Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How do you make a Mario Level?

A Mario level is made up of a series of challenges mixed with rest (and catharsis) sections. Usually, a level will start by introducing its main idea with an extremely easy version of its challenge and then develop the challenge further by lengthening its challenge or complicating the challenge through each additional section, with the final section being the most difficult. Earlier in the series, especially in Super Mario Bros. levels tended not to have a very strong theme, but this changed as the complexity of each later game allowed clearer level themes. When making a Mario Maker level I would recommend using a strongly themed approach to levels given all the options available.
More recent games have used a structure similar to one from Japanese short poetry called Kishōtenketsu. (Watch the below video for more.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIkEvEBtA
What this adds to the structure of the level is an orthogonal challenge which mixes with the main challenge towards the end to create a more interesting finale.

An example of a theme for a level might be something like "Use Kuribo's shoe to fight off spiketops on platforms". If you want a more 'realistic' Mario level, think of the sort of thing you might see from Super Mario Bros. 3 or World, like World 1-2, or Cheese Bridge. A challenge oriented theme isn't the only way to go though, some of our favorite levels use a narrative theme instead. What if you had to fight sea pirates, or rob a train, what would those levels look like?

Don't forget to put some special hidden areas and rewards in your level for extra skilled players or careful explorers. This is a key feature to make your level feel special.

Okay, but like, what are the steps to creating a level?
  • Come up with a theme.
  • Create an introductory challenge and test whether it 'works'.
  • Elaborate with further challenges testing how enjoyable they are as you go.
  • Add in hidden rewards.
  • Optional: Add an orthogonal challenge past the half way point.
  • Create an ultimate challenge before the end of the level.
  • Test the level as a whole several times, and adjust the difficulty and secrets as desired.
This might make a pretty rote level. Mix it up if you feel the need to.

How do I get more stars?

The number one factor in getting stars is getting people to play your levels.
And the best way to get your levels played is to post them on Reddit in the thread.
After that, I've been told the second most important factor is making your level beatable by people. This is hard, because you're probably better at Mario than most of the game's players already, and the levels you've played the most are your own. Try to scale the challenge back a little if your aim is more stars.

That's all of my general advice for level creation. I'm sure you'll do great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNKOt2k7Pm4&t=45s

Sea Lily posted:

It's okay to make levels that make you happy and share them even if you think they are not amazing

It is also okay to not make levels at all and just play ones other people made!

Mario does not judge you, Mario loves you for who you are

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope we get more new bosses then just Boom Boom. While similar to Bowser Jr I would love the Koopalings.

If I was responsible placing them in the game I would probably differentiate them in a way like this.

Jr: Same behavior as Maker 1. Does his short hops, fireballs, and once in a while ground pound.

Larry Vanilla Koopaling: Jumps around more aggressively and higher than Jr. While firing blasts that take about a second to launch. Starts to rapid fire them on his last hit. Most basic Koopaling.
Morton Heavy Koopaling: Jumps like Larry, but ground pounds when he does so. Fires an instant blast if he stuns Mario, which can guarantee damage if Mario is too close. Unique customization option can be merged with a Hammer/Sledge Bro to give him a hammer that gives him hammer throws, but he still chases Mario.
Wendy Special Shot Koopaling: Fires rings that bounce off objects and walls, increasing the number she fires based on her damage. Maybe combine her with Boomerang Bro to have her rings act as boomerangs.
Iggy Upgraded Vanilla Koopaling: Better Larry, is faster, jumps higher than him, and shoots his blasts out much faster. Combined with Chain Comp to give him his Comp chariot, which pulls him along the ground or if put on a track on it.
Roy Upgraded Heavy Koopaling: Better Morton, faster, more aggressive with ground pounds, shoots out blasts faster. Combined with Bill Blaster to give him a canon to shoot. (Red or Black)
Lemmy Alternate Special Shot Koopaling: Launches bouncing balls and rides one. Super Mushroom can be put on his ball instead of him to increase its size.
Ludwig Super Koopaling: Alternates between Homing blasts and Bursts of blasts. Flutter jumps into the air trying to remain above Mario. Can be combined with Magikoopa allow him flight and the ability to create two temporary duplicates.

Then of course there is a ton of a other stuff that can be universally combined with them that can edit their behavior. Combined with all the different stage layouts and stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I realize that making a Yoshi's Island tileset would probably take a ton of doing but I think I could be happy if you could just make Yoshi the playable character in the tilesets where he appears so you can at least make stuff that could feel like a Yoshi's Island stage without having to put a million eggs everywhere and basically make yourself invincible with a ton of free hits.

I guess I also never reshared my bookmarks page for this thread

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Phantasium?type=posted

I started just making a bunch of generic stuff (which actually got deleted), got a ton of people playing the Mariovania stage, and then went off on a tangent of making micro levels that take place all in one screen. Aside from those I'm particularly proud of the stage that is just a long bowser boss fight, the stage I made that has tanks that chase you, and the wario stage where I put a bunch of microlevels together.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'll probably get roasted for this but all I really want in a new Mario Maker is alternate music for each game/level :v:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
My old profile. https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/hyperphase?type=posted

I have no idea how 35%+ of people managed to fail Schopenhauer Was Here, which is supposed to contain no risk. Nor how His Experiments, which was just me experimenting and is seconds long, ever got starred.

Also, the seventh level I did, There Are Only Murderers, where every enemy and Mario plays the horrified scream effect when they die, was pulled for some reason.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 6, 2019

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

suuma posted:

I'll probably get roasted for this but all I really want in a new Mario Maker is alternate music for each game/level :v:

It needs an almost Smash amount of Mario series music that you can use on any level regardless of theme

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i want multiple tracks for every costume

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Instead of needing to set up complicated contraptions of note blocks on tracks for custom music, just give us a Mario Paint-style music editor.

And as long as I'm wishing, USB mouse support.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

hyphz posted:

I have no idea how 35%+ of people managed to fail Schopenhauer Was Here, which is supposed to contain no risk. Nor how His Experiments, which was just me experimenting and is seconds long, ever got starred.
If your level has a pit someone will fall in it no matter how small or out of the way it is. People are surprisingly bad at Mario in general, but some of them are literally three years old. Those same players might also be inclined to start your simple level since they were actually able to complete it. The other reason you might see a star there is just people whose levels you star will often reciprocate. Starring levels on the new tab is actually a good way to get stars yourself.

quote:

Also, the seventh level I did, There Are Only Murderers, where every enemy and Mario plays the horrified scream effect when they die, was pulled for some reason.

At some point Nintendo started deleting unpopular levels. I don’t know the criteria but I think if you go a certain length of time without getting a star they take it down and never let you upload it again. Posting levels in this thread should help fight against that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I've reuploaded one of my levels but it's also been years since then and I might have added something to it.

Also I'd just assume unless you see a bunch of Xs in your easy level that you've got a low completion percentage just because people see your level and don't even bother playing it. Maybe because they recognize 1-1 and just quit out?

I know aside from popularity that Nintendo will also delete levels if they violate some nebulous rules I don't remember, maybe because the level has the word murderers in it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I feel like I've reuploaded one of my levels but it's also been years since then and I might have added something to it.

I think it’s only if Nintendo takes a level down that you’re not allowed to reupload. It never happened to me, but I’ve seen people recommend that you save your level in a backup slot before uploading it so you could reupload from the backup if need be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, in general, how long would you all say it takes to make a level, start to finish, with testing and all that? A few days? Weeks? Hours?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe my levels are poo poo but it never took me more than a single play session unless I ran out of ideas.

Couple hours?

Of course the types of levels I made the most of were single screen levels!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How long is a piece of string? Anywhere from 30 mins to six hours+ depending on the length and level of intricacy involved

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I spent an average of six hours on most of my levels.
Joy factory took exactly 20 minutes. Come Sail Away took 62.
Solar Jetman took me over 14 hours. It’s the only one I would consider a mistake overall.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It depends on the length and level of complexity. The editor is very easy to use so slapping down some platforms and enemies doesn’t take long but trying to make something that is actually fun to play takes some work. I would guess mine took anywhere from 2 to 8 hours and a decent amount of that would have been dedicated to testing and fine-tuning.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The week four contest had a stealth theme, the winners were:
Moose On the Loose with Mario Teaches Stealth

and

Angry Ed with Infiltrate the ? Block Factory

One thing I'm looking forward to doing in the new thread is submitting more of our levels to GameCenter CX like this goon level that was played live on air.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

One thing I'm looking forward to doing in the new thread is submitting more of our levels to GameCenter CX like this goon level that was played live on air.

Didn't said goon also send him whiskey as a thank you for playing it on air?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Didn't said goon also send him whiskey as a thank you for playing it on air?

Ok, that's nice and all, but what's the real benefit to having a streamer play your game on their stream? Yeah, people go and download the map, you get higher numbers, but... is that it? I know to some that might be its own reward, but it's not like the person made an indie game, is selling it, and had their sales skyrocket from it being streamed. I'm not trying to say that if you don't get paid, it's not worth it, but I definitely don't think I'd be sending gifts to people for streaming a level I made in a game.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

People are fans of things

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, that's nice and all, but what's the real benefit to having a streamer play your game on their stream? Yeah, people go and download the map, you get higher numbers, but... is that it? I know to some that might be its own reward, but it's not like the person made an indie game, is selling it, and had their sales skyrocket from it being streamed. I'm not trying to say that if you don't get paid, it's not worth it, but I definitely don't think I'd be sending gifts to people for streaming a level I made in a game.

Gamecenter CX isn’t a streamer, it’s a Japanese tv show that’s been on for several years. It’s pretty good.

The dudes level was played on tv on a popular show which is a little better than twitch. Not much though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Overbite posted:

Gamecenter CX isn’t a streamer, it’s a Japanese tv show that’s been on for several years. It’s pretty good.

The dudes level was played on tv on a popular show which is a little better than twitch. Not much though.

Oh, I didn't know it was Gamecenter! I love Arino! :toot:

I've seen this whole thing a few other places though, like 'how to get streamers to play your levels', and I can't imagine caring that much, but being on Gamecenter is definitely cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you get popular people to play your levels you get more medals and more medals means you can upload more stages.

Also the whole point of the game is getting people to play your levels, so, it's fun to see what other people think of it in a way that's more tangible than just a number or Xs attached to your level map?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

If you get popular people to play your levels you get more medals and more medals means you can upload more stages.

Also the whole point of the game is getting people to play your levels, so, it's fun to see what other people think of it in a way that's more tangible than just a number or Xs attached to your level map?

Ok, this makes more sense, especially raising the upload cap. Thanks!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqfiDAYCO4
21:53 into the video above.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The fifth week contest was about expensive things and cheap things.

The winner was me with: Roy Koopa's Bargain Basement Repairships

I can already see how much better this level would be just by replacing the P switches with switch blocks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Well, absolutely no news from SXSW or GDC or Pax East, so that sucks.

Anyway the sixth week contest was about making an athletic, Control Volume won with Turtle Peaks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Well, absolutely no news from SXSW or GDC or Pax East, so that sucks.

Anyway the sixth week contest was about making an athletic, Control Volume won with Turtle Peaks

That image alone fills me with so much nostalgia, holy poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The number one thing I want but won't get is custom over worlds. I've been playing so many super Mario world rom hacks

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The number one thing I want but won't get is custom over worlds. I've been playing so many super Mario world rom hacks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe that functionality will be available later on, as a massive update.

I, too, want to believe. This game is going to sell like mad.

Super Mario Maker 2. Super Money Maker, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQ3ujJfnGA
This guy “implemented” some Mario Maker 2 features into the first game and it’s pretty clever.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Man, I'm really itching for some new info to come out. They still haven't even nailed down a release date.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQ3ujJfnGA
This guy “implemented” some Mario Maker 2 features into the first game and it’s pretty clever.
Ceave is awesome. His channel is full of stuff you'd never think could be done in Mario Maker although they usually seem like a pain in the rear end to actually implement.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Man, I'm really itching for some new info to come out. They still haven't even nailed down a release date.

I'm hoping this rumoured April 11th Direct will have more info. :f5:

EDIT: I really liked these tips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVqEAOoyP4

I haven't really played the first Mario Maker, and while I'm sure some of the new additions to MM2 might change these processes, there were some neat ideas. I'm not sure how many of these might've been super obvious to those who HAVE played the first one a bunch, but tying a chain chomp to a boo is a fantastic idea, I think.

I like GameXplain and all, but man... when Andre gets excited, he barely finishes his words :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, the more I think about it, the more I hope that MM2 has either the option to chain levels together to make a cohesive world, or flat-out allows the maker to make overworld maps, like SMB3/SMBW/NSMB. And I know tons of people have thought of this before, it's not a new idea, but I was watching a video on youtube that I can't seem to find now, and this person brought forth and explained why not having those things really (potentially) kills the vibe of levels.

See, when you have these one-off stages, they're fine, it's all good, but the moment you bring up powerups, special secrets, and especially free lives, the reasoning and drive for those really dies off if you know that, once you beat this level, you're 100% done with it and nothing else in the level matters. Like in Mario 3, sure, you can get through 1-1 without getting any powerups or anything, but you know that whatever your status is at the end of the level will more-or-less carry over to the next stage. So, in that case, it's absolutely in your best interest to get as much as you can, because you don't know what's up ahead for you, or you DO know, and want to be prepared.

Either way, if everything goes away once the level is done, why am I going to try harder to get to that secret spot that might give me a certain, special suit? Oh, so I can use it to access somewhere else and get 5 free lives? Cool, but why does that matter? And the more I think of it, the more I realize 'oh no, it's doesn't' :negative:

Or hey, I want to make an awesome secret that you can get if you fly up at the very beginning of my stage, and it's a secret warp (or key, or something) that lets you skip the next two levels. That logic is just non-existent in MM1, unfortunately.

Obviously, levels can be played just for fun, but there's going to come a time when people want more depth than that (and some might just want that right off the bat). The 100 Mario challenge is sort of a good way to tackle that, but can't you just outright skip levels in that, if they're too hard?

Sorry for the double post, but whatever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The 100 Mario challenge is sort of a good way to tackle that, but can't you just outright skip levels in that, if they're too hard?

You can skip levels but you usually only find out if a level is crap or bullshit by wasting a life or two on it, nevermind the people who make it so that you literally can't skip a level until you've died once; you can only skip on solid ground or after you've died, if a level starts you in motion into a bullshit scenario you just get ripped off.

Also if you get lives in that mode they add to your total count if you beat the level (up to 3 per level).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'd love an overworld creator but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It would of course make the game much better and would make for neat explanations or contexts for levels (enter a level set in an archipelago in the overworld and it makes sense that the level is made of solid raised platforms but the level has a "water" floor instead of soil, etc).

At the very least though, people need to be able to make sets of levels that are tied together, with potential for secret passages that take you straight to level X in the series, and hell, maybe even give people the option to bank powerups like in SMB3, or maybe let people stack multiple powerups you can drop down from the middle of the screen with the Select button like in SMW or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk above is definitely right about how forcing levels to exist in a vacuum really takes away a lot of the game's potential though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

While I'd also enjoy having a world builder and the ability to play through full games other creators put together, I just can't see Nintendo scoping in a separate over world editor that would only be used by maybe 1% of users. That would take time that is probably better spent adding more power-ups, enemies, and obstacles to the level editor. A smaller scale way to string levels together might be a bit more realistic, such as the ability for creators to rearrange the order of their levels and for players to select 'play all' on the creators profile. Better yet, allow for playlists to be created that can contain levels from multiple creators. In either case, lives should certainly carry over but maybe not power ups since levels should still be able to stand on their own for 100 Mario or whatever.

Phantasium posted:

You can skip levels but you usually only find out if a level is crap or bullshit by wasting a life or two on it, nevermind the people who make it so that you literally can't skip a level until you've died once; you can only skip on solid ground or after you've died, if a level starts you in motion into a bullshit scenario you just get ripped off.

They need to offer a one second grace period where if you die that quickly you can skip without losing a life. I don't care how much effort you put into the rest of your level, if you've got an insta-kill trap at the start I'm skipping it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, it would be great if Nintendo would put playlists into the game but call them "Worlds" or something.

Make a bunch of levels -> Menu -> Create New World -> Add levels to World -> Insert levels from your level bank -> edit your levels and put in level skips or whatever other context sensitive stuff you want in them -> share world code with friends -> go to rooftop party -> profit

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm fairly sure more than 1% of people would use the world feature. Certain creators would make full Mario games and those would get tons of play.