Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I started getting Nintendo Powers about issue 22 or so, so I've never seen these -really- early ones before. I love the old style though, where the magazine manages to basically feel like a 1990s website.

And the art for that Mega Man 3 section, wow. :v:

Edit: I don't know what it is, but seeing the nintendo power level maps always makes the games seem more amazing to me. Like I've never enjoyed the mega man series, but the maps are like "whoa, look at all these cool things in this level!!" in my brain. It's weird.

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Having maps like that really make the games seem far larger than they actually are, which adds to that sense of adventure. Otherwise, you just tend to view them as screen by screen rather than the sprawling maze they can often end up being.

Also, the art in this issue was A+.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You may have thought I forgot about the weekly reminder post, but I haven't! Just decided to put it off until the day of the stream, for whatever reason. Seems to make more sense in my brain?

Mortal Kombat 11 came out a few days, so let's take a look at the issue that covers Mortal Kombat II which is definitely the same game! In one hour we'll be reading Volume 64, featuring Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Secret of Mana, and more!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Seems like I randomly stumbled on a good magazine! There was a bunch of cool games and oddities in this one, in my opinion. Also some exceptionally good art.

Episode #8: Vol 64

Points of discussion:
- does Mortal Kombat II still hold up
- Sabrewulf mirrors all night long
- Bomber Bob backs us up in Pocky & Rocky 2
- Blizzard's secret best video game
- the Super FX chip lives on in Vortex
- how did they make Donkey Kong Country look so dang good
- getting hopelessly lost in Secret of Mana
- Ninja Gaiden Shadow's super cool equalizer
- the awful chiptune Power Rangers theme
- CHRIS BERMAN CHRIS BERMAN CHRIS BERMAN

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wandering through issues trying to find janky art I found the following:

Much like a cat the queen black lady thing from Battletoads does not have a collarbone but a cartilage neck/shoudler structure:

She also has wrists on ball joints:

Okay, same image as before but they used it twice too:

I doubt that THIS is the one that did it, but at some point a thousand horrible ships got launched that no one ever wanted to see arrive at any port ever.

Much like Tetris 2 this is, uh, art:

True Tetris masters have arms that do not bide by plebeian euclidean geometry.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i refuse to practice the basic strategies of tetris 2

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You want the long pieces

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey folks! It's Saturday! But sadly there will be no Nintendo Power stream this afternoon. Just... no real energy on this hot, hot day, unfortunately. Pushing it back a week instead -- see you on the 18th!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i will rewatch the Dash rendar episode to tide myself over

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Battletoads Double Dragon rule but the art for the Dark Queen has always sucked.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dash Rendar posted:

i will rewatch the Dash rendar episode to tide myself over

quote="Dash Rendar"

:abrathink:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh hell yeah, it's Saturday! Let's do this!

In one hour I'll be taking a look at an issue i picked entirely randomly volume 108, covering Banjo Kazooie, Harvest Moon, Pokemon, and the one sports game I weirdly care about!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 19, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

New episode is up! Finally we get to take a look at Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr, the game I've been vaguely hinting about whenever sports games come up. Also some other games? But who CARES it's KEN GRIFFEY JR!!

Episode #9: Vol 108

Points of discussion:
- why don't all video games have blood and gore??
- the one sports game I weirdly care about
- Banjo and/or Kazooie's unskippable cutscenes
- total opinion whiplash on Forsaken 64
- Final Fantasy Adventure II's aggressive sound test
- the Pokemon craze is here!!
- Goldeneye 007 sweeps the awards season
- a bunch of Game Boy games that should catch my attention but don't
- Nintendo HUD quiz
- we unfortunately play Iggy's Reckin' Balls
- a Gex omen
- F R E A K B O Y

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Turns out I'm a big smart guy who forgot to ever update the OP of the thread. Well, for the sake of getting out the word as soon as I can, the biweekly stream is still on for tomorrow, June 1st at 12:00 PM. The issue in question will be volume 23, because I opened it randomly and get a load of this cover art:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Excited about S.C.A.T.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey I'm a big smart guy who published the latest video yesterday and posted it on Twitter but forgot to update my thread. Oops! Here it is!

Episode #10: Vol 23

Points of discussion:
- Game Boys on the battlefield
- Power Blade answers the age-old question "What if Mega Man had a boomerang?"
- wishing Totally Rad didn't make us look at Zebediah Pong
- jumping through random levels in TMNT II: The Arcade Game
- YO SWORD MASTER IS THE GREATEST NES GAME EVER MADE
- a quick read about English game developers
- make sure you bring your bionic buddy when playing with S.C.A.T.
- gotta show off that Game Boy R-Type
- why did Game Boy Bubble Bobble rate so low?
- Jeremy Miller's celebrity profile
- very important reasons why you should not import a Super Famicom

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Today at noon PDT we'll be looking at another issue of Nintendo Power! This time we'll be delving into volume 41, covering Super Mario Kart, Out of This World, Bionic Commando, and more!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 19, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I never posted the video! Oops. Much like this episode, I am a total disaster.

Episode #11: Vol 41

Points of discussion:
- how to make money to buy a SNES
- Adventure Island is Fine™
- Power Blade is BACK and BETTER THAN EVER
- Kaubocks vs the American Gladiators
- I apparently don't know anything about Link to the Past
- Bionic Commando: just as good on the Game Boy!
- Bart's Nightmare is an actual nightmare
- WE'RE GONNA PLAY SUPER MARIO KART DAMMIT
- what games does Ken Griffey Jr. like?
- if Super Shadow of the Beast existed, it would not have been what I was imagining

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Finally got around to watching this. Bart's Nightmare you basically go around on the street until it randomly conjures up a piece of a paper that you need to touch. This is totally random, you can just go a while without seeing one. Upon doing that, it gives you two random minigames to pick from, represented by two colored doors. All of these minigames are half baked and play just as poorly or worse than the street segment.

If you complete one, your grade raises up a letter or so and that minigame is removed from rotation. And you just got to do all of them and their goals aren't always clear and the controls even worse. I found this all out the one time my brother and I made the mistake of renting this game and when your mother allows one rental per week, you stretch that poo poo out. It was a massive mistake.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
To be fair to Bart's Nightmare, the manual had a pretty thorough explanation of most parts of the game. There are only a couple of details I don't remember seeing in it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That would explain a lot, the rental didn't have the manual so it was all blind experimentation for us.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I'm still hung up on that Mega Man 3 art. I keep associating it with Cold War propaganda posters, but I wasn't an art major. I just know that I love it.

Thanks for doing this, by the way. When I was young I didn't want to be associated with anything game-related because I knew my parents didn't approve, so I only had one issue and hid it in the woods like I knew other kids did. All I remember is there being a comic about Star Fox for the SNES in which we learn that Fox's dad apparently wound up in that weird space whale and just kinda hangs out there making GBS threads out upgrades occasionally.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I never had subscriptions to Nintendo Power as a kid, but one day one of my dad's friends who was really big into video games just up and gave him like 100 or more issues (seriously, there were a lot) and being the oldest child and also into video games, I got them. Many were lost in various moves, but some of them, including a couple of the strategy guides, survived until a recent bed-bug incident where we threw away most of our books.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pushing this weekend's stream/episode back due to FFXIV and SGDQ. See you next week!

Grammarchist posted:

I'm still hung up on that Mega Man 3 art. I keep associating it with Cold War propaganda posters, but I wasn't an art major. I just know that I love it.

Thanks for doing this, by the way. When I was young I didn't want to be associated with anything game-related because I knew my parents didn't approve, so I only had one issue and hid it in the woods like I knew other kids did. All I remember is there being a comic about Star Fox for the SNES in which we learn that Fox's dad apparently wound up in that weird space whale and just kinda hangs out there making GBS threads out upgrades occasionally.

If you can figure out which issue this was, by the way, let me know! I can check it out next. :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I haven't forgotten that I pushed last week's Nintendo Power stream to today! In 2 hours (noon PDT) we'll be taking a look at Vol 77, covering Yoshi's Island, Mega Man 7, Super Mario RPG, and more! As usual; the VOD will be going up the next day.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 8, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm gonna be honest, was going to post the episode yesterday but I was so absorbed by Shadowbringers all weekend it completely slipped my mind.

Episode #12: Vol 77

Points of discussion:
- the most nonsensical fanmail yet
- Yoshi's Island is a perfect platformer
- Super Mario RPG is breaking technological ground
- the incredible controls of Batman Forever
- have I ever played Primal Rage??
- a stare-down with Freeze Man in Mega Man 7
- hot RPGs on the SNES
- Wario Blast might be why I loved Bomberman
- Foreman............................... For Real!
- Mechwarrior 3050 catches my eye

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

If you can figure out which issue this was, by the way, let me know! I can check it out next. :)

After some very unfortunate dead-ends regarding fan art, I finally found the part of the comic I remember. Apparently the whole thing is in April Vol. 47 with Fox on the cover. I don't remember the whole comic being in one issue, but I could be mistaken. Frankly, I'm just glad I didn't dream it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cart's haunted.

*loads pistol*

Cart's haunted

e: I would look forward to a stream dedicated to Mega Man.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 8, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Grammarchist posted:

Apparently the whole thing is in April Vol. 47 with Fox on the cover.

consider it done! next stream i do will be vol 69 (nice) because i'm locked in at this point, but we'll take a swing at 47 next

FeyerbrandX posted:

e: I would look forward to a stream dedicated to Mega Man.

:hmmyes:

maybe someday when i'm not so................ obsessed........ with ffxiv...........

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ah poo poo i forgot to mention there'd be no Nintendo Power stream today because i picked up an overtime shift

see you next week, folks!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Don't think I've forgotten about today's Nintendo Power stream! (I did forget, my wife had to remind me)

In two hours we're finally breaking the glass and looking at Volume 69 (nice); covering Mega Man X2, Kirby's Dream Course, Donkey Kong Land, and more!

As usual, (provided I remember), the episode will be uploaded to YouTube tomorrow.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 28, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

An upload on time? What?! I wouldn't settle for anything less on this, the most blessed of episodes, volume 69 (nice)! It ended up being a really fun stream all around. Glad to have covered it!

Episode #13: Vol 69

Points of discussion:
- a piece of the Game Boy bread puzzle
- Mega Man X2 is the greatest Mega Man game ever made
- I am WAY WORSE at Kirby's Dream Course than I remember
- I'm exactly as bad as Kirby's Avalanche as I thought, though
- the allure of crappy 3D draws me to Dirt Trax FX
- we make Shaq bleed in Shaq Fu
- C2: Judgment Clay is an even worse fighting game than Shaq Fu
- the incredible visuals of Donkey Kong Land
- Fireteam Rogue fulfills my obligation to notice every canceled game
- what's it take to localize a game like Earthbound?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of funny how Nintendo was so scared about what the PSX launch 3D modeled games would be that they didn't release StarFox 2 because of it.

Time makes fools of us all... but at least they were able to polish StarFox 64 to perfection with the extra time and assets.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, I loved everything about the Fireteam Rogue bit of the stream. It's always super interesting dissecting media that never made it to the market and that game looked especially ambitious.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey pals; I haven’t forgotten about today being a stream day but I’m feeling decidedly low energy as I spend all my weekend effort trying to clean the apartment. Pushing the next episode back to next week where hopefully a tidy place instills me with more of that good stream energy! ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:hai:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
**tiddy place

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Today we're going to find the final piece of the GameBoy bread saga by diving into Vol 73 -- covering Weaponlord, Eartbound, Killer Instinct, and more! I also hear we're going to learn more about the upcoming Ultra 64 and Virtual Boy consoles? Sounds exciting!

Stream starts in about an hour, episode goes up on YouTube tomorrow!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 19, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

At face value there's not a lot going on in this issue, but I think we found a lot of fun stuff to talk about regardless!

Episode #14: Vol 73

Points of discussion:
- the end of the Game Boy bread saga
- Earthbound WILL infect you
- who is the Weaponlord?
- here's all the JRPGs I like but never finished
- Killer Instinct finally lets me get a win on stream in a fighting game
- is Super Turrican 2 better than Super Turrican 1? (no)
- it's fun to say Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City
- why does nobody talk about Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings?
- computer, tell me more about the LifeFitness Exertainment System
- YO LET'S PLAY SOME MARIO'S PICROSS
- the first unveiling of Nintendo Ultra 64
- Phantom 2040 is a cinematic masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, EarthBound's advertising was really weird, even for the '90s.

It's interesting that Nintendo Power mentions Dragon Quest in that article about Chrono Trigger, because at that time the series was known as Dragon Warrior due to a copyright conflict with a pen-and-paper RPG at the time. After they crashed and burned and the copyright expired, the series took on its original name, but that wasn't until DQ8 in 2005, which was also coincidentally the first European DQ release.