'm sure these choices can be refined down and are debatable. Anyway, any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A human heart posted:

the coolest band for which group of people? like i don't think that black americans, for instance, were particularly excited about nine inch nails in 1994

White middle America edgy / hipster / underground scene kids. Write what you know, they say, and that's what I know.