Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For promotion, Twitter is likely the best bet, with a hashtag.

As for the other questions, no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm probably not alone in thinking this, but I want to make genuinely good levels. Not super hard ones, not gimmicky ones, but ones that just flow really well, have good challenges and a good risk/reward balance, stuff like that. For example, I'm thinking of making an area now where you enter from a pipe, either from above or below, and all of the floor to the left is lava, and there are platforms on the right. Cue an unending (but not overwhelming) barrage of bullet bills flying in from the left. So, naturally, you think 'poo poo, I better go right', and if you do that, you can beat the level while dodging the bills following you, and trying not to fall into the lava. BUT, if you use the bullet bills as platforms, you could actually go left for some super secret. I love those instances in both Mario 2 and 3 where there were just straight-up separate paths, or shortcuts, through areas if you knew to look and experiment. First level of SMB2 is a prime example. Climb up the vines outside, or go through the back way via the door in the cave?

I think about this kind of thing waaaay too often while I'm at work. It's going to be even worse when I'll have the ability and opportunity to put that kind of thing together when I'm at home :allears:

I appreciate all map types; anything that's memorable has my respect, though I have to really hand it to those levels that aren't just bullshit hard but manage to still have a good challenge to them.

EDIT: Rereading this, I don't think I explained myself properly and it sounds super dumb. Yes, everyone wants to make good levels (unless they're trying to purposely troll players, which I also applaud). I guess I don't see myself ever seriously planning out and building a gimmick or Kaizo-like level or experience :shobon: Just doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 24, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have videos and/or screenshots of any of levels, so people without the first game can sort of check them out?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

This is the sort of thing where I just had to write it down to work it out. It's mostly squared now.

What are you looking for? You can watch youtube videos of streamers doing expert levels but that's not really normal play.

Oh I just meant levels that goons here have made. Without having the original game, it's the only way for some to experience these levels people are linking to.

I stuck through all 130+ episodes of Game Grumps playing the original (goddammit, Ross! :argh:) I've definitely seen my share of MM levels, in general.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cross-posted from the Switch thread, but I figured I'd ask here, too. With Mario Maker 2 coming out in June, when E3 is happening, aside from a Direct before then, is there any sort of press opportunity to show the game off more before the release/E3? How's that going to go? Anyone think that it'll come out before or after E3?

E3!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, you probably wanted me to raise your hopes so that they can be dashed later. Nintendo did presentations in 2017 to promote the release of the Switch at GDC and SXSW which both happen in March.

Hey, that's something at least.

And I don't think it was stupid to make this thread :shobon: Bring the creators out to show off their previous stuff!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, in general, how long would you all say it takes to make a level, start to finish, with testing and all that? A few days? Weeks? Hours?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Didn't said goon also send him whiskey as a thank you for playing it on air?

Ok, that's nice and all, but what's the real benefit to having a streamer play your game on their stream? Yeah, people go and download the map, you get higher numbers, but... is that it? I know to some that might be its own reward, but it's not like the person made an indie game, is selling it, and had their sales skyrocket from it being streamed. I'm not trying to say that if you don't get paid, it's not worth it, but I definitely don't think I'd be sending gifts to people for streaming a level I made in a game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Overbite posted:

Gamecenter CX isn’t a streamer, it’s a Japanese tv show that’s been on for several years. It’s pretty good.

The dudes level was played on tv on a popular show which is a little better than twitch. Not much though.

Oh, I didn't know it was Gamecenter! I love Arino! :toot:

I've seen this whole thing a few other places though, like 'how to get streamers to play your levels', and I can't imagine caring that much, but being on Gamecenter is definitely cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

If you get popular people to play your levels you get more medals and more medals means you can upload more stages.

Also the whole point of the game is getting people to play your levels, so, it's fun to see what other people think of it in a way that's more tangible than just a number or Xs attached to your level map?

Ok, this makes more sense, especially raising the upload cap. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Well, absolutely no news from SXSW or GDC or Pax East, so that sucks.

Anyway the sixth week contest was about making an athletic, Control Volume won with Turtle Peaks

That image alone fills me with so much nostalgia, holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe that functionality will be available later on, as a massive update.

I, too, want to believe. This game is going to sell like mad.

Super Mario Maker 2. Super Money Maker, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Man, I'm really itching for some new info to come out. They still haven't even nailed down a release date.

I'm hoping this rumoured April 11th Direct will have more info. :f5:

EDIT: I really liked these tips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVqEAOoyP4

I haven't really played the first Mario Maker, and while I'm sure some of the new additions to MM2 might change these processes, there were some neat ideas. I'm not sure how many of these might've been super obvious to those who HAVE played the first one a bunch, but tying a chain chomp to a boo is a fantastic idea, I think.

I like GameXplain and all, but man... when Andre gets excited, he barely finishes his words :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, the more I think about it, the more I hope that MM2 has either the option to chain levels together to make a cohesive world, or flat-out allows the maker to make overworld maps, like SMB3/SMBW/NSMB. And I know tons of people have thought of this before, it's not a new idea, but I was watching a video on youtube that I can't seem to find now, and this person brought forth and explained why not having those things really (potentially) kills the vibe of levels.

See, when you have these one-off stages, they're fine, it's all good, but the moment you bring up powerups, special secrets, and especially free lives, the reasoning and drive for those really dies off if you know that, once you beat this level, you're 100% done with it and nothing else in the level matters. Like in Mario 3, sure, you can get through 1-1 without getting any powerups or anything, but you know that whatever your status is at the end of the level will more-or-less carry over to the next stage. So, in that case, it's absolutely in your best interest to get as much as you can, because you don't know what's up ahead for you, or you DO know, and want to be prepared.

Either way, if everything goes away once the level is done, why am I going to try harder to get to that secret spot that might give me a certain, special suit? Oh, so I can use it to access somewhere else and get 5 free lives? Cool, but why does that matter? And the more I think of it, the more I realize 'oh no, it's doesn't' :negative:

Or hey, I want to make an awesome secret that you can get if you fly up at the very beginning of my stage, and it's a secret warp (or key, or something) that lets you skip the next two levels. That logic is just non-existent in MM1, unfortunately.

Obviously, levels can be played just for fun, but there's going to come a time when people want more depth than that (and some might just want that right off the bat). The 100 Mario challenge is sort of a good way to tackle that, but can't you just outright skip levels in that, if they're too hard?

Sorry for the double post, but whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm fairly sure more than 1% of people would use the world feature. Certain creators would make full Mario games and those would get tons of play.

Yeah, I agree; I think a lot of people would be using the world function, if not for editing, than at least for playing. I know I'd rather download full sets of levels put together in some sort of theme, rather than just some individual ones here and there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Obviously, I don't know how long they've been working on the new Mario Maker, but if I was betting money, I'd say that the original release will be very similar to the original, with a bunch of the features shown in the trailer. "Hey, remember Mario Maker? Now it's on the Switch!"

Then, a few months down the line, they'll announce a huge update, which will include the ability to create overworlds from your levels. It'd be sort of like how you edit your Mushroom Kingdom in Super Mario Run, maybe even with unlockables, found through editing and/or playing. Maybe there'll be DLC for extra Overworld items, who knows.

I say this will be added later because if it was a feature available from launch, why the hell wouldn't they show that off in the trailer?

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and all of this stuff is available right out of the gate. I at least hope there's some sort of continuous play/level chaining option available.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It's not like everything for the first game was there at launch, or that there isn't time to show off more new features considering there's only the first trailer and not even a hard release date other than "June"

Yeah, true, but seeing as though Kirby and Mario Tennis got all of these seemingly fundamental updates post release, the same might happen with Mario Maker.

Again, though, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Where was the news about the MM2 website?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

They put out a small release date announcement trailer. It doesn’t really show off anything new apart from Banzai Bills being placeable outside of cannons.

As mentioned in the comments, GameXplain likely has already started their 90 minute in-depth look at this video.

And I will watch all of that.

EDIT: drat, only ~9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKo0N8gUWA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 25, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

A Japanese Twitter account posted a poorly shot photograph of an in-store ad that featured screenshots showcasing several new elements. The tweet has since been deleted, but it was up long enough for GameXplain to get a video out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q-vKnSNLQ

Man, I originally took that screenshot with the lava to be a desert area, as in perhaps it was a shot from an overworld.

Pleeeeeeeease be a feature!

EDIT: And now a new, expanded take on clearer screenshots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFkSjRhiNo

My god, why do I care so much? :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 29, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

I just noticed that that piranha plant is upside down attached to a block. I remember actually wanting that for a couple of levels in Mario Maker 1

A while ago, I watched a video of stuff you can do in MM1, and one of the things was attaching enemies to other enemies. The narrator stuck a chain-chomp to a boo, and holy poo poo, that is an incredible idea and I look forward to doing it a whole bunch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I thought Athletic theme was the one from SMB3, notably from 1-4?

Anyway, gonna ask the obvious; is it just cheeky editing, or are they implying that you can use pipes to go between game styles?

If so, that would be amazing. And if they ever do add support for Super Mario Bros 2 (USA, not Lost Levels :argh:), I can see a trailer announcing it that showing Mario running and jumping into a pipe, and then coming out of one of those red and white pots with snakes shooting those bullets (?) all around him.

Genuinely looking forward to the teardown of this video, as well. :f5:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

evilmiera posted:

People have already mentioned this a few times but what would really make this a certain purchase for me is a customizeable overworld with a story you could write yourself. Sure, it would require more work to moderate, but it would also mean My childhood dream of making a full Mario game would come true.

I wouldn't even care if it was something like max of 8 levels, and no visual overworld; I just want some sort of reason to not just beat a level, but explore it, beyond for exploration's sake. I want a reason that the player will need that cache of 5 extra lives, or why they probably should look for a secret that'll give them an awesome powerup before they exit, because the next level will be WAY better with it than without.

C'mon Nintendo :f5:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, so, I'd like to draw your attention to this obvious gap to the right of Super Mario 3D World style, and the use of plural.

Incredible, and I think it's finally time for them to give us some SMB2/USA love.

Bring back Wart!

Also, I still really want overworlds/campaign making.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Still kinda want All-Stars.

Here's hoping that whenever SNES games hit Switch Online, this is one of their launch titles.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Remember when they let you add voice clips but then when you uploaded the level they turned into bird chirps. I played a level called King of the Hill that had like 20 custom voice clips, and it made me sad.

"BOGGLE?!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like that you can turn off screen scroll with the big line of blocks, but I hope that means you won't get any outside interference.

Like if I place a Bowser on the other side of where the screen scrolls, I don't want him shooting his wallhack fireballs into the bonus room off screen.

I think just after they show the construction of that wall, they cut to someone playing it, and you can juuuuuust make out a koopa nose in the bottom right before it obviously turns around and walks away. At least I caught that last night, haven't rewatched it yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Man, I love how many cool objects they revealed that are not only useful, but can also make the levels much prettier. Colored pipes are probably my favorite! There are a few weird things, though. Much like many people, I really don't get why the water is only available in the Forest theme. That's a bummer. Not like addtion of "add water/lava" button would make the editor so much more complicated. With 3D World there's a lot of new things, quite a few grabbable objects, some have interactions with ground pound, and overall, porting every single one would probably delay the game for a pretty long time, not to mention it would feel kinda bloated.

Also not sure how I feel about night themes having their own gimmicks that, I assume, can't be turned off. Not that the gimmicks are bad, but 3-1 from the original Super Mario Bros was probably my favorite level in that game, and I'd like to mess around with night theme without all kinds of weird poo poo going on.

One thing I'm really not liking is the addition (I assume the first game didn't have it) of the "boo" button. Like, sure, I'll probably use it for those insane courses that require glitches, luck and pixel-perfect jumps to beat, but I wouldn't want children to be downvoted into oblivion because they had some fun with a million thwomps.

Why would a child care if his or her level was downvoted?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

One of mine was removed in this way and I thought it was a perfectly fine level with a gimmick I haven't seen anyone else do :mad:

Well, recreate it for us then! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

My checkpoints turn Mario into Weird Mario.

Yeah, this is what I'd be doing, too.

Hey, also, is there a sprite for Yoshi in SMB1? I ask because apparently he was originally supposed to be in that game, but the technology wasn't there, or Nintendo couldn't work out how to put him in, so he was scrapped/delayed until SMW.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember getting to world 3-1 in SMB1 for the first time, and being kind of blown away. That's weird, given that I had never experienced anything like this entire game in my life, and prior to 3-1, there were underground levels, water levels, sky/suspended platform levels. Yet there was something super charming to me (even though I didn't know exactly that it was charming at the time... I was 6) about the black background, but especially that first time when you get to a bridge, and there are little waves of water underneath it. My imagination started thinking about what it must be like to be IN the game itself, walking across a bridge, looking down at weird, videogame water. I don't know why I gave that little part more attention than anything in the rest of the game, but I did, and since then, I've absolutely loved that look.

I can't wait to make little water bridges in SMB1 night levels :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Oh, never thought I'd encounter someone who shares my opinion!
3-1 was special to me, and later on, when I didn't have anything to play it on, that was the level I was most nostalgic about. It's a very good level, and I think white pipes alongside black bacgrounds make it look incredible! And yeah, if I remember correctly, it's the only level with a little lake in it. Doesn't do anything, you still fall down, but it sure is prettier than a normal pit. I think Mario Maker still doesn't look quite right with its little stars, but eh, not like I'm going to complain that my SMB1 night level isn't as pretty.

I do hope you can switch the night version gimmicks off, sinse I generally like night levels more, but it's really not a big deal if you can't.

Oh yay! So I'm not alone in preferring world 3 over everything else. It's funny; the same goes for world 3 from SMB2/USA, because I don't remember a time when I didn't know about the warp in world 1-3, and I'd use it so often, I'd miss out on world 3.

World 2 I saw enough during every aborted attempt to go through the whole game legit. Everyone could make it to world 2.

World 3 (in SMB2) just seemed so weird, and like an advanced version of world 1. It had shortcuts, different paths through levels, a harder Mouser (the best boss, btw :colbert:) and the only red Snifit in the entire game.

I mean, right off the bat, you're rewarded by falling down a waterfall, something that is kind of taught to you as what not to do.

Yay world threes! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't wait to spend hours and hours poring over the tiniest detail in my level once I have the general gameplay of it figured out.

Any idea what kind of 'fluff' we can put in a given level? Like decorations, I mean. For example, the trees and/or clouds in SMB1. Do they just show up whwrever, or do you actually place those yourself, too?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Excellent stuff

This is all excellent stuff, and likely why I can't stand playing Donkey Kong Country. I never owned a Super Nintendo so I didn't / couldn't buy into the hype at the time. Playing it years later, I found the platforming either boring or incredibly frustrating.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 25, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bee posted:

I admit, not really sure where DKC comes from here. Does it not have a similar setpiece structure?

Not from my memory, and that's why I bring it up. I was reading this and immediately remembered a bunch of places in almost every 2d Mario game I've played that were similar.

And then I tried to think of other platformers that had at least some form of this logic. I was reminded of how DKC wasn't fun (for me) to play whatsoever, and it was due to the reasons I mentioned.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No overworld option, huh?

:negative:

I'm still buying this 100% though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm still going through GameXplain's coverage, but level-chaining/campaign/overworld making... yes/no? I'm assuming it's a 'no', otherwise it'd be big news.

Also, they said something about seeing another style that they weren't allowed to talk about, but it had to do with moons. Odyssey?

EDIT: They also seemed to imply that they didn't know why this other, unmentionable style had to do with moons, so maybe it's something totally different and unexpected.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

Hm, I notice that 3D World labels Magikoopas as "Kamek", so now I'm wondering if it's a boss type enemy in 3D World.

edit: oh, the synthesized voice still says "Magikoopa" though

I've always called them 'Kamek' and I can't even remember why. I didn't even own a SNES/SMW back in the day :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played MM1, are there any sort of glitch effects? I'd love to make a level that starts off as a recreation of 1-1, but very, very quickly breaks down into absolute madness (though not impossible to beat).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm so used to true SMB1 physics that it's going to be weird to be able to actually get some air after jumping on an enemy; that poo poo didn't show up until Mario 3 (unless Lost Levels/the real SMB2 had it?)

Also, I can't tell if I like or dislike the fact that there's a shadow from every single sprite in at least in SMB1 and SMB3 themes. Part of me kind of likes the weird depth it gives, the other part of me wishes I could make my levels look exactly like they'd come out of the original games.

Whatever, I'm sure I'll get used to it (never played SMM1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The bookmark tab was missing from the UI in the direct so unless they latch it in for launch that does look to be the case. If so, that really sucks as we’ll be back to punching in codes every time. I want to be able to easily queue up goon levels while I’m at work and have them waiting to play when I get home.

Oh man, this would be awesome. And this was a feature in SMM1?

Also, I was watching the NintendoLife video, it was like 4 or so minutes long, but man... I didn't enjoy playing Sunshine, but I did love the music, and having those tracks in there is wonderful.