Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's be nice if they gave more options and control over level aesthetics this time as well, being able to mix and match different backgrounds and theme would be great (and free the athletics themes you goddamn monsters!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Here's my SMM bookmark page if y'all are thinking of dusting off those WiiUs. A lot of my levels ended up being "expert" but I think it's because most SMM players are trash.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/MattCruea?type=posted

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was one of those super mario maker players who tried to make "real" mario levels, not the super hard kaizo stuff or auto levels or any of that. I just want to make and play traditional style Mario levels.

Here are the levels I made in 1 if anyone wants to play. I should hook my wii u back up and try it out again.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Overbite?type=posted

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The average MM player probably couldn’t finish the first New Super Mario Bros game. I think anything in the back half of any official Mario game would end up with expert classification. That was usually the difficulty I was shooting for in my stages and they mostly ended up falling in that category. I made one level where I deliberately tried to get in the easy classification while still having some semblance of level design and even that could only manage a 49% clear rate.

Did anyone ever figure out what the secret formula was for determining where a level goes? I’ve got normal stages with lower clear rates than other stages that were marked expert despite similar play counts.

Here’s my profile page for anyone interested.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope for more Boss enemies maybe the Koopalings.

Well, we're getting Boom Boom but he's a bit dull. I'm really hoping to see the ability to attach keys or other items to boss kills this time.

Anyway, here's my profile
Here's the old threads level spreadsheet
And here's Coldpie's level website

Our first week's contest was to build a level with objects from only the first two unlock sets. The winner was:
Shell Jump Caverns
By Cheesegod
CB63-0000-001C-0355

And I would be remiss if I didn't also lead with the most popular goon level of all time,
Help Bowser Escape!
By Help Im Alive
EFC3-0000-0028-BC37

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

J-Spot posted:

The average MM player probably couldn’t finish the first New Super Mario Bros game. I think anything in the back half of any official Mario game would end up with expert classification. That was usually the difficulty I was shooting for in my stages and they mostly ended up falling in that category. I made one level where I deliberately tried to get in the easy classification while still having some semblance of level design and even that could only manage a 49% clear rate.

Did anyone ever figure out what the secret formula was for determining where a level goes? I’ve got normal stages with lower clear rates than other stages that were marked expert despite similar play counts.

Here’s my profile page for anyone interested.

In some of my levels there's an enemy at the start that if you do not move for like 10 seconds it will walk over and kill you and people still die to it. There's always death markers on the spot mario starts in. I don't even think people try to play the levels.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's the link to my old levels.

I also would like to highlight the levels I think are my best if anyone wants to try a few.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7CAB-0000-02D3-E3B1
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/354C-0000-02D6-CE41
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7695-0000-02B7-1FBE
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/27F1-0000-027D-A9A9
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BC0F-0000-0241-7470
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FBD8-0000-0209-97C2
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7703-0000-0188-AA9C

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I'm really hoping to see the ability to attach keys or other items to boss kills this time.

I'm pretty sure you can already attach keys to enemies.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also should mention if you're wanting to hunt through the old levels people are posting, the Super Mario Maker Firefox Add-On/Chrome Extension still exists and works and will link Mario Maker level codes to their appropriate Mario Maker Bookmark page and also add a +/- symbol that will add/remove the level to your bookmarks when you click it as long as you're logged into the site.

Makes going through long lists of levels much more tolerable to keep track of, especially if you're, say, going through a massive list of them through a spreadsheet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope they implement posts again somehow. Mario Maker 1 feels so lonely ever since Miiverse died. I’m sure they will since they did for Splatoon 2.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I'm pretty sure you can already attach keys to enemies.

You're right. Keys didn't exist at all when I made my boss level.

In fact a lot of my old levels would have benefited from checkpoints too. I'm grateful will start out with these things in SMM2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope they implement posts again somehow. Mario Maker 1 feels so lonely ever since Miiverse died. I’m sure they will since they did for Splatoon 2.

I still can't believe Nintendo got the Miiverse so right and promptly abandoned it. Miiverse was the best social network.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought a WiiU for MARIO Maker so I am very hype for this. I really enjoyed the creativity on display and some of the posters in this thread made really good levels. The random levels seemed to end up with a bunch of strobe effect music bells and whistles so hopefully there will be a level share here agin.

My biggest disappointment is that they aren’t doing another 9/11 release for this game’s sequel.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hed posted:

I bought a WiiU for MARIO Maker so I am very hype for this. I really enjoyed the creativity on display and some of the posters in this thread made really good levels. The random levels seemed to end up with a bunch of strobe effect music bells and whistles so hopefully there will be a level share here agin.

My biggest disappointment is that they aren’t doing another 9/11 release for this game’s sequel.

They forgot.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Here's my levels. I had a lot of fun submitting to twitch streamers and can't wait to see what new tricks I can discover in the sequel!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/chronos30

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Now that I'm seeing links to levels, are any of them playable on the 3DS version?

Here's how I think (hope) the release happens:

Right before or during E3, they have a Direct with a longer trailer that ends with

"Available in the eShop NOW!!!"

Then the eShop proceeds to melt down.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

rockinricky posted:

Now that I'm seeing links to levels, are any of them playable on the 3DS version?

Right before or during E3, they have a Direct with a longer trailer that ends with

I really doubt they'll ever do that with any game that also has a physical release since then they'd have to release digital early or somehow surprise people with physical copy releases in stores at the same time?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh, cool, level sharing time!

I'm proudest of my ghost house, which I feel is the closest thing I've made to a ghost house from Super Mario World. I'd probably like to remake this in 2: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9161-0000-0042-39A1

This one is a gimmick stealth level where interacting with anything other than coins will make the level harder: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7504-0000-00DC-5D68

And here's some of the other ones I made:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2B8F-0000-00D7-2BBA (fairly standard level)
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/18D6-0000-0015-C894 (my first level)

I'm annoyed that one of my levels was deleted, I thought I had a pretty good idea that nobody else had done, and I'll be sure to remake it once 2 is out.

Another level I made was also deleted but that was because Nintendo patched out the old camouflage block glitch, which I worked really hard on making into a mischievous but fair level!

Anyway I'm super hype for this game! Looking forward to renovating some of the levels I linked above with new gimmicks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

rockinricky posted:

There might be a way if you have a device that fakes streetpasses over a wifi link. Ask in the homebrew thread.

Also if you were around for the Splatoon 2 release, they didn't do preorders, and the eShop bottomed out for an hour I think?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DalaranJ posted:

There might be a way if you have a device that fakes streetpasses over a wifi link. Ask in the homebrew thread.

Also if you were around for the Splatoon 2 release, they didn't do preorders, and the eShop bottomed out for an hour I think?

They did preorders for Octo Expansion, and while the eShop itself survived, the game download took several hours for everyone on release day because everyone was trying to download it at the same time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The week two contest was about making other arcade games in Mario Maker. The winners were

TIME CRISIS
By FPzero
DD35-0000-0059-F093

and
ILF Contest Entry: BINGO!
By Skunkrocker
D2B0-0000-0050-EAEC

In addition, I'd like to share one of my favorite levels from FactsAreUseless: Grave Robbers from Outerspace! which is an interesting experimentation with telling a three act story in Mario Maker (and overusing the sound effects).

--------

My current plan to supplant the previous threads contests is to:
Have one weekly themed level design challenge that runs from Saturday to Friday (this is replacing the previous contests)
Have one weekly blitz/jam challenge that runs for 24 hours Friday to Saturday.

Supplementing this will be a version of the master spreadsheet from the previous thread (which hopefully we won't need very much if Nintendo gets their act together this time).
I'm hoping to do some curation of a level list from the challenges, and ask for some input on it.
I also intend to write at least one essay for the OP about making levels.

Open questions are,
Should I promote goon levels outside of SA, and if so how?
What should I add to the thread for 'world creation' if the game allows it?
What should I add to the thread for 'world creation' is the game does not allow it?
What should I add to the thread if the game allows online collaborative level design?
What should I add to the thread if the game allows online coop play?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For promotion, Twitter is likely the best bet, with a hashtag.

As for the other questions, no idea.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I dragged my Wii U out of the basement today and revisited all of my old levels. It's been 2-3 years since I last played them and had largely forgotten a lot of the layouts and no longer had the muscle memory to just speed through them. It's a good way to get an experience that's closer to what a new player would get and I definitely noticed some places that I thought were fine at the time but that I would probably tweak now to be a bit friendlier to the player or make things flow better. If SMM2 doesn't have backwards compatibility with the old levels I might try to remake some of my better ones.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, I'm so stoked for this game! I had so much fun with the first one, both making and playing levels, and the brief trailer was just packed with crazy additions. I did enjoy playing goon levels as well, even if I never really participated in the old thread myself. And I've gone and bookmarked all the profiles posted here. Looks like it's time to hook up the ol' Wii U again!
I do hope they have some manner of comment system, though. At very least the levels would seem rather empty without those "highest!" comments littered everywhere. But some of my best memories of the game was coming across other awesome Mario Makers online, playing and commenting their courses, and watching as they'd do the same. I found a number of cool players where we'd mutually play through each others' courses like this.

Since all the cool kids are doing it, here's my Mario Maker Bookmark profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/raccoon?type=posted

And a few highlights:
This one got stupidly popular for some reason. It's a ghosty tower with some scrolling tricks at the end.
Some of my favorite courses I made were those that had a bit of a narrative, like this one, where you go trespassing in Old Man Wiggler's house, or this one, where you take down a metal Godzilla from the inside.
Towards the end, I got obsessed with Bill Blasters and the kinds of novel tricks you could pull off with them. I got a few good levels out of playing with these ideas.

As for dream features I'd like to see, there's one simple one I'd love: the ability to divide up your level into distinct areas. I'm not talking anything fancy, just being able to add/remove little walls on your course map where it's already got the screen length indicators. And these walls would act as the edge of a screen, so the camera would stop scrolling beyond it, and nothing on the other side would load. It would make a huge difference when making courses with a lot of doors or pipes, where you want to convey, say, an area that's inside a house, or a number of single-screen underground secrets. Right now, all you can do is either space these areas far apart, which can be wasteful, or else allow the player to see the other bits of the level beyond the walls, which can be awkward.
I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm probably not alone in thinking this, but I want to make genuinely good levels. Not super hard ones, not gimmicky ones, but ones that just flow really well, have good challenges and a good risk/reward balance, stuff like that. For example, I'm thinking of making an area now where you enter from a pipe, either from above or below, and all of the floor to the left is lava, and there are platforms on the right. Cue an unending (but not overwhelming) barrage of bullet bills flying in from the left. So, naturally, you think 'poo poo, I better go right', and if you do that, you can beat the level while dodging the bills following you, and trying not to fall into the lava. BUT, if you use the bullet bills as platforms, you could actually go left for some super secret. I love those instances in both Mario 2 and 3 where there were just straight-up separate paths, or shortcuts, through areas if you knew to look and experiment. First level of SMB2 is a prime example. Climb up the vines outside, or go through the back way via the door in the cave?

I think about this kind of thing waaaay too often while I'm at work. It's going to be even worse when I'll have the ability and opportunity to put that kind of thing together when I'm at home :allears:

I appreciate all map types; anything that's memorable has my respect, though I have to really hand it to those levels that aren't just bullshit hard but manage to still have a good challenge to them.

EDIT: Rereading this, I don't think I explained myself properly and it sounds super dumb. Yes, everyone wants to make good levels (unless they're trying to purposely troll players, which I also applaud). I guess I don't see myself ever seriously planning out and building a gimmick or Kaizo-like level or experience :shobon: Just doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 24, 2019

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

All the kids whining for slopes got their wish, but where's the thing we really needed?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm probably not alone in thinking this, but I want to make genuinely good levels. Not super hard ones, not gimmicky ones, but ones that just flow really well, have good challenges and a good risk/reward balance, stuff like that. For example, I'm thinking of making an area now where you enter from a pipe, either from above or below, and all of the floor to the left is lava, and there are platforms on the right. Cue an unending (but not overwhelming) barrage of bullet bills flying in from the left. So, naturally, you think 'poo poo, I better go right', and if you do that, you can beat the level while dodging the bills following you, and trying not to fall into the lava. BUT, if you use the bullet bills as platforms, you could actually go left for some super secret. I love those instances in both Mario 2 and 3 where there were just straight-up separate paths, or shortcuts, through areas if you knew to look and experiment. First level of SMB2 is a prime example. Climb up the vines outside, or go through the back way via the door in the cave?

I feel you. While I appreciate a good gimmick level every once in awhile, I do prefer to play and make levels that feel close to a traditional level with difficulty that doesn’t get too much worse than what you’d find in an end game area. The Kaizo stuff is fun to watch but I don’t like playing them and my one attempt to make one was frustrating. I also can’t help hiding secrets or spending time making hidden exits even though I know that with the nature of this game you can barely expect most people to even finish your level once let alone take the time to replay it to check out alternate paths.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well since everyone's digging out their old levels here's my Bookmark page.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/SilverSpark?type=posted

I suppose the bigger/more popular highlights are the ones where I toyed around with boss concepts.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2D7A-0000-001C-24C3
THWOMPS DOMINION: My first level, and apparently my most well received one still. I was still learning the ropes when I was making this one.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F0C0-0000-01F1-FADE
Thwomp's Revenge: A sequel I made to my first after learning more about level design and having more tools to work with.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F9CC-0000-01B8-6505
Rocky's Power Trip: Another stage with a boss concept.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7609-0000-01F7-9348
Cavern Climb: An updated version of an older stage based on feedback and ideas from things added in updates. Probably my favorite stage from my own creations.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5A26-0000-005F-B37F
Touch Buzzy Get Dizzy: A dumb gimmick level. But I'm still fond of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have videos and/or screenshots of any of levels, so people without the first game can sort of check them out?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

As for the other questions, no idea.

This is the sort of thing where I just had to write it down to work it out. It's mostly squared now.

Anyone have videos and/or screenshots of any of levels, so people without the first game can sort of check them out?

What are you looking for? You can watch youtube videos of streamers doing expert levels but that's not really normal play.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

This is the sort of thing where I just had to write it down to work it out. It's mostly squared now.

What are you looking for? You can watch youtube videos of streamers doing expert levels but that's not really normal play.

Oh I just meant levels that goons here have made. Without having the original game, it's the only way for some to experience these levels people are linking to.

I stuck through all 130+ episodes of Game Grumps playing the original (goddammit, Ross! :argh:) I've definitely seen my share of MM levels, in general.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It does feel like a missed opportunity that there weren't many goon streams of goon levels at least from what I remember. There was a SMM lp a long time ago but that died pretty quickly.

On a related note, trying to get random streamers to play my levels back in the day was a particularly enlightening glimpse into hell.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Oh I just meant levels that goons here have made. Without having the original game, it's the only way for some to experience these levels people are linking to.

Alright, that makes sense.
I can find at least one video of one of my levels being played. This one's for the metal Godzilla level, "The Iron Monster of Prof. Von-Omb" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-e3j1uI0o

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Two of our previous threads streamers channels appear to be dead and empty, and Little Mac's doesn't seem to have archived that far back because they stream regularly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DalaranJ posted:

Two of our previous threads streamers channels appear to be dead and empty, and Little Mac's doesn't seem to have archived that far back because they stream regularly.

We have some streams archived on our Youtube! And some playthroughs of some of my levels:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaY8wGSNNIo1jOrewAKnanGAQb_0g9NNm

Some long stream archives with some goon levels mixed in are at the bottom. Once SMM2 comes out I'll be streaming a ton!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cross-posted from the Switch thread, but I figured I'd ask here, too. With Mario Maker 2 coming out in June, when E3 is happening, aside from a Direct before then, is there any sort of press opportunity to show the game off more before the release/E3? How's that going to go? Anyone think that it'll come out before or after E3?

E3!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cross-posted from the Switch thread, but I figured I'd ask here, too. With Mario Maker 2 coming out in June, when E3 is happening, aside from a Direct before then, is there any sort of press opportunity to show the game off more before the release/E3? How's that going to go? Anyone think that it'll come out before or after E3?

E3!

DalaranJ posted:

The reason why it was stupid for me to make this thread is that the information flow about this game is likely to be:
The 90 second trailer we just saw this week.
Nothing for four months.
An entire day of tree house at e3, possibly with a Nintendo World Championship.
At the end of that day they say "and you can play it right now/next week!"

Oh, you probably wanted me to raise your hopes so that they can be dashed later. Nintendo did presentations in 2017 to promote the release of the Switch at GDC and SXSW which both happen in March.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, you probably wanted me to raise your hopes so that they can be dashed later. Nintendo did presentations in 2017 to promote the release of the Switch at GDC and SXSW which both happen in March.

Hey, that's something at least.

And I don't think it was stupid to make this thread :shobon: Bring the creators out to show off their previous stuff!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

SilverSupernova posted:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F0C0-0000-01F1-FADE
Thwomp's Revenge: A sequel I made to my first after learning more about level design and having more tools to work with.

I enjoyed this one! It's got a solid theme for a fortress, and I loved the escalating boss rooms at the end.

I liked the "Do you even lift?" level best. It's got a solid concept that it explores well in variations. I enjoyed it!

DarkLich posted:

I'm very hopeful towards some actual "World" support. There are already a few things that will help, such as more background variety type. An actual interface or linked levels would be a massive help though.

With SMM, I managed to create 8 worlds with 4 levels each, roughly fitting into a theme. Looks like it'll be much easier to do this time around!

If anyone is interested in playing them, here are links to the old posts. Personal favorites are Mech 4, Ancient 3, and Vine 1.

Island World & Frozen World
Vine World
Mech World
Ancient World
Sky World
Magic World
Bowser’s World

Hot dang, those are some excellent levels! I've been playing them pretty much at random, but I've loved every one! You've got excellent theming going for both the worlds and individual levels. And you really nail the level decoration. Kudos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Last Visible Dog posted:

I liked the "Do you even lift?" level best. It's got a solid concept that it explores well in variations. I enjoyed it!

Yeah, this concept turned out really good. Thwomps break blocks, but they can't if they're on a stack. You can kill Rocky Wrenches from below, and if they're stacked it releases the next object on the stack. Put those together and there's your level. I liked making players decide between releasing thwomps and having to deal with more wrenches.

------

The third week contest was to use enemies that didn't appear in SMB1.

The winner was Evil Eagle with Dr. Molenaut's Mean Moon Base

This level really transformed my view of what kind of things could be done with SMM.

My bonus level for this week is World 1-1 by Jarogue.

It's a level that won't need to be remade in SMM2 because we'll be able to make levels in the SMB2USA theme, right? *Death Stares at Miyamoto*

And while we're talking about World 1-1, here's one of my most popular levels. I shouldn't have been surprised that SMM players are into nostalgia.
Total Recall

"We have created a level according to your exacting specifications.
It's a block for block recreation of Super Mario Bros. World 1-1.
In fact, we guarantee it."