Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna make an underground level with an identical sub-area but the sub-area is upside down and all the switches are on, where the main area all the switches are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can copy and paste the tiles with the fluff you want though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NSMB2's Coin Rush mode is really fun and I hope against hope that it'll show up as an option in this game.

You could make fun "Collect X coins and reach the goal in time" levels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah no mystery mushroom is fine but it needs a "small but can break blocks and take a hit" replacement power. I'd say just builder Mario and friends would be sufficient though I think that's a powerup on its own from that once hammer icon on the Japanese direct.

Well actually I guess small with beetle shell is functionally identical, except you can't stack another beetle on it, and costume Mario can't bounce enemies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Cook posted:

Making your level look nice is all part of even creating one. I had a penchant for putting giant Chain Chomps and Dry Bones in "cages" in all my castle levels. Makes it seem like Bowser is this awful, tyrannical ruler but we all know he's just a dad doing his best.

They are in those cages for their own protection.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any other kind?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not going by the interface we saw in the direct.
If this means less DGR videos I have to hear in the background from my son watching then good loving riddance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it has a lot of cool nonreplicable mechanics and am excited to try its new physics.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not really the meta. When people put hidden coin traps that tend to surround them with a box of tracks or an arrow pointing at them, so the challenge is jumping in a way you go around or not rushing through without paying attention, rather than just being waylaid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Were they confused? They set the condition themselves, looks like they were just testing it out and some various other things, they weren't trying to clear it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was an amiibo exclusive power-up in the first one except it also changed a lot of other sprites in that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it shows the clear condition when you start the level

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love spin jumping, but my favorite is when you spin jump off of several enemies in a row where instead of bouncing off, they fuckin explode, and you fall down slightly slower. I love putting in a level a small segment where you bounce off a spiny or something then cascade down a stairway of goombas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where the gently caress is John Numbers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Round one winners may get a head start in round two

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So eliminating any mystery or fun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope they haven't fixed the giant gap. It's a way you can exploit how the physics works to make grabbing a powerup activate a P switch. Another fun one is using a block on a path to push a Thompson, giving it a very weird path

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Music is one of the available level tags

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like attaching a pipe to another pipe facing the opposite direction

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

Does Mario Maker have the glitches like where you can do a weird jump and then glitch through a block, and can I make a level that requires such a thing to move on.

There's a couple like that that still work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxc2EkbaZjc

There's how to make good levels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can make moving walls with bullet blasters or blocks on tracks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not really. Boom boom can't shoot or throw ball, or act as a stationary jumping guard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah that's why I said not much point to Chargin Chuck. The other Chucks do different things.

They are all charging chucks. They revert to charging mode after being hit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's a good chance they can.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if you can put a moon or sun in a question block to switch mid level without going down a pipe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watch DGR

Hate him and his stupid exaggerated reactions but my kid eats it up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that was in a promo image before the Mario Maker 2 direct even came out anyway

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

Good actual level making design video

Ceave is one of the best Mario guys on YouTube. He has a ton of videos explaining different contraptions one can make in Mario Maker and how they could be implemented in levels

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the idea of playtesting regular, then speed run, then without run at all to remove your muscle memory, tweaking during each test phase, is really smart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that's a mock up, its barely animated and the character looks composited onto the level

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some items like sawblades are so basic it's pretty crazy they aren't in

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Same size as before horizontal. Vertical is slightly more area than horizontal.

I think levels will feel a bit bigger due to not needing padding sections to "hide" parts of your level you don't want seen thanks to camera lock

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why no intersecting clear pipes though?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think invisible tracks would lead to some terrible levels. They are visible because it's information that is important to know

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some mechanics experiments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaFAgG-dCQ

Is a shame most of the answers to "Can you do X?" seem to be no, especially keys at checkpoints.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found a page with my old levels on the Nintendo site. Most have completion of 10-14% which is pretty good. I can't find a way to find the level codes on those pages though. I don't have my WiiU, I'm hoping someone could play them on YouTube so I could show my kid

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

4BDD-0000-00DA-EB9A
E9B9-0000-00DA-E818
0D50-0000-00DA-E30C
A8EC-0000-00DA-DC5E
2F49-0000-00DA-D875
F0B6-0000-00DA-D361
5050-0000-00DA-CFB0

These are my Mega Man 3 remake stages. I had a Spark Man that for some reason is no longer listed... I don't think it used any banned glitches(or any glitches at all as far as I remember).

Also lol no wonder they shortened the level codes

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 24, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'll say. I thought not saving keys at checkpoints was just an oversight in the first game, so not seeing that fixed is surprising.

I'm surprised they didn't test giant Skipsqueeks triggering switches. I hope they do, like other giant enemies, because using enemies to trigger things makes for good contraptions.

If they can't be directly used, you can probably use them to activate switches in a more roundabout way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I say get your subscription then get 2 vouchers for $100. Get Mario Maker 2 and a Pokemon. You will want them on your system always.