Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm excited to make a bunch of new awful levels

I kind of wanna replay my old ones but I'd have to go to my mother's and convince my little brother to hook the Wii U back up

Relevant Tangent posted:

We sure Weird Mario is in?

Why would a sequel for this kind of game remove content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Two things I'm super hyped about;

-Not having to share my profile with my stupid little brother
-Being able to race my stupid little brother in courses and beat him horribly/lose embarrassingly

We spent a ton of time just passing the controller off to one another doing course runs. Its gonna be so cool actually being able to play the game together properly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't understand why you'd cut the amiibo support

Like, unlocking costumes was one of the main draws of actually completing courses online

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess I'll hold out hope for them patching some of the dumber choices out.

Remember that the original Mario Maker didn't even have checkpoints at launch :regd09:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I imagine there's a lot of weird interactions with many of the pieces we don't know about.

What I'm wondering is how much of the post-launch support will be porting 3D world assets to the other styles and vice versa. There are some things in 3D world that obviously won't work in the others, but at also some features that really don't have a reason to be 3D exclusive other than a lack of dev time. Post launch support for this game is gonna be pretty important, but given how well Mario Maker 1 was supported I'm not really worried about that.

gently caress, Mario Maker 1 didn't even launch with a repository for easily sharing levels :regd09:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how many of ya'll are gonna remake your favorite levels from Mario Maker 1?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I went back and replayed nearly all my levels over the weekend with my little brother. Was interesting to replay stuff I made ages ago and see how much I remembered. Some of them surprised me with how, uh, bad they were :saddowns:

Some takeaways I got from it;

-I made so many of my levels much harder than they should of been. Even when I was trying to make easier stuff I was shocked by how difficult it got. Its hard to gauge difficulty when you're making your own stuff but I really should of known better
-I used ice blocks way too much
-Just don't use dry bones in the Super Mario World theme. Or use them extremely sparingly. They might work well thematically but that stupid bone projectile is awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never wanna see an auto-music level again. Wow you recreated an awful 15 seconds sample of Megolavania! Have 500 stars! :regd09:

I can't really blame people for making them and they're harmless. They just all sound sooooo bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Chuck is too powerful for us too handle

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GI_Clutch posted:

Nintendo Life posted a video outlining all of the things 3D World is missing (and gains). It seems Fire Bros. are unique to 3D World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmaJDMbjxEw

I wonder if they'll add patches to change this. Obviously there's some stuff that wouldn't work outside 3D world but there's also plenty that would, and 3D world missing some really basic stuff like mushroom platforms is just weird. It seems like something that just comes down to them not having enough time to model all this stuff for each style, which I'd be totally fine with if they said they were gonna add some of it later.

Mario Maker was really good with updates but I dunno how this one will go.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question: How does the size of stages, both vertically and horizontally, compare to Mario Maker 1? Are they the same size or bigger? One thing I didn't like about Mario Maker 1 is that the max stage size didn't feel big enough too me. I always felt like I needed to put in a sub-zone to really wring out the potential of my levels. Which is fine in some cases, but sometimes I wanted to make a simpler level that was just a tiny bit longer. Breaking those up with sub-zones is kind of annoying.

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't have a WiiU so I didn't personally play SMM1 but my impression is that for the most part the deletions will be annoying but not devastating when making like, a normal mario level. But losing oneways, bumpers, and tracks will be a complete dealbreaker when making crazy poo poo.

Like the video says, its not a huge deal if you plan around it, but anything that limits your potential in a building game is always a problem. For example, say I want to make a level themed around ant troopers. Well, right off the bat I have to pick 3D world, which locks out a bunch of options that might paired well with my level either mechanically or thematically.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone else just going to make Mario levels that would be fitting in a real game and not just be a dick?

Those are the levels I usually like to make, but sometimes I do more gimmicky stuff.

One thing I liked in Mario Maker 1 was making levels inspired by one of my favorite games... but now I kind of hate that game so I'm not sure I wanna do it again. Lots of people make levels based on other games but I liked doing ones that were more abstract and just stood on their own two feet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

J-Spot posted:

GameXplain has a new video out detailing the object limits for SMM2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvXVe0hNXo

A lot of this is the same as the first game with the notable exception of ground tiles and blocks. You can now have up to 4,000 ground tiles per area plus 2,000 other block types. In the first game you were limited to 2,000 combined.

Also of note is you can only place 5 snake blocks, 10 ! blocks, and 10 track blocks per area. This feels like a pretty harsh limit and will kill some ideas for levels that could have been built based around these.

The limit increase is cool, but wtf is with only being able to place 10 ! blocks? That definitely wasn't in Mario Maker 1. gently caress I bet a lot of standard Mario levels have more than 10 of those.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

multijoe posted:

The SM3DW ! Blocks weren't in Mario Maker 1 at, are you mixing them up with ? blocks?

:downs: I'm stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The first levels that get uploaded are gonna be hot garbage so I'm probably just gonna make my own stuff and play story mode.