Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Another blink and you'll miss it thing I noticed: you can now "boo" a level you don't like. On the one hand I will be more than happy to slam that button every time some fucker puts a thwomp above the starting location or puts a door over a pit, but I kind of prefer leaving that little bit of negativity out of the game. Hitting the skip button was cathartic enough.

I bet they won't show the downvotes and instead just push disliked levels down the likelihood of appearing. But saying, "This is a bad level," every time I come to a place where there's four path options and three of them kill you will make me feel better. (It's the third one, BTW. Just human psychology that if someone does this, they're almost definitely going to make the third one the correct path.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maybe Hammer Bros. Suit from SMB3 which would be rad

There are hammer suits in 3D world, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

I don’t care if you’re age 1 or 100, if your level has trap doors or a thwomp over the staring position you know what you did and deserve to be discouraged. The problem will be people abusing the boo button on good levels out of jealousy, spite, or just being bad at Mario. I like the idea of using it to suppress levels but I don’t know if I trust Nintendo to implement that well. They already delete levels that don’t get stars in a particular timeframe and lock you out of reuploading them which in some cases is a good thing but in others it’s just going to be a case of lack of discovery options which from what we’ve seen they’ve done nothing to address.

Things that will get an automatic "boo" from me:

- Killing the player at the start.
- Instant death doors/pipes
- Autolevels
- Any New Super Mario Bros themed level that starts with less than 100 on the clock.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I didn't realize that thwomps sent the seesaws flying, even when they're moving horizontally. We're going to get some crazy mechanical contraptions with this game...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

Sorry if this has been asked here, but is there a list of recommended good styluses for a Switch? The one someone mentioned a page ago was sold out on Amazon and I've never owned a stylus that didn't come with a DS before.

I've got a giant sack of DS styluses that I'm going to use...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Those aren't going to work, the Switch (and most modern touch screens) used a different technology to all the DS systems.

Ah well, guess it's finger stylus for me. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Asema posted:

plus if you have prime you got a full year of nintendo's terrible online so you don't have to pay for it! (through twitch prime which you get automatically if you have prime)

Literally the only thing I have used my Twitch Prime membership for.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Expert runs were fun for all sixteen levels, no stupid poo poo where they hide a vine somewhere and that's the real exit, no shell jump bullshit, none of the stuff that made super expert so tedious and unfun. It was genuinely a joy to blaze through sixteen well made levels and then stop for the day.

As the playing population dropped, however, that poo poo started appearing regularly in expert and sometimes even getting into normal. There's a reason Nintendo's trying to improve the physics to minimize it, though I'm sure new nearly frame perfect tricks will be learned and used in bullshit levels.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was thinking more like something that's announced online, and available for all players from home (though obviously only Nintendo Online subscribers). Like I mentioned, Tetris99 does these events periodically, and I'd love for SMM2 to somehow do something like that. Like 'here are 3 levels from Nintendo, chained together, and the top 1000 players to get the fastest time are put into a draw for <prize>' or something.

Mario Maker 1 had "event levels" that were regularly released that had a reward of a new mushroom costume for completing it. I don't see why they couldn't do something like that again.

The wait for the mailperson tomorrow is going to hurt...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFt8oYNuiA

Multiplayer is going to be weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The first ten levels I'm making:

1. The ultimate race stage which is a flat plain to the maximum length . Then it enters a pipe to go to the subworld...
2. Which of these 100 Bowsers has the key?
3. A complex contraption of blocks on rails that assembles itself into a crude picture of a naked woman. A shell toggling the on/off switch animates her breasts.
4. Everything enemy from the menu bar in one tall stack, placed one square over Mario's starting position.
5. World 1-1... from Super Mario Bros. 2
6. TWO THOUSAND ONE UP MUSHROOMS!!!!!!!!
7. Coins spell out the name of a popular twitch streamer and that's the only thing in the level.
8. Lakitus dropping lakitus.
9. Can you find the invisible block with the one coin required to finish the stage? (30 second time limit)
10. Hotel Mario homage stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, given that these levels must be mere megabytes in size, if that (maybe even kilobytes?), why the hell can't we store some stupidly high amount like 1000?

Oh, right.

Nintendo.

Legit answer: organization. Yeah, they could easily give you space until you fill up storage but navigating that as a menu is hard. So they picked a cap that they thought most users wouldn't bump up against but still wouldn't let things get lost.

Nintendo does crazy stuff, but one of their most consistent things is that they always go for accessibility.