Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm fairly sure more than 1% of people would use the world feature. Certain creators would make full Mario games and those would get tons of play.

Yeah, I agree; I think a lot of people would be using the world function, if not for editing, than at least for playing. I know I'd rather download full sets of levels put together in some sort of theme, rather than just some individual ones here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A worlds feature of some sort would also fix one of the problems with the first game, which is that 1ups were completely meaningless.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I understand the irony since I am 100% already planning a ‘world’ of levels, but I think Super Mario Maker was intentionally designed to not have worlds. The intended consequences of this is to encourage makers to create more varied levels, and to encourage players to play levels by many different people. It succeeded in both of these areas.

What would I do as an alternative to worlds? First I would allow creators to set an option on their levels that would load Mario’s powerup state from the last played level (if compatible?). Second I would change the costume mushroom unlocks into a ‘cash shop’ where you spend extra lives to buy the unlocks (recall that you are limited to 3 extra lives per level which reduces the incentive to create ‘farming’ levels).

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I would love to be able to make worlds. My biggest beef with 1 was that secrets and hidden stuff were pointless and making each level in a vacuum led to more kaizo stuff than I’d like. I want to make a 4 or so level set and have power ups and lives matter. But I’m one of those plebs who likes to make levels that you could imagine would actually be in a Mario game.

Also add the big coins to collect you cowards.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Overbite posted:

Also add the big coins to collect you cowards.

I would love to see these as well. They would encourage replays and hunting for those secrets we all like to put in. I do think they would need to go a step further to actually incentivize collecting them. First off I’d make “full clear” a separate stat from regular clears on the level info so players will want to work to get their name posted. I’d also some sort of in-game reward so maybe tie some exclusive costumes to getting enough full clears or maybe make it an alternate way to earn badges assuming they keep that system.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If we don't get a fully editable overworld map, then as a compromise I could see players getting a pre-configured flow chart template thing where you could make sort of a connect-the-dots type level path with your levels placed in them.

I could also see neat stuff like being able to add forks in the path and maybe level gates to later levels like "must have beaten X total levels and specifically level(s) X and Y to continue." etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Obviously, I don't know how long they've been working on the new Mario Maker, but if I was betting money, I'd say that the original release will be very similar to the original, with a bunch of the features shown in the trailer. "Hey, remember Mario Maker? Now it's on the Switch!"

Then, a few months down the line, they'll announce a huge update, which will include the ability to create overworlds from your levels. It'd be sort of like how you edit your Mushroom Kingdom in Super Mario Run, maybe even with unlockables, found through editing and/or playing. Maybe there'll be DLC for extra Overworld items, who knows.

I say this will be added later because if it was a feature available from launch, why the hell wouldn't they show that off in the trailer?

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and all of this stuff is available right out of the gate. I at least hope there's some sort of continuous play/level chaining option available.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly a full site is coming for the game soon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not like everything for the first game was there at launch, or that there isn't time to show off more new features considering there's only the first trailer and not even a hard release date other than "June"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It's not like everything for the first game was there at launch, or that there isn't time to show off more new features considering there's only the first trailer and not even a hard release date other than "June"

Yeah, true, but seeing as though Kirby and Mario Tennis got all of these seemingly fundamental updates post release, the same might happen with Mario Maker.

Again, though, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Where was the news about the MM2 website?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Where was the news about the MM2 website?

Technically, on the website itself.
Realistically, gamexplain, subscribe if you want videos about 100 different swimming animations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We got a hard release date

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1121171963001606145

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Disappointed but not surprised that it's right at the end of June. Now if only we could get another direct or some sort of write up confirming more features.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

J-Spot posted:

Disappointed but not surprised that it's right at the end of June. Now if only we could get another direct or some sort of write up confirming more features.

E3 is in early June so I’m sure we’ll get a ton of info for it then.

jercoxthealmighty
Dec 18, 2007
I am glad i assumed and prepared myself to expect that june meant June 30th right off the bat. It means i am very slightly pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed. :downs:

Very much lookig forward to this game. The original was the entire reason i bought a wii u and i've been anticipating this since i got a switch.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They put out a small release date announcement trailer. It doesn’t really show off anything new apart from Banzai Bills being placeable outside of cannons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

They put out a small release date announcement trailer. It doesn’t really show off anything new apart from Banzai Bills being placeable outside of cannons.

As mentioned in the comments, GameXplain likely has already started their 90 minute in-depth look at this video.

And I will watch all of that.

EDIT: drat, only ~9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKo0N8gUWA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 25, 2019

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ugh, right while I'll be at SGDQ.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The youtube description mentions a stylus as a preorder bonus.

I wonder how/if that will work for people like me who buy all digital.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GreatGreen posted:

Last time they included that little art book with the game and mailed it to people that bought digital. It would be nice if they did something similar here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

The only thing I’ve sussed out from this new announcement that might not be apparent is that SMM2 will require Nintendo Online.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The 3D World skin looks cool from that new mini trailer. It's gonna be fun just goofing off with the clear pipes alone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

On their site it says digital preorders will get a voucher to claim a stylus too

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A Japanese Twitter account posted a poorly shot photograph of an in-store ad that featured screenshots showcasing several new elements. The tweet has since been deleted, but it was up long enough for GameXplain to get a video out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q-vKnSNLQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

A Japanese Twitter account posted a poorly shot photograph of an in-store ad that featured screenshots showcasing several new elements. The tweet has since been deleted, but it was up long enough for GameXplain to get a video out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q-vKnSNLQ

Man, I originally took that screenshot with the lava to be a desert area, as in perhaps it was a shot from an overworld.

Pleeeeeeeease be a feature!

EDIT: And now a new, expanded take on clearer screenshots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFkSjRhiNo

My god, why do I care so much? :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 29, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here are the screenshots:

Not sure if the SMW image there is a sky theme or they've just added more platform types to the airship theme. The background is identical though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just noticed that that piranha plant is upside down attached to a block. I remember actually wanting that for a couple of levels in Mario Maker 1

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The desert level looks rad, I hope they added a desert skin for all the versions. Excited to play with those grabber claws as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

I just noticed that that piranha plant is upside down attached to a block. I remember actually wanting that for a couple of levels in Mario Maker 1

A while ago, I watched a video of stuff you can do in MM1, and one of the things was attaching enemies to other enemies. The narrator stuck a chain-chomp to a boo, and holy poo poo, that is an incredible idea and I look forward to doing it a whole bunch.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It'll be cool if the stick/pad/buttons controls are good enough but I'll happily pre-order for a longer stylus (and apparently a discounted year of online apparently?)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
drat these levels look rad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm gonna make you surf on those lava guys

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLIBBarq8Y

Athletic theme confirmed :hellyeah:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I thought Athletic theme was the one from SMB3, notably from 1-4?

Anyway, gonna ask the obvious; is it just cheeky editing, or are they implying that you can use pipes to go between game styles?

If so, that would be amazing. And if they ever do add support for Super Mario Bros 2 (USA, not Lost Levels :argh:), I can see a trailer announcing it that showing Mario running and jumping into a pipe, and then coming out of one of those red and white pots with snakes shooting those bullets (?) all around him.

Genuinely looking forward to the teardown of this video, as well. :f5:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The timer, coin counter, and points are all different, so those three were just stitched together.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

People have already mentioned this a few times but what would really make this a certain purchase for me is a customizeable overworld with a story you could write yourself. Sure, it would require more work to moderate, but it would also mean My childhood dream of making a full Mario game would come true.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought Athletic theme was the one from SMB3, notably from 1-4?

They're talking about for Mario World, there's an Athletic theme in a bunch of Mario games, but in Mario Maker 1 the "sky" theme in World was just an airship theme level with fortress music and now there's a non-fortress version with the athletic theme from World like in that level where you sacrifice Yoshi.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

evilmiera posted:

People have already mentioned this a few times but what would really make this a certain purchase for me is a customizeable overworld with a story you could write yourself. Sure, it would require more work to moderate, but it would also mean My childhood dream of making a full Mario game would come true.

I wouldn't even care if it was something like max of 8 levels, and no visual overworld; I just want some sort of reason to not just beat a level, but explore it, beyond for exploration's sake. I want a reason that the player will need that cache of 5 extra lives, or why they probably should look for a secret that'll give them an awesome powerup before they exit, because the next level will be WAY better with it than without.

C'mon Nintendo :f5:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I wouldn't even care if it was something like max of 8 levels, and no visual overworld; I just want some sort of reason to not just beat a level, but explore it, beyond for exploration's sake. I want a reason that the player will need that cache of 5 extra lives, or why they probably should look for a secret that'll give them an awesome powerup before they exit, because the next level will be WAY better with it than without.

C'mon Nintendo :f5:

If they did overworlds, I'd design a level where you could see the goal post from the start and run to it. But if you tried the pipe/door then you would find a sublevel and have a chance to earn lots of extra lives.

The second level would be harder and those extra lifes would help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I watched this a few times, and I think I was able to figure out three new things.

1. at 0:41: Bloopers seem to work differently in 3D World style. It looks like they swim directly at you now. I don't remember if bloopers were even in 3D World so I don't know if this matches their behavior in that game.

2. at 0:44: The podoboos coming out of that red pipe seem to be spawning very quickly compared to how quickly enemies spawned out of green pipes in SMM1.

3. at 0:41: This one might be a stretch and will take some explaining, but you can see a banzai bill moving right when Mario moves toward the top of the stage. In SMM1 when enemies became active because the screen moved close enough to spawn them, and they would move or be oriented toward Mario. So if Mario is moving right, a Goomba would be moving left. Enemies becoming active would not be affected by vertical space. So if Mario is moving to the right underneath a Goomba and then moves up to where the Goomba can be seen, the Goomba will still be moving left.

The first horizontal Banzai Bill in the trailer is moving right, which suggests the game is taking into consideration of vertical space when spawning in enemies which could suggest you can change the vertical height of levels in some way. Or it could just be nothing idk.