Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They acknowledged that Mario 1 stages would be boring as all hell when compared to the others and that's why they included the ? Mushrooms, so taking them out seems really stupid and is actually a bit upsetting :( . I liked making themed levels.

I know the reason is because of online play but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that you can turn off screen scroll with the big line of blocks, but I hope that means you won't get any outside interference.

Like if I place a Bowser on the other side of where the screen scrolls, I don't want him shooting his wallhack fireballs into the bonus room off screen.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna make a long tower stage. In the main world it will have sectioned off pieces to stop screen scrolling and a pipe.

Use the Pipe to create a inside the tower illusion with the background and you have to climb up. Enter a pipe at the end of the first chunk and your back outside for a checkpoint flag. Enter the tower again and it resumes.

Idea is to add stuff like clouds the higher up you go, ice blocks etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm looking at my old levels and wishing I pestered streamers to play them more because "man I made some good levels in the past, I wish I could see them again" :downs:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I never got any of my stages deleted and I made some pretty stupid ones so like, I don't understand what the criteria is.

One of them was literally just the words BUY UNDERTALE with a sans face and no danger.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 20, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It took a handful of rewatches to notice, but the checkpoint flags no longer make you Super Mario, so if you're small you stay small.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looking back at Mario Maker 1, if you used the 8-bit Amiibo mushrooms all the enemies would get silly reskins of luigi or toad or mario.

If you reskin Bowser though;

Wonder if Odyssey's finale was already decided at this point :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would a sequel for this kind of game remove content

I mean, mystery mushrooms.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm just happy comments are back. I adore making levels and testing the hell out of them so whenever I got fanart or people complimenting them it just made my entire day.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No online with friends is so lovely that it killed a lot of my hype. Who the gently caress cares about playing with people you cant communicate with at all.

It might as well just be bots

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bro your ranking though, gotta care about that ranking!!

Kill online versus and give me mystery shrooms back. I will gladly make the trade

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah its losing out on themed Mario 1 stages as the main draw, but the small super Mario limits it pretty hard as well.

You can play as Luigi, Toad and Toadette now in singleplayer but I could do that already with the costume shrooms.

No more kirby, metroid or zelda levels for me :(

E: the replacement is the 8 bit anniversary mega mushroom that no one used

E2: Really I dont get why Mario 1 is a style anymore. It has nothing going for it unless you are Really fond of that 8 bit Mario

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 28, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like people asking why this is the straw breaking people are ignoring the fact this is multiple straws now.

Paying 20 bucks for basically nothing.
Smash online being bad.
No online with Mario Party.
Splatoon not letting people play together with friends on the same team

Now this. It's all adding up and now boiling over because it's just so loving dumb, man :sigh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Two minor aesthetic things I hope are changed,
The Helmets no longer wobble on Mario's head in Mario World. It looks really strange and bothers me to the point I never included them in that style as "yuck that's bad!"

The graphics to be updated in NSMB style. The original game cheated by having all the enemies and assets be sprites instead of 3D models which led to really stiff animation on some enemies. I like NSMB Castle levels but the sprites slightly bugged me- now that 3D World has actual models I hope they can update that style.

Also I really hope they make it so you can only place a single meowser per zone. Triple Bowser was already shitpost tier and all he can do is jump back and forth and shoot fireballs or whatever. Watching footage of Meowser it looks like he can dive off the stage and pop up in the foreground to do some quick snipe shots at you, swim into the background to do the same and bound underneath the stage to ambush you. Having 3 of them seems kind of awful.

I also wonder if you can stack anything on him or put him on anything. With how dynamic he is I feel like he'd just leap off of a enemies head and become normal or something.

E: I hope they also fixed the camera. I remember in a handful of stages that after a certain point if you climbed high enough Mario would be in the middle of the screen which made making vertical sections pretty annoying to build and be fair.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 5, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

you literally fight multiple meowsers at once in the actual fight from mario 3d world

Well yeah, but you weren't restricted to a completely 2D plane where he blocks half the screen if he decides to faff about in the foreground.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want a blitzkrieg mario maker 2

https://pokyfriends.com/bkmario/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand what this site is about.

It's for Mario Maker 1. It tells you which tools your allowed to use, and which 4 of them should be "featured" the most. Goal is to build a stage with what it rolls for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

What features would you want from this?

(I'm afraid Dr. DOS never PMd me back.)

Honestly just hoping for it to be updated with all the new tools that's all :v:
I had fun making a few courses in the tail end based off what it gave me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it would be cool if Nintendo put some restrictions or slight nerfs on things.

If you're making coins a goal for example you can't put them in hidden blocks.
If a enemy has a key they have a slight gold glow around them.
Blocks with enemies in them quiver every few seconds.

Just to cut at some of the lovely things that people will try to abuse.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did they remove music blocks (as in, actual music pink blocks)

I haven't seen a single one yet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Those stages were pretty good but got I hate how they had to kill bowser. That took foreverrr.

Also I wish there was a POW block you could place and it's not able to be picked up- and can even float. I was kind of hoping for that when they showed the flashy ones.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if you can stop the screen scroll if you place a line of blocks horizontally.

I liked making giant/tiny stages like Mario 3 had and using doors would be more authentic. Make the top half of the grid small. Bottom part of the grid is big. Door to swap between the two.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah the idea of playtesting regular, then speed run, then without run at all to remove your muscle memory, tweaking during each test phase, is really smart.

This is how I made my levels in MM1 :v:

I thought this was honestly the smartest way to do it so surprised others weren't doing it beforehand.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm like 20 stars away from the final medal. It makes me happy that 4 years later that number is still slooowly climbing up somehow.

It would be nice to hit it before MM2 but eh :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

3D world is weird as it looks like Nintendo doesn't want people to make gimmick stages- they want real stages only. No stacking of goombas and the removal of the made up platforms is just kind of odd otherwise.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doki doki planner should be saved for when the dlc releases

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Q_res posted:

That French guy is streaming SMM2 again, he's currently running around a level using the new Hammer power up. There's a couple surprising abilities for that power up.

The Hammer will destroy Thwomps when you swing it and Mario can toss blocks out to stand on.

Is there a link?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Q_res posted:

Here you go

Thank you!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do we know if Peepa's are unlocked from the start or are they just boo options? They showed up in the 3D World clips during the direct but nobody comments on them, and I don't see them in enemy wheels.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 26, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DV_BQQslfw

Clean Super Ball footage

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I really don't get how Peepa's work and have only seen them in a few small clips. They kinda look like boo buddies (the rings) but you can decide how many are in the ring, and it looks like you can place them in the foreground and the background to mess with peoples depth perception.

I do like that they turn into little outlines when traveling through ground tiles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LET ME IN