Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I didn't get the original one because by the time I had money it was clear that Wii U was dying, so I'm incredibly excited!
Can't wait to put Koopas in cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Man, I love how many cool objects they revealed that are not only useful, but can also make the levels much prettier. Colored pipes are probably my favorite! There are a few weird things, though. Much like many people, I really don't get why the water is only available in the Forest theme. That's a bummer. Not like addtion of "add water/lava" button would make the editor so much more complicated. With 3D World there's a lot of new things, quite a few grabbable objects, some have interactions with ground pound, and overall, porting every single one would probably delay the game for a pretty long time, not to mention it would feel kinda bloated.

Also not sure how I feel about night themes having their own gimmicks that, I assume, can't be turned off. Not that the gimmicks are bad, but 3-1 from the original Super Mario Bros was probably my favorite level in that game, and I'd like to mess around with night theme without all kinds of weird poo poo going on.

One thing I'm really not liking is the addition (I assume the first game didn't have it) of the "boo" button. Like, sure, I'll probably use it for those insane courses that require glitches, luck and pixel-perfect jumps to beat, but I wouldn't want children to be downvoted into oblivion because they had some fun with a million thwomps.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

I saw somebody suggest that the "Boos" might not be shown to the level creator but just used to determine what gets shown in endless mode. It's basesless speculation, but it seems a Nintendo thing to do.

Makes sense.
Eh, I just feel like if it's gonna be like the Like bar on youtube, kids are going to get discouraged from making things. But yeah, it's probably not going to get shown.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember getting to world 3-1 in SMB1 for the first time, and being kind of blown away. That's weird, given that I had never experienced anything like this entire game in my life, and prior to 3-1, there were underground levels, water levels, sky/suspended platform levels. Yet there was something super charming to me (even though I didn't know exactly that it was charming at the time... I was 6) about the black background, but especially that first time when you get to a bridge, and there are little waves of water underneath it. My imagination started thinking about what it must be like to be IN the game itself, walking across a bridge, looking down at weird, videogame water. I don't know why I gave that little part more attention than anything in the rest of the game, but I did, and since then, I've absolutely loved that look.

I can't wait to make little water bridges in SMB1 night levels :3:

Oh, never thought I'd encounter someone who shares my opinion!
3-1 was special to me, and later on, when I didn't have anything to play it on, that was the level I was most nostalgic about. It's a very good level, and I think white pipes alongside black bacgrounds make it look incredible! And yeah, if I remember correctly, it's the only level with a little lake in it. Doesn't do anything, you still fall down, but it sure is prettier than a normal pit. I think Mario Maker still doesn't look quite right with its little stars, but eh, not like I'm going to complain that my SMB1 night level isn't as pretty.

I do hope you can switch the night version gimmicks off, sinse I generally like night levels more, but it's really not a big deal if you can't.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm so loving excited! Obviously not reading spoilers or text dumps.

Haven't played Mario Maker 1, so not sure what that thread was, but I assume people were sharing their levels and all that? Because that sounds incredible. Always nice to have a place for good levels (or at least levels where people try) and following each other. Sometimes I enjoy weird garbage and those strange levels I saw on Youtube, but I would imagine they get old real quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if there'll be any sort of Nintendo-organized event, like with Tetris99.

Could they even do that?

Well, there were special levels they would upload occasionally, and considering this has a customizable mii feature, why not. Beat the Invitational level - get a hat. Doubt they'll do "win 999 points if you do x" though. Although with 100 Mario being replaced with high score thing, who knows.