Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Nintendo stuff is always midnight EST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tnega posted:

In SMM1 we had the amazing Goons Make Mario site. Given that miiverse went out to buy some milk, is there going to be a better way to engorge myself on all the goon levels than a google spreadsheet?

The new game has Miis that only exist in this game, so presumably they could use the official bookmark site. I’m extremely anxious that they haven’t announced it yet, which makes me think it won’t be day 1.

Other than that coldpie (who made GMM) is already on board, and I have the new thread twitter account. I should update the form entry tonight, just in case we need it for a stopgap though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I will be happily checking in with this thread all weekend while I wait until Monday night to be able to jump into this beautiful and bullshit chaos with the rest of you.

Post often!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The ones with all the saws? I hate those levels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RodShaft posted:

The ones with all the saws? I hate those levels.

I LIKE those levels, and his is not a good one of the genre.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
DalaranJ could you maybe throw some of the "How to design a Mario Level" videos into the OP? I went back 7 pages to find this to brush up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

The one that reviewed a bunch of official Mario levels was informative as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheAardvark posted:

The one that reviewed a bunch of official Mario levels was informative as well.

Oh, which one’s this?

I’ll drop these in the current op when I get home, sure.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 26, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently you can't open other peoples levels in the editor anymore.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

cheesetriangles posted:

hosed up if true

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's gonna really suck for figuring out how crazy levels work

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tnega posted:

In SMM1 we had the amazing Goons Make Mario site. Given that miiverse went out to buy some milk, is there going to be a better way to engorge myself on all the goon levels than a google spreadsheet?

I imagine the Mario Maker Bookmark site still exists, so people could just link their profiles.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

that's nonsense if true. how else am i going to figure out where they hid poo poo?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I imagine the Mario Maker Bookmark site still exists, so people could just link their profiles.

It does, and the unofficial browser add-on that adds the ability to bookmark levels if they're posted still works in chrome and firefox.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/super_mario_maker_2

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

cheesetriangles posted:

That sounds extremely stupid. No more interesting post-level analysis from CarlSagan42, and lovely hidden-star levels will be more rampant than ever in online play.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nintendo is a company well known for making the dumbest possible decisions.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The Builder Suit giving Mario the ability to create crates to throw and stand on, as well as destroy walls, is going to lead to some really interesting stuff. The Super Ball making a return will too! I'm more and more excited with each and every little thing they add in. Why isn't it Friday yet!?

Dataminers haven't shown any other new powerups, but I hope they add something for the other game types as well. Hammer Suit for Mario 3, P Balloon for SMW, and Ice Flower for NSMB.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This pointed out a neat detail I was not aware of. After playing a level in multiplayer it asks you to rate the level as a multiplayer experience. I has been wondering if they had any solution for levels that weren’t multiplayer appropriate.

How do you all see yourselves designing around multiplayer? Looking at my MM1 levels I think a lot of them would work fine but certain obstacles might not be optimal. I’d like everyone to have an enjoyable experience so I’ll probably try to be accommodating when possible but I’m not going to sacrifice a good idea if it doesn’t work for more than one player.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzYpdQyRmc

This is pretty neat! Holy heck am I hyped to make some awful levels this weekend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Builder Suit giving Mario the ability to create crates to throw and stand on, as well as destroy walls, is going to lead to some really interesting stuff. The Super Ball making a return will too! I'm more and more excited with each and every little thing they add in. Why isn't it Friday yet!?

Dataminers haven't shown any other new powerups, but I hope they add something for the other game types as well. Hammer Suit for Mario 3, P Balloon for SMW, and Ice Flower for NSMB.

They would have to code so many new object interactions for the ice flower I think it's unlikely, but I would love the acorn suit or dark horse Spiny Shell

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it Friday yet I have the urge

to Build

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DV_BQQslfw

Clean Super Ball footage

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Very cool. I love that it changes the music.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cheesetriangles posted:

Man, some of my favorite levels had secrets you couldn't find w/out reverse engineering the thing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Relevant Tangent posted:

Man, some of my favorite levels had secrets you couldn't find w/out reverse engineering the thing

Ross from Game Grumps is going to have a goddamned field day.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Thats probably to stop people from taking someone elses level and uploading it as their own.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Has it been said whether or not you can play as the multiplayer characters in single player? I want to play Luigi Maker.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pixeltendo posted:

Thats probably to stop people from taking someone elses level and uploading it as their own.

You couldn't actually do that, though. You'd still have to build the level from scratch tile by tile, you just have the info how it was build to enable you to do so.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its going to suck that puzzle levels that break the game engine over its knee cant be analyzed

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Miles McCloud posted:

Has it been said whether or not you can play as the multiplayer characters in single player? I want to play Luigi Maker.

I believe that was confirmed awhile ago.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kaizo has been heavily nerfed in smm2

You can no longer grab items, such as galoombas, pows, springs, and p-switches, while spinning in the air.

Shell physics have been altered to where shells bounce slower off walls. Shell jumps are still possible but will now require adjustment to what veteran players are used too.

It is much harder to slip under music blocks by throwing shells at them, you now have to crouch instantly after throwing the shell.

Considering these changes I’m sure other tricks such as midairs may not work as well. Personally, I think this is a blow to the core community of the game that kept the game alive during the Wii U era. However, I expect Nintendo to change this following the inevitable outrage from some of the community. I will try to remain optimistic considering that smm1 was not perfect at launch either and Nintendo ended up adding important features such as checkpoints.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Control Volume posted:

However, I expect Nintendo to change this following the inevitable outrage from some of the community.

Nintendo is not going to patch in a bunch of jank to appease the Kaizo community.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Control Volume posted:

Kaizo has been heavily nerfed in smm2

You can no longer grab items, such as galoombas, pows, springs, and p-switches, while spinning in the air.

Shell physics have been altered to where shells bounce slower off walls. Shell jumps are still possible but will now require adjustment to what veteran players are used too.

It is much harder to slip under music blocks by throwing shells at them, you now have to crouch instantly after throwing the shell.

Considering these changes I’m sure other tricks such as midairs may not work as well. Personally, I think this is a blow to the core community of the game that kept the game alive during the Wii U era. However, I expect Nintendo to change this following the inevitable outrage from some of the community. I will try to remain optimistic considering that smm1 was not perfect at launch either and Nintendo ended up adding important features such as checkpoints.

Not that I particularly care or would ever be able to do anything like that, why would Nintendo do that? The people who want those features are the people that will be keeping Mario Maker going long after casual people move on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Do you hear that, mr miyamoto? it is the sound of.... inevitability [two dozen screeching kaizo players come barreling down a subway tunnel]

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think ya'll are overestimating the actual power of a niche fandom

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Tough Kaizo levels were going to be a nightmare anyway without level editor.

Having to practice the last section of a level only on legit clear attempts would make some levels take 10x as long as they did in MM1 to clear.

I don't think at all that they'll cave in to the hardcore players, but I do think it will have a direct impact on long term streaming/popularity. Probably more than made up for by the console it's on being much more popular.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kaizo bullshit was the worst part of the 100 mario runs and I'm glad they're ruining it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I never played the game after super expert came out, how drastically did it improve the game by filtering out all the kaizo/troll bullshit

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Control Volume posted:

I never played the game after super expert came out, how drastically did it improve the game by filtering out all the kaizo/troll bullshit

Expert runs did get a fair bit more playable although there's still plenty of pick a path and other dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I really don't get how Peepa's work and have only seen them in a few small clips. They kinda look like boo buddies (the rings) but you can decide how many are in the ring, and it looks like you can place them in the foreground and the background to mess with peoples depth perception.

I do like that they turn into little outlines when traveling through ground tiles though.