Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Can't give much input prior to 2003 other than Garth Brooks or George Straight should probably be there during the 90s when Wal-Mart Supercenters were first being built and country music made incredible amount of money. Late 90s would have to be either Backstreet Boys or Brittany Spears. Radiohead is absolutely in there given we've had nearly 20 years of jokes about them archived on the internet.

Were the Killers popular before Hot Fuss was released in 2004? I hadn't heard of them until Somebody Told Me was played twice every hour for months there at the end of 2003. The White Stripes were definitely the "it" band when Elephant dropped. I think Outkast had a 1-2 combo with Hey Ya and The Way You Move as singles and it spawned an influx of dopey white kids doing acoustic guitar hip hop covers, a trend that exists to this day. Kanye released The College Dropout around that time, too, and he was "it" until he got that Stronger money and went off on the deep end. Remember there always being news about Usher or Justin Timberlake in the mid 2000s as well. St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley was something that I'd learned about here on SA shortly before its release. I listened to it non-stop for a solid two or three weeks and then Crazy was a single and I struggle to find a single song I've heard more times than that on radio stations--maybe Kids by MGMT.

Taylor Swift and Beyonce were both it. The Black Keys became "it" in 2010 and it was a very funny time socially because everyone I knew who was into them became ultra hipster about it with such gusto and salt that I'm still on blood pressure meds.

It's a lot harder to distinguish "it" bands after that because marketing went haywire once YouTube blew up. Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and other young acts had social media companies working overtime to pump that poo poo out and I just couldn't keep up with top 40 anymore. Every day I check out the trending page on YouTube and the top three videos are always some new pop release with >5M views in <24 hours, a video of a white dude with a surprised look on his face pointing at something, and a video about makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU