Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, I'm so stoked for this game! I had so much fun with the first one, both making and playing levels, and the brief trailer was just packed with crazy additions. I did enjoy playing goon levels as well, even if I never really participated in the old thread myself. And I've gone and bookmarked all the profiles posted here. Looks like it's time to hook up the ol' Wii U again!
I do hope they have some manner of comment system, though. At very least the levels would seem rather empty without those "highest!" comments littered everywhere. But some of my best memories of the game was coming across other awesome Mario Makers online, playing and commenting their courses, and watching as they'd do the same. I found a number of cool players where we'd mutually play through each others' courses like this.

Since all the cool kids are doing it, here's my Mario Maker Bookmark profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/raccoon?type=posted

And a few highlights:
This one got stupidly popular for some reason. It's a ghosty tower with some scrolling tricks at the end.
Some of my favorite courses I made were those that had a bit of a narrative, like this one, where you go trespassing in Old Man Wiggler's house, or this one, where you take down a metal Godzilla from the inside.
Towards the end, I got obsessed with Bill Blasters and the kinds of novel tricks you could pull off with them. I got a few good levels out of playing with these ideas.

As for dream features I'd like to see, there's one simple one I'd love: the ability to divide up your level into distinct areas. I'm not talking anything fancy, just being able to add/remove little walls on your course map where it's already got the screen length indicators. And these walls would act as the edge of a screen, so the camera would stop scrolling beyond it, and nothing on the other side would load. It would make a huge difference when making courses with a lot of doors or pipes, where you want to convey, say, an area that's inside a house, or a number of single-screen underground secrets. Right now, all you can do is either space these areas far apart, which can be wasteful, or else allow the player to see the other bits of the level beyond the walls, which can be awkward.
I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh I just meant levels that goons here have made. Without having the original game, it's the only way for some to experience these levels people are linking to.

Alright, that makes sense.
I can find at least one video of one of my levels being played. This one's for the metal Godzilla level, "The Iron Monster of Prof. Von-Omb" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-e3j1uI0o

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

SilverSupernova posted:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F0C0-0000-01F1-FADE
Thwomp's Revenge: A sequel I made to my first after learning more about level design and having more tools to work with.

I enjoyed this one! It's got a solid theme for a fortress, and I loved the escalating boss rooms at the end.

I liked the "Do you even lift?" level best. It's got a solid concept that it explores well in variations. I enjoyed it!

DarkLich posted:

I'm very hopeful towards some actual "World" support. There are already a few things that will help, such as more background variety type. An actual interface or linked levels would be a massive help though.

With SMM, I managed to create 8 worlds with 4 levels each, roughly fitting into a theme. Looks like it'll be much easier to do this time around!

If anyone is interested in playing them, here are links to the old posts. Personal favorites are Mech 4, Ancient 3, and Vine 1.

Island World & Frozen World
Vine World
Mech World
Ancient World
Sky World
Magic World
Bowser’s World

Hot dang, those are some excellent levels! I've been playing them pretty much at random, but I've loved every one! You've got excellent theming going for both the worlds and individual levels. And you really nail the level decoration. Kudos!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Last Visible Dog posted:

As for dream features I'd like to see, there's one simple one I'd love: the ability to divide up your level into distinct areas. I'm not talking anything fancy, just being able to add/remove little walls on your course map where it's already got the screen length indicators. And these walls would act as the edge of a screen, so the camera would stop scrolling beyond it, and nothing on the other side would load. It would make a huge difference when making courses with a lot of doors or pipes, where you want to convey, say, an area that's inside a house, or a number of single-screen underground secrets. Right now, all you can do is either space these areas far apart, which can be wasteful, or else allow the player to see the other bits of the level beyond the walls, which can be awkward.
I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, though.

Oh man, I got my wish, and they implemented it in such a simple manner, too! I didn't actually expect this one to happen!