Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The reason why it was stupid for me to make this thread is that the information flow about this game is likely to be:
The 90 second trailer we just saw this week.
Nothing for four months.
An entire day of tree house at e3, possibly with a Nintendo World Championship.
At the end of that day they say "and you can play it right now/next week!"

We can play each other's levels again while we wait, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I can never seem to fire the creative engines up myself, though I never tried very hard in the original either. Loved messing with other people's creations though so this is very much a day one pre-order (please don't pre-order)

pfff, I had it preordered before best buy had the thumbnail loaded up, but also I can't think of a single game other than Mario Maker that I played for at least an hour daily for eight months in a row.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I'm really hoping to see the ability to attach keys or other items to boss kills this time.

I'm pretty sure you can already attach keys to enemies.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also should mention if you're wanting to hunt through the old levels people are posting, the Super Mario Maker Firefox Add-On/Chrome Extension still exists and works and will link Mario Maker level codes to their appropriate Mario Maker Bookmark page and also add a +/- symbol that will add/remove the level to your bookmarks when you click it as long as you're logged into the site.

Makes going through long lists of levels much more tolerable to keep track of, especially if you're, say, going through a massive list of them through a spreadsheet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I realize that making a Yoshi's Island tileset would probably take a ton of doing but I think I could be happy if you could just make Yoshi the playable character in the tilesets where he appears so you can at least make stuff that could feel like a Yoshi's Island stage without having to put a million eggs everywhere and basically make yourself invincible with a ton of free hits.

I guess I also never reshared my bookmarks page for this thread

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Phantasium?type=posted

I started just making a bunch of generic stuff (which actually got deleted), got a ton of people playing the Mariovania stage, and then went off on a tangent of making micro levels that take place all in one screen. Aside from those I'm particularly proud of the stage that is just a long bowser boss fight, the stage I made that has tanks that chase you, and the wario stage where I put a bunch of microlevels together.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i want multiple tracks for every costume

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I've reuploaded one of my levels but it's also been years since then and I might have added something to it.

Also I'd just assume unless you see a bunch of Xs in your easy level that you've got a low completion percentage just because people see your level and don't even bother playing it. Maybe because they recognize 1-1 and just quit out?

I know aside from popularity that Nintendo will also delete levels if they violate some nebulous rules I don't remember, maybe because the level has the word murderers in it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe my levels are poo poo but it never took me more than a single play session unless I ran out of ideas.

Couple hours?

Of course the types of levels I made the most of were single screen levels!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you get popular people to play your levels you get more medals and more medals means you can upload more stages.

Also the whole point of the game is getting people to play your levels, so, it's fun to see what other people think of it in a way that's more tangible than just a number or Xs attached to your level map?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The 100 Mario challenge is sort of a good way to tackle that, but can't you just outright skip levels in that, if they're too hard?

You can skip levels but you usually only find out if a level is crap or bullshit by wasting a life or two on it, nevermind the people who make it so that you literally can't skip a level until you've died once; you can only skip on solid ground or after you've died, if a level starts you in motion into a bullshit scenario you just get ripped off.

Also if you get lives in that mode they add to your total count if you beat the level (up to 3 per level).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not like everything for the first game was there at launch, or that there isn't time to show off more new features considering there's only the first trailer and not even a hard release date other than "June"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We got a hard release date

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1121171963001606145

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm gonna make you surf on those lava guys

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Athletic theme was the one from SMB3, notably from 1-4?

They're talking about for Mario World, there's an Athletic theme in a bunch of Mario games, but in Mario Maker 1 the "sky" theme in World was just an airship theme level with fortress music and now there's a non-fortress version with the athletic theme from World like in that level where you sacrifice Yoshi.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We're getting a Mario Maker 2 nintendo direct tomorrow.

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/super-mario-maker-2-direct-set-for-may-15

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just let me play as Yoshi by himself. Yoshi's Island tileset would be rad but I'm a realist.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

online multiplayer holy gently caress

dlc game styles gently caress yes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Every theme in every style is getting a night mode right? I can wait to see how the 3D stuff looks.

Argue posted:

Then there's several Super Mario 3D World clips that appear to take place in some kind of toybox-like biome.

Considering swapping your style to 3D World deletes whatever level you have active, I'm going to assume it doesn't necessarily adhere to the same rules wrt night time levels or level themes, which is probably a good thing going forward as it means whatever dlc mario styles come out won't necessarily be bound to playing the same which clears the path for Mario 2/Yoshi's Island maybe stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Like make your own kart track? I'm not sure how much fun there would be in that.

People made it fun already just by making Mario wear a Mario Kart costume in the first game and then putting blocks at the top of the level that make it play Mario Kart music.

Also that level from 3D World.

I think it'd be aces myself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hybrid water levels/literally anything in the 3D world style

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they were saying boo-urns, don't worry

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i got every god damned costume in the first game except for that drat hard flyswatter one (my hands can't do it, even when cheating) and the trash of expert and super expert still haunt me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i kept misreading that as mario 3 world 3 and was like "gently caress yeah i like water levels too"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm gonna make you surf the lava snakes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you really want to test your limits, play New Super Mario Bros. 2

I know I beat that game and I couldn't tell you a thing about it that wasn't "they want you to grab a lot of coins."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The ground starts premade.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Every video I've seen shows Mario starting on the edge of a cliff facing empty space. Is premade ground a selectable option or something?

sorry, i was thinking of something else

making ground is one of the things that you can make incredibly fast though so it's not a problem.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It could just be night mode related.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think losing the ability to have an extra hit but still have the proportions of regular mario kinda sucks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Willo567 posted:

So with the strangers only problem trending on Twitter, what are the chances of a delay happening?

Zero. They'll patch it in at a later date if it's being added at all, MM1 wasn't feature complete at launch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In my mind the problem is more that you can't time it to anything, since it's based on where Mario is as opposed to anything else they just end up coming out at random times and that means you can't always get them to act consistently even if you were to run the stage the exact same way each time. You can try to make a challenge where you have to wait between plants but if you screw up their spawning bad enough you can just skip them and make them irrelevant. It'd be nice to have something almost like the timed firewalls except for piranha plants.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I hope there's something we don't find out until the Invitational, finding out about the clown car from watching people compete in a Nintendo stage while onstage was hype as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a star tab in the course world that looks like it could be used for bookmarks. The first game used stars to denote you upvoting a level but SMM2 seems to have replaced that with Hearts so the stars are now an unknown. I don't think that just because they haven't elaborated on a bookmark site that it doesn't exist, and it's not like a site would be active before the game is out.

Like yeah the site didn't appear for the first game until after the fact, but the first game also didn't have level descriptors when you uploaded them at launch either (something they spent time in a direct showing) which is something the bookmark site used readily.

Unless there's some footage that contradicts this, I've only looked at the directs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the world demands the return of john numbers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So how many of ya'll are gonna remake your favorite levels from Mario Maker 1?

I'm going to be so busy making Super Mario 3D World 2 that I won't have time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's probably still individually done and they just have the person that skips drop out, if it's just random people playing online anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game ever made, so no.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I just thought it was cute that there was a dog in the sky...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I never wanna see an auto-music level again

Wow you recreated an awful 15 seconds sample of Megolavania! Have 500 stars! :regd09:

One of the better levels I played was one where the top half of the screen was music blocks you wouldn't see playing Megalovania BUT also the bottom of the level was an incredibly fast and precise auto scroller level that transitioned between areas with pipes and at the end of each section ended with stuff that recreated that fight, it was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Where they don't try to attach it to anything so it just looks like a random piece of junk in the middle of the level instead of something in the environment.